• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank 3 Retrospective - Up Your Arsenal!

RK128

250px-Ratchetandclank3box.jpg

This game is one of my 3 games of all time, right behind Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask and Sonic Generations. Have to say this right away, as this will be a biased thread with me just gushing over how amazing this game is, so if you are not a big fan, I'm sorry if I might gloss over issues you may have with the game.

Okay, so now that little preface is out of the way, this game is part of the Ratchet and Clank Retrospective and man, this is THE best game in the series for me.

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

Like Ratchet 2, development on this title started not long after Ratchet 2 went gold and most of Insomniac moved on to the next project, Ratchet 3. I remember reading the Game Informer issue covering this and Jak 3 when I was little; ah, the days of reading good ol' gaming magazines......such great times.

250px-Game_Informer_logo_(2010-present).png

Anyway, Insomniac commented on wanting the weapons to have more RPG like elements (citing the Infector weapons, with it being able to poison foes and have them attack others) and make things more streamlined from Ratchet 2.

More weapon wheels, more weapons, small little things (like full-ammo refills at weapon vendors) and ensuring that the new elements they wanted to bring into the series fit.

They also wanted to bring some of the tension between Ratchet & Clank back that was in the first game, with them citing making Clank the 'star' of his own show being something Ratchet was annoyed by. Not to mention bring in a new villain for the duo to fight. The last addition was online and local multiplayer, with that being a big thing they highlighted on. With the amount of weapons in the series, an online shooter was a good move I feel.....and this gets further expanded upon with a game after Ratchet 3.

ratchet-and-clank-up-your-arsenal-20040809110931687.jpg

Insomniac were saying all the right things and when the game finally hit in Fall 2004 and.......it was perfect. Very few critics gave it under a 9 and many called this one of the greatest platformers of all time. Critics even commented on Ratchet Dreadlock/Gladiator, where they said 'How can they top perfection?' when reviewing the game.

The story in this game.....where do I even begin!

It starts out with Clank and Ratchet playing halo-chess and Clank sees his own TV show going on, 'Secret Agent Clank'. He is a James Bond-like hero in the show and Ratchet is his butler. Ratchet turns the TV off after a bit, annoyed with the show, as Clank is a bit puzzled.

latest

Then they hear a distress call from Ratchet's homeworld; Velden. Ratchet is ready to go and Clank soon follows, with both fighting off a new force, aliens called the Teranoids. Ratchet and Clank soon learn that a old super villain from the past is back and wants to turn all 'Squishes' into Robots.

Ratchet and Clank planet hop across the galaxy with members of Starship Phenox providing support along the way.

This story.....is amazing. Love the dynamic between Ratchet & Clank as they are really close buddies now; they bounce off each other perfectly and are in-sync with each other. Ratchet shows a lot of concern over Clank with a later scene showing how sorry he is for not realizing something sooner or how Clank cracks more jokes this time out.

tumblr_inline_n7r4uxaHRP1sw6u2j.gif

Both shine here and I love how great the voice acting both offer is spot on. This extends to everybody, and I love how Quark sounds in this game. The VA really got him this time and its great seeing his character grow a lot. In past games, he was just a 'hero'....but here, he honestly tries to be a hero.

One thing I love is the humor here, as its the best in the entire series. From the nods to reality outside the game, the video previews before you head into new planets, Dr. Nefarious himself, the entire game is a trip. I laughed my head off at almost every scene in the game and I played through it well over 20+ times.

tumblr_mmtg15zpf51rlm74no1_400.gif

Overall, fantastic story and one that really makes the game shine.

So, with the gameplay, how do you top Ratchet 2? I mean, that game established new ground rules for the series and it was very close to perfect. Well, this game IS perfect. Literally every single element from Ratchet 2 that was either a bit annoying or just a small problem, is gone.

You have multiple weapon wheels, so you can equip your entire line up of guns without ever going into the main menu (you can even set up control options with the weapon wheel). You have an ammo refill option for all your guns at the weapons vendors. The x2 ability that you have in Challenge Mode is now a crate you can smash early in the game to get double the bolts for a limited amount of time. Weapon upgrades are more streamlined with no upgrade mods; they just get better the more you use them.

latest

And the more annoying issues people had with the extra gameplay styles like flying and racing? They are gone now, replaced with really great 2D platforming levels with Quark that really should be their own game with how fun they are, pushing the gunplay more with base missions, and giving Clank a more advanced AI partner to work within him during his sections of the game.

rac_03_05_map.jpg

This entire game feels like Insomniac knew they had gold with Ratchet 2 and said "That's good.....but what else can we do here?" and that shows in spades. Gameplay wise, this is perfect to me.

But instead of saying "Its Perfect" and "I love this game" and closing the thread now, lets talk about three things; the base missions, the weapons and the 2D Quark levels.

jvrRq6.gif

The Base missions take the platformer that Ratchet 2 was, and turns it into more of a shooter. What I mean, is that the game is still a platformer at heart, but during these portions of the game, it turns into what I call a shooting game with platforming elements.

ratchet__clank_up_your_arsenal_image24.gif

You still run and jump, but the focus is smart combat and completing specific missions in each area. Defend X amount of troops, blow up X amount of bases, turn X amount of Bolt Cranks, ect. These are so fun thanks to the great gun play controls, having the ability to control the game as a FPS or as a TPS and even having the ability to hop into three things (buggy, powerful flying carrier, and turret). Love these stages and these are further expanded upon with Dreadlock/Gladiator in the future.

The weapons here though, are my favorite line up in the series. Just going to list the different guns you can get and then I will move on:
-Lava gun that shots hot magma and when fully upgraded, can freeze people
-Suck Cannon that can pull in boxes and smaller foes, and shoot them back. When upgraded fully, it can shoot flaming versions of foes/creates you pick up
-Black Hole gun that can pull in a lot of foes at once
-Gun that launches a bomb that explodes into smaller bombs
-A gun that turns you foes into flying ducks. When fully upgraded, it can create an army of flaming ducks that home-in into your foes when flying over them.
-Infector weapon that poisons your foes and makes them attack other foes when infected.
-Lava Whip that when upgraded can shoot a stream of energy at people
-RYNO III that shoots PASMA blasts that kills everything it touches

..........Amazing stuff, isn't it? Greatest weapon selection in any game and while future games have great line ups of weapons, love this line-up a lot personally.

And the last gameplay bit is Quark himself; he gets five (six if you count the secret one) 2D platforming stages that are a mix of running, gunning and platforming. They play with mechanics in the main game (wall jumping, jumping, shooting various weapons) but are a blast. The level designs are really well done and I love how great Quark controls here. Great set of levels and a fun way to mix up long shooting sessions.

latest

If Ratchet 1 was a more moody take on Spyro but in Space & Ratchet 2 was a mixture of more serious alien locations but with a light touch at points, Ratchet 3 is the action movie to the series.

ratchet-and-clank-up-your-arsenal-20041102025131208.jpg

You have more serious locations with torn up planets but you still get a lot of color. The world is amazing looking and really pushed the engine the PS2 games ran on. Particularly love the animation, as the cut-scenes and gameplay really show how lively the characters are animated.

tumblr_nag0gyWbiU1tejnkbo3_500.gif

The music though, one of my favorite soundtracks in the series. Again, pushing for that action movie tone that the visuals try to do but man is it effective.

Veldin - Kyzil Plateau: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNFDql4lCc8&index=2&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A&nohtml5=False
Florana - Nabla Forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5yGeefWI4I&index=5&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A
Starship Phoenix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFsaOCKbr8&index=8&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A
Marcadia - Capital City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK5MtJr36L8&index=10&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A&nohtml5=False
Station Q9 - Deathcourse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySozLCXatdg&index=16&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A&nohtml5=False
Station Q9 - Arena Combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Oaw-fVPnA&index=17&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A&nohtml5=False
Aquatos - Underwater Complex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru_CJOzMIsQ&index=20&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A
Zygan System - Obani Gemini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3zP2GTY1_Y&index=33&list=PL40EC0886514E2E8A&nohtml5=False

One of my favorite gaming soundtracks honestly and I remember every planet just from listening to this OST.

