• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rant: Sony, no more gifs

Crayon

They are useful reaction gifs. So as some easy marketing, it kinda like giving out branded pens when you think about it. Except you can lose pens. So it's better.

Swift_Star

Banned
Shut your dirty mouth!
God Of War Dog GIF by PlayStation
This one is amazing

drganon

The opposite, 20smth blue hairs aren't posting gifs of decade old memes, they are on tik tok or watching streamers. This is more so humor from a 35-40 year old who was 20smth in 2012 trying to recreate that era...which is fine if its organic, but when a cooperation leads a push to be funny it never works out. Xbox fails at it often too with their "lets be relatable" twitter post.
stripes-francis-francis.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The opposite, 20smth blue hairs aren't posting gifs of decade old memes, they are on tik tok or watching streamers. This is more so humor from a 35-40 year old who was 20smth in 2012 trying to recreate that era...which is fine if its organic, but when a cooperation leads a push to be funny it never works out. Xbox fails at it often too with their "lets be relatable" twitter post.
Maybe. All the devs I’ve seen on Twitter seem to be on their 20s and somehow already in lead designer positions at these studios.

Dokku

Millenias of evolution and competition have taken us from simple single celled organisms into complex multiorgan beings with brains formed of billion of interconnected cells capable of incredible feats.

And yet here we find ourselves getting upset over gifs.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Couldn't agree more.

That half of this board finds them hilarious and posts them in this thread as a "backfire" makes me embarrassed.

This board skews toward 30 and 40-year-olds, and it's obvious that this is a bunch of guys closing in on 50 who don't get the absolute cringe of posting overused GIFs that are created to cater to Fortnite teenagers on Twitter.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's true though.
Even Okay Boomer originated from the late 2000's
And you got Gen Z saying it to Millennials & Gen X....🤔
And Bruh is from the early 2000's too and you got people saying it now like they just discovered it.
The new generations have no identity of their own.
Other then being sensitive little bitches and entitled.

Last edited:
Another reason why the first few ones were fun, is because none of them are even remotely as good as the originals, so the bit of videogame jank added to it; now they are just trying to remake every gif in existence and they just look like shit.

These meme gifs that Sony obviously tells their studios to do arent cool. It's comes off as 40 something executives having their developers make gifs to appeal to "the youth" and completely misses the mark. At most you'll get mid late 30smth facebook dads sharing it but yea, they aren't cool.

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

God Of War Perfection GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Excite Parks And Recreation GIF by Naughty Dog

Happy The Last Of Us GIF by PlayStation

The Last Of Us Headbang GIF by PlayStation
I think they're pretty nerdy and I haven't used them. But I don't hate it or anything. Kind of funny that the studios put in the time for it. It's a little unique thing they do. I don't see any harm.

Aaron Olive

Couldn't agree more.

That half of this board finds them hilarious and posts them in this thread as a "backfire" makes me embarrassed.

This board skews toward 30 and 40-year-olds, and it's obvious that this is a bunch of guys closing in on 50 who don't get the absolute cringe of posting overused GIFs that are created to cater to Fortnite teenagers on Twitter.
5fdda3e6c74fe0c7b5f2a9304d8bc1d38581744a.gif

tumblr_mogp6orfZ61rkyjwho3_250.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom