• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 and GC Resident Evil 4 Screenshot Comparison!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leguna

Banned
PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen005.jpg

GC Version:
535840_20050107_screen006.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen022.jpg

GC Version:
resident-evil-4-20050103002224762.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen023.jpg

GC Version:
resident-evil-4-20050103002229699.jpg

GC Version:
re4_ss09.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen002.jpg

GC Version:
5.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen020.jpg

GC Version:
t_010.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen008.jpg

GC Version:
535840_20050107_screen003.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen021.jpg

925156_20050516_screen003.jpg

925156_20050516_screen004.jpg

925156_20050516_screen017.jpg

925156_20050516_screen024.jpg

925156_20050516_screen006.jpg

They look identical to me.

The GCN version looks noticeably better than the PS2 version. The PS2 version still looks pretty nice though.

I lol'd at the pics of the item screens.

Forsete

Gold Member
The only difference that I can see is in the textures (minor) and the brightness (though that probably is the capture cards fault, different brightness/contrast settings).

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
The color are a little washed out, some polys are missing here and there and some textures are blurrier but it still looks good. And the game is not only about great gfx but also about good gameplay.

Great games all around.

LakeEarth

In the one screen comparison, I don't see the flowing curtains that is in the GC version, but I don't remember, is that the same room? Should there be flowing curtains in that room?

You can't really compare through screenshots. Different capture cards can cause differences in the exact same screenshot. You'd be better off watching videos of both.

But anyway, I finished Resident Evil 4 for like the fourth time just this morning...Such an amazing game!

those screens are from an old PS2 build. Lets wait for the game to come out before making any comparisons.

The new trailer Capcom showed at the Sony party had no slowdown during gunfights/explosions, the e3 build did.

Well, it pretty clearly shows that the GCN isn't the most graphically amazing game of all time and that the PS2 is easily doing it justice. It'll be interesting to see hand on impressions of the moving versions of the game.

Flo_Evans

the PS2 version looks like it lacks real shadows on Leon. He looks like he is lit with a genaric 'all over' light source.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Sholmes said:
The PS2 screens also look way brighter or were taken at a higher contrast.

Thats what I was thinking. They look washed out.

Also, I really think they fucked up the look of this monster

He looked cooler in the GC version. Why did they change the model?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Milhouse31 said:
The color are a little washed out, some polys are missing here and there and some textures are blurrier but it still looks good. And the game is not only about great gfx but also about good gameplay.

Great games all around.

Too much intelligence in this post.

Can we get Zeo in here stat and bring the IQ down?

Doom_Bringer said:
those screens are from an old PS2 build. Lets wait for the game to come out before making any comparisons.

The new trailer Capcom showed at the Sony party had no slowdown during gunfights/explosions, the e3 build did.

Hmm...where might I find this trailer?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Musashi Wins! said:
Too much intelligence in this post.

Can we get Zeo in here stat and bring the IQ down?

no need to, i'll make the post

"WOW YOU GUYS ARE DUMB, GC VERSION CLEARLY LOOKS SUPERIOR. WHO CARES ABOUT HDD LOADING? I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT HDLOADER IS AND IT DOESNT MATTER. DID YOU HAVE TO BUY A HDD FOR THE GAMECUBE TO HAVE SMALL LOAD TIMES? NOPE. LOL. WHY DID YOU GUYS WAIT 10 MONTHS FOR THE PS2 VERSION WHEN YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT A USED GC AND RE4 FOR ABOUT $80?"

Buggy Loop

Wtf is this comparison? There's not even a single scene thats the same between ps2 and GC, its even mixed up, YOU SUCK AT THE INTERNET MISTER.

the screens are captured with differente cards ;)

ps2 version lack in poly count-light-texture very low res-screen polish and may other things.

Gc version is in a very superior step.

Ristamar

Dr_Cogent said:

Heh, I was wondering if I was the only one who thought he looked different.

Jeff-DSA

I don't know how you can even think they look identical. Can we get some shots of El Gigante side-by-side?

The PS2 uses probably 1/3 of the polygons in a lot of situations. Look at Leon, he seems to have lost quite a few polys himself.

Leguna

Banned
TO ALL:
I realize the context of the screen shots the method of capturing are different, but until the PS2 version is out, I can't do anything but use what's out there and I tried my best to find similar screenshots. Sorry.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Leguna said:
TO ALL:
I realize the context of the screen shots the method of capturing are different, but until the PS2 version is out, I can't do anything but use what's out there

I look forward to that final judgement.

Jeff-DSA said:
I don't know how you can even think they look identical. Can we get some shots of El Gigante side-by-side?

The PS2 uses probably 1/3 of the polygons in a lot of situations. Look at Leon, he seems to have lost quite a few polys himself.

:lol

I like how can tell what fraction of polys has been lost.

LakeEarth

Dr_Cogent said:

They didn't...
There are 4 El Gigante monsters in the game.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
LakeEarth said:
They didn't...
There are 4 El Gigante monsters in the game.

They did. I played the game long enough to know - that's a different model than what was in the GC version.

Ristamar

LakeEarth said:
He looks the same to me.

He looks similar, but it looks like the textures were dragged through some sort of fugly filter and some polys were lost in the process. Perhaps I'm just not remembering him correctly...

Borys

Banned
Leguna - you fucking suck at comparisons.

Let me show you how we do it in Europe:

GCN
012np.jpg

PS2
028cb.jpg

GCN
033rh.jpg

PS2
127gg.jpg

GCN
080zl.jpg

PS2
045zj.jpg

GCN
113dr.jpg

PS2
053ah.jpg

GCN
101jd.jpg

PS2
066zh.jpg

SpokkX

ouch GC version really slaughters the ps2-version

gc-version has a kind of graphic quality that makes it seem unlike any other game..

where the ps2-version kind of seems like a silent hill game graphic wise..

LakeEarth

Ristamar said:
He looks similar, but it looks like the textures were dragged through some sort of fugly filter and some polys were lost in the process. Perhaps I'm just not remembering him correctly...
Yeah the texture/detail on him has gone down but he said they changed the "model". It's the same model, just looks worse because of the graphical downgrade (what really makes him look bad is that the 'lava haze' and red lighting isn't there to make the monster stand out).

robertsan21 said:
PS2 fanboys just cant accept that graphics on GC is better?
I'm a fucking Nintendo fanboy! I don't even own a PS2 :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Yeah the texture/detail on him has gone down but he said they changed the "model". It's the same model, just looks worse because of the graphical downgrade.

His face is different as well. The model was changed if polys were removed. He doesn't look the same.

fugimax

The lighting in the GCN version is far superior. Look for shadows/highlights on the models and environments. The PS2 has many flat-lit surfaces, while the GCN has a "deeper" feeling to it.

LakeEarth

Dr_Cogent said:
His face is different as well. The model was changed if polys were removed. He doesn't look the same.
Well admittedly I don't think I've gotten a good look on that one. I've only beaten the game twice and I think both times that model went down into the lava pit so maybe you're right.

Solid said:
and nboys cant accept that this version is superior with awesome new content?

:lol

i own this game on GC and i didnt even finish it as i found it to be boring!
so i do not care much for RE4 but to say that the PS2 version looks the same as the GC version is not right!

but hey the screens are not from the final build of the game maybe so it might become nicer when its released.......

Solid

well the only difference i see is that the colour is better on the gc. but when you look at the trailer there is no difference what so ever. guess it looks real good in motion.

As of now since the PS2 version isn't out, and we haven't seen the whole game and whatnot, there is really no way to say anything and have it be the official word. Personally I'm assuming that the PS2 version will still look good, but not quite up to par with the GameCube version. But that's just me.

Ponn

Banned
Solid said:
well the only difference i see is that the colour is better on the gc. but when you look at the trailer there is no difference what so ever. guess it looks real good in motion.

See suddenly the whole N-bot faction who normally doesn't give a shit about graphics suddenly became masters of discerning textures, polys, framerates and shadowing.

In truth i'm waiting for the posters of the pics to say they mixed up the labels for each one :lol

There are some texture differences, some shadows missing off Leon but honestly I am hugely surprised of the knock up job Capcom done on this. For those that held off on getting RE4 on the GC for the PS2 version I still say your dumb for waiting and depraving yourself. For those that had no choice to wait you are in for a treat. It's closer to comparing a GC game to a Xbox game then a PS2 game to a Xbox game. Most people will not be able to tell the difference on a regular TV from the looks of things. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom