• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

• It was fantastic

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 7.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 194 26.1%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 199 26.7%
  • It was poor

Votes: 151 20.3%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 131 17.6%

• Total voters

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Very disappointed, and hardly what I would call a Sony showcase. This could have easily been broken up into a few state of plays. I went in hyped and energetic, and slowly just got fatigued... and don't even bother showing me cgi trailers without a release date.

Honestly, this whole generation has been a massive disappointment. The hardware was finally ready but nothing else was, apparently.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

What pisses me off the most is Sony spent 2.5 years in hiding and then came out and dropped hella mid

They basically cleared the house for Microsoft, all the smaller Indies and 3rd party titles have been revealed already

Either Sony is holding their heavy hitters, or Sony and their First Party developers have just reached new levels of incomptency

Ribi

This is why we need e3. They're gnna feed us filler because they know they can just have another drip show next month

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Third party multiplatform games were fine.

GaaS, which is Sony’s main focus was boring.

Spiderman 2 was a nice new Spiderman movie.

My excitement for Wolverine dropped a bit, since it’ll likely be more watching Wolverine than playing Wolverine.

Razzy-

Mediocre at best. Spiderman 2 should have been a SoP.
Clearly the games from other first party studios are not ready to be shown or they don't want to show it so it won't cannibalize Spiderman 2.

Either way, disappointment.

Copied and pasted from the other thread:

I'll give the show a C+

Favorite trailers/gameplay:

Helldivers 2
GhostRunner 2
Phantom Blade 0
Neva
Plucky Squire
Sword of the Sea
Towers of Aghasba
Alan Wake 2
Ultros
Dragon's Dogma 2
Spiderman 2

Cautiously Optimistic:

Assassin's Creed Mirage
Arizona Sunshine 2 (PSVR2)
Synapse (PSVR2)

Best News:

That Grandblue Relink RPG isn't dead and it's coming out this year!

Best Reveals:

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater
Bungie's Marathon

The rest didn't leave much of an impact or we've already seen enough of them(like tower of fantasy and FF16)

Complaints:

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection missing part 4(Why????)
Concord's trailer was pointless
The show's introductory/opener game was the exact same concept as that one Sega(?) GAAS game where you're robbing banks in neon gear and helmets. It needed explanation.

Sony still can't seem to nail the pacing of a great show. Thus, the show itself felt like it was moving too fast and you didn't have any moments to go further into gameplay or concepts. There were a lot of moments where I wanted a traditional showcase-style of a developer explaining their game's concept, because there were some games where I didn't even know what I was looking at, let alone what genre it would be(like Concord).

This part is new from the reactions I've seen: I don't think this show is an F like all of the disappointed rumor-hype train types claim it to be, nor is it an S+ masterpiece of a show that the contrarians want it to be.

The definition of an F show(or 1/10 show) is what Capcom and Konami used to do when they would just have developers talking for an hour just to announce a couple of games with only title cards. Capcom literally did this exact type of show recently a couple of years ago with RE 4 and Dragon's Dogma 2. Again, that's an F. Why? It's a literal complete waste of time.

This Sony show was the very definition of a C+ show. It had ups and downs for all different types of fans, but that's strangely what happens when you try to please everyone of almost all genres. You end up with something seen as middle of the road for everyone.

Rac3r

The showcase was a mess, plain and simple. There was no structure. It should have been broken up into sections between VR, indies, third party games and big first/second party exclusives. Some exclusives that were shown last year like Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and/or FF7 Rebirth should have been in this showcase instead. Sony's announcements have been all over the place. The random State of Plays and external game show reveals, coupled with longer development times, are make it difficult to have a stacked showcase (without announcing games several years in advance). But I guess the silver lining is that we can probably expect more announcements at a Summer Games Fest, a future State of Play, or the Game Awards.

A showcase like this would've been more well received I think:
Marathon
Alan Wake 2
Snake Eater
*Rapid Fire VR2 Games*
Ghost Runner
AC Mirage
Foam Stars
Dragon's Dogma
*Rapid Fire Indie Games*
*Hardware Stuff*
Rise of the Ronin
Helldivers 2
Stellar Blade
Fairgame$
Death Stranding 2
Concord
Spiderman 2
End on a big teaser (Bluepoints game or Factions)

somesang

Love the format as usual with back to back videos. Hated the CG. Wasn’t interested in a majority of the announcements.

