• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ransomware group claims to have breached Sony

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Cybersecurity nerd here. This isn't a ransomware attack at all, which is confusing because "ransomware" is listed so many times in the article. This is an alleged data breach with blackmail involved, which is fine, but distinctly different. And who the fuck knows if they have anything? could just be outdated information, or a small amount of code.

lol here we go. at the bare minimum they should force load a homebrew app for the 60fps bloodborne on the ps5 😎 forget the free crappy 2 game award 😂

Nankatsu

Gold Member
We won’t ransom them! We will sell the data.

Microsoft right now:

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Goliath77

I have one cc on file, but have 2fa and have just changed my password. Is that enough? Sony will have to declare it if legit right?

Drew1440

Brings back memories of the incident they had a number of years ago. They had to shut down PSN for a month.

Hope this is fake though, I could do without my email address and other personal data being made available to some bottom feeding cunt.

Sony will announce something within the next couple days if this is the case. Oh and that shit about not paying. Never pay these idiots, the damage is already done.
Ah the LulzSec hacks of 2011, managed to get Infamous and Wipeout HD as free games.

StueyDuck

Lol "Sonys data is for sale come get"

*fbi in the bushes waiting for the suitcase drop

Like anyone is going to be stupid enough to do that 🤣, although I see some rich crypto console warrior being dumb enough to put their name behind a deal like that 🤣.

“We won’t ransom them! We will sell the data. Due to Sony not wanting to pay. DATA IS FOR SALE.”

200w.gif

This got me hard. :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

skit_data

I transfer money manually to the account tied to my card number for every single purchase down to a pack of chewing gums so GLHF using that.

But this is a problem of course, lets hope it's nothing major in terms of personal data etc.

Not great for Sony but hey maybe consumers will finally get an idea on games Sony plan to release in 2024 and beyond. Because man we have no information on anything at the minute.

Then again they probably got all our personal data too but that is what it is.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Wonder if Microsoft was involved 🤔.....

Being legit here; don't put anything past this company anymore when it comes to shady ops against competitors. They hired Florian Mueller aka SoloKingRobert. Got ValueAct trying to buy MS mindshare in Nintendo's BoD.

Funding these sorts of people for data breaches would be part of their M.O.
I used to be a part of Microsoft's Lunch Ops and I can tell you that the company is fully capable of stuff like this.

Last edited:
Make sure you have your two Factor authentication turned on just to be safe.

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Got some unexpected login attempts on my PSN ~1 month ago. 2FA stop them.
Changed password immediately.

Last edited:
If this is true, then people ought to change their change their passwords as a bare minimum. Makes me wonder how they breached them. Sony should've been fortified rigorously since the 2011 breach.
It could take Sony's CERT/DFIR weeks to find any remnants/IOCs of a breach. Especially, if the assholes wiped every trace behind them. They got a shit load of data to gather.

Sometimes these statements made by malicious hackers can act as false flags or a smokescreen.

Last edited:
Ransom only takes place if they blackmail Sony into paying them for the return of the stolen data. If they sell the data on the black market to anyone willing to pay, it's just theft.

IF the data is encryoted, something given in ransomware attacks, then the data is already been kidnapped and can be freed or unencrypted only by those with the proper keys.

Then companies can face double, triple or quadruple extortion from ransomware gangs.

Robb

Gold Member
Someone purchase the list of upcoming PS-studios games and Ps6 plans, please. Then post it on GAF.

I'm nobody

Cybersecurity nerd here. This isn't a ransomware attack at all, which is confusing because "ransomware" is listed so many times in the article. This is an alleged data breach with blackmail involved, which is fine, but distinctly different. And who the fuck knows if they have anything? could just be outdated information, or a small amount of code.
6000 files is very small for Sony

Claiming "all" of Sony's systems seems like a stretch to me. That's a lot of data spread out across a huge variety of businesses and network systems.
Its not impossible. Cyber attacks are getting pretty sophisticated. Latest trend is getting/"sneaking" through legitimate tools and software as a pipe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom