• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege updates system to handle toxic players

Jex

The regulation of multiplayer gaming seems pretty difficult to handle. I'm not sure if this will strike the right balance.

BANGS

Banned
God you are special.
Not as special as you think...

So your point is that you would rather pay for other games than siege solely for the fact that you could use racial and homophobic slurs in them. Am I understanding this right? Because that's what they are banning people for and you have the biggest issue with it.
Not solely, that would be silly. But it would certainly be a big factor to know whether or not I could get banned for saying things, especially harmless things. What if I jokingly call my friend some sort of slur and another player overhears it? People can perceive things differently, and my casual conversation may be someone else's blasphemous violent hate speech. Case in point, see below...

I think we found our racist.
When you're on a witch hunt, you're gonna find a witch whether one exists or not...

Not solely, that would be silly. But it would certainly be a big factor to know whether or not I could get banned for saying things, especially harmless things. What if I jokingly call my friend some sort of slur and another player overhears it? People can perceive things differently, and my casual conversation may be someone else's blasphemous violent hate speech. Case in point, see below...
This was already in place. In the ToS, this was already a no-no. It's not a new thing.

BANGS

Banned
I would think this is in most CoC's. Both on a system level (PSN) and individual game.
Perhaps. It's a real shame, people getting banned for dumb shit. Part of the reason I don't get too invested in online multiplayer games. Ban hammers swing down on false pretenses all the time...

Perhaps. It's a real shame, people getting banned for dumb shit. Part of the reason I don't get too invested in online multiplayer games. Ban hammers swing down on false pretenses all the time...
Whats new about this is they are giving telling us the levels on discipline. And they are announcing who is being banned. Before if you submitted via video, you had no way of knowing if action took place.

This is for the text chat on PC. And it's only a retooled way they monitor to be more efficient on their part. But these are not new rules. These rules were agreed to by every player when they first started playing.

On voice chat, you can only talk to your team mates But PC text chat is seen by all 10 members of a match. And they are going to be more efficient in their monitoring of that.

And it's not that calling someone a Mother F@cker led to this. It is the relentless harassing that people deal with for an entire match. I'll try and find an example and post.

Wilhams

Neo Member
By the way the developers have the right to create an environment they deem respectable the problem is that the ToS says that harassment and abuse are also bannable. So when you play a ranked game and type an error that a fellow teammate made, That can without a doubt be deemed as harassment and abuse. That's what people are upset about. Now individuals who get mad at banning hate speech and racial slurs are playing devils advocate. For me free speech is the best speech but developers have the right to do whatever to their games. Slippery slope when you add legit criticism or not so legit criticism in the pool of bannable speech when hate speech, abuse, and harassment can be subjective in a lot of instances. For example Colleges went through this and now in some colleges they will outright expel you if you state facts that can be "deemed" as hate speech.

Here's an example. Not a great video imo because the video is titled Toxic but most of the video isn't featuring the issue. So I started when it started. He eventually just turned off the text chat.

Iorv3th

They really dont though. Like the players that always say they don't cheat in CS:GO when they get banned, but sure enough they did. There are very rare cases of false positives and those bans are always reversed and fixed.

daibaron

Banned
Why not apply Ubisofts system on the radio? I know i can turn off the radio or use my own cds, but i am entitled to my safe space inside my car at least no?

Should Ubisoft ban sexual innuendo and flirting? I should be able to play online without having people hitting on me or flirting no?

Why not apply Ubisofts system on the radio? I know i can turn off the radio or use my own cds, but i am entitled to my safe space inside my car at least no?

Should Ubisoft ban sexual innuendo and flirting? I should be able to play online without having people hitting on me or flirting no?
No, none of those interest me, but I am suddenly deeply intrigued by some theoretical automated low-quality bait filter.

I'm genuinely surprised they weren't doing this sort of thing already. Personally I haven't run into too much toxic hateful text speech in Siege, but that's because I run into so much actual cheating that I barely bother with the game at all.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder which of you in this thread that are railing about this will eventually make a thread lamenting the fact that people are always in party chat or using their own private discord channel.

https://knowtechie.com/harrassment-off-twitch-can-lead-to-the-ban-hammer/

Well it looks as though more and more are starting to crack down on the morons out there who think it's ok to harass others. Maybe we can both agree that stupid shit online isn't really that offensive but harassment/threats and racism should not be tolerated.

Last edited:

daibaron

Banned
No, none of those interest me, but I am suddenly deeply intrigued by some theoretical automated low-quality bait filter.

I'm genuinely surprised they weren't doing this sort of thing already. Personally I haven't run into too much toxic hateful text speech in Siege, but that's because I run into so much actual cheating that I barely bother with the game at all.

Add to that regular "non toxic" stupid speech, children speech and you are not left with much. Now add also rage quitting, dropped connections. And microtransactions too!

Not as special as you think...

To be honest , and no offense, I don't think you are old enough for the Siege rating. I simply can't picture someone of age using slurs "jokingly" and making this big of a deal about racism and toxicity being banned in this game. Maybe Ubi should crack down on the age rating too.

BANGS

Banned
I simply can't picture someone of age using slurs "jokingly"
Well we do, quite often actually...

https://knowtechie.com/harrassment-off-twitch-can-lead-to-the-ban-hammer/

Well it looks as though more and more are starting to crack down on the morons out there who think it's ok to harass others. Maybe we can both agree that stupid shit online isn't really that offensive but harassment/threats and racism should not be tolerated.
Harassment of any sort should not be tolerated, regardless of racism or whatever. If someone is harassing someone else, then I have no sympathy for their ban. I'm just worried about it getting to a point that if I do something harmless, it will be called harassment and get me banned. Like the example I gave before, or even other things like teabagging or making jokes...

Top Bottom