• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick question for Pelican HD System Selector owners

Sh0k

I'm looking for a cheap component switch to connect my DVD player and my PS Two. The cheapest one I found is the Pelican HD System Selector for around $20.

0070805659070_500X500.jpg

Any loss of image quality using the switch at 480p ? That's the only resolution I'm planning to use between my PS Two (with the games that support prgressive scan) and my DVD.

Any help will be appreciated !

sirris

No. I use a composite selector for HD. There is no degredation. The signal loss is so minute that it doesn't matter. Just use good cables.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have the same model, different badging. Surprisingly, given how close the cables get, there is almost no degredation or interference. It works great using systems with all resolutions. Plugged in right now - Tivo, Xbox, GC and PS2 all putting out a minimum of 480p. Xbox higher obviously, depending on game.

I also like that this model lets you plug in an S-vid, composite at the front. Saves a lot of TV moving...

Sh0k

Thanks for the quick replies.

Another question, is the Pelican and the one sold at Gamestop the same box, with different labels ?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Sh0k said:

Another question, is the Pelican and the one sold at Gamestop the same box, with different labels ?

Yeah, they're the same. I use this very AV switch at home, but I'm just using a 480i TV with component inputs. I'd say it works quite well, but what does my non-HD-having ass know?

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
I don't know much about that newer model, but I've got the older one, and it stinks. The signal goes in and out, so you've got to adjust the cables quite often. The signal doesn't go all the way out, but you'll lose color, like one of the cables is unplugged. It's not my cables either, I've checked them all. I recently bought the Xbox-PS2 HD cables that are like $20 and I've been really happy with them so far.

Nikashi

Banned
I have a non HDTV with a component input that I use for my Xbox. Is it worth it to use component for the PS2/GC as well, bearing in mind it will be for image clarity only? (I have them both on S-video right now.

Sh0k said:

Yep even look at the gamestop packaging has pelican copyrights all over it

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
flarkminator said:
I have always used Pelican products for my switchers, just in general. They have never done me wrong.

Yeah, its by far the best product pelican makes.

manji

I've got the larger 8-input selector (gotta love the three 'net connections). Definitely worth the price, they work just fine.

Sh0k

I think I'm going to try this switch, I don't think that 480p needs to much bandwith, and that's all I need it for. If there is not loss in quality, I think is a keeper.

Top Bottom