• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ransomware group claims to have breached Sony

Kilau

What does that have to do with their actions in this specific case? I'm guessing you think Golden Coral is a coral reef made of gold and not a family diner?
That’s because it’s called Golden Corral

069e179e-f8ce-430a-8e4f-99897aade442_text.gif

Could do it just to be safe and not have to keep an eye on anything.
You could do, I’m not sure how Sony store card information on their systems, but if the breach contained everything (as they so eloquently put it) they may already have access to that information by exporting it (lots of different factors here though). Deleting it just takes it off of Sonys system when the damage could already potentially be done.

You could cancel the card though which would remove any financial risk. Though we aren’t sure any of this is real.

Unless you work for Sony it’s impossible to know. If you’ll still be using your card to make purchases on PSN, I’d recommend enabling 2FA and changing your password (especially if it’s one being used elsewhere).

simpatico

Wonder if it's the same guys who did Vegas a couple weeks ago. Caesars paid before it even hit the news. MGM did not and got fucked for an entire weekend. You gotta pay if you couldn't keep them out in the first place. Otherwise it only hurts your customers. If you wanna have principle, have it before it happens and bolster your security.

Fredrik

You could cancel the card though which would remove any financial risk.
Yeah could make things a little bit better. Sony have your whole identity unless you have used fake data; full name, adress, age, credit card, email, possibly saved passwords, etc. But I assume the hackers are more interested in selling industry secrets and research data and plans.

simpatico

I just want them to open source all the Cell optimizations Naughty Dog and Insomniac have been working on in the basement.

This feels so amateurish haha. Either way, changed my passwords a little earlier than my 3 months policy. We never know, even if this data breach seems bullshit. So better be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jokes aside, this kind of stuff fucking sucks. Nobody wins, except possibly the dickhead hackers. Selfish pieces of shit.

Please leak the title and estimated dates for any/all Naughty Dog titles.

They are my favourite Dev but fuck me they are taking the piss with their lack of games or announcements

poodaddy

So, what exactly will this affect as far as the user? Should I change anything? I don't think my payment information on PSN is actually current, so I'm unsure how much of an issue this is for me. Should I change passwords anyway?

Well this explained why for the past week every time I tried logging into my PSN account for purchases, I would get the stupid "Protecting your account. Please solve this puzzle so we know you are a real person" crap that has 10-steps, and another 10 steps even if you get all the first 10s correct in order to log-in. After 3 times in 3 days I just give up on buying from my laptop and just go straight to my consoles.

peish

Well this explained why for the past week every time I tried logging into my PSN account for purchases, I would get the stupid "Protecting your account. Please solve this puzzle so we know you are a real person" crap that has 10-steps, and another 10 steps even if you get all the first 10s correct in order to log-in. After 3 times in 3 days I just give up on buying from my laptop and just go straight to my consoles.

I thought this captcha was always around?

thanks the Jim ryans for increasing ps+ prices, i had removed by credit card last month. :pie_sfwth:

cireza

Happy I don't have any data remaining in their system. Having my credit card details leaked on the web once was enough, as far as I am concerned.

You could do, I’m not sure how Sony store card information on their systems, but if the breach contained everything (as they so eloquently put it) they may already have access to that information by exporting it (lots of different factors here though). Deleting it just takes it off of Sonys system when the damage could already potentially be done.

You could cancel the card though which would remove any financial risk. Though we aren’t sure any of this is real.

Unless you work for Sony it’s impossible to know. If you’ll still be using your card to make purchases on PSN, I’d recommend enabling 2FA and changing your password (especially if it’s one being used elsewhere).
There's nothing we can do.
It's too late to remove cards now.

IF this is real and they will do something, we are already fucked.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Surely Sony doesn't keep CC info in plain text after what happened last time. It's gotta be properly encrypted.

I have my CC on there I think, but if anything happens I will just contest those charges.

Top Bottom