• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 uses higher capacity discs compared to Xbox Series X

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

No wonder Microsoft’s ditching discs.

DaGwaphics

Why do that when you can save money and use 1 disc and require the user to download the rest. That way you get your "physical release" at the cost of the customer not being able to do anything with their disc offline. Xbox has been notoriously bad when it comes to that and this is probably why.

Good point. You'd still get all the benefits of a physical release as far as gifting, trading, selling it and most games have major updates post release anyway.

LordCBH

The few cool things about physical releases on Xbox are when this happens:

Well and I guess the Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition physical release which is the definitive version on Xbox Series X and not PS5 as Phantom Liberty comes on a disc for Xbox while for PS5 it comes as a voucher code (yuck).

ViB0zd0.jpeg

I love how the PS5 version COULD have everything on disc, but CDPR were too cheap to submit a new version of the game, so instead we’re stuck with base game + voucher

Edit: side note. I hate how Xbox handles multi disc releases. I HATE disc stacking in cases, yet all their multi disc releases in North America do it. Witcher 3 does it, Mass Effect LE did it, lost odyssey did it back in the day with its 4 discs. Don’t understand why they can’t put the disc flipper things in the cases instead. Disc stacking is so lazy and bad feeling.

Last edited:

intbal

That was to avoid having more than 3 discs and on a console without game installation capabilities, nowadays they would avoid that thanks to compressions.
Xbox 360 had game installation capability.
Several games required installation to the hard drive.

And you can still sale, trade or give them to someone, broken or not.

You can't do shit with digital version.
Totally meaningless when half the "discs" are just redirections to download the rest of the game online. Face it, physical copies don't exist the way they did in 8th gen and prior. We have entered the digital era, all the pieces are falling into place to finally phase it out for good. Which is fine by me, I've accepted digital libraries on PC and have been backing up cracked copies of my purchased games for decades. Now that's ownership.

K.N.W.

Xbox 360 had game installation capability.
Several games required installation to the hard drive.
At the time of FF13, 360 had no proper game data installing capabilities, you could only copy whole discs, games like Battlefield 4 and Grand Theft Auto V were among the first to have proper mandatory data installation. Before that only few games required a big chunk of storage to cache date.

Last edited:

intbal

At the time of FF13 it had no installing capabilities, games like Battlefield 3 and Grand Theft Auto were among the first to have mandatory installation. Before that only few games required a big chunk of storage to cache date.
Installation capabilities were added at the end of 2009. Alan Wake required HDD installation in May of 2010. If FF13 missed it, it only did so by two months (and they probably should have delayed the release, since they would have known the option would be available).

Bojji

Totally meaningless when half the "discs" are just redirections to download the rest of the game online. Face it, physical copies don't exist the way they did in 8th gen and prior. We have entered the digital era, all the pieces are falling into place to finally phase it out for good. Which is fine by me, I've accepted digital libraries on PC and have been backing up cracked copies of my purchased games for decades. Now that's ownership.

Only small % of games are not playable from disc data but even if you have to download stuff you still can do anything with the disc. I can buy game for full price, complete it and sell it for 75% of what I paid.

I agree that it has nothing to do with preservation and you can only do that on pc with pirates help.

K.N.W.

Installation capabilities were added at the end of 2009. Alan Wake required HDD installation in May of 2010. If FF13 missed it, it only did so by two months (and they probably should have delayed the release, since they would have known the option would be available).
That's disk optional disk install, games with proper installation came later during the transition to Xbox One, the first were
Battlefield 4, Destiny, Titanfall, GTA-V. Before that only a handful of games required storage. Also Alan Wake had no mandatory install.

intbal

That's disk optional disk install, games with proper installation came later during the transition to Xbox One, the first were
Battlefield 4, Destiny, Titanfall, GTA-V. Before that only a handful of games required storage. Also Alan Wake had no mandatory install.
sPiPboa.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
This news shows how important is physical games these days that it would have been used as a selling point in previous generations and we're know it by a mere X post and still people seem not to care that much lol

intbal

Yeah, but that's not an install, that's data caching on storage.
But you said FF13 released at a time when Xbox 360 couldn't install games to the hard drive.
It clearly could.
I couldn't find the official Microsoft page detailing the system update (long since taken down), but here's a gaming website article explaining the 2009 release.

Luigi Mario

Totally meaningless when half the "discs" are just redirections to download the rest of the game online. Face it, physical copies don't exist the way they did in 8th gen and prior.
That is simply not true. Almost all physical releases still include a 1.0 version on disc and the vast majority of them are even playable without going online first or needing a patch.

Last edited:

sendit

Yes many people do. Do you have a problem with that?
I don't think anyone has a problem with that. However, the reality is. Most people just don't give a shit about physical releases regardless on how loud the minority are. This is evident in the trend towards all digital.

Hudo

That explains why the disc drive on the PS5 looks like a fucking tumor, because all the density cannot possibly be contained.

K.N.W.

But you said FF13 released at a time when Xbox 360 couldn't install games to the hard drive.
It clearly could.
I couldn't find the official Microsoft page detailing the system update (long since taken down), but here's a gaming website article explaining the 2009 release.
That was the disc install, it wasn't a proper full game install that would merge data from multiple discs. That happened at the end of the generation,

Almost all physical releases still include a 1.0 version on disc and the vast majority of them are even playable without going online first or needing a patch.

You kinda need the Day 1 Patch though.

Don't think I've mentioned it here, but the 1.0 of Elden Ring is literally a pre beta. You could in theory finish the "1.0" game but there are items, enemy placements and other stuff which is not the same as the "Day 1" patch. I'm kind of surprised that isn't more common so you can speed up the release since you've already pressed the discs.

Kupfer

Totally meaningless when half the "discs" are just redirections to download the rest of the game online. Face it, physical copies don't exist the way they did in 8th gen and prior.

As a general statement, what you are claiming is simply not true. Check out doesitplay
Let me make a long story short, around three quarters of the games listed there are playable without any problems - offline & unpatched

Last edited:
As a general statement, what you are claiming is simply not true. Check out doesitplay
Let me make a long story short, around three quarters of the games listed there are playable without any problems - offline & unpatched

Their standards are kinda loose though. Like Elden Ring (as I mentioned above) is listed as "Download Required" as no. This despite acknowledging what I mentioned above.

Kupfer

Their standards are kinda loose though. Like Elden Ring (as I mentioned above) is listed as "Download Required" as no. This despite acknowledging what I mentioned above.
So as far as I read, the game is playable from the beginning to one of the three endings. I don't know the game, so I don't know what that means, but the fact that a game can change over patches doesn't mean that the version from before is significantly worse (just ask the minecraft faction). Of course, nowadays a game undergoes changes, fixes, improvements, but also deteriorations during its lifetime.
But that's not really the point, it's whether someone can insert the disc offline and play through the game.

Luigi Mario

I think it boils down to being able to play a game from start to finish off disc without encountering major issues.
But as you said earlier, Elden Ring’s disc build isn't the best. It has quite a few bugs and important NPC quests like Kenneth Haight’s storyline were only added weeks after launch.

Last edited:
But who exactly from a practical standpoint is going to do that? People with really bad internet? Go to the Library or something?
There are other countries besides the US and sometimes your Internet isn't working 24/7 on those countries

Sony and Nintendo sell consoles and video games in countries besides the US unlike Microsoft so this is a real consideration for them

There are other countries besides the US and sometimes your Internet isn't working 24/7 on those countries

At least when it comes to Playstation, you don't need to be always connected. Even for games bought digitally if you are on the primary console. I leave my PS5 offline unless I am downloading updates and have no problems.

I suppose that could change in the future.

Majormaxxx

Even the Xbox One S can play UHD Blu-ray. Xbox has had that capability since 2016.
As far as the game discs, that too (Series limited to 50GB) was known at launch. DF mentioned it in an early video.
The Xbox plays dvds worse than Sony consoles. It doesn't upscale them but leaves jaggies instead. It plays Blu ray fine.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. However, the reality is. Most people just don't give a shit about physical releases regardless on how loud the minority are. This is evident in the trend towards all digital.
When to look at the amount of physical copies of games Sony sells tells another story, its MS who are stopping selling physical copies. So you saying when MS jumps of a bridge Sony will in an instant?

sendit

When to look at the amount of physical copies of games Sony sells tells another story, its MS who are stopping selling physical copies. So you saying when MS jumps of a bridge Sony will in an instant?
Are you trying to argue just to argue? Look at sales metrics from physical:digital sales. I doubt you'll see lines for physical sales trending up. Feel free to prove otherwise.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

So does this mean Xbox is the King of physical?

People first complain they want physical, now they're complaining this is too physical :pie_wfwt:

BD50 read speeds are faster than BD100 read speeds. I'm curious to know which will take longer to install. 2 x BD100 vs 3x BD50 :unsure:

Top Bottom