• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

zombrex

Early buyers are beta testers and if your console dies you could be waiting months for a replacement.
Don't be a sucker and buy at launch whether it be a PS5 or XSX. Those games you want to play will still be waiting for you in a few months and will likely be cheaper too.

fersnake

giphy.gif

jaysius

Banned
Meh, getting it on a credit card with an extended warranty and not worrying about it. Most of it is probably software issues that'll sort themselves out rapidly with patches, if anything is hardware hopefully it would shake itself out in the 2 covered years.
Have you ever needed to use that credit card warranty thing? I haven’t but I imagine it’s a nightmare.

When I saw at the bottom of my launch PS4 “Made in Japan” writing I was pretty sure that thing was gonna be durable. And 7 years later it is still running strong (minus the fans but I have my own method of keeping that down).

So, I don’t know, I’m not getting PS5 until sometime next year (GT7 release date would be great timing) but all 4 Sony consoles never really failed me and my god, they’ve been used heavily (except when we bought used PS1 and after some time that plastic thing where you put discs fell off).

It’s really amazing how reliable my PS4 console is after countless hours of usage during these 7 years.

I trust Sony (and my warranty that comes with it).

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Seeing lots of reported issues some with screenshots and videos yeah with PS5. A lot of game freezes specially in MM and Demon Souls. Sony May have dropped the ball on QC with PS5. I suppose we will fine out in 2 to 3 weeks how widespread the issues are.
With over a million consoles you could have a shit ton of people posting problems and it’s still around 3 percent. People have instant access now and when you go into a thread about problems, your going to see nothing but those issues.

Play the PS5 like normal if something goes wrong, turn it in. I have played Demons Souls, Miles Morales, Spider-Man remaster, download games on Ethernet, used the activities, put the thing in rest mode and not one hitch.

Bluefoxfires

Neo Member
Is that even semi-confirmed or is this just people saying that they did such and such thing, and then they had problems, so it must be that. Loads of people use direct connections to their consoles. If that was always something causing problems, I have to think we'd be seeing a lot more examples.

Did anyone here happen to use an ethernet cable for the initial system update and care to weigh in on how your console is doing?
My console has worked wonderfully so far. I've used ethernet from the beginning and have used my console without any comprises.

Bro, it's been rough being a ps5 owner this past day or so. I've encountered 0 issues but it's because I'm trying so hard to avoid my console breaking to the point where I'm missing out on features. When you get yours, I suggest u follow these guidelines as I've had a flawless experience so far:

- first I'd recommend letting the console air out and get used to air temperature in the room after being in packaging for a bit and through cold climates

- do not connect external storage

-do not transfer data from ps4
-just upload ur ps4 game saves to cloud storage so u can play those on ps5 and load them up with the saves from ur ps4

-do not use rest mode at all. Disable it completely when u get ur ps5

-don't play games while installing games/updates

-don't do dumb stuff like unplugging the console while it's turned on

-do not use ethernet

- do not play Spider-man remastered

-say a few prayers to God

Good luck. May God guide you to a working system my friend. So far so good for me

I did all the stuff you said not to do except for unplugging while on (duh) and the only issues I have is my external SSD won't format and WD Legions is a little buggy.

LordOfChaos

Have you ever needed to use that credit card warranty thing? I haven’t but I imagine it’s a nightmare.

I've found Amex errs towards paying you out if something comes up, even if something is in dispute they'd rather just pay out of their own coffers than annoy a customer with all the details. Not sure about other networks and co-brands but I always get anything I want an extended warranty on with that.

jaysius

Banned
I've found Amex errs towards paying you out if something comes up, even if something is in dispute they'd rather just pay out of their own coffers than annoy a customer with all the details. Not sure about other networks and co-brands but I always get anything I want an extended warranty on with that.
Cool, I’ve never used it and was always curious how it worked out for real humans.

dolabla

Is that even semi-confirmed or is this just people saying that they did such and such thing, and then they had problems, so it must be that. Loads of people use direct connections to their consoles. If that was always something causing problems, I have to think we'd be seeing a lot more examples.

Did anyone here happen to use an ethernet cable for the initial system update and care to weigh in on how your console is doing?

Been using ethernet since the beginning. I had the hard crash in Spiderman Remaster https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps5-issues-are-freaking-me-out.1577147/page-2#post-261131201

I quit playing and nothing since. Everything else seems to be running fine.

Chiggs

Gold Member
My PS5 displayed a warped screen after updating. I changed HDMI cables, but it still was distorted. I did a cold boot, which fixed it, but then I got the warning about not doing that.

Welcome to PC Gaming, console fans.

I've been using ethernet the whole time.

Astro's froze once and had to manually shutdown, Demon's Souls crashed once. I don't think those are related. The ethernet thing sounds dumb tbh. Not using rest mode (anymore - default is set to rest after 20 mins), not using external drive, not playing while installing/downloading. Avoiding those makes sense.

It’s basically lottery. Normal for the first batch. I have been very lucky so far multiple generations. Regarding ps5, It crashed once when I was using the rear USB port. no issue since I unplugged the usb

Ive had Ethernet plugged in since first boot. I’ve had small hiccups but no crashes or database corruptions yet. Biggest glitch I’ve encountered are HDMI randomly turned off in middle of Astros Playroom level (just had to unplug and plug back in) and one time when playing Demon’s Souls the game hung for about 3 seconds after I unlocked a shortcut. Really random. Like the game didn’t know where to pull data from

Nope ya'll are $500 beta testers. Straighten that shit out for when I get my PS5.
And suddenly I feel better about not being able to get one after trying on the 16th of Sept and the other day on launch. Even after having scalping assholes steal it from my shopping cart multiple times. Now I'm just going to wait to play demons souls. Got ac Valhalla on my pc. Will get Cyberpunk there too and will enjoy on my 144hz monitor and new ryzen 5 build.

By the time they are back in stock these issues should be fixed (I hope).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s basically lottery. Normal for the first batch. I have been very lucky so far multiple generations. Regarding ps5, It crashed once when I was using the rear USB port. no issue since I unplugged the usb
Yup. That's why I'm waiting till next year. Only problem is if I get one in Q1 or Q2, I have no idea if the quality control has improved for those batches.

I'll be rolling the dice then too unless there is proof of better made batches. Kind of like when 360s were RRoD in year one, I forget when, but at some point the consoles were made better. I think that's what the whole Jasper thing was and trying to identify which ones were Jasper.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And suddenly I feel better about not being able to get one after trying on the 16th of Sept and the other day on launch. Even after having scalping assholes steal it from my shopping cart multiple times. Now I'm just going to wait to play demons souls. Got ac Valhalla on my pc. Will get Cyberpunk there too and will enjoy on my 144hz monitor and new ryzen 5 build.

By the time they are back in stock these issues should be fixed (I hope).
What's worse than a borked console..... getting a bad one off eBay. Good luck trying to get a repair under warranty with no receipt.

TLZ

Banned
After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

How are current PS5 Gaf users dealing with this news?
Dealing with it very well. My PS5 here is doing great. Just don't plug in an external storage for now.

Failure rate is looking quite high.
Show me numbers.

The first thing I plugged in was my ethernet cord. Booted the system and updated no problem.

Kumomeme

this is common for new consoles not matter what brand it is. thats why some people rather to wait for another batch revision than risking buying early at launch/

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The first thing I plugged in was my ethernet cord. Booted the system and updated no problem.
Makes sense.

I always have my consoles plugged in to an ethernet cord.

The recos in this thread to update the system via wifi is a odd as hell. You'd think that's the worse way since there's a better chance of wifi bombing for a few seconds (possibly screwing up an update) than a direct feed which should be more stable.

If it's true that wifi is better, I wonder what the issue is with ethernet cords. Sounds weird.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I wonder if the units that are defective were manufactured at a particular factory and during a particular period of time. Also, I wonder what is causing these issues.

Reading this thread makes me nostalgic. I was kinda like this whenever I bought new shit during the ps3 era so I kinda know how you feel. I miss being excited about video games lol

Ar¢tos

Seeing lots of reported issues some with screenshots and videos yeah with PS5. A lot of game freezes specially in MM and Demon Souls. Sony May have dropped the ball on QC with PS5. I suppose we will fine out in 2 to 3 weeks how widespread the issues are.
Freezes are software issues, either the games themselves or firmware.
They are not related to hardware QC. Anyone that plays Lego games knows that very well.

Ev1L AuRoN

Every mass product eletronic is subjective to defects, and the internet extrapolate this, it's not a big deal, and in the worst scenario you have warrant.

TacosNSalsa

I went through 4 360s, never again. Ya'll have fun, I got dozens of games on my backlog.
I went through 6 here . This was my plan but the opportunity presented it self . Twice . So here I am beta tester reporting for duty!

To OP these faults aren't being caused by any action of the consumer, right? So there is literally nothing you can do about it , it will either happen or it won't so why worry? You're putting unnecessary stress on yourself .

dano1

A Sheep
I noticed my controller only seems to charge when I’m playing, not while it’s in rest mode. I assume a patch will fix this.

I tried another cable I had for my iPad and it worked perfectly. Tried the Sony one again and didn’t work. That said I think it has reduced power to the front usb when in standby. A patch should fix it.

dano1

A Sheep
Early buyers are beta testers and if your console dies you could be waiting months for a replacement.
Don't be a sucker and buy at launch whether it be a PS5 or XSX. Those games you want to play will still be waiting for you in a few months and will likely be cheaper too.

Ive bought every PlayStation at launch and never had a problem. Some of us are diehard gamers and don’t mind taking a chance. And I’m pretty sure Sony and Microsoft have emergency replacement systems for the unfortunate. Thanks for calling us suckers👎🏻

Top Bottom