• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 games on PS2

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
FF6 (on the anthologies disc). awesome game. awesome score. Squenix should update THAT game for ps3 instead of ff7.

jett

D-Member
Chrono Cross, a couple of days ago. Tried to play it again...but it's really hard to get back into oldschool RPGs. :p

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
I played through MegaMan X5 (bleh) a couple weeks ago. I foresee Tenchu in the future...

BenT

Stinkles said:
Also, HD lag guy - WTF is HD lag re. a console output? - are you talking about an actual delay between PS2 and TV? I've seen it happen on startup - but never a sync issue between my controller and what's happening on TV.
Yep, control lag. Like I tap the d-pad to move my ship and it doesn't actually move for a split-second. The delay is only fractions of a second but it's enough to render lots of games unenjoyable.

This is not an uncommon HDTV issue, unfortunately. The cause is all the signal processing that some HDTVs perform on an incoming interlaced signal. That takes time, so it can't deliver the image to the screen right away. Sometimes you can disable certain bits of the processing in the menus or service menu, but I've never heard of anyone fixing the lag problem.

Tain

Gradius Gaiden, I think, and maybe a month ago.

Yep, control lag. Like I tap the d-pad to move my ship and it doesn't actually move for a split-second. The delay is only fractions of a second but it's enough to render lots of games unenjoyable.

This is not an uncommon HDTV issue, unfortunately. The cause is all the signal processing that some HDTVs perform on an incoming interlaced signal. That takes time, so it can't deliver the image to the screen right away. Sometimes you can disable certain bits of the processing in the menus or service menu, but I've never heard of anyone fixing the lag problem.

I knew I wasn't crazy the last time I tried playing IIDX on the upstairs TV.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wow. That sucks. I suppose they bump the audio too so you wouldn't notice on video. I have two HD sets and they seem to be immune, thank gawd.

APF

Last week I started to play:

grandia4vw.jpg

But my PS2 repeatedly crashed in battle. It also fails on FFVIII. :(

So emu to the rescue.

Bebpo

Banned
BenT said:

+1 CRT HDTVs :)

I think I played through the beginning of Grandia several months ago. I still have several RPGs I need to play on it (Grandia, Lunar 2, DW7, Valkyrie Profile if I ever find it) and having just purchased a new television and gotten PS2 component cables (upgrading from composite) I'll definitely play through one of them soon. I also feel the urge to play Chrono Cross again after that last thread about it.

Ironclad

APF said:
Last week I started to play:

grandia4vw.jpg

But my PS2 repeatedly crashed in battle. It also fails on FFVIII. :(

So emu to the rescue.
Hey, I was playing Grandia on my PS2 just yesterday. Re-started it about a week ago. It has been far too long since I have played this.

A little Xenogears, a bit of Chrono Cross to reaffirm my passable skills after Matador repeatedly handed me a gift-wrapped version of my ass in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Hey.... someone mentioned Grandia. I've been peering at this one. Help me out here; I'm a real stickler for turn-based RPGs - and by turn-based I mean no ATB or such. As in, when it's my turn, I can put down the controller, go out for pizza, come back 6 hours later, and it's still right where I left it - no timers. Is Grandia like this? or is it more ATB like FFVII or Chrono Trigger?

BenT

Stinkles said:
Wow. That sucks.
Quite! I think this issue will get more attention over the next few years.
I suppose they bump the audio too so you wouldn't notice on video.
Not sure.
I have two HD sets and they seem to be immune, thank gawd.
You'd have to run a series of varied game tests to be sure. For whatever reason I've found that R-Types for PS1 is an excellent test game.
Bebpo said:
+1 CRT HDTVs :)
Nah, display tech has nothing to do with it, AFAIK. Sorry. ;) I first noticed the lag problem on my roommate's Sony 34XBR800 ... a CRT. Oddly, I couldn't notice it in all games on that set. On my current LCD I notice it in everything. I guess the only certainty is that if a game is 480i (ie, not progressive) then there's a chance an HDTV could lag it.

