• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 uses higher capacity discs compared to Xbox Series X

Wait, they are releasing disc versions of the game now??
If you play the game since November you would know.

That pre-order page is literally the biggest thing on the screen every time you open the launcher.

9mXyCFm.png

soulbait

Are we sure it is a capacity issue and not a compression issue? I thought I read somewhere at some point that Sony has a better compression technology, so maybe the way the game is packaged and compressed is different?

With games not playing directly off the disc, the way they are stored on the disc to then be downloaded could be different.

Anyone know if this could be the issue?

Edit: After reading some of the comments it seems like the it has been known that games are only stored on 50GB discs on the XSX games. Interesting. Not sure it matters too much, but it is still interesting.

Last edited:

Beechos

I guess. Luckily with Xbox you can download the game digitally on your ssd to have it ready when you put in the disc. One of the few things ms has done right.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Q1 2021 called it wants its news back

PS5 using higher quality discs and being a better 4K blu ray player has been known since right after launch

The Series X has the same disc performance and backwards compatibility as the Xbox One X
one of the 1000x reasons I went for the Series S over it. Series X is a Xcloud server that was placed on the consumer market. Big whoop You can stream 12tfops even on the One X didn't see the point of the Series X at all.

DaGwaphics

I'm surprised that the developers don't default to the cheapest 25GB disk and use multiples for most games. Would save them money and a standard case can hold 4 disks. Would make installs more annoying though.

Did you completely forget about the performance differences there @ ShirAhava ShirAhava

Also, even the 1S could play triple and quad layer disks (films), unknown as to why they choose not to support those formats with game disks.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The disc version came out like three months ago. I bought it from Play Asia in November.

BUT...this version is censored, just picked it up to have a physical version before I ordered the collectors edition from Larian. I don't even open my games anymore...maybe its just a code (kidding...its not a code)

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Well, Xbox is going to stop using disc, so...
Kind Of Kinda GIF by Bounce
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Are we sure it is a capacity issue and not a compression issue?
No, at all, Sony is using bigger disc, plain and simple, it's not related to compression but to disc layers (Sony is using triple layer 100 GB BR unlike Xbox stuck at dual layer 50 GB BR for whatever reason).

Conventional (or "pre-BD-XL") Blu-ray Discs contain 25 GB per layer, with dual-layer discs (50 GB) being the industry standard for feature-length video discs. Triple-layer discs (100 GB) and quadruple-layer discs (128 GB) are available for BD-XL re-writer drives.

Last edited:

sendit

Shouldn’t impact the majority of Xbox Series owners as most own the Series S and chose to blacklist the Series X.

I posit that my fiber internet can transfer data orders of magnitude faster than a Blu-ray disc can be read. Physical media truly is dead and it's a tragedy.

Drew1440

The Series X can play back 4K Bluray right? I know the One X can. Don't 4K Blurays go up to four layers typically?

Three

I'm surprised that the developers don't default to the cheapest 25GB disk and use multiples for most games. Would save them money and a standard case can hold 4 disks. Would make installs more annoying though.

Did you completely forget about the performance differences there @ ShirAhava ShirAhava

Also, even the 1S could play triple and quad layer disks (films), unknown as to why they choose not to support those formats with game disks.
Why do that when you can save money and use 1 disc and require the user to download the rest. That way you get your "physical release" at the cost of the customer not being able to do anything with their disc offline. Xbox has been notoriously bad when it comes to that and this is probably why.

The few cool things about physical releases on Xbox are when this happens:

Well and I guess the Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition physical release which is the definitive version on Xbox Series X and not PS5 as Phantom Liberty comes on a disc for Xbox while for PS5 it comes as a voucher code (yuck).

ViB0zd0.jpeg

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

50GB disc limitation has been known for quite a while. Something to do with using the same disc between the One and Series generation. Not like it really matters as you have to install everything anyway.

Yes. Smart delivery has been a major advantage for Xbox since launch, everyone remembers the shit show that was Spider-man when it launched on both PS4 and PS5, there was so much confusion.

Meanwhile on the Xbox side, you can pop any disc on either Xbox One or Series X|S and it just works, the transition from Xbox One to Series X was light years more seamless than PS4 to PS5, but in the last 4 years, we don’t see headlines yelling from the top of mountains, it was just quietly swept under the rug, and I guess over time Sony fixed the saves across systems and other shortcomings or people just moved on.

Now 4 years have passed and we have ONE game that finally makes a difference, so score one for PlayStation because of one game that uses 2 discs instead of 3. Yay? I guess?

Are people just digging for ways to show advantages over Xbox? sure seems that way. What a nothing burger.

Top Bottom