Should have been a few SoPs instead of a showcase.

C at best, D if you’re not interested in Spider-Man. Thank god we got Dragon’s Dogma footage.

DaGwaphics

It wasn't bad, I voted "okay". Typically there is always some huge reveal for a new first-party single player at these shows. I was surprised that Spider-Man was the primary attraction.

However, I can understand keeping things closer to the vest, I've never been a big fan of announcements for games that are 2 or 3 years out. Though the occasional one here or there is okay.

Seems like they have several studios that should be years in on projects, but games do take a long time to make I guess.

nial

Gold Member
I just asked Sony one thing... WHERE THE FUCK IS TEAM ASOBI? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
yeah, it was a shitshow first-party wise, they better fucking learn next time

icerock

Great thread, specifically the point on "They (Nintendo) seem to have a core ethic - and I don’t know because I’ve never worked there, nor is this a journalistic study - but they seem to go out of their way to come up with new interactive experiences for us. They don’t just look at data & say “quick, we need a battle royale!”

What a colossal disappointment the showcase was. Getting away from their strengths (prestige SP experiences) to mindless chase of golden goose that is GaaS. Each and every single one of them looked soulless and empty which shouldn't be a surprise because the studios making them have no prior GaaS experience (or any game for that matter). Only exception was Bungie, because they actually know what they are doing.

The real kick in the nads is no single player first party game apart from Spider-Man 2. Just think about it, Sony had an entire showcase where they didn't announce one new SP game. Imagine writing that 5 years ago? Most fucked up part is, we are still in same position as we were yesterday with no idea what's next for vast majority of their first party studios.

I thought I was being cynical a while ago when I wrote Sony have their fingers in too many pies i.e. SP, MP, GaaS, Mobile, PC, VR, Movies, TVs, Anime etc. and it might hurt them. Today's showcase was proof of it, they are deviating from their strengths which has gotten them here. Today was firmly Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst era on show, they really need to deliver next time they put together a showcase otherwise I'll lose interest fast if this is the future of PlayStation, where they are busy making ton of GaaS and SP experiences from their prestige first party studios is sprinkled once every few years.

DryvBy

Why is Square making Zoomer Splatoon and thinking this will do well?

That was the jump the shark moment of the show for me.

Great thread, specifically the point on "They (Nintendo) seem to have a core ethic - and I don’t know because I’ve never worked there, nor is this a journalistic study - but they seem to go out of their way to come up with new interactive experiences for us. They don’t just look at data & say “quick, we need a battle royale!”

What a colossal disappointment the showcase was. Getting away from their strengths (prestige SP experiences) to mindless chase of golden goose that is GaaS. Each and every single one of them looked soulless and empty which shouldn't be a surprise because the studios making them have no prior GaaS experience (or any game for that matter). Only exception was Bungie, because they actually know what they are doing.

The real kick in the nads is no single player first party game apart from Spider-Man 2. Just think about it, Sony had an entire showcase where they didn't announce one new SP game. Imagine writing that 5 years ago? Most fucked up part is, we are still in same position as we were yesterday with no idea what's next for vast majority of their first party studios.

I thought I was being cynical a while ago when I wrote Sony have their fingers in too many pies i.e. SP, MP, GaaS, Mobile, PC, VR, Movies, TVs, Anime etc. and it might hurt them. Today's showcase was proof of it, they are deviating from their strengths which has gotten them here. Today was firmly Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst era on show, they really need to deliver next time they put together a showcase otherwise I'll lose interest fast if this is the future of PlayStation, where they are busy making ton of GaaS and SP experiences from their prestige first party studios is sprinkled once every few years.

all of that was bullshit.

the only real takeaway is that Bad Show = Bad PR.

and that's about it. Which is good, pressure to be batter.

Rykan

Just a friendly word of advice: Stop watching these live. It's not worth it. Just wait one hour after it's done, and you can watch the entire thing and skip through all the low budget indie crap and get to the good stuff.

These shows are rarely actually worth it to sit through. Even the best E3 press conferences typically only have a few good titles. Usually the first E3 before and after a new console launch is worth it, otherwise just watch the VOD and skip through the boring parts.