APF

grandiatitle6gn.jpg

Sea-Dragon said:
Hey.... someone mentioned Grandia. I've been peering at this one. Help me out here; I'm a real stickler for turn-based RPGs - and by turn-based I mean no ATB or such. As in, when it's my turn, I can put down the controller, go out for pizza, come back 6 hours later, and it's still right where I left it - no timers. Is Grandia like this? or is it more ATB like FFVII or Chrono Trigger?
The battle system will stay waiting for your cue as long as you need; it'll pause the combat and bring-up a command menu:

grandiabattle7hr.jpg

Then you choose your action, which will take a certain amount of time/movement, and during which other actions may take place, or other characters' place in the command list will come up, etc.

Bebpo

Banned
BenT said:
Nah, display tech has nothing to do with it, AFAIK. Sorry. ;) I first noticed the lag problem on my roommate's Sony 34XBR800 ... a CRT. Oddly, I couldn't notice it in all games on that set. On my current LCD I notice it in everything. I guess the only certainty is that if a game is 480i (ie, not progressive) then there's a chance an HDTV could lag it.

Theoretically that should be impossible. The lag you mention would be caused by the TV taking a few milli-seconds to change the resolution of the games image into the resolution of the TV.

But AFAIK if you play a 480i game on a CRT, because CRTs don't have fixed pixels it'll just show it at 480i exactly how a standard non-HDTV would show it. There is no conversion or anything so it should be impossible to experience lag on a CRT.

gblues

Banned
most recently.. I think either Dragon Warrior 7 or Metal Gear Solid.

My main complaint is that I have a widescreen HDTV and PS1 games look distorted in 16x9 mode. Is there any quick & easy way to force windowboxing (black pillars on left/right side) rather than scaling?

I haven't noticed any input lag yet. It's the new line from Samsung, the Slimline 30" widescreen direct view (CRT).

Nathan

Bebpo

Banned
gblues said:
most recently.. I think either Dragon Warrior 7 or Metal Gear Solid.

My main complaint is that I have a widescreen HDTV and PS1 games look distorted in 16x9 mode. Is there any quick & easy way to force windowboxing (black pillars on left/right side) rather than scaling?

I haven't noticed any input lag yet. It's the new line from Samsung, the Slimline 30" widescreen direct view (CRT).

Nathan

There should be an option on the TV to make pillars on the left/right and create a 4:3 image. I think all widescreen TVs have this option, though the colors might not be black (they're grey on my parent's tv).

BenT

Bebpo said:
Theoretically that should be impossible. The lag you mention would be caused by the TV taking a few milli-seconds to change the resolution of the games image into the resolution of the TV.

But AFAIK if you play a 480i game on a CRT, because CRTs don't have fixed pixels it'll just show it at 480i exactly how a standard non-HDTV would show it. There is no conversion or anything so it should be impossible to experience lag on a CRT.
I won't cross you on import RPGs, but you're a little misinformed on this one. Modern HDTVs, CRTs included, do a lot more to video signals than just scale the pixels. Line-doubling's the biggy, but they also do a bunch of other enhancement junk, which varies by set and manufacturer, in an effort to make the final picture look better. It may or may not actually look better, which depends largely on the viewer's tastes. But these processes can definitely introduce lag, even on a CRT.

"Try before you buy" remains really good advice.

Bebpo

Banned
BenT said:
I won't cross you on import RPGs, but you're a little misinformed on this one. Modern HDTVs, CRTs included, do a lot more to video signals than just scale the pixels. Line-doubling's the biggy, but they also do a bunch of other enhancement junk, which varies by set and manufacturer, in an effort to make the final picture look better. It may or may not actually look better, which depends largely on the viewer's tastes. But these processes can definitely introduce lag, even on a CRT.

"Try before you buy" remains really good advice.

Hmmm...ok I'll take your advice. But I was really hoping I wouldn't encounter any issues playing PS1 or earlier systems on an HDTV as long as I went the CRT route :\

Top Bottom