• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

• It was fantastic

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 7.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 194 26.1%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 199 26.7%
  • It was poor

Votes: 151 20.3%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 131 17.6%

• Total voters

GenericUser

Man, that FF16 trailer ...
artworks-000414697515-hqov64-t500x500.jpg

GenericUser

Lol, street fighter 6 looks like a switch game when it's placed between all those true ps5 games. Poor capcom.

Last edited:
It's been two years since their last showcase. Sony are heads and shoulders above their competition. We're in the middle of the generation. People are looking for reasons to be excited about their console hardware now that the honeymoon period is over. Sony touted this as their 2023 first party showcase. "Above average" doesn't really cut it at this level.
The honeymoon period? Lol, that ended in 2021. Is that this gen's "PS4 is still only selling on hype" when PS4 was still selling so well 2-3 years into the gen? There's plenty to be excited about the PS5, which is why it's comfortably outselling the competition.

No way that cost millions unless you are counting development costs lol
Obviously referring to the cost of putting on an E3 show. It's why E3 is dead. Like I said, why put on a show that costs you millions upon millions, when regardless of content or quality, hardcore gamers are going to bitch about something. Whether it's because something they wanted wasn't shown, or because something they didn't like was shown, as if every game shown has to appeal to them.

Now, you can put out vids on the internet, hardcore gamers can still bitch, you reach gamers of all backgrounds, but you saved a shit ton of money.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Snake Eater is still an incredibubble games but I wished we gots that lost MGSV contents

Where is the new IPS what in tarnation? I miss the smell of a new AAA Sony's IP

ryzen1

I'm watching it right now and I'm only 20 minutes in, but why are people disappointed with it? So far it's game after game after game, from grimdark edgy souls clone to colorful kitten action adventure games. Pretty cool so far imo.
After two years, people expected some Sony 1st party bangers and were disappointed.
We only saw two multiplayer gaas titles (Fairgame/Marathon) and a game we already know (Spider-Man 2). I'm not impressed either

GenericUser

After two years, people expected some Sony 1st party bangers and were disappointed.
We only saw two multiplayer gaas titles (Fairgame/Marathon) and a game we already know (Spider-Man 2). I'm not impressed either
Hmm, that is understandable. I personally really don't care if it's 1st party, 2nd party or 3rd party, I only care about the games itself. How cool the game looks and if it's a genre I'm interested in. I would rate this showcase a solid B+. Minimal talk, games non stop and quite a few games that I did not have on the radar and that look interesting. Excellent job, sony.

FeralEcho

If this was a yearly show it would've been a mediocre one but 2 years? They've been silent for 2 fucking years for this garbage? It's the worst Sony event I've ever seen.To Jim Ryan:

Mercy Madison GIF

Knightime_X

Automatic A+ if they announced bloodborne anything, remaster something else.
Even final fantasy tactics remaster would have been highly acceptable.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope Sony fans are sending the message loud and clear. This was simply unacceptable after 2 years...

I swear if ps5 does over take ps4 in sales this year and continues with the momentum it has...we have no hope...these purchasers are gullible as fuck....

Go buy a pc...don't support and settle for this shite.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I hope Sony fans are sending the message loud and clear. This was simply unacceptable after 2 years...

I swear if ps5 does over take ps4 in sales this year and continues with the momentum it has...we have no hope...these purchasers are gullible as fuck....

Nah, there is still plenty of great games to buy on PS5, namely PS4 titles with improved load times and third parties, which often run slightly better on PS5.

TheAssist

It was a perfectly good show with a lot of decent to good games. Phantom Blade and that Plucky Squire game stood out the most. Also FF16, Spiderman, Alan Wake, Metal Gear, the journey thing and the nights in the woods thing. Lots of good games. Not everything has to be the next biggest thing in the world.

I really dont understand the extreme negativity in people. Do you like being this unhappy all the fucking time?

dulleyes

Banned
It's been two years since their last showcase. Sony are heads and shoulders above their competition. We're in the middle of the generation. People are looking for reasons to be excited about their console hardware now that the honeymoon period is over. Sony touted this as their 2023 first party showcase. "Above average" doesn't really cut it at this level.
........who cares? I get it if we were in a drought and this entire year has been empty from first party games, or games in general, I get it. But it hasn't?

Sony has been pretty solid with game releases, and even games they didnt announce years ago has popped out of nowhere and been released months after reveal (like TLOU PART 1).

