• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

DaBuddaDa

JaseC said:
The 570 is arguably the best "bang for your buck", however.
If you use locked 60 fps as a ceiling beyond which there is no determinable advantage, the 560ti/6870/6950 range is the sweet spot for price/performance.

JaseC said:
GTX 580. The 590 is the dual-GPU single-card equivalent. The 570 is arguably the best "bang for your buck", however.
thanks for the correction. i thought the 580 was a dual gpu card also, but i wasn't certain, hence 'i believe' :)

i'm not team Red or team Green. i'm team 'who makes the current fastest single card GPU'. waiting to see who that'll be with the next two batches of cards before i think about upgrading.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DaBuddaDa said:
If you use locked 60 fps as a ceiling beyond which there is no determinable advantage, the 560ti/6870/6950 range is the sweet spot for price/performance.

I tend to forget the 560 Ti exists, but even so, depending on particular circumstance, the 570 may prove to be the more worthwhile venture; hence "arguably". :p In general, though, I imagine you'd be correct.

plagiarize said:
thanks for the correction. i thought the 580 was a dual gpu card also, but i wasn't certain, hence 'i believe' :)

i'm not team Red or team Green. i'm team 'who makes the current fastest single card GPU'. waiting to see who that'll be with the next two batches of cards before i think about upgrading.

Frankly, after AMD's struggle with OpenGL support, I'm done with their cards. I can forgive their OGL drivers being broken circa Brink, but that released months ago and they knew full well Rage was on its way. There's no excuse for such poor form.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
JaseC said:
If I'm not mistaken, nvidia's profile for the game forces the disabling of vsync. You'll have to edit it otherwise through the driver control panel.
You mean forces the enabling of it? I'll try it from the control panel though.

JaseC

MadOdorMachine said:
You mean forces the enabling of it? I'll try it from the control panel though.

Nope, I mean the profile specifically calls for vsync to disable. "Force off", or whatever the option is named, is the default setting, for whatever bizarre reason.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
JaseC said:
Nope, I mean the profile specifically calls for vsync to disable. "Force off", or whatever the option is named, is the default setting, for whatever bizarre reason.
Got it. Thanks for the help. That screen tearing was nasty.

JaseC

MadOdorMachine said:
Got it. Thanks for the help. That screen tearing was nasty.

No worries. :) If I had guess, I'd say the setting was intended to be set to nvidia's equivalent of "application controlled" (is it weird that I own a GTX 570, yet know nothing of the driver control panel?), owing to the vsync settings available in v1.01 of Rage, but somebody wasn't paying attention. :p

JaseC said:
I tend to forget the 560 Ti exists, but even so, depending on particular circumstance, the 570 may prove to be the more worthwhile venture; hence "arguably". :p In general, though, I imagine you'd be correct.

Frankly, after AMD's struggle with OpenGL support, I'm done with their cards. I can forgive their OGL drivers being broken circa Brink, but that released months ago and they knew full well Rage was on its way. There's no excuse for such poor form.
Worst part really is that they had the drivers ready and uploaded the wrong ones.

Fortunately we only had to suffer for a day or so though!

JaseC

plagiarize said:
Worst part really is that they had the drivers ready and uploaded the wrong ones.

Fortunately we only had to suffer for a day or so though!

The first driver update/hotfix fixed some issues, but it was a little while longer until many/most AMD GPU users were finally able to play the game as intended.

Rage is simply yet another chapter in the storied history of AMD/ATi's lacklustre OGL support. :p

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
All right I just finished the first level. How do I put this nicely? The graphics are pretty bad. Everything looks low rez, washed out and there's dithering in the darker areas (bath rooms). This looks really bad imo. Am I missing something? It seems like this should look better.

MadOdorMachine said:
All right I just finished the first level. How do I put this nicely? The graphics are pretty bad. Everything looks low rez, washed out and there's dithering in the darker areas (bath rooms). This looks really bad imo. Am I missing something? It seems like this should look better.

