• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sales surge over 300% in the UK during February (compared to Feb '22) | UK Monthly Charts

You're ignoring it again.

Do you realize that Sony counts every PlayStation bundle as a copy sold, right? How many of those 7 million units shipped in the last quarter were God of War bundles?
oh the "bundle narrative" i have seen Xbox people using it against Forbidden West.

so dumb.

I think people are underplaying how supply constrained the PS5 was for that 300% to be possible. X and PS5 were still nowhere to be found and nothing really improved yet, instead the S was basically the only thing on the shelves which led to some gap closing for MS just based on the S. (also where that silly myth that people who wanted a PS5 brought a Series S because it was the only thing available, which still doesn't make sense looking back)

Now the PS5 is everywhere, there are still no X, and S is not the only thing on store shelves anymore.

To be fair, Microsoft is also up over last year, still mostly with just the S.

I expect PS5 march to also have a similar 200-300% increase based on it's supply from march of last year.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
oh the "bundle narrative" i have seen Xbox people using it against Forbidden West.

so dumb.
Xbox fanboys say the game doesn't sell without bundles.

I never once said God of War didn't sell without bundles.

You can't talk about video game sales and completely ignore these factors and that's exactly what you're doing. Not going to derail this thread and I just got my answer. lol

Saber

Gold Member
The fact that HBO is making season 2 based on Part 2 tells you only hater keep try to think the game is shitty.

People are buying the game now without knowing what happened, they want to know how the story plays. It's an effect of the TV series since the part 2 is still in production(btw Velma and Rings of Power both gonna have season 2, so it doesn't exactly tells if the series are good, even though Part 1 is really good). Not necessarally reflects if the game is good or not, just that people want to dive in in the continuation of the series.

Xbox fanboys say the game doesn't sell without bundles.

I never once said God of War didn't sell without bundles.

You can't talk about video game sales and completely ignore these factors and that's exactly what you're doing. Not going to derail this thread and I just got my answer. lol
and again...you are keep ignoring the context in which the game came out.

if you think the leaks, the toxic conversation before and after plus the divisiveness of the game itself didn't affect sales...i dunno why to tell you. keep leaving inside your bubble i guess. more power to you.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lots of folks soon to be disappointed by a shitty game.

hPPCCqC.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

if you think the leaks, the toxic conversation before and after plus the divisiveness of the game itself didn't affect sales...i dunno why to tell you. keep leaving inside your bubble i guess. more power to you.
Let me know how many Sony first-party exclusives reach 15 million in sales in 2-4 years without massive bundles on the PS4. You're saying it should be at 15m. That's a ridiculous amount because no first-party Sony exclusive has reached that number in such a short period of time without a lot of bundles.

Loxus

It's down YTD.
It was up 15% from last February 2022.
What does year-to-date mean?
Year-to-date (YTD) means the total of something from the first day of the year through the current date. It is a time-based measurement used in financial management and investment. Most North American companies take year-to-date to mean the calendar year, which is also aligned with their fiscal year (starting January 1).

Like I said, it's down in the same time frame vs last year. Down year-to-date by 5.3% like in the OP.

Reactions: XXL
People (watching the show) probably want to know how the story after TLOU1 unfolds. Those poor souls they don't know what's going to hit them.

That's pretty presumptuous.

While that could be the case, I think what is more likely is that you have a combination of things.

1) People have beat the first game already who bought it recently and are now moving on to the sequel, whether that be the remaster or the remake as you can play this on PS4 and PS5
2) The first game sales are split between the remaster and the remake
3) People who skipped the 2nd game are jumping in now.

I think the number of people skipping directly to P2 is probably limited.

mckmas8808

I do think the bolded hurt some of the game's sales. But it did still sell great though. Using the word "underperformed" is something corporate execs do to cover why they aren't getting the super mega bonuses that they wanted. Capcom nd Square are the kings of using that word in the wrong way.

It shows a Microsoft monopoly fears are bull with sony going to 90-95% market share using these numbers. There is no reason to stop the sale with a 90-10 split in market share except to protect the company with 90% market share. Any other sale with this lopsided market share would go with no issue.

