• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Increasing the texel density (what you're referring to as "texture resolution") wouldn't increase the amount of VRAM required just the amount of disk space required.

Still, I tend to agree, the sacrifices required just seem far too steep. RAGE is a unique looking game but at times it can be a very ugly one as well.

i love the texture variety, but the compression they had to pull kind of kills it for me. when i'm driving or shooting, i'm a fan of the visuals. when i'm poking around wellspring, or what have you, sometimes they look awesome and sometimes they look terrible.

plus, they make you walk right up close to stuff like the doors that exit a level. why didn't they just put a static model in place of those because the doors that you open mid level are decently textured.

PowerK

I think the art direction is superb. The game sometimes looks like a living, moving painting. Its absolutely gorgeous. Don’t nitpick individual textures, but absorb the scene as a whole and its breath-taking. The animation and level geometry are excellent.

That being said, this is about 22GB install for a roughly 10 hour game. On one hand, when you see all the uniqueness to the details in the world, you can see why (MegaTexture tech). On the other, when all the uniqueness is covered in blurry textures, it can be detracting from the detail.

I haven't tried the patch, yet. Looking forward to seeing the updates this weekend.

Carm

Heh, started up the game after patch. Everything on highest settings except AA at x4. With Texture Detail off, 60fps pretty much all the time, with it on I don't think I saw the game go above 6fps. Strangely though, inside Wellspring it was at 60, but as soon as I went to the wastelands it was unplayable.

weird that people are seeing massive drops with texture detail on. are you guys on dual cores? i have a pretty old quad core, but i stayed above 50 fps with the detail setting on.

Carm

weird that people are seeing massive drops with texture detail on. are you guys on dual cores? i have a pretty old quad core, but i stayed above 50 fps with the detail setting on.

3ghz AMD 945 Phenom x4
460 GTX 1gb
8gig memory

*shrug* As I said though, it was weird, inside Wellspring no fps change, soon as I loaded into the wasteland, it was at 4-6fps. I even sat there a good minute or two, to see if it was just trying to load everything at once.

Update: After you mentioned your fps. I decided to try it again. This time after turning the option on, restarted the game. Loading into Wellspring no issues 60fps, loading into the Wasteland 4-6fps. Waited roughly 3-4mins, and finally everything was back to 50-60fps, though I was noticing some stuttering while walking/driving even after that. I then loaded back into Wellspring, everything was normal, then back to Wasteland, and back to 4-6fps.

So I guess every new non town area will run like shit every time I load into it while it's doing whatever it's doing. I'm just gonna keep the setting off, I didn't see a massive difference anyhoo.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, I've just been playing RAGE on standard default settings, no tweaks, no detail textures on, and it's still a good looking game that runs 60fps locked on my 580. I mean the textures could definitely be sharper up close, but the overall image is very nice looking and impressive and everything is so smooth.

Don't get the hate. Sure the corridor stuff is pretty bland looking, but a lot of the outdoor vistas are some of the most impressive visuals I've seen in gaming. I really want to see more games on this engine.

I think the art direction is superb. The game sometimes looks like a living, moving painting. Its absolutely gorgeous. Don’t nitpick individual textures, but absorb the scene as a whole and its breath-taking. The animation and level geometry are excellent.

Basically this.

doomquake

Had a play around with the new exe. The sharpen filter is alright at times and really bad at others. It is basically the same as a heavy video sharpen filter on old dvcams. Some textures look better, but there are places where the whitish outlines around harshly sharpened textures just make the whole scene super flat.

I feel like using the original exe actually, because AGAIN they removed some console commands. I understand the g_stoptime command might have been abused to get some nightmare achievements or something retarted, but..WHY did they remove the dynamiclighting control? I just don't understand the logic. The rediculous green hue is really bad and a some places look awesome with this option off. So..i think ill continue my very slow first playthrough with the original exe...

(If you guys are getting 2fps with the new patch sharpen filter, just wait like 2 minutes and it will be smooth. )

PowerK

3ghz AMD 945 Phenom x4
460 GTX 1gb
8gig memory

*shrug* As I said though, it was weird, inside Wellspring no fps change, soon as I loaded into the wasteland, it was at 4-6fps. I even sat there a good minute or two, to see if it was just trying to load everything at once.

Update: After you mentioned your fps. I decided to try it again. This time after turning the option on, restarted the game. Loading into Wellspring no issues 60fps, loading into the Wasteland 4-6fps. Waited roughly 3-4mins, and finally everything was back to 50-60fps, though I was noticing some stuttering while walking/driving even after that. I then loaded back into Wellspring, everything was normal, then back to Wasteland, and back to 4-6fps.

So I guess every new non town area will run like shit every time I load into it while it's doing whatever it's doing. I'm just gonna keep the setting off, I didn't see a massive difference anyhoo.
It sounds like VRAM limitation issue. Can you run GPU-Z in the background while playing Rage. Spin around in Wellspring, and Wasteland.. after that see the maximum VRAM usage history.

nowai

You know, I've just been playing RAGE on standard default settings, no tweaks, no detail textures on, and it's still a good looking game that runs 60fps locked on my 580. I mean the textures could definitely be sharper up close, but the overall image is very nice looking and impressive and everything is so smooth.

If you're playing on stock settings with a GTX580, you really owe it to yourself to create this very simple easy cfg file.

http://www.geforce.com/News/article...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

PowerK

I'm pretty sure that cfg isn't necessary anymore. They enabled a lot of that stuff through the in game settings.

Correct. Since the first patch, those manual cfg isn't necessary anymore.
Texture Cache = high (for 8k textures)
GPU transcode = enabled
Anisotrpic filter = high.

Done.

PnCIa

I'm all for bicubic scaling and the adaptive sharpening filter does have its merits but its the added grain that makes the effect fall apart for me.
Actually you can adjust the amount of grain through this cvar: vt_upsampleNoise :)
Default is 8, personaly i prefer something between 1 and 4.

It sounds like VRAM limitation issue. Can you run GPU-Z in the background while playing Rage. Spin around in Wellspring, and Wasteland.. after that see the maximum VRAM usage history.

could well be a vram issue. i'm rocking 3 gigs of vram. my cpu is a Core Duo Extreme Q6850 at 3.15 Ghz. nothing special for a quad core. i have no such issues out in the wasteland.

not that i'll be using it though. i hate ringing.

Bebpo

Banned
Correct. Since the first patch, those manual cfg isn't necessary anymore.
Texture Cache = high (for 8k textures)
GPU transcode = enabled
Anisotrpic filter = high.

Done.

Yeah, I did the cfg but it looked the exact same. Probably explains why the game has looked good stock to me. I've never seen the blurry mess that is those 4k texture shots.

Are the console versions mainly 4k textures? If so I can see why the graphics were bashed since most people play the console versions.

54-46!

Anyone else having problems with the lens flare popping in and out in places where it shouldn't be visible? really annoying.

I've got a 4890, latest drivers.

@ID_AA_Carmack Will you release the oft-mentioned higher-resolution texture data?

@DesignerDon our first test of a higher res page file didn't help much, because most source textures didn't actually have any more detail.

WUT?!

A follow up; Carmack has confirmed a HD texture pack isn't coming:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/185754269717250048

@stewox1 there won't be a super quality texture pack. Most of the source art isn't at higher resolution, and comp effects weren't that bad.

Loxley

Is there any history of people suffering from extreme slow-down/fram-rate loss during the vehicle sequences? Whether its a race or just traveling from one area of the map to another, my fps drops to 10-20 from the normal 60+. Nowhere else in the game do I experience this kind of slow-down.

I'm playing on a laptop with an NVIDIA 560m, and a Core i7 2330 CPU with 16 GB of RAM.

Is there any history of people suffering from extreme slow-down/fram-rate loss during the vehicle sequences? Whether its a race or just traveling from one area of the map to another, my fps drops to 10-20 from the normal 60+. Nowhere else in the game do I experience this kind of slow-down.

I'm playing on a laptop with an NVIDIA 560m, and a Core i7 2330 CPU with 16 GB of RAM.

Does the slowdown stop after about 5-6 seconds? Because that is what I had and turning the cache down cleared that right up for me. This was on GTX560 in SLI, i7 2600 and 8gb of ram

JoeFenix

Man, RAGE looks cool but it runs like shit on my rig... It seems to be a texture caching issue but everything I've tried makes no difference so far. The game will run at 60 fps no problem until it needs to swap some textures and then it will just drop to 30 fps until it's done caching.

Basicaly makes the game unplayable, the GPU transcoding option doesn't work on SLI cards apparently. Im running a i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz, 16 gb of ram and a GTX 690.

If anyone has any idea how to fix the issue please share, this is really lame because the game looks pretty damn good when it runs at 60fps!

Bog

Junior Ace
Man, RAGE looks cool but it runs like shit on my rig... It seems to be a texture caching issue but everything I've tried makes no difference so far. The game will run at 60 fps no problem until it needs to swap some textures and then it will just drop to 30 fps until it's done caching.

Basicaly makes the game unplayable, the GPU transcoding option doesn't work on SLI cards apparently. Im running a i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz, 16 gb of ram and a GTX 690.

If anyone has any idea how to fix the issue please share, this is really lame because the game looks pretty damn good when it runs at 60fps!

Hah, your rig is absolutely filthy yet the game runs like crap... I think they owe you your money back. Anyway, I have a 6970 and can't turn GPU Transcode on either. Also getting tons of screen tearing even with vsync turned on. Any thoughts, guys?

Prodigal

Banned
So I was able to enable the 8192 textures at launch but now it doesn't seem to be working...not sure what changed, maybe a patch screwed something up?

JoeFenix

Hah, your rig is absolutely filthy yet the game runs like crap... I think they owe you your money back. Anyway, I have a 6970 and can't turn GPU Transcode on either. Also getting tons of screen tearing even with vsync turned on. Any thoughts, guys?

I got it to work flawlessly, I created a custom config file to enable the gpu transcoding. Get 60 fps constant at 2560x1440 4xAA and everything on.

Pretty fun game, nothing amazing but some has a nice oldschool feel to it that I like!

I got it to work flawlessly, I created a custom config file to enable the gpu transcoding. Get 60 fps constant at 2560x1440 4xAA and everything on.

Pretty fun game, nothing amazing but some has a nice oldschool feel to it that I like!

Got a link to where you found the custom config file? I have the same issue. Its either that or turn down the caching via options and not have it look as good to get a playable FPS.

jujubeads

has there been any word on if/when another patch is due? the game desperately needs one if my experiences with it are any indication.

s_mirage

has there been any word on if/when another patch is due? the game desperately needs one if my experiences with it are any indication.

I wouldn't hold your breath to be honest. The last patch was about six months ago, with no news since, so I wouldn't count on getting another one unless this vapourware DLC actually shows up. What problems are you having anyway?

jujubeads

the game will sometimes be locked at 1 fps on level load, and sometimes it goes away after a minute or two, but when it doesnt im out of luck. no amount of waiting, alt+tabbing, reloading, or even restarting helps. reducing the texture resolution fixes it, but then i get the issue where textures constantly reload. other times the exact same level can run beautifully with everything maxed out.

aside from that im also getting crashes, though infrequent. and whenever i get on a vehicle the framerate takes a dive, no matter how well the game was running a second ago.

but for those brief moments where im not having any issues the game is really quite a lot of fun, which makes these issues all the more frustrating. if the game was shitty i could just give up and move on, but its not. its awesome. at least the bits ive played of it.

Liamario

Banned
GPU Radeon HD 7850
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
RAM 8GB
Windows 7 64-bit

Now, can someone please explain to me why this game runs like ass with a PC of these specs. Micro-stuttering, pop-up etc.
Dropping anti aliasing etc... makes zero difference.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
GPU Radeon HD 7850
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
RAM 8GB
Windows 7 64-bit

Now, can someone please explain to me why this game runs like ass with a PC of these specs. Micro-stuttering, pop-up etc.
Dropping anti aliasing etc... makes zero difference.

The game runs like dogshit on ATI cards. Most OpenGL games do for that matter.

rossonero

I got this game during the Steam Autumn Sale and it ran beautifully on my GTX 460. However I changed my 460 to a 5870 and the performance is awful now. The only way I could run the game with the 5870 as good as with the 460 is if I put everything on low or off in settings, but then it looks awful compared to the 460 and the texture popup is irritating.

I thought AMD had fixed it's drivers for Rage? The bad performance and the texture popup is annoying considering how well the 5870 handles games like Witcher 2, Batman AC, Saints Row 3 and Metro 2033.

Minsc

Gold Member
I got this game during the Steam Autumn Sale and it ran beautifully on my GTX 460. However I changed my 460 to a 5870 and the performance is awful now. The only way I could run the game with the 5870 as good as with the 460 is if I put everything on low or off in settings, but then it looks awful compared to the 460 and the texture popup is irritating.

I thought AMD had fixed it's drivers for Rage? The bad performance and the texture popup is annoying considering how well the 5870 handles games like Witcher 2, Batman AC, Saints Row 3 and Metro 2033.

Seems like a strange upgrade unless you got a crazy deal on the 5870, especially given how AMD drivers are generally received. Regardless, I finished the game on my 5870 with everything maxed (and edited the .ini as well to optimize and increase texture quality further) no issues, 60fps throughout with no drops. Still not enough to make up for the driving for trophies portion of the game.

rossonero

Seems like a strange upgrade unless you got a crazy deal on the 5870, especially given how AMD drivers are generally received. Regardless, I finished the game on my 5870 with everything maxed (and edited the .ini as well to optimize and increase texture quality further) no issues, 60fps throughout with no drops. Still not enough to make up for the driving for trophies portion of the game.

Yeah, my brother's 8800 GTS went bust and he needed something to bode him over until he upgrades his whole pc in the spring so I gave him my 460 and I got the 5870 for free from a friend.

I thought that AMD´s drivers have gotten better, so was really surprised by the performance. I've googled and found that many people have gotten great performance with their AMD cards so I guess I'll scour this thread to find the optimizations and the .ini-editing I have to do to get a high fps while not making the game look like poo.

Syringe

I thought that AMD´s drivers have gotten better, so was really surprised by the performance.
They have actually, but starting from this year with Southern Island series. I've actually had less problems with AMD than Nvidia 2012 (mainly with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Hitman: Absolution), and I'm using both brands frequently.

Grief.exe

Here

What??

Do you happen to have a source on an explanation to why it doesn't support SLI, and I'm assuming crossfire as well.

[quote name='Blaire' date='22 November 2011 - 11:33 AM' timestamp='1321990421' post='1331098']

Currently unfortunately no SLI is possible, leading to Errors, this is the reason why it is disabled in the Driver.

AFR was not supported by RAGE, so we disabled SLI for this game.
NVIDIA Forums Technical Advisor

Wow what a complete disaster, thanks for the link.

Definition for AFR if anyone is interested: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1552

I'm curious, at the end of the day what are the recomended tweaks for ATI users?

After all this time wanted to know if the issues were resolved somewhat.

Top Bottom