It looks good with some distance. To give you a nicer perspective, sit about 2-3 meters away from the screen. Incidentally, this is also the average distance from the couch to the television.

On a more serious note, the game looks good in terms of scenery, but never start to look too closely at textures, except for weapons and NPCs. Also, imagining that you are a tank while turning around helps a lot to counter the texture pop-ins.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hmm, I've been out of the gpu market for 3-4 years (since I got the 4870x2). If the 570 can handily destroy it at 1080p and 4xAA (being a single gpu), I'm down. Been with team red for the last decade and I'm anxious to see if the grass is, in fact, greener on the other side. I'm mainly worried that my E8400 (@3.6Ghz) would be a big bottleneck.

Watching the gamersyde 1080p60 videos of rage made me envious of people without stuttering. :(

luka said:
Hmm, I've been out of the gpu market for 3-4 years (since I got the 4870x2). If the 570 can handily destroy it at 1080p and 4xAA (being a single gpu), I'm down. Been with team red for the last decade and I'm anxious to see if the grass is, in fact, greener on the other side. I'm mainly worried that my E8400 (@3.6Ghz) would be a big bottleneck.

Watching the gamersyde 1080p60 videos of rage made me envious of people without stuttering. :(

With the exception of the subway city and the occasional hiccup in the Wasteland, my 5770 gets a constant 60FPS in RAGE at 1080p, everything maxed and 8k textures (which is the most you'll notice, as I've heard 16k textures look nearly identical to 8k).

jett

D-Member
The latest ATI drivers fixed my issues with Rage. No more unplayable unstuttering with Catalyst AI enabled. I can finally play without going down to a single CPU thread! Framerate is a lot nicer although still not locked at 60fps which is kinda disappointing. I guess I'll replay the entire game in a higher difficulty.

But yeah this is still my first and final AMD purchase.

JaseC

jett said:
The latest ATI drivers fixed my issues with Rage. No more unplayable unstuttering with Catalyst AI enabled. I can finally play without going down to a single CPU thread! Framerate is a lot nicer although still not locked at 60fps which is kinda disappointing. I guess I'll replay the entire game in a higher difficulty.

Better late than never!

But yeah this is still my first and final AMD purchase.

Welcome to the green side.

Glassboy

Hi everybody. Well unfortunately, I think the patch (Oct 8) might have borked my game. Since release, I had been using one of the fixes that people created to stop the texture streaming issues. These are the settings:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4
The game ran fine for the most part (it did stutter for a few seconds every once in a while) and I was happy enough with the performance. I played the game the day after the patch came out and suddenly I was have blue texture issues. It started once I got to subway town. Subway town itself is fine, but when I leave to the wasteland, there are blue textures in the distance. I tried not using the custom setting as seen above, but there was no improvement. What should I do? Btw, I'm running this on a Gtx 580, 3.3 ghz i5, and 8 gbs of ram. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JaseC

Glassboy said:
Hi everybody. Well unfortunately, I think the patch (Oct 8) might have borked my game. Since release, I had been using one of the fixes that people created to stop the texture streaming issues. These are the settings:
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4
The game ran fine for the most part (it did stutter for a few seconds every once in a while) and I was happy enough with the performance. I played the game the day after the patch came out and suddenly I was have blue texture issues. It started once I got to subway town. Subway town itself is fine, but when I leave to the wasteland, there are blue textures in the distance. I tried not using the custom setting as seen above, but there was no improvement. What should I do? Btw, I'm running this on a Gtx 580, 3.3 ghz i5, and 8 gbs of ram. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you using the latest beta drivers?

jett

D-Member
Glassboy said:
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

With that rig you should probably stop using a custom config and simply set texture cache to "large" in Rage's video options menu, see if that fixes your problems.

JaseC

jett said:
With that rig you should probably stop using a custom config and simply set texture cache to "large" in Rage's video options menu, see if that fixes your problems.