How many times must we read takes like this. It's not a 90-10 split but even if it was, the move to block now is not based on today's market, or next years', or even the market in 3 years. This should be obvious. It's about acting now before we get a situation like Google in search, Amazon in online shopping or indeed MS in operating systems in the long term.

Also, the issue is not solely about the console space. It's about the cloud market and how MS could be in such a potentially unassailable position in the future. Their issue with cloud monopoly concerns gets ignored every time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How many times must we read takes like this. It's not a 90-10 split but even if it was, the move to block now is not based on today's market, or next years', or even the market in 3 years. This should be obvious. It's about acting now before we get a situation like Google in search, Amazon in online shopping or indeed MS in operating systems in the long term.

Also, the issue is not solely about the console space. It's about the cloud market and how MS could be in such a potentially unassailable position in the future. Their issue with cloud monopoly concerns gets ignored every time.
Just ignore the low information posters.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It shows a Microsoft monopoly fears are bull with sony going to 90-95% market share using these numbers. There is no reason to stop the sale with a 90-10 split in market share except to protect the company with 90% market share. Any other sale with this lopsided market share would go with no issue.
What if MS finalized the acquisition next year...

Do you think MS is going to see major improvements in hardware sales?

Most likely not. You'll probably use those numbers to say, "Look at the hardware sales! Microsoft needs to go after Take-2 next!"

They're not looking at how Microsoft is currently performing, they're at how they're going to perform in the future. Zenimax acquisition was a huge step for MS and they have yet to release their major titles.

Ezekiel_

Banned
For the millionth time : Marketshare gained through quality products and services, effective ad campaigns and smart partnerships is not what is regulated. That's just called healthy competition, and is beneficial to consumers.

Last edited:

GHG

They are protecting the consumers who have unanimously chosen the company that currently has the majority share.

These regulators don't exist to attempt to balance markets, they exist to ensure markets are driven by consumer choice (as they are currently) and are not driven by companies using exorbitant amounts of cash from other operations to reduce consumer choice.

gow3isben

Damn I am really pissed that last of the cucks part 2 is doing so well after consumers did so well arguing with their wallets before

shitting on its sales will be missed

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think that's the big issue. If these acquisitions don't help Microsoft gain a ton of market share then maybe they are doing something wrong.
They want to blame Sony but it's all about Microsoft and how they manage their studios. A lot of reports have come out within the past year that shows it.

It's like now they just want to throw money at acquisitions just to fix their problems.

Let me know how many Sony first-party exclusives reach 15 million in sales in 2-4 years without massive bundles on the PS4. You're saying it should be at 15m. That's a ridiculous amount because no first-party Sony exclusive has reached that number in such a short period of time without a lot of bundles.
you keep talking about bundles like is some kind of gotcha...or attempt to move the goal post.

by all metrics Part 2 should've been closer to 15M (in that time frame) not a big deal at the end of that day.

still Part 2 is a massive success.

DarkBatman

And because you stated that time and time again, this is now a law that applies to the general public? And you call other people children?

It is perfectly legitimate to use Metacritic and OpenCritic as a barometer for the quality of a game. Of course you have to look at such ratings in a differentiated way, but that really applies to all ratings that are made on the Internet.

Ultimately, only your own opinion is decisive. Because listening to any "fans" and "true buyers" in Internet forums is also nonsense. Who tells me these are normal people and not console warriors from the other camp?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
you keep talking about bundles like is some kind of gotcha...or attempt to move the goal post.

by all metrics Part 2 should've been closer to 15M (in that time frame) not a big deal at the end of that day.

still Part 2 is a massive success.
I asked you to name a single game that reached that number without massive bundles and you couldn't do it. You're only proving my point. I'm done because all the metrics prove my point.

Tripolygon

Banned
And because you stated that time and time again, this is now a law that applies to the general public? And you call other people children?

It is perfectly legitimate to use Metacritic and OpenCritic as a barometer for the quality of a game. Of course you have to look at such ratings in a differentiated way, but that really applies to all ratings that are made on the Internet.

Ultimately, only your own opinion is decisive. Because listening to any "fans" and "true buyers" in Internet forums is also nonsense. Who tells me these are normal people and not console warriors from the other camp?
I have proclaimed that anyone who makes this comment has to give me $5 so pony up. I stated multiple times.

Last of Us Sales exploded.

Look at Part 2......

Although that been doing well again since late last year but even still that show boost is gonna have the franchise at 50 million units surely.

mckmas8808

121 reviews that say it's great and then we have you that says TLOU2 sucks. Hmmmm......which one is the console warrior and acting as a child? People like you are sad. Just because you dislike a game that most love, doesn't mean anything to the rest of us.

mckmas8808

Awful timing to launch the PSVR2.

Or it was the best time to launch PSVR2. Depends on how you look at it. That headset is coming out right when PS5 stock has shot up in stores. I'd say there was no better time.

Last of Us Sales exploded.

Look at Part 2......

Although that been doing well again since late last year but even still that show boost is gonna have the franchise at 50 million units surely.

Between the show’s season 1 and season 2, the pc port and inevitable remaster, and the multiplayer, part 2 will cross 20 million before the original did. Then the TLOU haters will have to migrate to something else, like horizon

Or it was the best time to launch PSVR2. Depends on how you look at it. That headset is coming out right when PS5 stock has shot up in stores. I'd say there was no better time.
In the UK, the PSVR2 is only sold through PS direct, The company that Chris works for doesn’t track PS direct, so sales for PSVR2 and PS5 through there are not known….yet.

So, without any data from, there will be plenty of users claiming that PSVR2 is a failure…. At least in the UK

I honestly don't get it...MS has a console on sale for like twice as cheap as a PS5 right now.
It's been not even 2 and half years since these consoles released.

I really think the reason why Xbox was doing bigger numbers last year was due to PS5 being unavailable everywhere. This has been mentioned more times before, and it's getting clearer now.

PS5 last big release was God of War in November. It's not like these huge numbers were due to a big recent release...

Anyway, it's clear that this year PS5 will be the big seller everywhere...and if this keeps up even winning Japan.

Anyway...moving on to my favorite part:

7The Last of Us: Part 2
14The Last of Us: Remastered (Sony)
19The Last of Us: Part 1 (Sony)

The PS4 remaster ahead of the remake isn't huge news considering the price gap...but seeing TLOU2 above both of them is incredible and something GAF must be loving as well :messenger_clapping:

It's beautiful ❤️.

Hopefully Part 2 for PC and PS5 announced soon

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You don't know what it means but it proves your point? 😂😂😂😂😂

I agree that it does prove something about you. Stay off the glue.
Sure, let me help you out.

Only 20% of copies sold from Horizon were bundled in Europe. This was also during the time when we didn't see many consoles shipped in Europe.

He also acknowledges (which is my point) that bundles help boost sales.

God of War likely had more bundles shipped in comparison to Horizon Forbidden West.

The point: Bundles help boost sales and it doesn't get to a certain milestone without it. I never once said the majority or even half of the sales were due to bundles.

Last edited:
I do think the bolded hurt some of the game's sales. But it did still sell great though. Using the word "underperformed" is something corporate execs do to cover why they aren't getting the super mega bonuses that they wanted. Capcom nd Square is the kings of using that word in the wrong way.

We all know how secretive this industry can be. In the box office reports, there is a lot more data available, and companies themselves report their estimates for the opening week. People can also learn about budgets and how to interpret all these numbers to understand how much money a movie needs to make to break even, make a profit, or outright flop.

The second week drop is a huge metric for projecting the final number. It is clear that scores like Rotten Tomatoes and Cinema Score, alongside media discourse, repeat viewing, and word of mouth, affect the longevity of a movie.

the word "underperfomed/outperformed" are widely used in this context. but also words like "front loaded" or "long-tail"

Now, regarding Part 2 we can agree is a financial success no doubt about it.

but also, we can't ignore the context in which it released.

when you see the initials numbers of the game...it beat Spider-Man and God of War in the same period. then clearly sales plunged.

why? you could say the game was "front loaded". the word of month was not as strong, etcetera.

when you compared the first game original sales performance....NOW you see a disconnect:

in just one year TLoU 1 sold 8 million.

how is it possible that the sequel to the most successful PS3 game GOTY/Game of The Generation took 2 years to reach 10 million? especially when you compared the performance of Ragnarok? a game that was also a GOTY/Game of the generation?.

yep. Part 2 clearly underperformed.

Top Bottom