• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R/LTTP: Dragon Ball, 153 episodes before Saiyans were invented

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefil

With all the threads on Dragon Ball Super over the past few months, a month or so ago I decided to [re-]watch all of the Dragon Ball shows from the beginning. As a kid/teen I saw most of the episodes of Dragon Ball and Z on TV here and there, but most of my understanding came from playing some of the games which re-told the story in order. The only series I'd ever previously seen in-order start to finish was GT, which I quite liked at the time.

As of today, I've just finished Dragon Ball and am ready to start Z. But before I did that, I thought it would be fun to start a bit of discussion about Dragon Ball. I originally intended on watching sub, but after starting I realized the dub just felt more right with my memories so I went with that (Funimation).

In my memory, Dragon Ball was always my favourite of the three shows. Kid Goku was and continues to be my favourite of the protagonists. I also liked the search for the Dragon Balls (or other macguffins) and exposure to new places and vignettes. The show also introduces a revolving door of quirky and interesting characters, and people who are forgettable by Z are very charming here: Bulma, Oolong, Krillin and Yajirobe are all fun to spend time with in DB. I think these impressions held up, but in the re-watch I noticed for the first time how gradual the descent into Z-like combat and padding is.

I think the easiest way to discuss the show is saga by saga, so I'm going to do that (using Kaizenshuu's saga list). I've also included a 5-star rating for each just for fun (I thought of going out of 7, but I can't handle that level of specificity :p).

Son Goku Arc - *****

The first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball are fantastic. Goku is mischevious, stupid, and delightfully weird. Bulma is abrasive and headstrong, but doesn't feel like the one-dimensional annoyance machine she becomes later. I actually root for her a lot in this part of the show. It feels like every episode brings a new and interesting place, a new weird aspect of the world (capsules, flying clouds), a new friend (Yamcha, Oolong, Roshi...), and a new Dragon Ball to bring our cast closer to their goal. The 13th episode comes to a really satisfying close, with Oolong of all people providing an absurding resolution to the conflict with Pilaf. This saga is just FUN.

21st Tenkaichi Budokai Arc - ****

There are two things to love about this arc. The first is Krillin. He provides the perfect foil to Goku and is kind of our surrogate in the show. We'll never be quite as good or quite as pure, but we all want to try. The training under Roshi is just the perfect application of this spirit and Goku's, and over the course of it we kind of get to know the "peace-time" version of each of the characters. This to me will be a defining part of the series. We don't just spend time with the characters during battles, but also when their lives are just advancing.

The second thing to love is that the tournament gives each of our fighters a chance to shine, *and* lets us see them respectfully engage with each other. This culminates in the Goku/Roshi fight which is wonderfully motivated and sweet in the end. The enemies in this arc definitely feel like fodder, which is the main mark against it.

Red Ribbon Army Arc - *

The Red Ribbon arc feels like a bad preview of DBZ. It's almost exclusively about Goku's solo fights. Each villain is stretched into many episodes. The fights are phenomenally uninteresting as we are dealing with the most mundane of special abilities. One thing Dragon Ball really struggles with is giving characters abilities that make for interesting combat resolutions, but Red Ribbon really takes the cake.

The one redeeming part is the Mercenary Tao sub-arc. Korin's Tower is a great growth moment for Goku, and Korin is a wonderful teacher to spend time with. Tao himself is quirky in an appealing way, delaying combat in order to have clothes tailored and travelling via thrown pillar. Honestly, I would skip everything else.

Fortune Teller Baba Arc - **

Another tournament, but this time against a series of fodder. Some of the gags are funny (Krillin's method of helping Yamcha fight the invisible man) but for the lack of the friends engaging with eachother really weakens the schedule. The Gohan and Goku reunion is a little charming, as is the resolution to the fight of Goku's tail fighting off, but honestly I didn't need it. I preferred Gohan as a mystery.

Solo Training Arc - ***

While the scenarios are individually weak, the interstitials of Goku self-training and running through the wilderness of Dragon World really sell this arc. It manages to just slightly recapture the feel that this is a story about a boy with a joy for life just experiencing the world and learning from it.

The strange thing is that this arc was all filler!

22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc - *****

This is by far the best tournament in Dragon Ball. Tien and Chiaotzu are perfectly strange and when their abilities are finally revealed they are commesurate with that strangeness. Yamcha vs Tien displays the strength of the new competitor. Roshi vs Wolf-man demonstrates Roshi's wisdom, which so rarely gets a time to shine. Krillin vs Chiaotzu finally lets Krillin achieve a personal victory through his wiliness, and it feels earned. Tien vs Roshi. Goku vs Krillin! Goku vs Tien! It's all good.

