• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

• It was fantastic

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 7.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 194 26.1%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 199 26.7%
  • It was poor

Votes: 151 20.3%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 131 17.6%

• Total voters

Roufianos

8/10 State of Play.
2/10 as a Showcase.

Saw a lot of promising games but what the fuck is going on at Sony's first party.

If GT7, God of War and Horizon weren't delayed, they would have released nothing last year and only Spider-Man this?

And that generic shit from Haven was just embarrassing.

Really baffling that they and nothing to show after a year and a half of silence.

Mr.Phoenix

That was bad, and it's a shame because Sony is fumbling a situation which should otherwise be very advantageous to them. Nintendo is clearly going to transition soon to their next machine, and XBOX is being incredibly disappointing. If Nintendo does not fuck up their transition, they could remain market leaders for the upcoming years.
Too soon for this.

And I wouldn't tihinkIwoud have to tell anyone on GAF this, but Sony and Nintendo operate in two very different gaming spheres. Eg, as far as gaming goes, regardless of how much the Switch is selling, Nintendo is not a market leader from a gaming revenue perspective. That's still Paystation. But that's not even relevant, what is important is that they just don't compete the same way. There is very little overlap between their games and/or features.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
With FFXVI coming out in a month it would be stupid for SE to show FFVII:R2.

I can see Wolverine being shown before Christmas as Spider-Man 2 is out In September. Insomniac are the best developers for quality and quantity. Spider-Man 2 has way faster traversal and while it did look similar to Spider-Man Remastered (Note I didnt say Spider-Man 1) it was definitely a noticeable upgrade on lighting and visuals.

The lack of Factions is surprising. We needed something from Naughty Dog in particular following the success of TLOU TV series. Missed opportunity in my opinion but maybe TLOU:Factions is being held for another day this year (if it's not shown by Ourbreak Day, get worried.)

The show was mid, there were a few third party games that excited me (DD2). Even if MGS3 Remake is muck, I will be able to play the original, Do what you want with a Remake or not, just allow the option to play the OG version on current gen. They are releasing the first two Metal Gears, and the first three Metal Gear Solids before the end of this year so I will never hate a show that delivers that.

The quire game looked interesting and the not Lego destruction game. GaaS isn't my thing so I'm happy for whoever wants that.

I think we are ignoring the Covid shaped elephant in the room. We are now seeing the delays effect the output but i expect by next year's show, I expect to see the traditional studios next projects. I imagine Cory's team had a break on their game to help get Ragnarok out on time.

I was expecting Sony to formally announce 2 more SP games and the show would have been killer.

ZehDon

Gold Member
No miss when you're just spitting facts. They don't seem to care about your feelings. Just as the sales numbers won't.
InfantileIdealisticLeonberger-small.gif

Ultra Donny

I didn't have any expectations so I thought it was a fun hour just to see games. Alan wake 2 and Dragons dogma 2was the highlight for me personally. Don't own a Ps5 so I'm not that disappointed of the lack of first party games during the showcase. Spiderman looked intense tho.

oji-san

Banned
First game and it's Watch Dogs 3!.... ummm no it's not, oh well.. A few more ok games.. then what is that? a samurai running? Ghost of Tsushima 2! No! after 3 seconds there's chaos and it looks good! Phantom Blade 0 the first game that caught my eyes, hope it's doesn't have Souls formula. ok so far nice show. FF XVI looks great.. and then.. Alan Wake 2! and this year! now i say to myself it's a good show. Assassin's Creed Mirage looks cool, and then Dragon's Dogma 2 game of the show for me.. yeah i'm happy now, and for the finale Spiderman 2 and it looks awesome.
All in all a cool 8 for me, at least 5-6 games i like, i have both PS5 and XSX so in the coming months i will play Starfield, FF XVI, Alan Wake 2, AC Mirage and i still haven't bought Hogwarts Legacy or Dead Island 2 and more games i'm waiting for discount.
I'm eating good, like a wild boar good, i don't care if Wolverine or any other PS games will come in a year or 2, i know they will deliver in the end, and in the meantime i have many games to play so all is good, we had about 75 minutes and like 70 of it was about games and no nonsense, while i don't like all genres that was shown like 2D games i felt the show was varied and made the most with my time.

I got way more than I was expecting out of it. So I am satisfied. I am not sure what some of these crazies were expecting.

Fucking Dragons Dogma, Alan Wake, and Marathon!

Even Asscreed looks pretty good this year.

The only game I saw that I didn't like was that EA one. Immortals or something. That was cringe.

Chinese game looks good.
Dragon Dogma looks good.
Some indie game looks interesting.
Ass creed looks like ass creed.
Don't care about MGS 3.
Spiderman 2 looks okay. Nothing special.

But where tf is FACTION 2???

Show is mediocre...

Too much Western made fluff(Alan Wake 2 excluded) and not enough Asian love. No Stellar Blade and no Little Devil Inside, it was mediocre by default. It wasn't a total loss though, and that's only because I was genuinely surprised by Phantom Blade and the presence of Dragon's Dogma 2. MGS3 Remake was only a cinematic, so it doesn't count.

I'm not even a big Sony 1st party fan, but 3rd party-wise this was poor too.

All these GAAS games with hipster protags will be offline before you even know they were released. Another Chinese Souls-like that will never come out. More indie games that people will claim "look interesting" but will never buy anyway, because they always end up forgettable or are never heard of again. MGS by modern Konami, come on now.

Alan Wake 2 gameplay was a saving grace, until it was announced to be downloadable only with no Steam release, meh.

Admittedly, I'm a weeb who wants every show to be like those TGS State of Plays (Rise of the Ronin, Yakuza, Tekken - that was my jam).

Last edited:

Roberts

As an xbox gamer, I was obviously mostly interested in multiplats and in that regard it was an OK showcase. But I was also curious about PS first party games and that was oof.

Highlights: The Talos Principle 2, Phantom Blade Zero (but it reeks of jank), Ultros, Teardown, DD2 and the idea that there will be a Marathon game. SM2 looks unfinished - won't be surprised if it is pushed to 2024.

Last edited:

mhirano

Lots of indies and generic games.
Generic Redfall
Generic Splatoon
Generic Metal Gear Rising with a Sekiro skin (Project Blade Zero)
Abysmal Metal Gear trailer

Love Spiderman but Spiderman 2 looks a little bit better than MM and looks like it plays itself (Miles gadgets looked boring and scripted)

Terrible showcase.

Last edited:
I wish they would just come out and say fuck you bitches bloodborne 2 or remake is never happening

I at least wanted some Stellar blade or to see what bluepoint is doing.

They really just added filler with shit we already knew existed and that's what annoyed me.

SF6
Final Fantasy 16
Destiny 2

There were more, but I will say I was very hyped with it being an hour. Every time they popped up at Sony logo transition screen they made it seem like the next announcement would be killer. Nope, an indie. Kinda lame.

~4M views. 146K likes vs 18K dislikes. Still nearly 90% approval. We can pretend this board is the most important thing to gaming all we like, but it's not. Fun place to discuss things, though. In the end, the needle didn't move at all and sales will reflect that. :messenger_beaming:

platina

Poor, only because Phantom Blade was the only interesting title. Now I’m hearing it might be Mobil game dev vaporware bullshit?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol, maybe in here from Xbox fanboys and PS gamers who allowed themselves to get over hyped. But, let's look at the gaming audience at large. The main showcase video has over 3.7M views so far. 142K like to 17K dislikes. That means basically 90% of gamers like what they saw. In other words, people in these forums can try to act like this was the worst thing ever, but it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Flawed analysis, proven fact that people don't like to complain, for every down vote there os like 5-10 people who didn't say anything abd didn't vote but were still not happy.

Lupin25

The show was okay.

SM2, Alan Wake 2, MGS Delta, Phantom Blade 0, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Towers of Aghasba were the standouts/surprises.