I'll agree that the showcase is whelming for a 2 year hiatus. but its the games that are released that matter, not a bunch of trailers in a showcase. The fact that SM 2 is coming out this year, which has already seen some steady releases from Sony, with FFXVI on the horizon. is already amazing in itself.

I'm really not sure if being in my mid-30's is having an affect with my perception, or the younger generation is actually acting really pampered as time goes on, but this showing was a solid one.

Getting caught in the hype of rumors of what games were going to be showcased, which was never confirmed, sounds like a us problem and not a Sony problem.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The honeymoon period? Lol, that ended in 2021. Is that this gen's "PS4 is still only selling on hype" when PS4 was still selling so well 2-3 years into the gen? There's plenty to be excited about the PS5, which is why it's comfortably outselling the competition.
No, this is "there's nothing to be excited about for PS5 owners past Spider-man and Final Fantasy because Sony hasn't announced anything other than GaaS". But, please, immediately go to bat for your team because of a criticism of the showcase - which judging from the poll and content of this thread, is echoed by most.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't belive the vote isn't public...can it be changed? I wanna know who voted this an A,B or even a C

Last edited:

Gold Member
As a game showcase it was fine, but as a PlayStation showcase it failed, not enough PS studio games and needed more gameplay. Shocked there was no Factions reveal.
Yeah, I felt the same as you it was alright, some cool looking stuff, some stuff not for me.

Needed more gameplay & 1st party stuff - especially Factions. Pretty average overall imo.

dulleyes

Banned
It was a perfectly good show with a lot of decent to good games. Phantom Blade and that Plucky Squire game stood out the most. Also FF16, Spiderman, Alan Wake, Metal Gear, the journey thing and the nights in the woods thing. Lots of good games. Not everything has to be the next biggest thing in the world.

I really dont understand the extreme negativity in people. Do you like being this unhappy all the fucking time?
RIGHT?!

I seriously cant remember gamers being this jaded, and so fucking unhappy all the time, no matter what.

I swear a majority of gaming enthusiasts can no longer be happy if a game is showcase and its not aimed at them, because to hell with other gaming audiences, we just need gritty AAA games 24/7 shown in a showcase and never ever any unique creative smaller games meant for those who enjoy casual gaming.

Tower of Fantasy looked extremely unique. and everyones so silent about it. Thats the kinda game that would excite me, and a lot of my peers, 20 years ago.

But apparently that game is being brushed aside.

But PC is also shit. As is every other gaming platform, tbh.

jurassic park deal with it GIF

We might be heading towards an early 80s situation again, when people at some point were so fed up with the state of the industry that it all collapsed. Not saying we'll have another total collapse like that again (it's literally too big to fail at this point), but there seems to be an avalanche type of risk where if one single game changing technology is introduced (i.e. streaming that "works" for most people), consumers will rapidly jump ship and completely turn this industry on it's head. I love PC, but it has it's drawbacks, too. Nowhere are you safe from this industries BS.

Yoboman

I think the problem is that State of Plays exist

Last September they dropped a State of Play with Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, Tekken. They have a bunch of these game focused State of Plays like FFXVI, Hogwarts etc.

Instead of saving up and throwing haymakers at one event, they just let off little pot shots throughout the year and leave themselves empty for a big event like this

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I use the full scale unlike many.

1/10. 2/10 at best. Straight up.

Im shocked people are calling it mediocre. It was straight up the worst Sony showcase of all time.

ONE 1st Party game with gameplay. One. How is that not all-time bad?

Last edited:
From the market leader, with over twice as many console sales as the closest competition.

It's wild...
Yea, that's not how that works. If you're the market leader who has a record of putting out banger after banger, people are going to give you some breathing room, especially if it's something silly like a show some people think should determine everything.

MS, on the other hand, has been struggling for years. Only fanboys are going to be cutting them slack, while the gaming audience at large knows they need to bring their A game if they want any goodwill. Unfortunately for MS, they seem to just be keeping with their mediocre game.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Biggest thing missing was even a single first party studio VR game, did they ever plan on fully supporting this? Since they were clearly willing to do cg trailers, does this mean they have nothing at all in the pipeline?

No, this is "there's nothing to be excited about for PS5 owners past Spider-man and Final Fantasy because Sony hasn't announced anything other than GaaS". But, please, immediately go to bat for your team because of a criticism of the showcase - which judging from the poll and content of this thread, is echoed by most.
Lol, maybe in here from Xbox fanboys and PS gamers who allowed themselves to get over hyped. But, let's look at the gaming audience at large. The main showcase video has over 3.7M views so far. 142K like to 17K dislikes. That means basically 90% of gamers like what they saw. In other words, people in these forums can try to act like this was the worst thing ever, but it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Zuzu

Lots of things missing from the show that I would’ve like to have seen. No FF7 Rebirth, no Wolverine update & no Stellar Blade. I would’ve liked to have seen some gameplay footage of Baldur’s Gate 3 running on PS5. While I’m not interested much they also need to show what’s happening with Last of Us Factions.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol, maybe in here from Xbox fanboys and PS gamers who allowed themselves to get over hyped. But, let's look at the gaming audience at large. The main showcase video has over 3.7M views so far. 142K like to 17K dislikes. That means basically 90% of gamers like what they saw. In other words, people in these forums can try to act like this was the worst thing ever, but it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Dude, it was straight wack..I stand by my comment, this is the worst sony showcase in probably 10 to 15 years. It was abysmal, you can try and defend it, but you shouldnt be. Ask for better from them. This isn't OK.

A bunch of CG with no release dates and no Sony games that are anything but CG, no dates...nothing.

ZehDon

Gold Member
A swing and a miss. Keep batting, I’m sure Jimbo appreciates you.

GooseMan69

Remember their 2019 E3 when we got full gameplay trailers for TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Spider Man, and Ghost of Tsushima? Like 5+ minute deep dives for 4 AAA exclusives in one show.

Fucking long way from that let me tell you.

Mr.Phoenix

Voted mediocre.

The only stuff that I really liked, I already knew was coming. SM2, FF16. Then there was stuff I really liked, like that Sea Sword tingy, phantom blade, Dragons Dogma and Alan Wake 2 which were a pleasant surprise but not the kinda stuff I would tune into a showcase to see.

Then there are things like MSG3, that even though I really wanted, getting nothing but a CGI trailer for that, just left me worried as hell for that game and tells me absolutely nothing about it.

And the rest of the show didn't appeal to me at all. My only comfort also happens to be why I scored this show poorly.... none of the stuff from the majority of studios I actually want to see or care about were there. That's why I didn't like this show, and at the same time.. that's why I still have hope.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Sony really spent all that 8bln on legal fees for the COD merger.

Gonna make me fire up my Stutter Box Pro and Poor Port Station.

TrebleShot

Also can I just ask,

WHAT is the OBSESSION with Five Nights At Freddys?? am I missing something? is it like 10/10 experience that I somehow missed?
Looks utter bollocks, like a cheap steam horror for streamers ages 13 and under.

Suspected it would be a poor showcase. No gameplay, no big games, the odd remake and online shite. It was always just going to be a lame refresh of stuff coming.

Game production is too long and expensive for it to coincide and match the recent hype and sales momentum.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No Naughty Dog
No SMS
No Sucker Punch
No Astrobot
No Bend Studio
No BluePoint
No Kojima and DS2
No Silent Hill
No Stellar Blade

It appears that SIE only gonna publish one game this year.

Why the heck this was called showcase instead of just another state of play?

This. It felt like an extended SOP rather than a showcase.

Considering there hasn't been a showcase for a long time, I don't blame people (myself included) for expecting Sony to actually showcase their big first party titles.

Fail.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
A lot of BS CGI trailers and some games I could not care less about. It was sort of okay and at the same time closer to a mediocre. There's some cool games in there though, added a bunch of them to my wishlist excluding Alan Wake II which I'll by for my PS5 - fuck EGS.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

That was bad, and it's a shame because Sony is fumbling a situation which should otherwise be very advantageous to them. Nintendo is clearly going to transition soon to their next machine, and XBOX is being incredibly disappointing. If Nintendo does not fuck up their transition, they could remain market leaders for the upcoming years.

Last edited:

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
I watched with almost no expectation, and for some of the games shown, it picked my interest (The Plucky Squire, especially). But somehow, it really boggles my mind how most of the poster in this thread can even think this particular Showcase as some of the worst (if not the worst) game showcase. For me, it was not the best, world changing, industry shaping, and salvation giver kind of showcase, ever, but it showed some of the game that I'm interested about, such as DD2, FF16, Spiderman 2, the new indies. I can't stand FPS, because of motion sickness, but I can understand how young kids nowadays love Fortnite and its ilk. My initial reaction to this thread is that a lot of people here are just grumpy old man screaming at the cloud, but maybe it's even worse than that.

Top Bottom