• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 uses higher capacity discs compared to Xbox Series X

solidus12

I thought that both consoles use the same 4k Blu-ray Discs apparently, PS5 uses a higher capacity disc compared to Xbox.

qluSFjN.jpg

This conformation comes from the director of publishing at Larian Studios.

near

Gold Member
The Series X can read films on BD-100 discs, but games are only distributed on BD-50 discs. My guess is it is a self-imposed stipulation by Microsoft, that might have something to do with the Series S?

Futaleufu

50GB disc limitation has been known for quite a while. Something to do with using the same disc between the One and Series generation. Not like it really matters as you have to install everything anyway.
And then apply an update on top of it.

Nobody wants to go back to the Amiga days where a game was 8 disks and you had to swap them every 3 minutes.

midnightAI

No, I believe Zathalus is correct.
It's so they could ship a single disc that's playable across Xbox One-Xbox Series.
What's that go to do with it though? PS5 can still read PS4 discs (BD50)It's just that now games specific for PS5 can use BD100

LordCBH

I really don’t understand why Series X games aren’t shipped on the nice UHD discs even though the console can read them.

StereoVsn

What's that go to do with it though? PS5 can still read PS4 discs (BD50)It's just that now games specific for PS5 can use BD100
I am guessing it has to do with how MS handled cross gen games initially. Games could work for Xbox One or Xbox Series, however only Xbone data was in disk and XS was for download.

So since Xbone couldn’t handle 100BD disks for gaming (compatibility with OG Xbox One), they kept the same format for Series. And never switched to BD100 once current gen only disks were launched.

midnightAI

I am guessing it has to do with how MS handled cross gen games initially. Games could work for Xbox One or Xbox Series, however only Xbone data was in disk and XS was for download.

So since Xbone couldn’t handle 100BD disks for gaming (compatibility with OG Xbox One), they kept the same format for Series. And never switched to BD100 once current gen only disks were launched.
Seems like a rather huge oversight on their part especially as it can read BD100 just not for games

Surely this is just a quick update to solve the problem?

Allandor

Well, why does that matter at all?
You can't play directly from the disc. You always have to install (btw download because of any big patch that came out since the disc was produced).

Also, I'm not sure if that is really a limitation or just cheaper to produce.

Last edited:
You can't play directly from the disc. You always have to install (btw download because of any big patch that came out since the disc was produced).

Pretty much. You use the discs to install a game and then you're done. Oh no the horror! I swear people are just looking for excuses to shit on xbox on a daily basis. I only buy digital so it affects me even less.

onQ123

It matters to the publishers & game devs who has to fit their games on a disc or 3

Top Bottom