• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ransomware group claims to have breached Sony

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Ransomware group Ransomed.vc claims to have successfully breached SonyGroup and is threatening to sell a cache of data stolen from the Japanese company.

While its claims remain unverified, Cyber Security Connect reports that the relative ransomware newcomer “has racked up an impressive amount of victims” since bursting onto the scene last month.

“We have successfully compromissed [sic] all of sony systems,” the group claimed on both the clear and dark nets. “We won’t ransom them! We will sell the data. Due to Sony not wanting to pay. DATA IS FOR SALE.”

Topher

Gold Member
Kristin Chenoweth Oh Snap GIF by Team Coco

Who wants to chip in with me? I got $50.

Brings back memories of the incident they had a number of years ago. They had to shut down PSN for a month.

Hope this is fake though, I could do without my email address and other personal data being made available to some bottom feeding cunt.

Sony will announce something within the next couple days if this is the case. Oh and that shit about not paying. Never pay these idiots, the damage is already done.

Spiderman will save the day and capture those miscreants.
I've got over 80 bucks sitting in the PS store. Need to go ahead and buy Spiderman 2 before the money disapprears.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
Ransom only takes place if they blackmail Sony into paying them for the return of the stolen data. If they sell the data on the black market to anyone willing to pay, it's just theft.
They said due to Sony, the owner of the data, not willing to pay, they will sell the data on the market - that is literally your first sentence.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Brings back memories of the incident they had a number of years ago. They had to shut down PSN for a month.

Hope this is fake though, I could do without my email address and other personal data being made available to some bottom feeding cunt.

Sony will announce something within the next couple days if this is the case. Oh and that shit about not paying. Never pay these idiots, the damage is already done.

Yeah, as much as I like a good leak, I don’t like to celebrate this stuff either.

This is why there’s unfortunately no surprises anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Sony doesn't want to pay, probably mean the info they stole isnt that important.

If someone stole the formula for Coke, pretty sure they'd look into quietly paying them off.

(Food and recipe lists cannot be protected)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Big companies try to keep this info a secret because it causes panic.

I’m curious to what happen. Ransomware locks your files with encryption. Meaning, Sony must have had some good backups if they’re up and running now?

If hackers hacked my Xbox account, have fun there's no CC attached to it. I've only uploaded dollar card points. So if they want to steal the $30 still on it go ahead. lol. My account doesn't even use my real name or birthday or location.
Hmm... now that I'm thinking I have my paypal attached to my Xbox/MS account, but I trust MS better with security than Sony or Nintendo. Plus the paypal account is not linked directly with my bank account so even if they somehow manage to hack that one (have 2FA on both my MS and PayPal account), they'll do minimal damage on my wallet lol.

GHG

I'll change my password just in case but I'm in for some free games if they're going to be going.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They already have the back-end of those 'free games for new PS5 owners', might as well just open access to everyone in advance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hmm... now that I'm thinking I have my paypal attached to my Xbox/MS account, but I trust MS better with security than Sony or Nintendo. Plus the paypal account is not linked directly with my bank account so even if they somehow manage to hack that one (have 2FA on both my MS and PayPal account), they'll do minimal damage on my wallet lol.
I've never attached a payment card or so to my Xbox account. I just buy pts. More secure. And you even save a bit of money. Costco sells $50 cards for $45. So every once in a while I buy $100 worth for $90.

Last edited:
Top Bottom