However, the Goku vs Tien fight extends to 4+ episodes. A sign of things to come...

King Piccolo Arc - ***

We DBZ now. Outside of the brief and fun adventures of Goku and Yajirobe, this is a series of fights against the same enemy, in which everyone loses until Goku eventually gets enough new "power" to win. While this happened before with Korin tower, that felt earned, whereas this time Goku drinks some weird super powered magic water that inexplicably exists in some weird place and will certainly never be mentioned again. King Piccolo is an undeniably cool villain and his unique characteristics (sleeping with eyes open, creating eggs) kept me entertained, but nothing else works.

Heavenly Training Arc - ****

Short but sweet. Mr Popo is a phenomenal new strength (!!!) but he's not an enemy, and the ways he trains Goku are all fun and feel like real ways to grow his abilities. He *does* need to control his power better, he *does* need to learn to move deliberately, and he *does* need to better control his internal energy.

And it's also almost all filler! Apparently I like training filler.

23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc - ***

The worst tournament in Dragon Ball. Mostly just an excuse to slowly drip feed out Goku's new abilities, and rehash an incredibly long and boring fight against Piccolo. The highlights save it:

+ Kami (disguised) beating everyone
+ Chi Chi's reunion with Goku
+ Feet Kamehameha
+ Krillin vs Piccolo and his good nature

Wedding Dress Arc - **

An adventure! But most of the scenario makes no sense and the locations and people aren't fun. The only thing that saves it is seeing Goku and Chi Chi together. I never remembered Chi Chi being tough and fun, but in this arc she feels somewhat like a proto-Videl. It was nice to have a chance to have her be fun before she was totally relegated to the shrewish-homekeeper that Toriyama seems to think all woman end up as.

===============================

Anyway, overall I had a ton of fun, although the fights really dragged towards the end. I think the biggest takeaway for me is that Dragon Ball reminded me the franchise was originally all one manga. It doesn't feel nearly as unique from DBZ as a I remember it being. The "sudden shift" in tone is actually drawn out over many sagas and by the King Piccolo arc we are in the DBZ mold.

I think early Dragon Ball remains my favourite thing in the series. In a short period we get a great, timeless adventure, and a bunch of unique friends in a fantastic world. I've already moved on to the start of DBZ, and I don't recall that doing quite as much to expand the world/universe in charming ways.

Unfortunately, I think for a fighting story the fights in Dragon Ball are extremely weak. For the most part, new techniques feel more like just increases in "power" and less about novel or interesting tools used in cool ways. To breifly contrast with a similar show, I watched Naruto in my teens and I remember that being way more about different people exploiting the "utility" of their specific tool kit. Any time two characters matched up for the first time you could bet on interesting interactions. Really miss that in Dragon Ball.

So what does everyone else think? Is Dragon Ball something fans here hold close, or is it more like the weird prologue to DBZ? Interested to hear everyone else's reflections.

Alric

Dragon Ball is definitely my favorite. I re-watched it with the wife 2 years ago and the only part that was a real chore to watch was Goku and Chi-Chi adventure at the very end, that was pretty awful.

I do miss when it was more martial arts related and each character did have their uniqueness as you mentioned. Watching DBZ all I could think is "I wish some of the other earth warriors learned Kaioken and surpassed what Goku could do with it to make up for the lack of transformations.

Seesaw15

As a manga reader its all one big thing in my mind but I still feel Dragon Ball is the GOAT. It just has the perfect combination of humor/action/drama and adventure. This period was also when the art was the strongest imo.

thefil

Watching DBZ all I could think is "I wish some of the other earth warriors learned Kaioken and surpassed what Goku could do with it to make up for the lack of transformations.

Yeah, it's super weird when you think of how strongly the Super Saiyan imagery is associated with Dragon Ball now. Here we have all this time with no transformations or new forms! It's really more about training to increase your personal "strength", which has a seemingly unlimited bound. Even the more mundane humans like Tien, Krillin and Yamcha are steadily increasing their abilities - they just can't keep up with Goku.

I've only seen the first arc when it aired on Toonami. Back then as a kid I thought it was one of those things where they made a kid version of a show like Scooby-Doo Kids, Flintstone Kids, etc.

Your right about those first two arcs. Those are fantastic and charming and the fights in this show is more creative than in Z. It's more about strategy and technique vs power. The Red Ribbon saga though is just way too long.