Alan Wake 2 & SM2 gameplay looked fantastic. But I’ll admit, SM2 needs a little polish graphically. Maybe a Nov drop would be better for them having a “Fall ‘23” window. Helldivers 2 looks promising and is coming this year. AC Mirage is a return to form, a nice update in fidelity, I like it…

Still, why so little from 1st party PlayStation Studios?
Just Insomniac, Bungie, Haven & Arrowhead shown.

Is Factions 2 still a PS4 game & why wasn’t it shown? Are Bluepoint’s, Firesprite’s, SSM’s and London Studios projects STILL not ready after years in the oven?

Then I realized, Sony seems to be showing games coming for the rest of this year into next.

Can’t say I’m still not disappointed, though.
Lots of 3rd party/indie stuff, but in the same token, there were games that were no-brainers that I thought would appear that didn’t.

Little Devil Inside - does this still exist?
Stellar Blade - still no release date
Eternights - it was shown last year, where is it?
Armoured Core VI - game releases in 3 months, this showcase could’ve brought it more exposure.
Silent Hill 2 - still no more gameplay or release date
Rise of the Ronin - shown next to Phantom Blade 0 would create some overlap, but this game is due soon.
Project Awakening - honestly thought it might make a come back
Firesprite’s Twisted Metal - The show is coming, so the game should follow suit, but nothing… it missed a good opportunity.

Overall, very little 1st party, too much 3rd party/indie stuff, yet not enough about the other 3rd party stuff I care about.
MS even took shots at this, because most of them weren’t exclusives (not a bad thing but surprising).

Sony is clearly holding back a bit.
Maybe another SoP coming at the end of summer to clarify Q4?

Last edited:

foamdino

I predicted that essentially if you looked at all the internal studios that could be ready to show something the show would be a deluge and what's the point in releasing loads of games in the next year?

The reality is that there will be an internal release schedule with games pencilled into slots and there is no point announcing something too early as it put pressure on the devs and starts the hype cycle too early.

On top of the 20 odd internal studios you have 3rd parties and it was always going to end up not including everything everyone was speculating about.

That said, I think there were only a few things that interested me, but you can't complain about variety.

I think they should have left out the haven project and the firewall project as they were just nothing but cgi. But perhaps they are the next projects to be released early 2024?

For me, these looked ok
Helldivers2 - a surprise for me
Lucky squire - seen before
Dragons dogma2 - another surprise
Gran blue fantasy relink - a release window at last
Phantom blade 0 - depends if it's a souls game
Spidey 2
Towers of aaaaa- unpronounceable but looked interesting

So there were some games for me, but all the gas stuff... And too many cgi trailers spoiled the show to be honest.

A C or 6/10

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
RIGHT?!

I seriously cant remember gamers being this jaded, and so fucking unhappy all the time, no matter what.

I swear a majority of gaming enthusiasts can no longer be happy if a game is showcase and its not aimed at them, because to hell with other gaming audiences, we just need gritty AAA games 24/7 shown in a showcase and never ever any unique creative smaller games meant for those who enjoy casual gaming.

Tower of Fantasy looked extremely unique. and everyones so silent about it. Thats the kinda game that would excite me, and a lot of my peers, 20 years ago.

But apparently that game is being brushed aside.

Normally, I would agree with you. However, this event was shit. We had some great third party announcements, but they were all multiplatform games. The few exclusives that were announced, that people have been hoping ot see, ended up being CGI GAAS games and one SP game that looks barely better than a PS4 title. People want a reason to have bought their next gen consoles and so far we have gotten fuck all from MS and Sony.

Most of the big names we saw for Third Party were already previously announced. Plucky Squire? Dragon's Dogma? Etc - all, known before hand. Sure its cool we get to see more info, but we already knew what these games were about.

As for Tower of Fantasy? That game has been out for a while on PC and its mediocre.

Last edited:
The reality is that there will be an internal release schedule with games pencilled into slots and there is no point announcing something too early as it put pressure on the devs and starts the hype cycle too early.
Your analysis makes sense, but then why would Sony allow Insomniac to reveal the Wolverine project back in 2021 if the game seems to be years away at this point?