What else is there to say? Insomniac stuck gold with Ratchet 2 and made it perfect. This game is one I have literally no problems with and that really impresses me. Very few games I feel are perfect, only a very select few are as every thing has problems.

But Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal has no issues to me and is one game I can say until I'm blue in the face is one of gaming's best action/platformers of all time. Please, if you never played this before, run to your nearest store and get the PS3 HD Collection. It runs great on the PS3!

It is also part of the Vita Ratchet Collection but it has frame rate issues toward two sections in the game (one of the second to last final planets and the sewers you can explore).

Give this game a shot and have a blast!

hqdefault.jpg

Great write up, OP. UYA holds a special place in my heart because it was the first PS2 game I've ever played (around 2006) and really got me into the franchise.

I loved the writing especially in this game. Almost every moment is sheer comedic gold. I can recall so many memorable moments from this than past games.

And it's a darn shame this track only appears for a short while since the boss goes down really quickly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9WmkR2uWHsA

RK128

Ratchet Dreadlock's/Gladiators Retrospective will be posted on next Friday, as going forward, every Ratchet game will be covered on Fridays. Considering I have my Mega Man Retrospective happening now, want to make sure I have a focus on giving each Retrospective time to 'breath'.

Hope you all understand if Ratchet isn't as common as Mega Man or Sonic.

RK128

I loved the writing especially in this game. Almost every moment is sheer comedic gold. I can recall so many memorable moments from this than past games.

And it's a darn shame this track only appears for a short while since the boss goes down really quickly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9WmkR2uWHsA

Love the moment in the game where you learn about a start called Courtney Gears. Such a fun character XD!

And I'm glad you enjoyed the thread! I wanted this and Jak 3 with my PS2 when I got it in 2005. Got Ratchet 2 and Jak 3 instead but after some trade ins, got Sly 1 and Ratchet 3.....must have beaten Ratchet 3 at least 20+ times XD!

eliza0224

Great retrospective! One of my favorite games of all time, I love everything about it.

I liked the later entries, but none could really top UYA for me... the humor, the guns, everything was on point. There was so much to collect and discover, really liked all those elements.

Damn, I really need to get the new Ratchet...

RK128

Great retrospective! One of my favorite games of all time, I love everything about it.

I liked the later entries, but none could really top UYA for me... the humor, the guns, everything was on point. There was so much to collect and discover, really liked all those elements.

Damn, I really need to get the new Ratchet...

Thank you :D! Love this game a lot, so glad I did it justice :).

UYA is that 'game' many developers make once; the perfect game for a studio. Insomniac made great games for a very long time by the time UYA came out, but UYA was the 'magnum ops' for the studio I think. Its the first time they did a perfect job with one of there games, and they must be proud of the title.

sh4mike

Great threads. UYA is also one of my most played games, and my favorite Ratchet game featuring the best level designs and encounters.

Coincidently was playing through UYA for 3 days prior to getting the new R&C PS4. Probably not a good idea, since the new game tries to be faithful to R&C1 including its deficiencies. Lipstick on a pig, and simply can't compete with UYA.

Looking forward to your Deadlocked write up. =)

RK128

Great threads. UYA is also one of my most played games, and my favorite Ratchet game featuring the best level designs and encounters.

Coincidently was playing through UYA for 3 days prior to getting the new R&C PS4. Probably not a good idea, since the new game tries to be faithful to R&C1 including its deficiencies. Simply can't compete with UYA.

Looking forward to your Deadlocked write up. =)

I really enjoyed Dreadlocked/Gladiator quite a bit, so going to be fun writing it! Glad you enjoyed my past Ratchet threads too :D! Love this series and its wonderful writing about it :).

Just....do NOT get the PS3 version, has odd issues with cut-scenes.

Edit: This post is talking about Dreadlocked PS3 NOT the HD Collection. If I confused anybody, I am very sorry. The Ratchet 3 port on PS3 runs well and looks quite nice :).

sh4mike

I really enjoyed Dreadlocked/Gladiator quite a bit, so going to be fun writing it! Glad you enjoyed my past Ratchet threads too :D! Love this series and its wonderful writing about it :).

Just....do NOT get the PS3 version.