I forgot about that filler arc. Is that what it's actually called?

Arrrammis

I like the fights in Dragonball so much better than DBZ. In Dragonball, they use techniques, learning them from others or making them up on the fly, and the battles are always close, with the antagonist winning as often as the heroes; in DBZ it's just the main character getting some new transformation and then cleaning house.

Bishop89

Don't hate it but don't think it's anything special. It has nothing which I love from Z.

The only thing I love from it is the English opening

biteren

I loved DBZ when i was younger (i still do) but the original Dragonball appealed to me when i was older. i really liked when the Fighting Art mattered instead of raw power.

Chucker

Is there any decent legal way to stream this? It used to be on Hulu, and I know CR doesn't have it.

Does the funimation app have it now?

I watched it for the first time a few years ago and loved it, I definitely need to watch it again sometime. DBZ will always hold a special place in my heart but Dragon Ball is definitely the better show.
It's been a while since I've seen this, but did Goku ever realize that he was the one who killed his grandfather?
In DBZ when Vegeta turns into a Great Ape. He puts two and two together.

jett

D-Member
I loved Dragonball when I was kid, much more than DBZ. Really should try a rewatch one day. The early days up to the first Tenkaichi Budokai are my favorite, with Krillin and Goku becoming bros.

StayDead

I watched this in the past year or so and I love it. Z is alright, but there's something about Dragonball I just find great.

Especially helps that Krillin is such a boss in it.

tumblr_mk2wylXeyD1r72ht7o1_500.gif

I loved DBZ when I was young, but have never watched Dragonball or GT. As a 33 year old would I enjoy these? Where can I even watch them legally?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I loved DBZ when I was young, but have never watched Dragonball or GT. As a 33 year old would I enjoy these? Where can I even watch them legally?
The best thing about dragon ball and z is that it was usually the more mature shows on American television having themes such as death and getting to see the characters gradually grow older and eventually have children and seeing their children have children,it's a great thing to experience.

andymcc

Banned

Dragon ball's humor is a lot more adult than lots of stuff in Z. Im the same age and still love it.

Funimation and Hulu both have it.

Fou-Lu

Definitely the part of the original DB that I like most is having such a large cast of relevant characters. I still love DBZ and DBS but... why did it have to become to Saiyan show?

Sephzilla

Definitely the part of the original DB that I like most is having such a large cast of relevant characters. I still love DBZ and DBS but... why did it have to become to Saiyan show?

It became a Saiyan show because Vegeta became a main character, Gohan became a character, and power level creep happened. This is why the Saiyan Saga is still my favorite story arc in DBZ because the supporting cast still has an impact in the conflict.

The art style is softer and more charming, the whole cast feels better utilised and the fights are definitely a lot more interesting in Dragon Ball.

Really don't care for the Red Ribbon arc at all, but all the tournament and adventure arcs are great.

I feel like Super has found a good balance between the heavy DBZ stuff and the lighter more fun stuff in DB.

andymcc

Banned

Transformations became a hallmark of the series (and in turn the rest of shonen manga) and I guess Kuririn powering up wouldn't make sense.

Even Tenshinhan, the strongest "human", is an alien.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Dragon Ball but I'm going through the manga now and looking to rectify that. Love the humour. Dragon Ball Z though was a big part of my late childhood/early teens. I've seen all of GT but honestly don't remember much about it but I do remember enjoying it. I think I'll have to revisit it again. But It feels great to be a fan again with Super and Xenoverse 2.

Yes, in his fight with Vegeta.

I watched it for the first time a few years ago and loved it, I definitely need to watch it again sometime. DBZ will always hold a special place in my heart but Dragon Ball is definitely the better show.
In DBZ when Vegeta turns into a Great Ape. He puts two and two together.

Thanks. Surprised he was able to put it together. I need to watch Z again. It's been even longer than DB.

Anth0ny

I'm rewatching Dragon Ball.

It's amazing. What a contrast to Super. So well written and charming.

the first 5 or so episodes completely revolve around Bulma's body. whether it's goku smacking her crotch, roshi getting her to flash him, yamcha sneaking a peek while she's showering, or oolong straight up drugging her in an attempt to strip her while she's passed out...

not sure if that would fly nowadays lol

Transformations became a hallmark of the series (and in turn the rest of shonen manga) and I guess Kuririn powering up wouldn't make sense.

Even Tenshinhan, the strongest "human", is an alien.

When was it revealed Tien was an alien? I did think it was weird how he was the only one with three eyes.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I watched this in the past year or so and I love it. Z is alright, but there's something about Dragonball I just find great.

Especially helps that Krillin is such a boss in it.

tumblr_mk2wylXeyD1r72ht7o1_500.gif

It's the fight pacing. Most of the fights in original Dragonball(and some of DBZ) are paced like fights you'd see in older asian kung fu/karate films. The fights have silent moments where they build tension and moments where you the viewer are given time to breathe, take in what happened and get ready to view the next part of the fight. Yes, this means that some fights might take more than one episode but it was worth watching overall after it was said and done. The framing, animation and pacing were all trying to emulate those films and evolve it in a unique way. It was more about techniques and strategy rather than beam battles and who overpowers who. There was a science to this that was lost near the end of Z(mainly Buu Saga) along with GT and Super. This is why the latest Super episodes have been upsetting to some fans, because the episodes are moving like they are on fast forward. Nothing has much tension because there is barely any build up or silent moments and everything has become overly flashy. Super as a show is suffering from what quite a few recent shonen/action anime are suffering from. Style over substance. This is why Dragonball will always be my favorite DB series followed closely by most of DBZ.

The best thing about dragon ball and z is that it was usually the more mature shows on American television having themes such as death and getting to see the characters gradually grow older and eventually have children and seeing their children have children,it's a great thing to experience.

Dragon ball's humor is a lot more adult than lots of stuff in Z. Im the same age and still love it.

Funimation and Hulu both have it.

Thanks!

dan2026

Back when Dragonball had a good mix of comedy, martial arts and a light Journey to the West parody.

Great art, great characters, great fun.
Shame it went so far downhill.

Remember that time Son Goku smashed a hole straight though Piccolo Daimao.
I do.

You_wont_forget_this.jpg

About ten million times better then post timeskip DB.

I love it. First tournament is the best. Second and Demon King Piccolo are amazing too.

Funi's localisation is far better then the one they did for DBZ too.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I like the fights in Dragonball so much better than DBZ. In Dragonball, they use techniques, learning them from others or making them up on the fly, and the battles are always close, with the antagonist winning as often as the heroes; in DBZ it's just the main character getting some new transformation and then cleaning house.

This is my exact analysis on Dragon Ball vs Dragon Ball Z, as well. Especially in the Budokai arcs. The fight didn't always go to whoever would win the "power beam struggle." There was trickery and pulling moves out of nowhere to get the upper hand. Goku never even won a tournament until the last one, where the fate of the world depended on him winning!

The contrast between DB and DBZ isn't as stark in the manga as it is in the show, though. They really do flow pretty well into each other on the page.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Power beam struggles deciding fights didn't really become a thing in DBZ until Cell though.

Very true, though the Frieza saga definitely started going into the deep end with the "my latest upgrade trumps yours" back and forth. IMO the end of the "new move out of nowhere turns the fight in spite of relative power level" nature of DB/DBZ came during the fighting against the Ginyu Force, before Goku showed up. And even after, really, with the whole mind-swapping among Ginyu, Goku, and that frog.

Sephzilla

Definitely true, though the Frieza saga definitely started going into the deep end with the "my latest upgrade trumps yours" back and forth

Yeah. I mean, beam struggles definitely became more of a thing in Z. But the Goku/Vegeta beam struggle in the Saiyan Saga happens sorta early in the fight and doesn't really factor into the final outcome at all. And yeah, while Frieza vs Goku definitely goes down the deep end a little bit, it still ends with Goku outsmarting his opponent in order to win.

Nightbird

This is my exact analysis on Dragon Ball vs Dragon Ball Z, as well. Especially in the Budokai arcs. The fight didn't always go to whoever would win the "power beam struggle." There was trickery and pulling moves out of nowhere to get the upper hand. Goku never even won a tournament until the last one, where the fate of the world depended on him winning!

The contrast between DB and DBZ isn't as stark in the manga as it is in the show, though. They really do flow pretty well into each other on the page.

That's the magic of tournament arcs be about actual tournaments.

With the Budokais, killing is prohibited, also the only thing on the line is price money, which never mattered to begin with.

With a framework like this, everyone can win, even the baddies. Simply because nothing is on the line.

With the stakes going higher and higher, and more and more being on the line, it was inevitable that the hero has to win.

This is why i had high hopes for the Tournament arc in Dragonball Super, and why i have high hopes for the upcoming tournament there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom