• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

jett

D-Member
Deadbeat said:
So the game's inconsistency in its visual quality will never be properly addressed?

When the RAGE QFHD re-release comes out on PS5!

The only real problem with the game's textures is macroblocking and pop-in. During most of the game the textures look great for console standards...and Rage is a console game first and foremost.

jett said:
When the RAGE QFHD re-release comes out on PS5!

The only real problem with the game's textures is macroblocking and pop-in. During most of the game the textures look great for console standards...and Rage is a console game first and foremost.

Carmack said when the textures were compressed to make the game run on consoles you could see a lot of sad expressions on the artists' faces. He was implying they were looking mighty fine in the original PC implementation of the MTexture technology.

And now it's said they were never significantly better looking just compression artifact free?

jett

D-Member
angular graphics said:
Carmack said when the textures were compressed to make the game run on consoles you could see a lot of sad expressions on the artists' faces. He was implying they were looking mighty fine in the original PC implementation of the MTexture technology.

And now it's said they were never significantly better looking just compression artifact free?

Do you even read what you write? :p What do you think compression does to an image?

That texture were compressed further for disk space issues, not to make them run on consoles.

jett said:
Do you even read what you write? :p What do you think compression does to an image?

That texture were compressed further for disk space issues, not to make them run on consoles.

Actually.. they WERE compressed to make them run on consoles :p

On the PC their only limitation was the disk space, while on the consoles it was both the disk space AND the memory etc limitations. And in their internal early PC builds disk space was never an issue (for obvious reasons) so..

The first significant degrade of the texture quality was when they ported (or redid since supposedly it's pretty different) the MT tech to run on consoles, and the artists weren't happy with how it looked anymore..

At least this is what I remember from Carmack's keynote..

scitek

If they do release uncompressed textures, I wouldn't expect the resolution to increase, but they would definitely be a lot clearer in some cases. After all, YouTube has videos that are the same resolution as Blu-ray discs, but the compression makes that a non-issue.

Angry Fork

Hoooly shit @ this game on PC. I've seen it in action now and I have no clue how in the world this game was considered finished. I was on a computer able to run it "maxed" (based on whatever small options were available) running 60fps, but man this megatexture thing has got to be the worst idea ever conceived for gaming. I don't know why Carmack thought this was a good idea considering what the finished product has become. Why was this used in the first place? What was the point? From far away the textures look fine and nice in some areas (most notably the sandy ground which looks great) but then in others it looks something awful.

Obviously Carmack knows way more than me on these kinds of things but all I know is this game looks and runs from meh/decent to awful/lolwut, while other games that doesn't use Carmack's god technology manage to look and run much better.

The megatexture stuff is just the start though. It seems almost everything in this game is behind the industry standard. Animations, lighting, whatever else that I can't recall right now I mean the only thing that looked genuinely good enough to warrant attention was the sky/clouds but that looks just as great in many other games. I don't know what sets this game apart from other games visually and it feels like almost everything about it is a step behind. And I don't care about console 60fps sacrificing pretty much everything for the sake of running 60fps on consoles is meaningless to me as a PC gamer. And I doubt console gamers care much about 60fps either except in multiplayer games like COD.

Now I'm going beyond performance for a moment but I'm just so perplexed at this game, even the gameplay feels so unbelievably 'been there done that' more so than many FPS'. The gunplay feels good and feels very old school FPS which I did like a lot but in terms of missions and talking to people etc. I'm really awe struck that this is what's come out of 5-6 years development time. I really hope id has Doom 4 being made with PC hardware in mind, and then scale it down during development for console as needed because whatever was done during Rage did not work as far as I'm concerned.

LCGeek

formerly sane
subversus said:

Agreed

I won't put animations in my top 3 for this generation but this game from what my friend showed me the other day is top 10 for me. People are on crack with some of their opinions and have been staring at too many high end products vs the majority of what most are really making.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
angular graphics said:
Actually.. they WERE compressed to make them run on consoles :p

On the PC their only limitation was the disk space, while on the consoles it was both the disk space AND the memory etc limitations. And in their internal early PC builds disk space was never an issue (for obvious reasons) so..