Please :'(.
I don't know what happened with those cinematics on PS3, so like most I cut right through them. The Deadlocked cinematics weren't nearly as enjoyable as UYA so not much lost. Core PS3 gameplay is tight, textures are solid, and the godly announcers are still a blast. Best weapon upgrade system in the series, and no boring mini games. Too bad the levels are generally small and bland relative to UYA.

RK128

I don't know what happened with those cinematics on PS3, so like most I cut right through them. The Deadlocked cinematics weren't nearly as enjoyable as UYA so not much lost. Core PS3 gameplay is tight, textures are solid, and the godly announcers are still a blast. Best weapon upgrade system in the series, and no boring mini games. Too bad the levels are generally small and bland relative to UYA.

Dreadlocked does a lot right, and I will cover that in its Retrospective. But I love how fun the combat systems were. Them having the TPS controls being default helped make combat even more nuts then before, as it IS a shooter now, not hiding in the skin of a platformer.

The announcers are amazing in Dreadlocked and are some of the best writing in the Ratchet series XD!

GavinUK86

only ratchet game i havent played is deadlocked. is it worth it? i always see people referring to it like its the black sheep of the series.

only ratchet game i havent played is deadlocked. is it worth it? i always see people referring to it like its the black sheep of the series.

I reckon it's worth it. It's a blast co-op!

The multiplayer is somewhat underrated. I played it on the PS3 remaster and thought it was really fun!

Burbeting

Banned
R&C3 was a solid game all things considered, but I don't like it as much I did with Going Commando. The two games are pretty similar, so I'll go through the things what I liked, and didn't like in USA compared to GC.

Stuff I liked:

-The Basic gameplay is really solid here. Shooting feels most refined and best executed out of all of the games so far for sure. PS3 games lost some of the preciseness of the controls, which was odd.
-Weapon variety is great. There aren't as many 'meh' weapons here like there was in GC, although some still felt like filler (Never liked Infector and Suck Cannon was mostly useless).
-Some really memorable areas. I still think that Insomniac hasn't topped Obani Draco with interesting locales to explore.
-The plot is lot of fun, especially after the pretty underwhelming plot of GC. Nefarious was a fun villain here, and you could feel how the stakes got higher planet by planet.

Stuff I didn't like as much:

-Some really boring level design. There are too many levels that are just not that fun to play through. Worst offender is Marcadia, since that is very early planet, yet always puts me to sleep when trying to play it. Other similarly bad planets were all of the Ranger missions.
-In relation to above, the Ranger missions. It was clear they were recycled multilayer material, with very boring areas, and mostly nothing but waves of enemies to fight. Ratchet games usually feel worse when it concentrates only in shooting, and I think the Ranger missions are a prime example of that.
-The hacker minigames. In original and GC they were a fun distraction, but in this game the hacking is so obnoxiously slow, and yet doesn't require any skill to solve them, they feel like nothing but annoying stop gaps on the way.
-Removal of mods to weapons. I commented in GC thread that these were a fun addition, so it was a shame they were taken away. Same with removing the bridge/strong bots from Clank sections, and replacing with mostly annoying Skrunch.
-Finally, removal of side activity. Racing and flying was removed in favor of just having the arena.

RK128

R&C3 was a solid game all things considered, but I don't like it as much I did with Going Commando. The two games are pretty similar, so I'll go through the things what I liked, and didn't like in USA compared to GC.

Stuff I liked:

-The Basic gameplay is really solid here. Shooting feels most refined and best executed out of all of the games so far for sure. PS3 games lost some of the preciseness of the controls, which was odd.
-Weapon variety is great. There aren't as many 'meh' weapons here like there was in GC, although some still felt like filler (Never liked Infector and Suck Cannon was mostly useless).
-Some really memorable areas. I still think that Insomniac hasn't topped Obani Draco with interesting locales to explore.
-The plot is lot of fun, especially after the pretty underwhelming plot of GC. Nefarious was a fun villain here, and you could feel how the stakes got higher planet by planet.

