• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

Karak

What features have you been disabling or not using dude? Also have you heard anything in the grapevine about a patch being released? So far Sony has said absolutely nothing which I'm finding quite strange.

PS: Love your content. Your reviews have really helped my purchase decisions so thank you!
I did get rest mode turned off. but then got the queue error. Which requires full wipe and restart. And did that. But now I have games popping out of the game or not loading. All internals. I saw the post about the 3 of the 5 in guys having the queue issue as well. That one I assume Sony will fix like today maybe if not tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
And this right here personifies the difference between social media and reality. Why? Because BG aka BrokengamezHD picked up a PS5, extra Dualsense, Spider-Man Miles Morales, and Demon Souls at launch.

I don't get this "being careful" logic.

Just play it and if you got a bad one, send it for repair. You can only delay the inevitable for so long if you have a buggy console.

Just enjoy it when you get it and cross that bridge if you get to it.

Alternatively you can be careful, wait for the patch and never risk breaking it in the first place.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Mate. I literally did most of the things you are advising against. Except I didn't pray to God over a gaming console, and unplugging the console while installing (that would be dumb, wouldnt it). My PS5 still works like Swiss clock-work.

The amount of paranoia generated over the couple of bricked/non working consoles (millions shipped) is astonishing. This brave new world of social media /internet forums, and all the dilettantes spreading the words of advice and wisdom, scares me more than bricking my console.
It's under the warranty, so it will get fixed.

Regards

Yup. Aside from some bugs, no major issues here. Social Media is made to cause panic and chaos.

I did get rest mode turned off. but then got the queue error. Which requires full wipe and restart. And did that. But now I have games popping out of the game or not loading. All internals. I saw the post about the 3 of the 5 in guys having the queue issue as well. That one I assume Sony will fix like today maybe if not tomorrow.

Good to know. If Sony are releasing a patch for that issue then hopefully they'll be working on patches for the other issues. Let's just hope it's not an issue with the hardware itself.

Reactions: Isa

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
OP, I have 10 PS5s hooked up in my living room and they all broke down at the same time. Didn't even make it to the boot screen. Fire and smoke came out through the vents, nearly burned my fucking house down. Had to put that shit out with a fire extinguisher.

You know what's coming to you on the 19th.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
People who buy consoles as soon as they launch are agreeing to be a bug tester its part of the experience

I noticed my controller only seems to charge when I’m playing, not while it’s in rest mode. I assume a patch will fix this.

Justin9mm

My intention isn't to get anyone to cancel anything, but if means people end up being more careful and they save their system from breaking then it's worth it.
Well I'll tell you what I did from the best of my memory.

I started the PS5, logged in to main screen on default user 1 because for some reason it did not give me the option to set up the internet connection straight away or I missed it as I don't have an ethernet cable plugged in where it is and had to connect to Wifi. So set up the Wifi - all connected. First thing I did was find where the hell the text read speech option is to turn it off because the voice over is reading every thing I select and it was the most annoying thing I've ever encountered. It then prompted me that there was a console update, so I downloaded and it installed the update. Once back to the login screen there is an existing user option, I used the new PS App on my phone to scan the QR code without having to put in my user and password details which then logged me in to my psn account.

Only then did I plug in my existing External Drive from my PS4 to the USB port on the back. I checked the Library and it showed all my games. I had launched a couple games from my external drive, they worked fine, then copied over a couple games to the SSD and launched them from there and were fine. Somewhere in the midst of that I went to the save game/storage data menu and downloaded my save games from the cloud.

I've been using it for 3 days now and I have not encountered any errors or had issues except for the controller not charging via the front USB in rest mode but resolved that by plugging it into the other USB port on the back.

I'm not sure if because I set the console up first and updated it before I plugged in the drive that was what made the difference of having or not having an issue but that's the way I did it.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Don't touch Spiderman Remastered yet
Don't use external HDD
Install system upgrade via wifi and don't put in Ethernet cable til after the system and controller have installed updates.

Should be ok if you follow these steps

Superstition is a good drug.

quest

Not Banned from OT
With reddit and Twitter issue look a lot worse than they are. If you are in the unlucky 2-3% you have a warranty. I have been through enough of these to not bat an eye these little issues that will get worked out fast.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This happens every console generation, and it’s pretty standard for a new electronics device. A failure rate of just 1% would still be 10,000 consoles if Sony sold a million so far. On the Internet, 10,000 people can sound like one hundred times that number. I wouldn’t be too concerned.
The issue here is that there is some issue with software which seems to affect everyone. Just look at some of posted "guidelines" basically "do not use your console as intended before patching in with our future update", it's ridiculous. I can think of any generation when this happened.

200iq points when you receive your PS5.. Don't open it and wait until Sony releases an update to solve some issues. It will be unbearable on not playing your new console but it's not worth having the PS5 screwing up on you early in the Gen cycle.

Umbral

Mine seems to be doing fine so far. I played a lot of Demon’s Souls.

You will only ever hear about the issues. When things are working as they should there are no articles or forum posts.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
People here are letting the same idiots who let roaches live in their PS4 scare them with PS5 FUD.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I doubt failure rate is any higher than past gens, especially compared to RROD on 360. Its just that there are FAR more people on social media than ever before, letting everyone know.
Yep, I call it the “Twitter effect”.

Step 1) 30 people post about PS5 problems, meanwhile millions who have the opportunity to post, don’t post because they aren’t having problems

Step 2) OH MY GOD THE ENTIRE WORLD IS EXPERIENCING THIS THING.

got all my consoles day one, even the 360 ( work for 6 years no issues), sadly I couldn’t get ps5 and I won’t be afraid at all. There must be 4m out there? With that logic I would be more afraid of taking an airplane.

Kagero

Spiderman crashed once, but since then the console has been rock solid. Still taking precautions though. Turning off the system completely. Not hooking up an external HD yet. Things like that. If you're still worried then purchase some extended warranty.

xray49er

I'll give my issues

Ps5
Miles morales disc defaulted to the ps4 version but it was locked had to go in my game library for the ps5 version. My controller will not charge from the front usb. Everything else has been fine. I keep my ps5 in rest mode and I do not have an external drive

Xsx
Bright memory crashed the whole system once

The touryst crashed my system 4 different times. I am in alpha skip ahead I got two updates since launch and haven't had a crash since.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that updates will fix any problems

Zoanoid33

I am unfortunately one of the people suffering from a number of errors on my PS5. Haven't gotten more then 3 minutes in to Demons Souls before it freezes and shuts off the system. It then repairs storage upon reboot.

Also Ghost of Tsushima and RDR2 freeze and boot me back to home after about 10 minutes of playing but that error code is different then Demons Souls and one that Sony is working to resolve supposedly.

After talking to Sony they told me to wait to see if they can get more data on my issue with Demons Souls. Since it is only occuring in that game and not other PS5 games I tested like Bugsnax or Astro.

What is the ethernet cable issue? First time I have seen it mentioned.

Grinchy

Banned
People who have no problems with it don't feel any reason to go on Reddit and tell you that theirs works perfectly.

But, if you have a system that is broken in some way, you're way more likely to go on the internet and tell that story.

So if you see Reddit threads about problems, it does not mean every PS5 is defective and you have to be scared about yours being defective too. It just means that there aren't 200 people making threads to say, "Wow! This game console I bought works just as intended!"

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
There is no need to be worried. Not every PS5 is having issues and even if have one then just wait for the patch or just use your warranty and get another one.

ZehDon

The issue here is that there is some issue with software which seems to affect everyone. Just look at some of posted "guidelines" basically "do not use your console as intended before patching in with our future update", it's ridiculous. I can think of any generation when this happened.
Ok, you might need to educate me; what issues are impacting everyone? I can see intermittent issues, and the ones I've read about are around specific external storage devices not playing nice.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

How are current PS5 Gaf users dealing with this news?
dude my ps5 disc drives spins like its about to explode every time i turn on my ps5. every fucking time. and then again when i start my games. but after that its pretty quiet. i only got coil whine when playing infamous. its quiet otherwise.

these things happen. good thing is that they are happening at launch so you can bring it back to the store and get it replaced or returned if they dont have stock. worse case scenario, you have to ship it to sony for repair but its under a 1 year warranty so you wont have to pay anything.

just remember, a million, maybe two people bought the same exact product on the same day. of course you are going to see a flood of reports for issues. this happens at every launch. i remember ps4 throwing out discs at launch and reports of xbox ones bricking right out of the box. and they both turned out to be have the lowest failure rates around.

Shakka43

My PS5 just turned itself off while playing Miles Morales. Had to do the SSD and Extended HDD repairs, hopefully it is a one time off but I'll just play other games in the meantime just incase it is a Spider-Man problem.

Was the motherboard issues not a rumor, but in fact, a fact? The QC is horrible, especially on release. Hopefully things get fixed and warranties cover everything. We don't need a RROD/YLOD in 2020.

dolabla

Mine crashed in Spiderman Remaster causing my system to completely shut off by itself. I had to press the power button 2-3 times to get it back on (it would beep at me when I pressed it). I got it back on and it did the rebuilding stuff. Other than that, I haven't had anymore problems.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Meh, getting it on a credit card with an extended warranty and not worrying about it. Most of it is probably software issues that'll sort themselves out rapidly with patches, if anything is hardware hopefully it would shake itself out in the 2 covered years.

Y'all are funny feeding into internet paranoia..listen, consoles always have issues, no matter at release or not. The internet has made this a bigger issue than it is the last three console cycles. It's normal, stop listening to the vocal minority, not just with the consoles but in general. The fear mongering is real.

-do not use ethernet
Install system upgrade via wifi and don't put in Ethernet cable til after the system and controller have installed updates.

Is that even semi-confirmed or is this just people saying that they did such and such thing, and then they had problems, so it must be that. Loads of people use direct connections to their consoles. If that was always something causing problems, I have to think we'd be seeing a lot more examples.

Did anyone here happen to use an ethernet cable for the initial system update and care to weigh in on how your console is doing?

Top Bottom