• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

RedSwirl

Thanks, I just wish I could get rid of the texture pop-in :(, maybe it would help if I enabled HT on my 2600k? Since I assume, or rather understood that apparently the pop-in is due to cpu-something or other.

What kind of GPU do you have? The 8K texture thing is only suggested for people who have 1.5GB of VRAM or more.

My AMD HD6850 only has 1GB but I was able to minimize texture pop-in by doing the same cfg exploit but changing the 8k values to 4k (4096 I believe), and then setting the texture size in the in-game menu to high.

I think what that does is forces all the textures down to the "small" value instead of auto detecting, but puts those small textures into the large loader. When I do this you still notice some pop-in when you try and when areas first load, but now when textures load for me they stay loaded. Graphically textures still look like console textures, but at least they freaking load.

My only problem left is that I'm still getting terrible artifacts which I hear is due to AMD's drivers. My framerate could also still be better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What kind of GPU do you have? The 8K texture thing is only suggested for people who have 1.5GB of VRAM or more.

My AMD HD6850 only has 1GB but I was able to minimize texture pop-in by doing the same cfg exploit but changing the 8k values to 4k (4096 I believe), and then setting the texture size in the in-game menu to high.

I think what that does is forces all the textures down to the "small" value instead of auto detecting, but puts those small textures into the large loader. When I do this you still notice some pop-in when you try and when areas first load, but now when textures load for me they stay loaded. Graphically textures still look like console textures, but at least they freaking load.

My only problem left is that I'm still getting terrible artifacts which I hear is due to AMD's drivers. My framerate could also still be better.

You're thinking of 16k textures. Peak memory usage for 8k textures is barely above 900MB.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

My 560 Tis only have 1gb aswell, but nvidia inspector is showing only 700ish usage so limited vram is no issue for 8k, also I did some testing and compared the low setting ingame ( which is 4k correct? ) to the 8k tweaks and there was definitely a difference. Though in the end I'll happily trade alot of things just to stop the pop-ins, HT didn't really affect anything :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My 560 Tis only have 1gb aswell, but nvidia inspector is showing only 700ish usage so limited vram is no issue for 8k, also I did some testing and compared the low setting ingame ( which is 4k correct? ) to the 8k tweaks and there was definitely a difference. Though in the end I'll happily trade alot of things just to stop the pop-ins, HT didn't really affect anything :(

Yeah, the default texture size is 4k.

Ok, can someone help me out here? Whenever I try to boot Rage, even after updating my ATI drivers, I just get "Rage has stopped working..." right after the screen goes black. I'm completely clueless.

Did they cancel the SDK/64 bit version yet?

I'm pretty sure it'll come eventually.

Also, a tweet from November 17 indicates they have a patch ready for release, probably the one that's supposed to add detail textures and bicubic upscaling:

@ID_AA_Carmack Any news on the Rage texture patch update? It's been awfully quiet lately

@Mathemoto we are still waiting for AMD to stabilize their release drivers so we can test our patch against them.

On the other hand, the Eyefinity/3D/DLC with high quality assets/perfect AA/perfect motion blur/etc patches, that Carmack said he'll work on after the game is done, I doubt they'll ever happen.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
On the other hand, the Eyefinity/3D/DLC with high quality assets/perfect AA/perfect motion blur/etc patches, that Carmack said he'll work on after the game is done, I doubt they'll ever happen.

well, at least they will wait this time. I'm going to buy the game if it looks decent after that patch.

I'm pretty sure it'll come eventually.

Also, a tweet from November 17 indicates they have a patch ready for release, probably the one that's supposed to add detail textures and bicubic upscaling:

3D would be great.

disap.ed

Will PRT of the new AMD GCN chips have any influence on performance of Rage? Or would they have to patch it (if this would be possible to this extent)?

Will PRT of the new AMD GCN chips have any influence on performance of Rage? Or would they have to patch it (if this would be possible to this extent)?
It would have to be specifically patched in. I expect that feature to get more use in the console space as its not an official DX or open GL extension.

From what i remember it is in DX 11.1 extension.
Unfortunately not, its something AMD has developed on their own, much like their original tesselator. Adding support to OpenGL titles shouldn't be too difficult going forward, but there's so few OpenGL games being developed these days that I just can't see it getting very much support.

Respawn

Banned
I was running this on a 9800GTX with great performance before I bought a Evga 570OC.
The difference is Im using RAID combined [6 gigabit marvell chipset] with an I7 @ 2.8, and 12 gigs of 1600 Ram.
I even made a youtube vid running on the 9800gtx albeit a small action scene.

iNvid02

so i fired this up today but SLI isnt working, despite there being an nvidia profile for it

can somebody who has it working post up a snap of nvinspector

i just stepped outside and it was pretty cool

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so i fired this up today but SLI isnt working, despite there being an nvidia profile for it

can somebody who has it working post up a snap of nvinspector

i just stepped outside and it was pretty cool

SLI doesn't work for RAGE because there is no official support for it for some reason. I remember reading on the nvidia forums something about Id designing the game in such a way that nvidia could not support sli in it. Also for what it's worth, the game on "max" or whatever they want to call it at 2560x1440 uses half of one gtx 560 ti on my rig. So I'm guessing that a 580 won't even sweat, let alone two.

edit : found it :

"AFR was not supported by RAGE, so we disabled SLI for this game.
NVIDIA Forums Technical Advisor"

iNvid02

LLShC.gif

the fuck, i'll turn vysnc off and see what its like

thanks corky

edit: 30-45fps, shame because it looks pretty good

seems like there is an upcoming patch, i'll wait for that
and see what it does

iNvid02

turned down antialiasing from 16x to 8x and gained 15-20 frames lol, solid 60 now and the 580 isnt even sweating

looks pretty cool so far

edit: 16k textures use about 2gb vram, glad i opted for 3gb now

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I tried it with one of the mid-tier supersampling options enabled on my 580 and it runs like a dream. Looks fantastic too. No hitching or slowdown.

It's amazing how much of a mess this game as at launch, but at least it's smooth as butter now.

sk3tch

I tried it with one of the mid-tier supersampling options enabled on my 580 and it runs like a dream. Looks fantastic too. No hitching or slowdown.

It's amazing how much of a mess this game as at launch, but at least it's smooth as butter now.

Nice! Where'd you get that 580?? ;) Glad it showed up and works for ya! :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nice! Where'd you get that 580?? ;) Glad it showed up and works for ya! :)
Ha ha, works great man. Thanks again!

I was getting some red dots at first but it turned out to be (of all things) the DVI->HDMI adapter I was using. It's running beautifully!

Haha, they want you to have like 6+ CPU cores to use Unreal '98 style detail textures. Fuck outta here, id.

they aren't even detail textures. basically, as it decompresses the textures it puts a sharpness filter on them, and a grain filter. detail textures would have been preferrable. significantly.

Appleman

Ugh, I can't help but be sad at how unbelievably good this game would look with more higher-resolution textures... Such a shame.

they aren't even detail textures. basically, as it decompresses the textures it puts a sharpness filter on them, and a grain filter. detail textures would have been preferrable. significantly.

Wasn't the whole point of Megatextures to make all texturing unique? Now they're all covered with the same generic noise pattern, that unique quality is greatly diminished.

Its a terrible solution imo.

Wallach

Wasn't the whole point of Megatextures to make all texturing unique? Now they're all covered with the same generic noise pattern, that unique quality is greatly diminished.

Its a terrible solution imo.

Not only that but the performance is lollerskates; on my i5-750 @ 3.6 moving around drops me into the teens or high twenties in a lot of areas. This is a game that typically runs at 60 FPS full time. For this.

So when are people going to turn on this thing and admit to it being a fucking disaster technically? The amount of VRAM you'd need for decent res textures is astronomical, you can't force proper 16 x Anisotropic filtering (AFAIK), it only serves pre-baked lighting...

What was the fucking point again? Ah yes console limitations, how could I forget.

epmode

So when are people going to turn on this thing and admit to it being a fucking disaster technically?
I feel like a lot of people on GAF agreed with this shortly after launch. I know I did.

So much time spent on NO REUSED TEXTURES. Who cares when so much stuff looks like poorly encoded Youtube crap?

So when are people going to turn on this thing and admit to it being a fucking disaster technically? The amount of VRAM you'd need for decent res textures is astronomical, you can't force proper 16 x Anisotropic filtering (AFAIK), it only serves pre-baked lighting...

What was the fucking point again? Ah yes console limitations, how could I forget.

Increasing the texel density (what you're referring to as "texture resolution") wouldn't increase the amount of VRAM required just the amount of disk space required.

Still, I tend to agree, the sacrifices required just seem far too steep. RAGE is a unique looking game but at times it can be a very ugly one as well.

Top Bottom