Stuff I didn't like as much:

-Some really boring level design. There are too many levels that are just not that fun to play through. Worst offender is Marcadia, since that is very early planet, yet always puts me to sleep when trying to play it. Other similarly bad planets were all of the Ranger missions.
-In relation to above, the Ranger missions. It was clear they were recycled multilayer material, with very boring areas, and mostly nothing but waves of enemies to fight. Ratchet games usually feel worse when it concentrates only in shooting, and I think the Ranger missions are a prime example of that.
-The hacker minigames. In original and GC they were a fun distraction, but in this game the hacking is so obnoxiously slow, and yet doesn't require any skill to solve them, they feel like nothing but annoying stop gaps on the way.
-Removal of mods to weapons. I commented in GC thread that these were a fun addition, so it was a shame they were taken away. Same with removing the bridge/strong bots from Clank sections, and replacing with mostly annoying Skrunch.
-Finally, removal of side activity. Racing and flying was removed in favor of just having the arena

Like I said in the OP, I might gloss over core issues with the game, so thank you for pointing them out, mainly the bolded ones. As I agree with those; not deal breakers by any means but little things that are a bit annoying.

Sorry if I did not comment on them enough in the OP guys.

But thank you for posting in the thread and sharing your thoughts; much appreciated :).

RK128

My favourite R&C. Would love to be able to play it on PS4.

With Ratchet PS4 being such an success, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony ported the other PS2 Games (Going Commando/2, Up Your Arsenal/3, Dreadlocked/Gladiator) and the Future Series (ToD, QfB, ACiT, Into the Nexus) to PS4 in the future.

Into the Nexus would greatly benefit from the stronger hardware of the PS4 for sure (making sure it runs far more stable then the PS3 version).

Tizoc

Just....do NOT get the PS3 version.

pBlyDN4.jpg

Please :'(.

That never happened to me, are you sure that isn't from the Vita ver. :V

RK128

Since its going to be a while before I cover it, will describe the game with bullet points:
-Most Shooter-like Ratchet game ever made; it is a TPS and it has a lot of creative levels to run though
-Presentation is more 'harsh' then any other Ratchet game
-Music in the game rocks
-Controls are perfect
-Core gunplay is on-point with a great line up of weapons and a great modding system in place
-Story while simple, has some good moments
-Commentators are really damn funny and you hear them all the time
-Various Skins can be unlocked, so you can play as either Ratchet or Clank during levels

Great game and while not the best game in the series, a close fourth for me for top five Ratchets (UYA being #1 for me, Going Commando being #2, A Crack in Time being #3 and #5 being Tools of Destruction).

That never happened to me, are you sure that isn't from the Vita ver. :V

Never got a Vita version :l. That is a screen of the PS3 version someone took and made me never consider picking up the PS3 version sadly.

Will remove the image though.

Tizoc

Since its going to be a while before I cover it, will describe the game with bullet points:
-Most Shooter-like Ratchet game ever made; it is a TPS and it has a lot of creative levels to run though
-Presentation is more 'harsh' then any other Ratchet game
-Music in the game rocks
-Controls are perfect
-Core gunplay is on-point with a great line up of weapons and a great modding system in place
-Story while simple, has some good moments
-Commentators are really damn funny and you hear them all the time
-Various Skins can be unlocked, so you can play as either Ratchet or Clank during levels

Great game and while not the best game in the series, a close fourth for me for top five Ratchets (UYA being #1 for me, Going Commando being #2, A Crack in Time being #3 and #5 being Tools of Destruction).

Never got a Vita version :l. That is a screen of the PS3 version someone took and made me never consider picking up the PS3 version sadly.

Will remove the image though.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read today no offense
Get the PS3 ver. that is very likely one of the random uncommon graphic glitches, the game runs fine otherwise. heck I'm certain I platinumed it and R&C2-
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1470-Ratchet-and-Clank-2/Tizoc789
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1522-Ratchet-and-Clank-3-Up-Your-Arsenal/Tizoc789

RK128

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read today no offense
Get the PS3 ver. that is very likely one of the random uncommon graphic glitches, the game runs fine otherwise. heck I'm certain I platinumed it and R&C2-
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1470-Ratchet-and-Clank-2/Tizoc789
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1522-Ratchet-and-Clank-3-Up-Your-Arsenal/Tizoc789

So its a rare glitch? Well, you are right, I DID make a dumb post XD!