Bigfroth

Subpar for me, Marathon, sword of the sea we're highlights for me. That Square game about shooting foam everywhere lol 😂 do they actually think people are going to play that on a long term basis? That game will have a sub 100 player count 2 days after launch. Lastly I'm more hyped for MSG vol 1 collection than I'm for Snake eater remake.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh wait, my bad, I meant Tower of Aghasba.

This looks super unique, and should be discussed more hopefully near release. Personally thought this was super interesting.

Agreed. Game looks amazing! But its also third party, multiplatform IIRC.

sachos

Its complicated.

As a 3rd party show it was way more than okay, they showed a lot of stuff that interested me, some of those indies looked amazingly creative with great art style plus we got freaking MGS Collection finally and Dragons Dogma 2 and Alan Wake 2 glimpses.

As 1st Party show it was WAY WORSE than okay. I voted Okay as a balance but really, a showcase should showcase way more 1st party stuff. After almost 2 years of waiting they only showed 1 First party Single Player game and the rest looked to be CGI for GaaS games... the total opposite of what people have come to expect from PS Studios and what made them great in the first place. Yeah, that Sony graph showing 60% GaaS investment by 2025 is looking scarier than ever.

Last edited:
Subpar for me, Marathon, sword of the sea we're highlights for me. That Square game about shooting foam everywhere lol 😂 do they actually think people are going to play that on a long term basis? That game will have a sub 100 player count 2 days after launch. Lastly I'm more hyped for MSG vol 1 collection than I'm for Snake eater remake.
Dude, same
MGS vol 1 was the only thing I was interested in.

Last edited:

Woopah

I got one of the three things I asked for (DD2) so that made me happy.
Too soon for this.

And I wouldn't tihinkIwoud have to tell anyone on GAF this, but Sony and Nintendo operate in two very different gaming spheres. Eg, as far as gaming goes, regardless of how much the Switch is selling, Nintendo is not a market leader from a gaming revenue perspective. That's still Paystation. But that's not even relevant, what is important is that they just don't compete the same way. There is very little overlap between their games and/or features.
They follow different strategies that is true, but they still very much compete with each other.

Flawed analysis, proven fact that people don't like to complain, for every down vote there os like 5-10 people who didn't say anything abd didn't vote but were still not happy.
I hope to God you're being sarcastic. People don't like to complain? Are you reading the posts in this thread? What about the videos on YouTube that get down voted into oblivion. People have no problem expressing their feelings, including complaining, especially behind the wall of anonymity that the internet provides. Sometimes it is something worthy to be upset about. Just face it, you're in the minority. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact.

THE DUCK

I hope to God you're being sarcastic. People don't like to complain? Are you reading the posts in this thread? What about the videos on YouTube that get down voted into oblivion. People have no problem expressing their feelings, including complaining, especially behind the wall of anonymity that the internet provides. Sometimes it is something worthy to be upset about. Just face it, you're in the minority. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact.

Not true at all, you've clearly never worked a customer service job in a management capacity. (if you have that's disturbing) All research points to the fact that most won't complain.
Nothing wrong with it, It's ok that you are wrong. As to videos being voted into oblivion, those are an exception, not the rule, and tend to have something very objectionable to get people to complain.

"For Every One Customer Complaint, There are 26 More Unhappy But Silent Customers"

"96% of Unhappy Customers Don’t Complain, but 91% of Those Will Simply Leave"

• Only about 4% of dissatisfied customers will actually share their complaints with the business.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

They follow different strategies that is true, but they still very much compete with each other.
Nintendo and Playstation competing is like saying a car and a plane are competing. They are both means of transportation, both in the business of getting people from point A to B... both exist independently of each other.

Not true at all, you've clearly never worked a customer service job in a management capacity. (if you have that's disturbing) All research points to the fact that most won't complain.
Nothing wrong with it, It's ok that you are wrong. As to videos being voted into oblivion, those are an exception, not the rule, and tend to have something very objectionable to get people to complain.

"For Every One Customer Complaint, There are 26 More Unhappy But Silent Customers"

"96% of Unhappy Customers Don’t Complain, but 91% of Those Will Simply Leave"

• Only about 4% of dissatisfied customers will actually share their complaints with the business.

Lmao, you're honestly comparing complaining anonymously online on social media and YouTube with how many people are willing to go through the hassle of customer support? Dude, that is a BIG apples to oranges comparison. You're right, most people don't go through customer support. They go online and rate/complain about the product and/or company and just don't buy from them, again.

THE DUCK

Lmao, you're honestly comparing complaining anonymously online on social media and YouTube with how many people are willing to go through the hassle of customer support? Dude, that is a BIG apples to oranges comparison. You're right, most people don't go through customer support. They go online and rate/complain about the product and/or company and just don't buy from them, again.

Your not getting it, the vast majority of people just won't vote negatively, online or not, times the negative votes by 10 and you likely have the real feedback. Large companies know this, apparently you do not.

Woopah

Nintendo and Playstation competing is like saying a car and a plane are competing. They are both means of transportation, both in the business of getting people from point A to B... both exist independently of each other.
It's more like comparing the two biggest car manufacturers.

Both Nintendo and Sony want you to buy their hardware instead of the other (or Microsoft's) and choose their platform for buying software.

Therefore they put effort into timed or fully exclusive games to convince you to choose them over the other.

D+

Good to great 3rd party showing, dragged down by poor 1st party presence.

I actually can't believe that they thought showing GCI trailers for their fucking live service game announcements would go okay with the fans. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Your not getting it, the vast majority of people just won't vote negatively, online or not, times the negative votes by 10 and you likely have the real feedback. Large companies know this, apparently you do not.
I get it, you hate being in the minority on this topic. But no mental gymnastics gets you out of that spot. The fact is people LOVE to complain on social media. If you don't realize that you are either blind or willfully ignorant.

THE DUCK

I get it, you hate being in the minority on this topic. But no mental gymnastics gets you out of that spot. The fact is people LOVE to complain on social media. If you don't realize that you are either blind or willfully ignorant.

Not sure why you think I'm in the minority on this topic when everything points to the opposite, but enjoy your fantasy world.
People do like to complain, they just most often won't take time out to do it. (yes even clicking to vote)
Even less likely to do it to complain. All professional research backs this up, but sure, your opinion reigns as fact, that makes sense, ok.

Mr.Phoenix

It's more like comparing the two biggest car manufacturers.

Both Nintendo and Sony want you to buy their hardware instead of the other (or Microsoft's) and choose their platform for buying software.

Therefore they put effort into timed or fully exclusive games to convince you to choose them over the other.
Nope... prefer my own analogy :messenger_beaming:

My reasoning is that their libraries do not overlap. This means the experience you get or can expect from them are both very dissimilar. If you have both a PS5 and Swith, you can find yourself buying 6 games each for each platform in a year. All different games. But if you have a PS5 and say an Xbox, buying a game for one would usually mean you do not buy games for the other. Unless we are taking exclusives.

But with the Switch and PS5/Xbox, their libraries are so different that everything an exclusive.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nope... prefer my own analogy :messenger_beaming:

My reasoning is that their libraries do not overlap. This means the experience you get or can expect from them are both very dissimilar. If you have both a PS5 and Swith, you can find yourself buying 6 games each for each platform in a year. All different games. But if you have a PS5 and say an Xbox, buying a game for one would usually mean you do not buy games for the other. Unless we are taking exclusives.

But with the Switch and PS5/Xbox, their libraries are so different that everything an exclusive.
But by that logic you could say that the PS1 and N64 didn't compete or that the 3DS and Vita didn't compete, since the platforms also had a lot of exclusives.

Those platforms are clearly meant to compete with each other. Hence why Sony wanted Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest exclusively on PS1 and why Nintendo wanted Monster Hunter exclusively on 3DS

These exclusive happen because they are in competition. That's also the reason Sony and Nintendo keep most of their first party games on their own platforms

Even if you are only looking at games that release on both platforms, there are a lot of multiplatform games so that angle doesn't work either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom