• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Accounts Are Getting Banned For Borrowing PS5 Access

"Players are having their PSN accounts banned for borrowing PS5s to access the PS Plus Collection, according to several forum posts.

Due to a number of bizarre policies regarding the PS5, it stands to reason that people are capitalizing on ways to get around them.

Chief among this is the rules for the PS Plus Collection, a library of PS4 games made accessible to players for free if they have a subscription to PS Plus. Despite the fact that they’re all PS4 games, however, you can only claim the games on PS5, after which they will be playable even on your PS4.

As a result, people have been selling access to their PS5s online, wherein you pay to give sellers your account details who will then claim the collection for you, letting you play all the games on the PS4.

As the PS5 is sold out in most places and not even available in Malaysia yet, this has been pretty big with Malaysians who can’t wait to claim the free games.

However, giving money and account access to strangers on the internet is generally a security hazard, and Sony can’t in good faith tolerate this. As a result, people are reporting that their accounts are being banned.

In particular the accounts tied to the PS5 are reportedly getting permanent bans, while the PS4 accounts logging in are getting temporary bans of about 2 months.

Some sources claim that if the PS5 has logged more than 50 accounts and made huge number of transactions, both the console and accounts will be banned.

It stirred huge discussion in China gaming community as some people were doing this PS5 borrowing thing as a business and many players who exploited this are panicking .

Quasicat

I’m one of those people that read through a TOS when I get an email alerting me to changes. I do not have a PS5 to have worried about this. Was this explicitly explained in an updated TOS? I don’t remember reading this before.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So if I buy a system that has some free game codes in the bundle, and I decide to sell the codes or give them away for free, why should any console maker care?

How is this game collection giveaway any different?

If Sony is that hard up on only allowing the PS5 gamer access it then make it so it can only be redeemed on a PS5.

killatopak

Gold Member
Why a ban though? That’s just stupid.

Can’t they just revoke the activation?

This is one of those backward thinking that Sony suffers from.

I’m a Sony fan but when I see bad practices I want to speak out.

So if I log in to my friend’s PS5 I’ll get banned if I still don’t have a PS5 of my own?

MrFunSocks

Banned
As a result, people have been selling access to their PS5s online, wherein you pay to give sellers your account details who will then claim the collection for you, letting you play all the games on the PS4.
That's 100% against their terms and conditions, so the ban is warranted.

I’m one of those people that read through a TOS when I get an email alerting me to changes. I do not have a PS5 to have worried about this. Was this explicitly explained in an updated TOS? I don’t remember reading this before.

You don't read the TOS very well then. You're not allowed to give anyone your login details or let anyone else access your account, and if you do it's grounds for a permanent and immediate account ban.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Some sources claim that if the PS5 has logged more than 50 accounts and made huge number of transactions, both the console and accounts will be banned.

It stirred huge discussion in China gaming community as some people were doing this PS5 borrowing thing as a business and many players who exploited this are panicking .
China knows how to ruin a good thing

Yoboman

So if I buy a system that has some free game codes in the bundle, and I decide to sell the codes or give them away for free, why should any console maker care?

How is this game collection giveaway any different?

If Sony is that hard up on only allowing the PS5 gamer access it then make it so it can only be redeemed on a PS5.
This is people sharing log in details to steal the games without purchase or subscription. Thats a no go on any system

Do I need to have the instant collection to be banned or not?

I’m not exactly sure of the process they use to ban you.

I'd imagine they're seeing systems redeeming the collection in mass which is a red flag on their end

I've account shared with my friend for years and no issues. Redeemed the collection for her PS4 too.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Do I need to have the instant collection to be banned or not?

I’m not exactly sure of the process they use to ban you.
They probably won't say exactly what it is if they are indeed doing it. They had to assume people were going to do this, though. They should have done a one activation per console serial number or something.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'd imagine they're seeing systems redeeming the collection in mass which is a red flag on their end

I've account shared with my friend for years and no issues. Redeemed the collection for her PS4 too.
That’s kinda worrying. I have like 6 accounts on my PS4 right now.

US, HK and SG for myself and 3 others for my 3 sisters.

I wonder what’s the threshold for the red flag if it’s that.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

If you usually log in on your console in place X, then you suddenly log in in place Y in a different country or state, then log straight back in in place X, that's evidence that you've shared your login details, which is against the TOS and cause for a permanent account ban.

Don't share your login details and you'll be fine.

nahcir

Neo Member

And you have active PS+ subscriptions and already redeemed the collection on all six of them? Cause if not, I don't really see the issue here.

demigod

Lol at people calling out Sony for not knowing the real reason. This is not about sharing, this is people selling account logins to those games. This is pretty rampant on PC and i see it all the time on ebay.

Pretty clear they rushed this out the door
Sony have not done anything to their psn system and we are still stuck in the same shitty region locked to account region crap that we have had since the ps3

Aion002

This is dumb.

A friend of mine bought a ps5 and I am going to visit him this weekend to play Demon's Souls on it... Now I am afraid to login with my account and get banned...

Oh... Wait! We buy together shitty Fifa games, the last one was bought in my account, if he access it from his ps5 (which he probably already did)....

tenor.gif

Concern

So gamesharing may end up getting people banned now. Genius.

Don't give the games away if it stings that bad. Banning paying customers for doing whatever they want with their membership isn't right. Or make the "plus collection" unplayable on ps4.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Thread name probably needs a change. They're not getting banned for "borrowing PS5 access", they're getting banned for breaking the Terms of Service and sharing their account login details.

Azurro

Banned
So gamesharing may end up getting people banned now. Genius.

Don't give the games away if it stings that bad. Banning paying customers for doing whatever they want with their membership isn't right. Or make the "plus collection" unplayable on ps4.

Concern isn't concerned about reading the article but is still very concerned about the people concerned about selling access to their PS5. :)

Rolla

Banned
Egregious fraud that goes against every online user agreement globally, gets an article and outrage when it comes to gaming?! I don't get it?! I remember when XBOX had a huge wave ban for people playing on chipped 360 that allowed them to run fraudulent copies of games burned onto a disc.

The outrage was weird even then.

Last edited:

wipeout364

It’s a a ridiculous response to a terrible anti consumer policy. These games should just have been rolled out over a few months as PS Plus games to ALL SUBSCRIBERS . It’s total bullshit on Sony’s part to not do this, why should I not get these games as a PSN subscriber for probably 10 years now but some person who just managed to get a PS5 gets all them.

I honestly don’t care about the games but anybody trying to justify Sony’s logic in this rollout of this is out of their mind. I am sure a lot of die hard Sony Fans feel pretty cheated by this.

Last edited:
Lmao they couldn't see this coming? This was one of the first things I thought when I saw their stupid rules and I even saw ppl in here mentioning it.

Ataraxia

I actually thought about offering this for free to anyone willing to trust me with their login info but then I figured it would be a violation of some sort and decided not to. It's still not clear if the TOS forbids someone from logging into someone else's PS5 just to add the PS+ collection to their library. Has Sony ever explicitly said you must be the owner of a PS5 to do this?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I actually thought about offering this for free to anyone willing to trust me with their login info but then I figured it would be a violation of some sort and decided not to. It's still not clear if the TOS forbids someone from logging into someone else's PS5 just to add the PS+ collection to their library. Has Sony ever explicitly said you must be the owner of a PS5 to do this?
The problem isn’t logging in to someone else’s PS5 - the problem is people are giving their credentials to other people to use to log in to their PS5 so the person can get the games against their credentials.

Sharing your psn credentials is against terms of service. It’s got nothing to do with logging in on another console or claiming the games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I am more just talking about challenging bans, I don't support this practice, but its weird that a company can ban you and your whole collection of money/games are gone.

We need more digital rights.
We also need to accept responsibility for our digital actions. If you steal digital content it's not unreasonable to expect that your digital rights may be negatively affected. If you log into someone's PS5 to claim content that you have no right to claim that is theft. Whether Sony should be able to deny you access to content you previously purchased is something that needs to be addressed. But the decision to ban people for this, should they choose to do it, is not completely arbitrary and without merit.

Sony has been clear in the eligibility requirements for this.

PlayStation Plus members will be able to enjoy a special new offering on the PS5 console – the PlayStation Plus Collection. PS5 console owners with PlayStation Plus will be able to redeem and play a curated library of PS4 games that defined the generation, like Batman Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, God of War, Monster Hunter: World, Persona 5 and many more.

if you don't own a PS5 you don't get to redeem the PS+ collection. It's pretty simple.

From the reports online people who redeem these games for others are receiving permanent suspension from PSN, which makes sense under section 10.3 of the PSN TOS. I've read that the console used to do it may also be permanently banned from PSN. Reportedly people who are handing over their credentials to others are being suspended for 2 months. Section 3.3 of the TOS explains a user's responsibilities in regard to not sharing login info.

People doing this aren't exactly innocent. They should be waiting until they own a PS5 to claim this perk. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

Top Bottom