Just a friendly word of advice: Stop watching these live. It's not worth it. Just wait one hour after it's done, and you can watch the entire thing and skip through all the low budget indie crap and get to the good stuff.

These shows are rarely actually worth it to sit through. Even the best E3 press conferences typically only have a few good titles. Usually the first E3 before and after a new console launch is worth it, otherwise just watch the VOD and skip through the boring parts.
not for sony's showcases.

as i said before. this one gave me xbox vibes.

penguininthesun

Neo Member
I'm super hyped for Spider-Man 2, but it does look a lot like the previous two games. Personally, I did not find the showcase to be mindblowing or anything, but it was not horrible.

[Sigma]

FairGame$ - I don't like the premise and it's live service so that's a strike against it. The $ is just off putting. No gameplay. This trailer gave me no indication as to why Jim and Hermen would buy this studio.

Helldivers 2 - Big fan of Helldivers 1. Got the platinum and I think most if not all dlc. Helped a lot of people get the platinum and dlc trophies in the first game. A game that was fun whether you were playing by yourself, friends or with randoms. The 3rd person change is big but im thinking it will go the way for example Nex Machina to Returnal did. Where the gameplay retains much of the same despite the view change(even though they're not the same game series, if you ever played Nex Machina and Returnal, you will realize just how similarities in gameplay). If they can do so, it will likely be able to recreate the magic the first game had. At least we know the humor is still intact.:)

Immortals of Aveum - Didn't think much of it. It could be cool but it's not on my radar or anything for now.

GhostRunner II - First game makes me sick while playing it. So I haven't played it in a while. Trailer looks cool though.

Phantom Blade 0 - Looks sick yet familiar. These games are starting to look like it each other to me. Still, it was a highlight in this showcase so i'll keep a look out for it.

Sword of the Sea - I thought it was ThatGameCompany at first lol. It said it was an artist involved. It looks interesting so im in it for the "experience" hopefully. Those games are more that can actual fun but that's cool.

The Talos Principle II - No thoughts. Didn't play the other, maybe I should.

Neva - Gris was cool so i'll keep an eye on this.

Cat Quest - Simple, look like a mobile game yet I kinda dig the art and im somehow im intrigued.

Foamstars - Likely going to flop. It's hard to do the Nintendo thing. I may try it out for the hell of it.

The Plucky Squire - I love almost everything I saw about it.

Teardown - I'll get it even if it means I just get it for my nephew, I know he'll play the heck out of it.

MGS - Um ok, not the trailer I expected but we'll see.

Towers of Aghasba - Look decent from a graphics standpoint. I have no thoughts on the gameplay or anything else.

Final Fantasy XVI - Probably going to be my Game of the Year. Another awesome trailer.

Alan Wake 2 - Gotta play it since I liked the first game. This one looks interesting at least.

Assassin's Creed Mirage - I will not be fooled. They're going to have to show me.

Revenant Hill - No interested.

Granblue Fantasy Relink - Been waiting a long time lol.

Street Fighter 6 - Just bring on the game. I already know it's going to be one of my favorite games of the year.

Ultros - I dig it.

Tower of Fantasy - Ok. Noted at least.

Dragon's Dogma II - Excited. Auto cop.

Marathon - Live service. Extraction. No gameplay. Don't know what im suppose to do with it but im not excited off tops. I don't give a damn that it's Bungie.

Destiny 2 The Final Shape - Can't judge, I don't play this game begin with.

Concord - Live Service. Coming in 2024 yet you can't even show gameplay yet. Like what are we doing.

Spider-Man 2 - Bring it on!!!

Overall: 4/10. It was poor. If I include all games and just judged based on that, id give it a lot higher score but this is the PlayStation Showcase. You starved us for more than a year and a half. I want to know about the 1st party exclusives. You showed up with 4 live services, NONE showed gameplay. Spider-Man 2 was the lone single player. Helldivers 2 was your co-op. So basically after all this time you show up with Spidey 2 and Helldivers 2. Epic fail.

Last edited:
Alan Wake 2 and Dragons Dogma 2 were the only 2 cool things. Helldivers 2 as well I guess but it just isn't enough.

Spiderman 2 was meh.

I voted - Very poor.

Not a single mega hit 1st party title was even teased for 2024 or beyond. Absolutely dumb. Jimbo is sleeping too much and Herman Hulst is too busy sleeping next door as well.

dulleyes

Banned
Man, must be hard being at the top.

The criticisms of the showcase is stretching to absurd levels.

Maybe I wasn't caught into the hype as some of you (seeing how im not so involved in gaming in a long while), but I thought it was a solid showing that showed some games ive been dying to see revealed like Dragons Dogma 2, AC Mirage & Alan Wake 2 which was a surprise showing to me.

Others like the Tower of Aghbasa (or something) seemed really unique and a damn good solid game to boot.

It was average at worst, above average at best. That seems fine to me, but I guess if you live and breathe videogames I can see where the backlash coming from when your entire lives revolves around pieces of plastic.

Man, must be hard being at the top.

The criticisms of the showcase is stretching to absurd levels.

Maybe I wasn't caught into the hype as some of you (seeing how im not so involved in gaming in a long while), but I thought it was a solid showing that showed some games ive been dying to see revealed like Dragons Dogma 2, AC Mirage & Alan Wake 2 which was a surprise showing to me.

Others like the Tower of Aghbasa (or something) seemed really unique and a damn good solid game to boot.

It was average at worst, above average at best. That seems fine to me, but I guess if you live and breathe videogames I can see where the backlash coming from when your entire lives revolves around pieces of plastic.
dulleyes.

Fredrik

I thought it was okay. Spidey 2 seemed great, Dragons Dogma 2 was a surprise, AC Mirage seemed cool, RE4 VR looked fantastic, Plucky Squire looked great, Phantom Blade looked awesome.

But I’m no hardcore PS fan and was in no choo choo hype mode. I do understand the complaints about a lackluster first party showcase, they could’ve at least had some teasers from new games from Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch. And why nothing from Stellar Blade? Rise of the Ronin? Silent Hill 2?

6/10

Last edited:

Neff

Dragon's Dogma II, SF6 and FFXVI were great, as expected. MGS trilogy for modern platforms is welcome news. Bungie's new gig is gorgeous even though I have no interest in Bungie games. Phantom Blade 0 might be worth keeping an eye on. The cartoon RPG where they jump out of the game looked neat.

Everything else felt like generic, expensive conference mush.

Well, I can see why E3 died. Why spend millions on a decent to good show when gamers will never be satisfied with what you show? Want to know why there is no E3, check the mirror.

Hoppa

Space games, Cat games, Spider-Man and a Metal Gear trailer made in Dreams.

D

Was hoping to see Mortal Kombat and Factions at the very very least.

Yoboman

Well, I can see why E3 died. Why spend millions on a decent to good show when gamers will never be satisfied with what you show? Want to know why there is no E3, check the mirror

No way that cost millions unless you are counting development costs lol

DrFigs

What makes it a bad show is that Sony has not shown anything new, i think, for the past 2 years. The ps5 is halfway through it's life cycle and most PS devs have yet to release a game on it. Those that have released games have been making ps4 cross gen titles. It's pathetic. And this is before all the PC stuff. What is the point of this console?

Would have been fun to see more games apart from Spiderman that looked even remotely "next-gen". Even that wasn't particularly impressive or anything compared to much older PS5 exclusives.

In many ways this generation has been a huge disappointment, games-wise.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It was terrible I'm sorry my friends Sony has not excited me since Returnal

Buts I will still get Spiderman and I will guarantee that Dragons Dogma has fun combats even though the graphics are bit crud

Hmmm they did just want “total mindshare”. That doesn’t mean always positive.

Eddie Murphy Laughing GIF

Last edited:

GenericUser

I'm watching it right now and I'm only 20 minutes in, but why are people disappointed with it? So far it's game after game after game, from grimdark edgy souls clone to colorful kitten action adventure games. Pretty cool so far imo.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... It was average at worst, above average at best. That seems fine to me, but I guess if you live and breathe videogames I can see where the backlash coming from when your entire lives revolves around pieces of plastic.
It's been two years since their last showcase. Sony are heads and shoulders above their competition. We're in the middle of the generation. People are looking for reasons to be excited about their console hardware now that the honeymoon period is over. Sony touted this as their 2023 first party showcase. "Above average" doesn't really cut it at this level.

Top Bottom