"Large" is 8k, anyway, IIRC.

Edit: Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if the option did alleviate the issues.

JaseC

Glassboy said:
Yup, and switching back to the ones before that did not help either

Well that's my small bag of tricks used up, sorry. :( I'm running a GTX 570 and Rage v1.1 cured texture issues for my system.

Glassboy

JaseC said:
Well that's my small bag of tricks used up, sorry. :( I'm running a GTX 570 and Rage v1.1 cured texture issues for my system.
Thanks anyways. It sucks too because I was really enjoying the game up to this point. I could deal with the stuttering ever 5 minutes, but not this on top of that.

CPCunha

Finished the game a couple of hours ago and was really dumbstruck by the sound quality (or lack of it) on the ending cg sequence....oh my this game was a real train wreck in the technical department. I had outstanding performance but quality is so uneven, its unbelievable...

...hope they do better with Doom4

Dmax3901

So, recently upgraded my computer and am now running the Ultra config with no problems. Is there anything else I change to push my rig to its limit?

dr_rus

I H8 Memes said:
This doesn't look like a PC problem to me. Looks more like a developer problem.
This looks like an AMD driver team problem more than anything else.

JaseC said:
If I'm not mistaken, nvidia's profile for the game forces the disabling of vsync.
Todays 285.62 WHQL doesn't have that problem.

DaBuddaDa said:
Your personal "sweet spot" is highly dependant on the resolution you're playing at. 560ti/6870/6950 are somewhat slow for anything higher than 1680x1050.

DaBuddaDa

dr_rus said:
Your personal "sweet spot" is highly dependant on the resolution you're playing at. 560ti/6870/6950 are somewhat slow for anything higher than 1680x1050.
Benchmarks do not support your theory. A GTX 560 ti will run 95% of PC games on high settings at 1920x1080, and a price/performance ratio, which is what I was talking about, isn't necessarily tied to any specific frame rate. A $1 video card that runs games at 15 fps would be the best price/performance ratio card if it existed.

dr_rus

DaBuddaDa said:
Benchmarks do not support your theory.
This isn't a theory. I have GTX470 at the moment which is more or less in the same range of performance as GTX560Ti. And I can assure that it's not enough for 1080p with AA and AF in much more cases than I'd like.

DaBuddaDa said:
A GTX 560 ti will run 95% of PC games on high settings at 1920x1080, and a price/performance ratio, which is what I was talking about, isn't necessarily tied to any specific frame rate. A $1 video card that runs games at 15 fps would be the best price/performance ratio card if it existed.
15 fps is unplayable thus such perfomance can be considered as 0. And you can't really divide anything by 0 so a $1 card that runs games at 15 fps simply doesn't have any price/performance ratio :p

My point still stands. You have to consider your resolution every time you talk about price/performance "sweet spots". Someone gaming at 1280x1024 will be more or less fine with 550Ti while the same cannot be said for someone with a 2560x1600 display. And it doesn't matter that 550Ti cost much less than 580SLI because you simply won't get any performance out of it in 2560x1600 and you'll be basically wasting money on a card that doesn't suit your needs.

DaBuddaDa

dr_rus said:
This isn't a theory. I have GTX470 at the moment which is more or less in the same range of performance as GTX560Ti. And I can assure that it's not enough for 1080p with AA and AF in much more cases than I'd like.
Those two cards are in similar ranges but the 560 delivers noticeably better frame rates in a large amount of games. I have a similar 6870 on a stock i5 750 and outside of a few well-known outliers (Metro, Crysis), I have no trouble maintaining consistent 60+fps on high in everything I play. I just want to avoid the common perception that one needs to spend $400 on a video card in order to get good performance, which in the vast, vast majority of cases is not the case and is a waste of money. If you're one of the few who is running an extreme resolution or multiple monitors, I trust that you don't need video card advice in the first place anyway :p

Yuripaw

Banned
Is it safe to update my video card drivers yet? I'm running an AMD/ATI card and I had followed someone's instructions on downgrading my drivers to 11.6, and doing something with a config file. Rage runs perfectly for me at the moment, no crashes or anything. However, I picked up Battlefield 3 recently, and that game keeps recommending that I update my drivers. BF3 runs fine, but it has crashed a few times in between matches.

Has Rage been patched enough yet where I could update my drivers?

eastmen

Banned
RedSwirl said:
So I should just wait on this game? Running an AMD HD6850.

game runs fine for me with my 6950 and i didn't have to mess around with it to play . I just avoided the first wrong driver uploaded and waited 3 hours for the right one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Glassboy said:
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4
With my new 560ti I was sitting pretty at a perfect 1080p60 in this game, then at some point I started getting frequent freezes and crashes. You could try validating the data files in steam and redownloading if necessary. That fixed all my problems.

Mr.Green

So I bought this on day one but I had not started the game yet. I figured it should work okay by now...

- Dual 6870s in CFX
- Catalyst 11.10 preview 3
- CAP 4

Crashes on startup.

*sigh*

God I fucking love PC gaming. Next-gen consoles can NOT possibly come soon enough.

Edit: Fixed the crash on startup by disabling triple buffering in the Catalyst control panel. Now if the Logitech G13 software would only work with the Catalyst 11.10 drivers I could almost play! PC gaming IS FUCKING AWESOME!

Massa

It seems this game forced ATI to get their shit together with OpenGL. The just released 11.10 drivers give a nice performance boost on Linux (which is OpenGL only).

The game has just started running perfectly for me for no reason at all.

The game did run perfect before the last patch but since the patch it ran at 15fps. Wanted to show a friend last night and it was running perfect again... 60fps solid. I'm a happy man.

RedSwirl

Okay, just installed and patched. What do I need to know with the following setup?

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
HD6850 1GB VRAM
3GB RAM
1440 x 900 monitor

I heard about the AMD driver issues and the large texture memory setting. What do I need to do?

RedSwirl

Okay so the latest AMD drivers give me the blue world. What risks am I possibly running into by changing the paging file?

RedSwirl

I'm using the +vt_maxPPF 16 launch option (I run a quad core) and I have all anti aliasing turned off, and I'm still getting ridiculous texture pop-in as well as texture glitches when in the overworld.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yikes this thread is dead. Though it never hurts to ask I guess

I have the steam version that I bought yesterday. Aka patched version.

1) How on earth do I minimize the texture popin ?
2) Can I activate the console in anyway?
3) Can I make the game use more vram? ( it's capped at like 700 mb )

Thanks in advance.

JaseC

Yikes this thread is dead. Though it never hurts to ask I guess

I have the steam version that I bought yesterday. Aka patched version.

1) How on earth do I minimize the texture popin ?

Use the 8k config as seen in post #2 and, in the game's options menu, set the texture cache size to its highest value.

2) Can I activate the console in anyway?

+com_allowconsole 1 in the Steam launch options or seta com_allowconsole 1 in the game's config file.

3) Can I make the game use more vram? ( it's capped at like 700 mb )

So more textures can be cached? The engine doesn't work that way - it's designed to throw out everything that isn't currently being viewed.

For what it's worth, with the 8k config and the latest version of the game, I see no texture pop-in at all on my system (E6420 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2-800, GTX 570).

Corky

Use the 8k config as seen in post #2 and, in the game's options menu, set the texture cache size to its highest value.

+com_allowconsole 1 in the Steam launch options or seta com_allowconsole 1 in the game's config file.

So more textures can be cached? The engine doesn't work that way - it's designed to throw out everything that isn't currently being viewed.

For what it's worth, with the 8k config and the latest version of the game, I see no texture pop-in at all on my system (E6420 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2-800, GTX 570).

Thanks a lot mate :) I'm pleasantly surprised I actually got a reply <3! Gonna try these suggestions a s a p and post an update in a couple of minutes.

JaseC

Thanks a lot mate :) I'm pleasantly surprised I actually got a reply <3! Gonna try these suggestions a s a p and post an update in a couple of minutes.

No worries. :) If you have an nvidia GPU, you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever. If you don't, well, I hope you've done your good deed for the day, because you'll need all the good fortune you can get. :p

Corky

No worries. :) If you have an nvidia GPU, you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever. If you don't, well, I hope you've done your good deed for the day, because you'll need all the good fortune you can get. :p

Thanks again, here's my unfortunate update though :(! I must be doing something wrong.
I still get pop-in bad enough to make me not want to play. This is what it looks like when I turn my back away from this view from 2 seconds and then turn it back.

rage2011-11-2219-49-1q2umk.png

rage2011-11-2219-49-15lu75.png

Also I don't think the 8k textures tweaks have gone into effect since the game looks like this without the tweak aswell. Plus I can't get the console to work for the life of me, I'm pressing "§" but nothing happens. . Well I've solved this atleast, my console was bizarrely bound to "ö" and not "§". But all my other problems remain...

Some info :

- The game is up to date
- I'm using the latest nvidia drivers
- I'm using the following in my steam launch options :

+com_skipIntroVideo 1 +com_allowconsole 1 +cvaradd g_fov 10

- I'm using the following lines in my rageconfig CFG-file that is in the "base" folder :

vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4
seta com_allowconsole 1

What am I missing? Thanks again for any input!

JaseC

Thanks again, here's my unfortunate update though :(! I must be doing something wrong.
I still get pop-in bad enough to make me not want to play. This is what it looks like when I turn my back away from this view from 2 seconds and then turn it back.

rage2011-11-2219-49-1q2umk.png

rage2011-11-2219-49-15lu75.png

Also I don't think the 8k textures tweaks have gone into effect since the game looks like this without the tweak aswell. Plus I can't get the console to work for the life of me, I'm pressing "§" but nothing happens.

Some info :

- The game is up to date
- I'm using the latest nvidia drivers
- I'm using the following in my steam launch options :

- I'm using the following lines in my rageconfig CFG-file that is in the "base" folder :

What am I missing? Thanks again for any input!

I think the texture cache option renders the texture cvars redundant, but I recommended them anyway as I didn't alter my config file post-patch and experienced smooth sailing from thereon out. In regard to the console, you need to add ; at the end of each but the last command when using multiple launch options. For instance, your launch options should look like this:

+com_skipIntroVideo 1; +com_allowconsole 1; +cvaradd g_fov 10

There was one thing I forgot to mention, though it may have been fixed in the patch, and that is to go to the C:\Users\[your Windows account name]\AppData\Local directory and create an id software folder and then a rage folder inside that, as the directory is used for a ~1GB texture cache file. There's really not much else I can recommend, sorry.

Corky

I think the texture cache option renders the texture cvars redundant, but I recommended them anyway as I didn't alter my config file post-patch and experienced smooth sailing from thereon out. In regard to the console, you need to add ; at the end of each but the last command when using multiple launch options. For instance, your launch options should look like this:

There was one thing I forgot to mention, though it may have been fixed in the patch, and that is to go to the C:\Users\[your Windows account name]\AppData\Local directory and create an id software folder and then a rage folder inside that, as the directory is used for a ~1GB texture cache file. There's really not much else I can recommend, sorry.

Thanks, I just wish I could get rid of the texture pop-in :(, maybe it would help if I enabled HT on my 2600k? Since I assume, or rather understood that apparently the pop-in is due to cpu-something or other.

JaseC

Thanks, I just wish I could get rid of the texture pop-in :(, maybe it would help if I enabled HT on my 2600k? Since I assume, or rather understood that apparently the pop-in is due to cpu-something or other.

Couldn't hurt to try.

Top Bottom