• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 confirmed raytracing

Banned
ffff
Isn't Ray tracing a bit of a meaningless term?

I'm no expert but correct me if wrong. But we have stuff like quake raytraced, which is fully raytraced and can barely be handled by the most expensive gpus these days, in spite of its antique geometry etc.
And then we have stuff like metro and what not, where Raytracing means some puddle of mud's reflection looks slightly different to another when directly compared via Screenshots.

Given such a range of usages (and hardware requirements) , can we really infer anything meaningful from that statement?

Quake 2 RayTracing is a tech demo of a game that is 100% rendered using raytracing. this means everything you see on screen is rendered using data from lightrays that are shot from your view and bounced off of things.

in normal games this doesn't happen. usually games render the game like they would normally but use raytracing for rendering reflections or shadows only.

this is why quake 2 is so demanding

but the technique used is the exact same... it's just not used as extensively, but it's the same.

so raytracing is a useful term as it describes a certain way to render things

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Isn't Ray tracing a bit of a meaningless term?

I'm no expert but correct me if wrong. But we have stuff like quake raytraced, which is fully raytraced and can barely be handled by the most expensive gpus these days, in spite of its antique geometry etc.
And then we have stuff like metro and what not, where Raytracing means some puddle of mud's reflection looks slightly different to another when directly compared via Screenshots.

Given such a range of usages (and hardware requirements) , can we really infer anything meaningful from that statement?
Ray-tracing just mean you are using ray-tracing algorithm to render something instead of rasterization algorithm.

Both algorithms can be mixed in render time so you can render an object/effect with rasterization and another object/effect with ray-tracing.

You can have a game fully done with rasterization except the reflections.
Or a game fully rendered in ray-trading.

Devs are free to choose when and where to use rasterization and/or ray-tracing.

Keep in mind ray-tracing is more accurate than rasterization and for that it has way more calculations making it more demanding in terms of hardware.

Last edited:

Thabass

Your the one stupid here, both sony and microsoft have said theyll support 8k 120 fps gameplay and your here mr nobody probably sitting on a dildo in ur room claiming angrily that they wont be able to support it. So should we listen to ur pebble sized brain or listen to sony and ms representatives.

We can barely get 4K / 60FPS support now. Do you really think that 8K / 120FPS is going to exist at the start OR the end of the generation? I'd bet not.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ugh, i hope they are gonna forget this shit with esclusives titles...

Save rtx for some indie games where you have gpu power to spare for useless stuff.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ray-tracing just mean you are using ray-tracing algorithm to render something instead of rasterization algorithm.

Both algorithms can be mixed in render time so you can render an object/effect with rasterization and another object/effect with ray-tracing.

You can have a game fully done with rasterization except the reflections.
Or a game fully rendered in ray-trading.

Devs are free to choose when and where to use rasterization and/or ray-tracing.

Keep in mind ray-tracing is more accurate than rasterization and for that it has way more calculations making it more demanding in terms of hardware.

That is what annoyed me about Control’s comparison (RT on/off). They nuked pretty much all the rasterization that was used in their past games, and relied on RT for it all.

So without RT, a lot of the textures in the walls with glass turned into basic looking grey concrete like walls. It made RT look “so much better” in contrast, but the leap would not have been that substantial if the game had the common rasterization usage.

So those without RT, basically got a lower end game graphically in some key spots, than what you were accustomed to over the years.

It’s like one step forward, but two steps back if you don’t have a good RT card.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
tenor.gif

So fucking sick of hearing raytracing, it became new buzz word.

We can barely get 4K / 60FPS support now. Do you really think that 8K / 120FPS is going to exist at the start OR the end of the generation? I'd bet not.
8k 120 fps is going to be supported its a ps5 were talking about here not a midgen ps4 refresh, and maybe not in triple a titles but deffinetely on current ps4 games and back compatible titles,

simple measurement i always use is a 60 fps game runs with half the vram resources say a ps4 is capablr tp send 5.6 gb worth of data at 30fps this is because of bandwidth cap ps4 at 170gb/s divide by 30 fps = 5.6gb

So a ps5 with 24gb of vram at 672gb/s divide by 120 fps = 5.6gb so in theory a top ps4 title can run at 120fps on a ps5 if we concider memory specs but cpu wise i dont know

So fucking sick of hearing raytracing, it became new buzz word.

To be fair, it's the next step in graphics evolution. It represents that 2D to 3D jump everyone is expecting.

It will probably be another 10 years before it really hits its stride, however.

To be fair, it's the next step in graphics evolution. It represents that 2D to 3D jump everyone is expecting.

I really don’t think the average consumer will see a “2d to 3d” jump with ray tracing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

What!! Jump from 2D to 3D didn’t just changed the look of the games but also changed entire nature how we interact in games. Ray tracing is nothing more than making the games look more “pretty” it doesn’t really change nature of how we play games.

Reactions: Dis

sunnysideup

Banned
Does raytracing even effect the overall look of the graphics for a non-enthusiast. Pre-baked and rt look almost the same.

To me as a layman the biggest gain seems to be lessened workload for developers.

What!! Jump from 2D to 3D didn’t just changed the look of the games but also changed entire nature how we interact in games.

Raytracing can be used for graphics, audio, and physics. A fully raytraced game would be indistinguishable from reality*, other than the HUD.

(* - for example, the simulated universe we currently inhabit uses raytracing in abundance, with a maximum tick rate of 299,792,458 m/s)

I just want to add that the so-called "time dilation effect" in space (the sun being 8 minutes older than we see it) is nothing more than server lag.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It's so sad, when it explodes we won't even be able to see it live. BTW wasn't there a raytraced game on current gen consoles? Claybook or something like that? One could argue that it ran on hardware (the GPU). I am still not sold on any console's raytracing capabilities. Least of all when Spencer is also saying that frame rate is more important than resolution. So 60 fps raytracing in consoles? Doesn't seem like it's possible. And then there's AMD's approach to it. "Select raytracing features" in next gen RDNA, "full raytracing via Cloud" in the future. Why even bother creating a powerful offline method if you think that the future of it lies in Cloud Compute? I think both raytracing and SSD are buzz words for next gen that will experience a harsh reality check. When actual real life read speeds are closer to 500 MB/s and raytracing only works in online modes or something like that.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe Cerny needs to do another Wired article confirming Ray-tracing again because some "leaks" in another forum already disconfirmed Ray-tracing on PS5 based in GitHub data.

Top Bottom