The first significant degrade of the texture quality was when they ported (or redid since supposedly it's pretty different) the MT tech to run on consoles, and the artists weren't happy with how it looked anymore..

At least this is what I remember from Carmack's keynote..

Memory limitations are less of an issue with id Tech 5 due to the virtualised textures. The console memory ceiling is still as small as it's ever been, of course, but the technology allows a greater level of detail in a given scene when compared with the traditional method of tiling textures. The particular reason why Rage's textures are so horribly compressed is because of id's desire for cross-platform equality butting heads with the space limitations of DVD - the X360 version of the game was always intended to be 3 discs (2 for SP and 1 for MP) and so the texture compression across the board had to be aggressive enough for the game to fit within this confine.

Angry Fork

subversus said:
I honestly didn't feel like they were anything special. I wouldn't go as far to say they were bad but every enemy I encountered had the same kind of scripted look about them. They'd run in the same line, then jump somewhere jump off run toward you in the same line again. When you killed them it was this kind of Fallout-esque ragdoll thing. Better reactions to bullets can be found in Killzone 2/3. The facial animations are nowhere near what was shown in the original trailers etc.

I don't know I mean I consider euphoria, the kinds of things in Red Dead or in Uncharted (doesn't use euphoria I believe but looks just as good imo), to be the top of the line animation right now and Rage certainly has none of that. I just expected more out of a game being worked on for so long and being hyped to be a technological masterpiece of sorts.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Angry Fork said:
I honestly didn't feel like they were anything special. I wouldn't go as far to say they were bad but every enemy I encountered had the same kind of scripted look about them. They'd run in the same line, then jump somewhere jump off run toward you in the same line again. When you killed them it was this kind of Fallout-esque ragdoll thing. Better reactions to bullets can be found in Killzone 2/3. The facial animations are nowhere near what was shown in the original trailers etc.

I don't know I mean I consider euphoria, the kinds of things in Red Dead or in Uncharted (doesn't use euphoria I believe but looks just as good imo), to be the top of the line animation right now and Rage certainly has none of that. I just expected more out of a game being worked on for so long and being hyped to be a technological masterpiece of sorts.

What's special and why is this the benchmark you're using against rage considering how indepth carmack has been about various issues? For it coming from the engine it did I'm satisfied with the results especially remembering how garbage it was for outside situations last decade.

Your point about canned animations is true but I'm equally as picky and still think despite immense progress we made animation, physics, and fps is still shit in most games pc or console.

Angry Fork

LCGeek said:
What's special and why is this the benchmark you're using against rage considering how indepth carmack has been about various issues? For it coming from the engine it did I'm satisfied with the results especially remembering how garbage it was for outside situations last decade.

Your point about canned animations is true but I'm equally as picky and still think despite immense progress we made animation, physics, and fps is still shit in most games pc or console.
I don't think they're bad or that the game is unplayable. In terms of the megatexture stuff I do feel like I have no clue what the point was besides getting 60fps on consoles which I guess may have been the point. I don't think it was worth all the current hassle with the PC version but I guess sales figures a couple weeks from now (or sooner?) will decide whether or not consoles were the right way to go with that.

But in terms of the animation/lighting stuff I guess I just expected more. The videos looked so much better than what the game looks like in your face actually running. And this doesn't usually happen with great looking games. FF13 looks MUCH better physically playing in 1080p than any video I've seen of it, Uncharted the same, and various other games. Rage looked absolutely gorgeous in videos and gameplay demonstrations etc. but playing it for real has made me wonder what's the big deal and that disappointed me.

For me Doom 3 was and still is a very fine looking game. It doesn't hold up how Half Life 2 did but Doom 3 was very special in my opinion and ahead of it's time. I was expecting Rage to offer the same kind of experience but felt nothing of the sort and I can't think of a single thing about it that isn't done better in another game. I didn't mean to come in just to bitch/complain but ponder why it was released in this state on PC and not at least given some kind of higher resolution pack or have these patches set in stone before release. You shouldn't have to change tons of codes or mess with notepad files to fix these kinds of glitches not from an id software game imo. It only makes me worry more about Doom 4.

I've been playing for about 7 hours without a config file, and the texture pop-in hasn't been bothering me at all until now that I reached Dead City. I get pop-in whenever I turn more than 90 degrees, and it's really annoying.

The game isn't using more than 732MB VRAM either. I guess I have the latest patch to thank for that.

I have a GTX460 1GB and an i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz.

EDIT: I don't even have to turn 90 degrees to get texture pop-in. This sucks.

Reallink

Angry Fork said:
Hoooly shit @ this game on PC. I've seen it in action now and I have no clue how in the world this game was considered finished. I was on a computer able to run it "maxed" (based on whatever small options were available) running 60fps, but man this megatexture thing has got to be the worst idea ever conceived for gaming. I don't know why Carmack thought this was a good idea considering what the finished product has become. Why was this used in the first place? What was the point? From far away the textures look fine and nice in some areas (most notably the sandy ground which looks great) but then in others it looks something awful.

Obviously Carmack knows way more than me on these kinds of things but all I know is this game looks and runs from meh/decent to awful/lolwut, while other games that doesn't use Carmack's god technology manage to look and run much better.

The megatexture stuff is just the start though. It seems almost everything in this game is behind the industry standard. Animations, lighting, whatever else that I can't recall right now I mean the only thing that looked genuinely good enough to warrant attention was the sky/clouds but that looks just as great in many other games. I don't know what sets this game apart from other games visually and it feels like almost everything about it is a step behind. And I don't care about console 60fps sacrificing pretty much everything for the sake of running 60fps on consoles is meaningless to me as a PC gamer. And I doubt console gamers care much about 60fps either except in multiplayer games like COD.

Now I'm going beyond performance for a moment but I'm just so perplexed at this game, even the gameplay feels so unbelievably 'been there done that' more so than many FPS'. The gunplay feels good and feels very old school FPS which I did like a lot but in terms of missions and talking to people etc. I'm really awe struck that this is what's come out of 5-6 years development time. I really hope id has Doom 4 being made with PC hardware in mind, and then scale it down during development for console as needed because whatever was done during Rage did not work as far as I'm concerned.

Nah, only problem is the textures. If their quality and resolution were on par with (say) Witcher 2, this would be heralded as the greatest looking game available hands down. The art direction is great, the geometry is bananas, and the animations are fine. When you hit one of the sweet spots with no glaringly low res textures, it's obvious the overall visual design is master class.

Special J

Banned
if you have an amd card and having problems try updating your drivers. was having some problems ranging from poor framerate, tearing, texture popping, animation flickering, missing corrupted textures. now the game is smooth as butter, no tearing, 8x aa, 60fps.

have the newest game patch, updated to rage performance drivers, then installed 10.11 preview 2 drivers ON top with a.i. catalyst set to standard.

Flambe

Welp, just got Rage and holy fuck at the screen tearing.

Tried enabling v-sync via in-game options, by command line, forced through Nvidia control panel, I'm running out of options. I'm on latest Nvidia beta drivers running with a 560-Ti, 2-screen setup.

Hmm maybe try disabling other monitor for now -_-

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb, I had forced AA in nvidia options rather than Vsync haha.

Metal-Geo

AndyMoogle said:
I've been playing for about 7 hours without a config file, and the texture pop-in hasn't been bothering me at all until now that I reached Dead City. I get pop-in whenever I turn more than 90 degrees, and it's really annoying.

The game isn't using more than 732MB VRAM either. I guess I have the latest patch to thank for that.

