• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ransomware group claims to have breached Sony

T-0800

Part of the principle of some hackers is to test vulnerabilities and get them patched up, so that more nefarious entities dont do more serious damage. Ideally nobody would steal and we wouldnt have to lock our doors, but security exists for a reason and its constantly evolving with technology.

As for myself, Im keeping all my info intact so that if it gets comprimised I can back trace the culprit and do a reverse ransom on them. Even revealing more of my plans might scare them away.. so gotta keep secrets. Always the Spy vs Spy scenarios

How about I throw bricks through your windows. After all I just want you to know how unsafe you really are.

How about I throw bricks through your windows. After all I just want you to know how unsafe you really are.
Sounds like an exuse for blatant vandalism! If those windows never got repaired or reinforced, (or the crime never reported) then that would lead to further destruction and decay. Gotta maintain the facade!

Barakov

So it was MicroSoft! Fuck you, Major Nelson!
:messenger_beaming:
XkjNjP4.jpg

nowhat

No, there has been a second ransomware attack but that one specifically targeted employee information.
I've yet to see any evidence that this is a ransomware attack, at least how the term is traditionally understood. Ransonware encrypts the users files, and unless you pay up (there's no guarantee you'll get the decryption key though) you're basically fucked if strong enough encryption is used. Many US hospitals for example have been victims of such attacks, and ended up paying the ransom, because as stated, otherwise you're fucked.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've yet to see any evidence that this is a ransomware attack, at least how the term is traditionally understood. Ransonware encrypts the users files, and unless you pay up (there's no guarantee you'll get the decryption key though) you're basically fucked if strong enough encryption is used. Many US hospitals for example have been victims of such attacks, and ended up paying the ransom, because as stated, otherwise you're fucked.
I don't claim to know how randomsares work but that's what the second attack has been reported as, at least.

nowhat

I don't claim to know how randomsares work but that's what the second attack has been reported as, at least.

Yeah, DDoS attacks are also commonly called "hacking" in the media, but the truth is, anyone with a (stolen) credit card can rent out a botnet with no technical skills (or hacking) required.

In this case, what has been reported is that the group has asked Sony for money, or alternatively they'd sell the data online to the highest bidder. Which would be a ransom, yes. But actual ransomware would be encrypting data on Sony's servers, and thus far what I've been able to parse about the MOVEit vulnerability, it doesn't allow remote system access to vulnerable systems, at least with sufficient privileges. The vulnerability does/did (I sure hope those affected will have updated their systems by now) allow unauthorized remote access to certain files though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

As if anyone would give Sony their CC details after the last fiasco. Hackers probably extremely disappointed with the amount of accounts they got funded with top-up cards only. :messenger_beaming:

wolffy66

At this point I'm just gonna assume that this isn't a big deal. Sony can't have data left that hasn't already been stolen at least once.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
As if anyone would give Sony their CC details after the last fiasco. Hackers probably extremely disappointed with the amount of accounts they got funded with top-up cards only. :messenger_beaming:

There’s always people starting to play on new console every year

Top Bottom