Okay, will pick up the PS3 version in the future, thank you for the wake up call buddy :).

RK128

Happy you all enjoyed this thread! Really love this game, so I wanted to make sure I do a good job covering everything.

Like I said before, the Ratchet Dreadlocked/Gladiator thread will be up next Friday and if you guys want, can do a 'Quick Look' for the game this weekend.

Lets keep on blasting and having fun with the Ratchet & Clank series :D!

This is my favourite game in the series, and I agree with the OP. It's perfect in my opinion.

• The story was incredible
  • The planets were awesome and diverse
  • Best weapon selection and upgrade system
  • SO FUNNY!
  • Qwark vidcomics
  • Courtney Gears
  • Starship Pheonix
  • Amazing soundtrack
Not to mention multiplayer, which was a blast! I was always Skrunch!

Skrunch.jpg

And one of the most memorable planets was the first one you travel to.

Florana

latest

Plus, you can buy the Plasma Whip there!

My favorite Ratchet and Clank and in my top 10 games of all time. It has my favorite assortment of weapons and my favorite is the upgraded plasma coil. It was so much fun to use and saved me in the arena challenges plenty of times. I also liked the nitro launcher and the plasma whip. I also like the agents of doom more than mr. zurkon and the disc blade gun more than than the buzz blades. It's the only Ratchet and Clank that I know inside and out after playing for so much. I know where all the titanium bolts are located, the trophies, and know how to get all the skill points. It's also the only Ratchet and Clank that I have platinumed.

It also has a fun multiplayer. I remember I would play the multiplayer with my cousins and brothers for hours on end. Such as shame that they removed the multiplayer in later games as this and Ratchet Deadlocked both had fun multiplayers. If they remade this on PS4 I would probably end up buying it again even though I passed it many times and have the platinum for it.

Tizoc

So its a rare glitch? Well, you are right, I DID make a dumb post XD!

Okay, will pick up the PS3 version in the future, thank you for the wake up call buddy :).

Wow
The screenshot you posted? It's from Dreadlock not UYA
https://youtu.be/SCFKaVPnIeg?t=539

Seriously you think only a handful of people bought the HD collection? It would've been a widespread known issue if there were such constant graphical glitches.

Man suddenly I want to replay those games and I don't like replaying R&C games....

george_us

For whatever reason I didn't like this one nearly as much as Going Commando. Felt like Insomniac was trying too hard to cash in on the shooter craze that started gripping the console side of the industry. Going Commando had the perfect mix of shooting and platforming but Up Your Arsenal much felt like a TPS with a couple of platforming segments sprinkled in. It's been a decade since I've played any of the PS2 games though so I could be completely wrong.

RK128

Wow
The screenshot you posted? It's from Dreadlock not UYA
https://youtu.be/SCFKaVPnIeg?t=539

Seriously you think only a handful of people bought the HD collection? It would've been a widespread known issue if there were such constant graphical glitches.

Man suddenly I want to replay those games and I don't like replaying R&C games....

Okay, we are both very confused here XD!

When I posted that screen shot, I thought you was talking about Dreadlocked's PS3 version, NOT the HD collection. The HD Collection is fine and a great way to play through the games.

I feel stupid for not clarifying myself, so I'm really sorry man :(.

Great OP, but on a side note, I just thought maybe you could use some better dividers instead of hyphens. I use all these in my in-depth threads, and I made them with MS paint (so you can alter them to your liking if they're took think/thin) and with Gyazo -- a screenshot app.

Just surround the following URL's with
as per usual.

Solid Black Line Divider - https://embed.gyazo.com/7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

Solid Red Line Divider - https://embed.gyazo.com/76f6d44c922db44eed2628251694c32b.png

Dashed Red Line Divider - https://embed.gyazo.com/5995d51c15e653ec5e63f802ca49c90d.png

Here's a sample

Otherwise, neat stuff! I'm hoping to get through the HD trilogy I have on my PS3 once my exams are over. That, along side the Jak and Sly trilogy.

RK128

Great OP, but on a side note, I just thought maybe you could use some better dividers instead of hyphens. I use all these in my in-depth threads:

Just surround this URL with

Solid Black Line Divider - https://embed.gyazo.com/7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

Solid Red Line Divider - https://embed.gyazo.com/76f6d44c922db44eed2628251694c32b.png

Dashed Red Line Divider - https://embed.gyazo.com/5995d51c15e653ec5e63f802ca49c90d.png

Here's a sample

Otherwise, neat stuff! I'm hoping to get through the HD trilogy I have on my PS3 once my exams are over.

Thank you for the advice! Will bookmark this post when I make future threads :).

GooeyHeat

I must say it bugs me a tiiiiiiny bit that people keep saying Ratchet Dreadlocked instead of Deadlocked in this thread. :p

Anyway, though, no complaints here, this was a damn good game, and that's really all there is to it.
It's a mastapeece.

RK128

I must say it bugs me a tiiiiiiny bit that people keep saying Ratchet Dreadlocked instead of Deadlocked in this thread. :p

Anyway, though, no complaints here, this was a damn good game, and that's really all there is to it.
It's a mastapeece.

Sorry if I typed that mistake too many times XD! Will make sure to use the correct name when making the thread for Deadlocked ;).

But I'm happy you enjoyed the thread! The game really is a masterpiece.

This brings back some good memories. I remember the online, it was one of the main reasons I got the network adaptor.

Wasnt very good at it, but it was pretty cool. I want the new Ratchet and Clank as I've never ever played the first one.

But I wonder if Insomniac will go back and remake Going Commando/Up Your Arsenal. These two are easily the best of their generation

I just realized that I still never beat Crack in Time. I have such an itch for Ratchet, I may as well finish that one

HYDE

Banned
Platforming is bliss in Going Commando, gravity feature way ahead of it's time...Insomiac's best PS2 game imo.

GC>UYA>Original R&C.

RK128

Platforming is bliss in Going Commando, gravity feature way ahead of it's time...Insomiac's best PS2 game imo.

The moon area was such a great platforming experience and its nice to see that style of gameplay brought back for Up Your Arsenal :).

Love Going Commando a lot, as it is a damn good game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I concur, Up Your Arsenal is one of the best games ever and a highlight of the series alongside A Crack in Time.

FirLocke

Recently replayed R&C3 in anticipation for the new game; it has aged very well. Flew through it and was a joy to play.

That game had some dope water effects for a time period when cool looking water was everything in games. A PS2 couldn't do bump-mapping so they had some weird homecooked solution that gave their water a really neat look.

RK128

Recently replayed R&C3 in anticipation for the new game; it has aged very well. Flew through it and was a joy to play.

It is such a great game to go back to and plow through in two sittings :). Felt like only four hours past when I beat Ratchet 3 on my Vita for the Retrospective here XD!

That game had some dope water effects for a time period when cool looking water was everything in games. A PS2 couldn't do bump-mapping so they had some weird homecooked solution that gave their water a really neat look.

They tried pushing PS2 tech with water hard with Ratchet 2, but due to it slowing things down to the single digits frame rate wise, they down-scaled their water tech quite a bit. Still, it looks very impressive and they tried hard to make water look great.

This is definitely the best Ratchet & Clank game in my opinion. It's a common fan favorite, and I almost (but not really) find it a bit strange that most people (including me) favor it over Going Commando. Seems like it's easier to fault UYA for being shorter than GC, and being a lot less focused on platforming, but I think that sort of proves that most people who like R&C mainly like it for the gun play rather than the platforming. I definitely think the combat is what makes the series so strong. Deadlocked sort of contradicts that in a sense, but it showed that that platforming elements and light exploration is important to fans as well. Can't remember if Deadlocked had collectables, but I do remember it feeling confining in some way (A lot of people still love Deadlocked though, it's not really that hated)

I also have more fun playing through the combat sections in UYA than I did in GC, though I don't really know why. The enemy encounters were just more fun to deal with.

Plus, you can buy the Plasma Whip there!

Plasma Whip was my dude

SilkyImaginativeIcelandicsheepdog.gif

Top Bottom