I have a GTX460 1GB and an i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz.

EDIT: I don't even have to turn 90 degrees to get texture pop-in. This sucks.
Do you have a custom vt_maxppf variable in rageconfig.cfg?

forrest

formerly nacire
So I've been on vacation the past week and I'm ready to get back to my Rage playthrough. I've deleted the old config I had and I'm running the 11.9 Catalyst drivers. Has there been any driver updates on the ATI side or am I good to jump back in? Any other tweaks to better performance or has the game patch remedied a lot of things?

Metal-Geo

nacire said:
So I've been on vacation the past week and I'm ready to get back to my Rage playthrough. I've deleted the old config I had and I'm running the 11.9 Catalyst drivers. Has there been any driver updates on the ATI side or am I good to jump back in? Any other tweaks to better performance or has the game patch remedied a lot of things?
There's a 11.10 preview 2 driver you might be interested in. A lot of people saw an insane amount of performance improvement. Myself included. Be sure to have Catalyst AI on though, or you'll end up with weird corrupted textures.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
This is kind of PC related so i will post it here.

Can anyone else map more than 3 mouse buttons? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Minsc

Gold Member
lol @ Anandtech:

We tried to do a few comparisons between NVIDIA and AMD graphics solutions, but the game engine (and drivers) feel a bit too raw for that right now. In another month or two, AMD, NVIDIA, and id Software will likely have all the bugs worked out and everyone can get around to playing the game as intended. Perhaps we’ll also get a useable benchmark mode where we can at least see how the graphics solutions compare. Until then, Rage remains an impressive technology demonstration and a game that some people will certainly enjoy; it’s just not a good benchmark for us right now.

So bizarre at the lack of quality control in this release, and the tech sites not doing benchmarks on Carmack's latest pet project is like waking up in some sort of opposite world. It's actually a pretty good warning sign, come to think of it. Lack of benchmarks prior to / at release in this type of game should raise an eyebrow to the game's condition.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In terms of the megatexture stuff I do feel like I have no clue what the point was besides getting 60fps on consoles which I guess may have been the point.
The textures and framerate aren't really connected here. Megatexture is a technique that allows you to use one large unique texture for the entire world. It's not about how sharp textures appear on individual objects, rather, the variety that can be displayed. It's true that the surfaces aren't as sharp or clean as we'd like, but there is no real evidence of tiling. Nearly every surface features its own unique appearance. Artists can literally draw directly into the world.

Most other games use a series of smaller textures that are repeated across a surface. They can also place other textures on top of the repeating textures in order to add some variety, but you can still see that wall 1 is using the same base textures as wall 23. In Rage you could have a massive brick wall in which each and every visible brick is unique.

Obviously, with all of the complaints people have leveled at the game, this was not a complete success. People are far more likely to notice artifacts than the improvements brought to the table. I do believe these virtual textures have a future, but the hardware simply wasn't ready yet. I don't even think you can blame the consoles for this as the PC struggles with these textures as well.

forrest

formerly nacire
Metal-Geo said:
There's a 11.10 preview 2 driver you might be interested in. A lot of people saw an insane amount of performance improvement. Myself included. Be sure to have Catalyst AI on though, or you'll end up with weird corrupted textures.

Okay so yeah, deleted my old custom config, got the game patched and installed 11.10 preview 2 drivers and I'm getting the corrupted textures issue. Everyone says having Catalyst AI on will fix it, but there is no On/Off setting for Catalyst AI. There is a checkbox for surface optimization and a slider for Texture Filtering quality. Anyone have any suggestions?

jett

D-Member
nacire said:
Okay so yeah, deleted my old custom config, got the game patched and installed 11.10 preview 2 drivers and I'm getting the corrupted textures issue. Everyone says having Catalyst AI on will fix it, but there is no On/Off setting for Catalyst AI. There is a checkbox for surface optimization and a slider for Texture Filtering quality. Anyone have any suggestions?

Set everything Catalyst AI related to max.

scitek

dark10x said:
The textures and framerate aren't really connected here. Megatexture is a technique that allows you to use one large unique texture for the entire world. It's not about how sharp textures appear on individual objects, rather, the variety that can be displayed. It's true that the surfaces aren't as sharp or clean as we'd like, but there is no real evidence of tiling. Nearly every surface features its own unique appearance. Artists can literally draw directly into the world.

Most other games use a series of smaller textures that are repeated across a surface. They can also place other textures on top of the repeating textures in order to add some variety, but you can still see that wall 1 is using the same base textures as wall 23. In Rage you could have a massive brick wall in which each and every visible brick is unique.

Obviously, with all of the complaints people have leveled at the game, this was not a complete success. People are far more likely to notice artifacts than the improvements brought to the table. I do believe these virtual textures have a future, but the hardware simply wasn't ready yet. I don't even think you can blame the consoles for this as the PC struggles with these textures as well.

Is it an issue of VRAM to store the textures in on PC? Mega-texturing could be done with high-res textures, but I'm guessing they'd be crazy-huge. Like dozens of GB in size.

Flambe said:
Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb, I had forced AA in nvidia options rather than Vsync haha.

So forcing vsync in the nvidia options worked for me in regards to getting rid of the terrible screen-tearing.

However (and I don't know if this is in regards to the v-sync being enabled or just generally what other people are seeing in this part of the game) The framerate on the vehicle stuff is ALL OVER THE MAP. I mean sometimes if I hit a speed-boost it will jump up to uppder 50s or 60. Sometimes in certain areas it'll be at 60. Other times it seems to dip to 30 or jump around in the mid to upper 30s.

The instability of it all is verry jarring and makes the gameplay very "staggered" when using the first couple vehicles (I've only played about 2 hours).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
scitek said:
Is it an issue of VRAM to store the textures in on PC? Mega-texturing could be done with high-res textures, but I'm guessing they'd be crazy-huge. Like dozens of GB in size.
I think the problem lies more in the transfer of textures to memory than the amount of memory available. A lot of people are still seeing pop-in with Rage and it was causing a lot of performance issues for many machines as well. It seems that filling and removing these textures from memory is a demanding task that is held back by the massive overhead you have on a PC. I believe this is what Carmack was talking about when he pointed out weaknesses on the PC side. If you were to massively increase the texture quality and data size, I'm not convinced it could smoothly load as you play. You might be met with additional hitching or other problems.

The instability of it all is verry jarring and makes the gameplay very "staggered" when using the first couple vehicles (I've only played about 2 hours).
Which is a shame as that is one area where the console versions shine (they hold 60 a good 99% of the time). It's quite impressive.

forrest

formerly nacire
jett said:
Set everything Catalyst AI related to max.

Hmm still no change, blocky black textures and such everywhere. Odd that a driver ago with custom config works better than new drivers and a game patch. :(

Metal-Geo

nacire said:
Hmm still no change, blocky black textures and such everywhere. Odd that a driver ago with custom config works better than new drivers and a game patch. :(
Alright. Follow me on this. :p

Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ATI. Somewhere over there should be a profiles.xml file. Open it with your favorite text editor. Ctrl-F for CatalystAI. Make sure that at every CatalystAI the value is set to Enabled. Like this:
<Property name="CatalystAI" value="Enable">

If that ain't it... well, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas as well. :(

MikeE21286 said:
I sort of have this problem as well. But it's less bothersome for me, from the sound of it. It's due to all the mega texture data being loaded as you drive through the desert at a relatively high speed.

forrest

formerly nacire
Metal-Geo said:
Alright. Follow me on this. :p

Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ATI. Somewhere over there should be a profiles.xml file. Open it with your favorite text editor. Ctrl-F for CatalystAI. Make sure that at every CatalystAI the value is set to Enabled. Like this:
<Property name="CatalystAI" value="Enable">

If that ain't it... well, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas as well. :(

I sort of have this problem as well. But it's less bothersome for me, from the sound of it. It's due to all the mega texture data being loaded as you drive through the desert at a relatively high speed.

Well that didn't work at first, but once I deleted some old profiles I had it worked. I'm thinking my CCC was defaulting to one of the old profiles that had CatalystAI disabled. ATI really needs to get their shit together. Having to troubleshoot this game, this long after release is just embarrassing.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Used to following config file, modified slightly from the steam forums. Set texture cache and filtering to high and vsync on. Game looks and runs incredible on 6970, zero popin, taring or stuttering.

//HD Config v2.0 By FusedCore
echo "^1 Loading the HD Config v2.0 by FusedCore..."
//cvar_restart //use this setting to use the games default settings
cvaradd s_lockListener -1; seta s_lockListener 0; echo "^1Setting the Cvar listener to unlock the settings so this game can use the config..."
seta jobs_numThreads 1; echo "^1Setting the threads..." //CPU Threads Use 0-12 for the number of threads your system has. Lower Numbers are better and Use this only if your having Stuttering or hanging.
seta com_videoRam "2048"; echo "^1Setting the Video memory size..." //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
//cvaradd com_synctotime -1; echo "^1Disabling the framelimiter..." //Use this command to disable the 60fps locker
//seta com_maxfps "60"; echo "^1Setting the fps to your settings..." //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
seta fc_maxcachememoryMB 1536; echo "^1Setting the File Cache size..." //Increases the default file cache size to completely eliminate the popins
seta image_anisotropy "16"; echo "^1Setting the Ansistropy Filtering..." //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_usecompression 0; echo "^1Disabling the Image Compression..."
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; echo "^1Setting the image filtering..."
seta image_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; echo "^1Setting the image blending"
seta image_preload "1"; echo "^1Enabling preloaded Images..."//Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias "-1"; echo "^1Setting the image LoD..." //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"; echo "^1Setting the HQ images..." //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" echo "^1Setting the LQ images..." //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1"; echo "^1Setting the image cache..." //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "2048"; echo "^1Setting the cache maxsize..." //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "10"; echo "^1Setting the cache minsize..." //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_aspectRatio "2"; echo "^1Setting the Aspect Ratio..." // 0=4:3, 1=16:9, 2=16:10, 3=5:4 TFT, -1 custom
seta r_fullscreen "1"; echo "^1Setting the fullscreen option..."
//seta r_customAspectRatioV "10"
//seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
seta r_swapInterval 1; echo "^1Setting the Vsync option..." //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1"; echo "^1Setting the HQ post proccessing..." //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1"; echo "^1Setting the HQ Shadows..." //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
seta r_multiSamples "32"; echo "^1Setting the MultiSampling..." //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useHBAO "1"; echo "^1Setting the Ambient occlusion..."
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1"; echo "^1Setting the Motion Blur..." //use blur
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"; echo "^1Setting the Shadows..."
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1"; echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture LoD..." //LoD settings
//below is cache settings And advanced GFX settings
echo "^1Setting the Textures type..."
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
seta vt_maxPPF 64; echo "^1Setting the Pages per file..." //Set this to 64 for Quad-cores CPU's or higher, 16 or 8 for dual-cores CPU's
seta vt_preload "1"; echo "^1Setting the Visual Textures to Preload..."
//Begin Advanced GFX Filtering and Sharper Images. Comment these 3 lines out if you are having issues or don't like the way it looks.
echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture Filters"
//seta vt_filter "GL_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta vt_envf "GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE"
seta vt_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
//End of Advanced GFX Filtering
seta vt_useCache "1"; echo "^1Setting the Visual texture cache..."
seta vt_cacheMegs "1024"; echo "^1Setting the cache maxsize..."
seta vt_cacheMinK "10"; echo "^1Setting the cache minsize..."
seta vt_ignoreHighQuality "0"; echo "^1Setting the HQ Visual Texture..."
seta vt_ignoreLowQuality "1"; echo "^1Setting the LQ Visual Texture..."
//Begin HD Settings
echo "^1 -Loading the HD Settings..."
seta vt_qualityhdplossless "1"
seta vt_qualityhdppower "1"
seta vt_qualityhdpspecular "1"
seta vt_qualityhdpnormal "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpdiffuse "1"
seta vt_qualitydctpower "100"
seta vt_qualitydctspecular "100"
seta vt_qualitydctnormal "100"
seta vt_qualitydctchroma "100"
seta vt_qualitydctluma "100"
seta vt_maxlockedpages "2048"
//HD Image settings
seta image_qualityhdplossless "1"
seta image_qualityhdppower "1"
seta image_qualityhdpspecular "1"
seta image_qualityhdpnormal "0"
seta image_qualityhdpdiffuse "1"
seta image_qualitydctpower "100"
seta image_qualitydctspecular "100"
seta image_qualitydctnormal "100"
seta image_qualitydctchroma "100"
seta image_qualitydctluma "100"
seta image_maxlockedpages "1024"
//End HD Settings
echo "^1 -HD Settings Loaded..."
//seta vt_maxaniso 4; echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture anisotropy..." //Set this to 0 if your having lots screen tarring issues and do NOT set this higher then 4 otherwise it will corrupt the Mega-Textures
echo "^1-If you Have seen NO Unknowns above this line then it has all been Loaded without errors-"
echo "^1 ...HD Config v2.0 by FusedCore Loaded, Enjoy the game!!!"

Dunno what all this crap is but I tried it and now the game runs almost perfect. Took care of my stuttering problem and almost always have a constant 60FPS. Every once in awhile my FPS will drop below 50 but its not very often. I can actually enjoy the game now.

The game looks great unless you get up close to anything, but during normal game play you aren't going to zoom in and analyze textures.

I like how the world looks and feels more like a work of art or painting as opposed to a lot of games the environment feels a lot more computer generated, I think that is what Carmack was going for with the mega-texture tech

btw my rig is:

Core i7 860 @ 3.3Ghz
ATI Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3 RAM

So I'm playing on a lowly core duo 3.2, with a GTX 260 and 4 gig RAM.

The game looks great, runs well with forced v-sync, little texture pop in and 2 x anti aliasing.

BUT I'm getting sporadic crashes :(

Any help would be appreciated!

forrest

formerly nacire
@CatalystCreator Andrew D

"Cat 11.10 V3 - will be released officially tomorrow (we wanted to do some Rage testing) - but I see that it's already out in the wild..."

So apparently, this newest driver is identical to the official driver coming later this month. I'm installing as we speak to see if the claims that it solves pretty much every complaint is true. If it stops the tiny little stutters I've been experiencing with the the most recent drivers then I will be amazed.

nacire said:
@CatalystCreator Andrew D

"Cat 11.10 V3 - will be released officially tomorrow (we wanted to do some Rage testing) - but I see that it's already out in the wild..."

So apparently, this newest driver is identical to the official driver coming later this month. I'm installing as we speak to see if the claims that it solves pretty much every complaint is true. If it stops the tiny little stutters I've been experiencing with the the most recent drivers then I will be amazed.
downloading, and will try shortly. was just about to settle in for an extended session :)

forrest

formerly nacire
So far so good! Seems to be pretty damn smooth all around. Not perfect, but pretty damn nice. If I rotate at a constant speed, smooth and slow, there is the occasional hiccup, but its very very small and much less pronounced than the past two drivers.

nacire said:
So far so good! Seems to be pretty damn smooth all around. Not perfect, but pretty damn nice. If I rotate at a constant speed, smooth and slow, there is the occasional hiccup, but its very very small and much less pronounced than the past two drivers.
i was only getting a 1 second hang every twenty minutes or so with the last drivers. other than that i was a locked 60 at the 8k setting... so we'll see if the 1 second hangs are gone. would be good! currently installing the driver.

a single HD5870 for anyone wondering.

jett

D-Member
Can someone that had to use '+jobs_numThreads 0' test if you can turn on Catalyst AI with the latest drivers without the game turning into a slideshow(without the +jobs command of course)?

forrest

formerly nacire
Hmm, posted too soon! :p The little stutters are still there for the most part. Fraps is saying 60, but it's a flickering 60 and it's just not really that smooth. Came to post this cause the game just crashed while loading a race. Still seems like a better driver than the last one.

I've never experienced any of the longer FPS hangs that people have spoke about. I'm on a 5850 and for the 11.10 drivers I've just had these small little stutters every so many seconds. It's hardly game breaking or anything, but it does detract from the fact this game should be running like butter.

nacire said:
Hmm, posted too soon! :p The little stutters are still there for the most part. Fraps is saying 60, but it's a flickering 60 and it's just not really that smooth. Came to post this cause the game just crashed while loading a race. Still seems like a better driver than the last one.

I've never experienced any of the longer FPS hangs that people have spoke about. I'm on a 5850 and for the 11.10 drivers I've just had these small little stutters every so many seconds. It's hardly game breaking or anything, but it does detract from the fact this game should be running like butter.
i disagree. with these new drivers i'm getting the occasional crash on level loading again, and i see no improvement over the preview 2s, so i'm going to go back to them as they were stable. also this happened at one point, and i had to quit and reload the game to fix it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/plagiarize/screenshot/632980588293140978?tab=public

luka

Loves Robotech S1
nacire said:

Yeah, I'm getting 60fps solid now, but it doesn't look like 60 because of all the little microstutters. I've basically accepted that happening with this card (4870x2) as I get it in D3 and Q4 as well. I really need to get rid of it soon.

Regardless, the new drivers made it as perfect as I think it will get. Solid FPS, no pop-in, no more texture artifacts or crossfire hitching. I can finally properly enjoy the game. :)

Dmax3901

Ok so I've been playing the last couple of days and I've noticed something weird.

I'll load up the game and it will be really slow, as if I have a million programs running in the background. I quit, do something for five minutes, then decide to give it another shot, smooth as butter. I don't understand.

luka said:
Yeah, I'm getting 60fps solid now, but it doesn't look like 60 because of all the little microstutters. I've basically accepted that happening with this card (4870x2) as I get it in D3 and Q4 as well. I really need to get rid of it soon.
you won't regret it. a couple of years back i ditched my 9800 GX2 for the HD5870 i'm rocking now... and finally 60 fps felt like 60 fps again.

even better, no waiting for a driver update to make full use of my card.

i believe the GTX 570 is the current fastest single GPU part these days still. that's be the one to go for if you can afford it.

JaseC

plagiarize said:
you won't regret it. a couple of years back i ditched my 9800 GX2 for the HD5870 i'm rocking now... and finally 60 fps felt like 60 fps again.

even better, no waiting for a driver update to make full use of my card.

i believe the GTX 570 is the current fastest single GPU part these days still. that's be the one to go for if you can afford it.

GTX 580. The 590 is the dual-GPU single-card equivalent. The 570 is arguably the best "bang for your buck", however.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Just started the game today and I'm unable to activate v-sync. I keep turning it on but it doesn't accept the changes. Any other changes to the settings are working though. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm using a 560 Ti w/285.38 driver.

JaseC

MadOdorMachine said:
Just started the game today and I'm unable to activate v-sync. I keep turning it on but it doesn't accept the changes. Any other changes to the settings are working though. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm using a 560 Ti w/285.38 driver.

If I'm not mistaken, nvidia's profile for the game forces the disabling of vsync. You'll have to edit it otherwise through the driver control panel.

Top Bottom