• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ray Tracing is not meaningful and is a dumbness Galore demand

leo-j

Sony made it work so well with Spider-Man and ratchet and clank…… like it’s a nexgen thing, these ps4 gen titles upscalled just ain’t doing it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
look at uncharted 4 or tlou2. If this game was using rt, it would look worse because it would be low quality rt as compared to very high quality bake pass.
Just the right mix of dynamic and baked in their games.

Rt is a cheap cop out for expensive reflections because we can’t make good cubemaps combined with ssr

keefged4

It is impressive technology-wise, but at the moment its has the equivalent benefit of setting an N64 game to it's high-res mode with the expansion pack. Not worth the massive drop in framerate. For now anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nvidia BAD GUY HRRRRR!
Meanwhile Nvidia pushing real time graphics to new heights and delivering best GPU's in the market that has no competition
omniverse-marbles-gallery-full-screen-3840-3.jpg

omniverse-marbles-gallery-full-screen-3840-1.jpg

nvidia-omniverse-marbles-at-night-1.png
this is more of a showing of filmic grade models, rather than rt honestly.
that demo barely runs

I have to agree to some extent. It's too demanding for console current hardware with diminishing returns. It does look good when well implemented, but I would rather use the resources for better graphics or framerate now

lmimmfn

Everyone is paying a huge premium for compute power for RT, is it worth it?
Personally I think it's a waste of cash and investment for those not interested, I only have a 4060Ti and while I love the concept if raytracing I'm only interested in regular techniques and havnt even tried raytracing.

Last edited:
To be fair I've never really been the biggest advocate of the hybrid RT that we have now, but having recently started playing W40K: Darktide I'd say I'm converted. Not only does the RTGI & reflections look good but it all adds to the atmosphere of the game, which the regular baked lighting & SSR can't replicate.

What u been under a rock or something, most games run and look better on ps5, there is no point comparing to pc unless ur looking at something at similar price point.

And raytracing is future, end of.

Last edited:

Pigenator

I don't really notice any RT improvements besides reflections. I agree it's transformed into somewhat a buzzword for "shiny graphics", but at the same time it's not mature enough and current-gen consoles simply don't have the powers to run decent RT so we're probably not going to see very big improvements for now. (perhaps besides PC-exclusive games)

kingyala

Banned
To be fair I've never really been the biggest advocate of the hybrid RT that we have now, but having recently started playing W40K: Darktide I'd say I'm converted. Not only does the RTGI & reflections look good but it all adds to the atmosphere of the game, which the regular baked lighting & SSR can't replicate.
that game was designed with raytracing in mind, other games just patch up rt as some gimmick

I have mixed feelings about RT. There's so many examples of games with RTX off vs ON and the visual results are "pleasant" at best, and that's me being generous, the performance hit however is pathetic when you consider what you're getting in return. Games like Witcher 3 look slightly better with RTGI on, sure there's some slightly better shading on trees and objects but that's about it, it'll tank over half the FPS lol

On the other hand there's games like Metro Exodus which look gorgeous with the multi-bounce RTGI, one of my favourites actually. People like to blame the consoles for their RT performance but Spiderman and MM worked really well with ray-traced reflections, especially considering the heavy urban environments (lots of buildings and lots of windows), so the RT implementation worked well given the context.

There's also the benefits of RT from the development side, artists and developers will no longer have to worry about pre-baking lighting into games, and this can save a lot of time and resources and also result in more accurate lighting.

There's no doubt that companies like Nvidia have been making a strong marketing push for ray-tracing since Turing, and it's mainly because it's the key advantage they have over their competition. I think we're years off before RT becomes mainstream, I don't think it's as impressive as things like micro-polygon rendering systems like Nanite when it comes to visual results, but hopefully the implementations improve over the years, I won't expect anything too drastic or game-changing though.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
this is more of a showing of filmic grade models, rather than rt honestly.
that demo barely runs
Nvidia: "NVIDIA RTX enthusiasts can download Marbles RTX and experience Omniverse’s advanced capabilities in real-time ray- and path-traced rendering"

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/27/omniverse-marbles-rtx-playable-sample/

that demo barely runs
It runs at roughly 100fps 3440*1440p now and i remember that it run roughly 40fps+ on a RTX3090.

kingyala

Banned
He doesn't know what he is talking, he thinks that RT is Nvidia exclusive marketing gimmick.

Even Epic themeself say that games with dynamic worlds need to have compromises or you need a static world to bake everything in (which lots of games currently do). And thats where RT comes in place and makes that dynamic world look good all the time without compromise.

starts at 1:25

last time i checked ue5 doesnt use hybrid rt as u have it in ur gimmicky patched games.. ue5 uses their own gi technology that runs on software and only recently updated to support hardware and lumen uses sdf and voxel tracing not expensive raytracing

kingyala

Banned
I have mixed feelings about RT. There's so many examples of games with RTX off vs ON and the visual results are "pleasant" at best, and that's me being generous, the performance hit however is pathetic when you consider what you're getting in return. Games like Witcher 3 look slightly better with RTGI on, sure there's some slightly better shading on trees and objects but that's about it, it'll tank over half the FPS lol

On the other hand there's games like Metro Exodus which look gorgeous with the multi-bounce RTGI, one of my favourites actually. People like to blame the consoles for their RT performance but Spiderman and MM worked really well with ray-traced reflections, especially considering the heavy urban environments (lots of buildings and lots of windows), so the RT implementation worked well given the context.

There's also the benefits of RT from the development side, artists and developers will no longer have to worry about pre-baking lighting into games, and this can save a lot of time and resources and also result in more accurate lighting.

There's no doubt that companies like Nvidia have been making a strong marketing push for ray-tracing since Turing, and it's mainly because it's the key advantage they have over their competition. I think we're years off before RT becomes mainstream, I don't think it's as impressive as things like micro-polygon rendering systems like Nanite when it comes to visual results, but hopefully the implementations improve over the years, I won't expect anything to drastic or game-changing though.
exactly and for such reasons baked lighting is here to stay and rt will be used for specific games according to the artistic direction. some games just dont need rt.. for instance this resi4 rt is pointless, hair strands are pointless, and only God knows why they added sub surface scattering on skin like who really is interested!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
last time i checked ue5 doesnt use hybrid rt as u have it in ur gimmicky patched games.. ue5 uses their own gi technology that runs on software and only recently updated to support hardware and lumen uses sdf and voxel tracing not expensive raytracing
What?

Turk1993

theres lots of ways to fake reflections and it doesnt need raytracing

So RT is expensive to use and you want to mirror render the whole scene and character which it still is not as accurate and you think thats the way to go. Show me a modern game that does that that is not located in a indoor room and has dynamic lighting. small rooms and non dynamic scenes are easy, thats why you never see that in a big open world game like Spiderman. Was this your render friendly RT alternative :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

So Control, Metro and Cyberpunk are gimmicky patched games now right, they didn't launch with RT :messenger_tears_of_joy:. You are funny i give you that.

Also
"Lumen is a hybrid tracing pipeline that uses Software Ray Tracing"
https://www.lunas.pro/news/lumen-ray-tracing.html#:~:text=Lumen is a hybrid tracing,low-resolution model of it.

"Lumen uses Software Ray Tracing through Signed Distance Fields by default, but can achieve higher quality on supporting video cards when Hardware Ray Tracing is enabled."
https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/lumen-technical-details-in-unreal-engine/

"Lumen is based on ray-tracing, albeit a more optimized, hybrid form of it"
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/unreal-engine-5-lumen-vs-ray-tracing-which-one-is-better/

99f.gif

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
Lumen
Use Hardware Ray Tracing when availableUses Hardware Ray Tracing for Lumen features when supported by the video card, RHI, and operating system. Lumen will fall back to Software Ray Tracing otherwise. Hardware Ray Tracing has significant scene update costs for scenes with more than 100,000 instances. See Ray Tracing Performance Guide for information.
Ray Lighting ModeControls how Lumen Reflection rays are lit when Lumen is using Hardware Ray Tracing. By default, Lumen uses Surface Cache for best performance, but can be set to Hit Lighting for Reflections for higher quality.
Software Ray Tracing ModeControls which tracing method Lumen uses when ray tracing the scene. Detail Tracing traces against individual mesh's Distance Fields for the highest quality. Global Tracing traces against the lower detail Global Distance Field for fastest traces.

Hardware Ray Tracing
Support Hardware Ray TracingEnables ray tracing from supported operating systems, RHI, and video cards for higher quality results.

Software Ray Tracing
Generate Mesh Distance FieldsWhether to build distance fields of Static Meshes. This is needed for Software Ray Tracing with Lumen and Distance Field Ambient Occlusion which is used to implement Movable Sky Light shadows and ray-traced distance field shadows on Directional Lights. Enabling this increases build times, memory usage and disk size of Static Meshes.
Distance Field Voxel DensityDetermines how the default scale of a mesh converts into Distance Field Voxel dimensions. Changing this causes all distance fields to be rebuilt. Large values consume memory very quickly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lumen
Use Hardware Ray Tracing when availableUses Hardware Ray Tracing for Lumen features when supported by the video card, RHI, and operating system. Lumen will fall back to Software Ray Tracing otherwise. Hardware Ray Tracing has significant scene update costs for scenes with more than 100,000 instances. See Ray Tracing Performance Guide for information.
Ray Lighting ModeControls how Lumen Reflection rays are lit when Lumen is using Hardware Ray Tracing. By default, Lumen uses Surface Cache for best performance, but can be set to Hit Lighting for Reflections for higher quality.
Software Ray Tracing ModeControls which tracing method Lumen uses when ray tracing the scene. Detail Tracing traces against individual mesh's Distance Fields for the highest quality. Global Tracing traces against the lower detail Global Distance Field for fastest traces.

Hardware Ray Tracing
Support Hardware Ray TracingEnables ray tracing from supported operating systems, RHI, and video cards for higher quality results.

Software Ray Tracing
Generate Mesh Distance FieldsWhether to build distance fields of Static Meshes. This is needed for Software Ray Tracing with Lumen and Distance Field Ambient Occlusion which is used to implement Movable Sky Light shadows and ray-traced distance field shadows on Directional Lights. Enabling this increases build times, memory usage and disk size of Static Meshes.
Distance Field Voxel DensityDetermines how the default scale of a mesh converts into Distance Field Voxel dimensions. Changing this causes all distance fields to be rebuilt. Large values consume memory very quickly.
So raytracing.

kingyala

Banned
So RT is expensive to use and you want to mirror render the whole scene and character which it still is not as accurate and you think thats the way to go. Show me a modern game that does that that is not located in a indoor room and has dynamic lighting. small rooms and non dynamic scenes are easy, thats why you never see that in a big open world game like Spiderman. Was this your render friendly RT alternative :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

So Control, Metro and Cyberpunk are gimmicky patched games now right, they didn't launch with RT :messenger_tears_of_joy:. You are funny i give you that.

Also
"Lumen is a hybrid tracing pipeline that uses Software Ray Tracing"
https://www.lunas.pro/news/lumen-ray-tracing.html#:~:text=Lumen is a hybrid tracing,low-resolution model of it.

"Lumen uses Software Ray Tracing through Signed Distance Fields by default, but can achieve higher quality on supporting video cards when Hardware Ray Tracing is enabled."
https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/lumen-technical-details-in-unreal-engine/

"Lumen is based on ray-tracing, albeit a more optimized, hybrid form of it"
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/unreal-engine-5-lumen-vs-ray-tracing-which-one-is-better/

99f.gif
raytracing is a broad term, in atraditional sense raytracing means actually millions of rays bouncing around the scene and back to the camera and this is too expensive in realtime exactly why its expensive than lumen.. lumen uses sdf and voxels for its tracing which is cost effective and similar to traditional raytracing techniques that worked even on a ps4

Turk1993

raytracing is a broad term, in atraditional sense raytracing means actually millions of rays bouncing around the scene and back to the camera and this is too expensive in realtime exactly why its expensive than lumen.. lumen uses sdf and voxels for its tracing which is cost effective and similar to traditional raytracing techniques that worked even on a ps4

that is a wide word, when i thought we where talking about traditional rendering techniques vs hardware rtx thats used in games like control.

sahara-desert-digging-54oe15kukbmt8opd.gif

kingyala

Banned
you should try reading instead of jumping to conclusions,..

Lumen provides two methods of ray tracing the scene: Software Ray Tracing and Hardware Ray Tracing.

• Software Ray Tracing uses Mesh Distance Fields to operate on the widest range of hardware and platforms but is limited in the types of geometry, materials, and workflows it can effectively use.
  • Hardware Ray Tracing supports a larger range of geometry types for high quality by tracing against triangles and to evaluate lighting at the ray hit instead of the lower quality Surface Cache. It requires supported video cards and systems to operate.

JimboJones

There will be a crossover point where trying to achieve improvements with rasterized hacks will actually be more expensive than raytraced methods.

Turk1993

you should try reading instead of jumping to conclusions,..

Lumen provides two methods of ray tracing the scene: Software Ray Tracing and Hardware Ray Tracing.

• Software Ray Tracing uses Mesh Distance Fields to operate on the widest range of hardware and platforms but is limited in the types of geometry, materials, and workflows it can effectively use.
  • Hardware Ray Tracing supports a larger range of geometry types for high quality by tracing against triangles and to evaluate lighting at the ray hit instead of the lower quality Surface Cache. It requires supported video cards and systems to operate.
No, you should just know when to stop when you are clearly wrong and stop flip flopping. You said cleary that those so called gimmicky games have hybrid RT while lumen is the one thats using hybrid RT. Lumen is literally ray tracing as i implified just like the games that uses them that i mentioned. Thats why i posted it in the first place since you was against RT. So take your own advice and read before jumping to conclusion.

kingyala

Banned
No, you should just know when to stop when you are clearly wrong and stop flip flopping. You said cleary that those so called gimmicky games have hybrid RT while lumen is the one thats using hybrid RT. Lumen is literally ray tracing as i implified just like the games that uses them that i mentioned. Thats why i posted it in the first place since you was against RT. So take your own advice and read before jumping to conclusion.
no games like control and rtx raytracing use traingle hardware raytracing which is more accurate and expensive and lumen uses software raytracing that uses sdf's not triangles its called hybrid because of this while rtx raytracing is called hybrid because it's mixed with traditional raster techniques ut only traces objects inside a bounding box.... lumen is doing what other traditional gi techniques have done like voxel cone tracing and the like while rtx runs on hardware and actually traces triangles more expensive more accurate and its what the topic is about here.

kingyala

Banned
He doesn't know what he is talking, he thinks that RT is Nvidia exclusive marketing gimmick.

Even Epic themeself say that games with dynamic worlds need to have compromises or you need a static world to bake everything in (which lots of games currently do). And thats where RT comes in place and makes that dynamic world look good all the time without compromise.

starts at 1:25

Understanding the difference between Lumen and Ray Tracing​

Lumen is a hybrid tracing pipeline that uses Software Ray Tracing. It traces against the depth buffer first, which we call Screen Traces, then it traces against the distance field and applies lighting to ray hits with the Surface Cache. Lumen takes any given scene and renders a very low-resolution model of it. Light behavior in this low-res model is then recorded, and a rough lightmap is created. This lightmap is then used to trace the path taken by every ray in the scene. Then, the output lighting is upscaled and displayed as a cube map. The engine does all the heavy lifting, and Lumen does not affect the assets gathered in a scene.

Thus, it is an innovative solution to the highly intensive hardware-accelerated ray tracing method. Because the Lumen method uses upscaling, flickering may occur at high resolutions. Ray Tracing does not have this drawback, as it does not use upscaling. Lumen also provides Hardware Ray Tracing. It supports a range of geometry types by tracing against triangles and evaluating lighting where the rays hit. Hardware Ray Tracing is more accurate but more expensive.

Turk1993

no games like control and rtx raytracing use traingle hardware raytracing which is more accurate and expensive and lumen uses software raytracing that uses sdf's not triangles its called hybrid because of this while rtx raytracing is called hybrid because it's mixed with traditional raster techniques ut only traces objects inside a bounding box.... lumen is doing what other traditional gi techniques have done like voxel cone tracing and the like while rtx runs on hardware and actually traces triangles more expensive more accurate and its what the topic is about here.

Understanding the difference between Lumen and Ray Tracing​

Lumen is a hybrid tracing pipeline that uses Software Ray Tracing. It traces against the depth buffer first, which we call Screen Traces, then it traces against the distance field and applies lighting to ray hits with the Surface Cache. Lumen takes any given scene and renders a very low-resolution model of it. Light behavior in this low-res model is then recorded, and a rough lightmap is created. This lightmap is then used to trace the path taken by every ray in the scene. Then, the output lighting is upscaled and displayed as a cube map. The engine does all the heavy lifting, and Lumen does not affect the assets gathered in a scene.

Thus, it is an innovative solution to the highly intensive hardware-accelerated ray tracing method. Because the Lumen method uses upscaling, flickering may occur at high resolutions. Ray Tracing does not have this drawback, as it does not use upscaling. Lumen also provides Hardware Ray Tracing. It supports a range of geometry types by tracing against triangles and evaluating lighting where the rays hit. Hardware Ray Tracing is more accurate but more expensive.
hopeless-disappointed.gif

Buggy Loop

This thread will age like milk
  • But but X game here shows how much RT is not needed! Look how pretty!
    • Ah yes, i bet it can look pretty. How many artists? How many of them spent time on lighting to even try to mimic a fraction of realism? Ask 4A Games if they ever want to not go full RT from now on after doing both render techniques.
    • They're often very static, like we're talking no time of day changes, no advanced physics like making holes in a wall, etc.
  • Nvidia propaganda!
    • That's it. You got it. Nvidia brought "maths" to computing hardware, shocking. Consortium made of the major APIs and GPU manufacturers, all agreed to Nvidia's evil plan. You got it.
  • This and that implementation sucks!
    • Oh yes, many. Most often AMD optimized or at the least console focused implementation with no efforts on PC, as in RT shadows.
  • Why even bother with RT? LOOK AT LUMEN?
    • Lumen is RT. A solution of the many possible solutions for it, much like Crytek's SVOGI solution, is an offshoot of using RT on a simplified model to accelerate it, while Nvidia goes balls deep in the accuracy, they're all RT solutions.
    • Lumen uses multiple ray-tracing methods to solve Global Illumination and Reflections. Screen Traces are done first, followed by a more reliable method.
    • Lumen uses Software Ray Tracing through Signed Distance Fields by default, but can achieve higher quality on supporting video cards when Hardware Ray Tracing is enabled. (which on PC, enabling with RT accelerated hardware is basically the same performance as software RT)
    • Because of the surface cache view, there's places where the technology fails
      • Reflections are not as accurate, as proper RT is using higher geometry, still uses SSR to help.
      • deformable / dynamic objects are not part of the GI equation
After the wave of tsunami envelops every games with a ton of UE5 games that support Lumen (RT solution), there's no going back.

Highly dynamic games where you simply can't pre-bake the lighting or have artists tune it because... well you either destroy or construct in that world, such as :

Open world games don't even look remotely the same gen with proper RT.

Dying light 2

af06pLa.png

Every dynamic GI games that have spots that should be shadowed look ridiculous in rasterization
y7qnnic.png

Metro Exodus EE
NtWLKMN.gif

Lumen OFF VS ON
FjJs_WGWIAAZ3GF

FjJtAECXoAEEjU4

FjJoxCiXoAIIS6h

FjJpZ2VWQAEcCeQ

RwdB32I.png

EX565KJ.png

MaKTaiL

Ray traced global illumination is the only Ray Tracing that matters and even then EPIC already has a cost effective similar solution with Lumen which with enough updates can completely fill that job.

kingyala

Banned
i see ur just a troll...
This thread will age like milk
  • But but X game here shows how much RT is not needed! Look how pretty!
    • Ah yes, i bet it can look pretty. How many artists? How many of them spent time on lighting to even try to mimic a fraction of realism? Ask 4A Games if they ever want to not go full RT from now on after doing both render techniques.
    • They're often very static, like we're talking no time of day changes, no advanced physics like making holes in a wall, etc.
  • Nvidia propaganda!
    • That's it. You got it. Nvidia brought "maths" to computing hardware, shocking. Consortium made of the major APIs and GPU manufacturers, all agreed to Nvidia's evil plan. You got it.
  • This and that implementation sucks!
    • Oh yes, many. Most often AMD optimized or at the least console focused implementation with no efforts on PC, as in RT shadows.
  • Why even bother with RT? LOOK AT LUMEN?
    • Lumen is RT. A solution of the many possible solutions for it, much like Crytek's SVOGI solution, is an offshoot of using RT on a simplified model to accelerate it, while Nvidia goes balls deep in the accuracy, they're all RT solutions.
    • Lumen uses multiple ray-tracing methods to solve Global Illumination and Reflections. Screen Traces are done first, followed by a more reliable method.
    • Lumen uses Software Ray Tracing through Signed Distance Fields by default, but can achieve higher quality on supporting video cards when Hardware Ray Tracing is enabled. (which on PC, enabling with RT accelerated hardware is basically the same performance as software RT)
    • Because of the surface cache view, there's places where the technology fails
      • Reflections are not as accurate, as proper RT is using higher geometry, still uses SSR to help.
      • deformable / dynamic objects are not part of the GI equation
After the wave of tsunami envelops every games with a ton of UE5 games that support Lumen (RT solution), there's no going back.

Highly dynamic games where you simply can't pre-bake the lighting or have artists tune it because... well you either destroy or construct in that world, such as :

Open world games don't even look remotely the same gen with proper RT.

Dying light 2

af06pLa.png

Every dynamic GI games that have spots that should be shadowed look ridiculous in rasterization
y7qnnic.png

[/URL]

Metro Exodus EE
NtWLKMN.gif

Lumen OFF VS ON
FjJs_WGWIAAZ3GF

FjJtAECXoAEEjU4

FjJoxCiXoAIIS6h

FjJpZ2VWQAEcCeQ

RwdB32I.png

EX565KJ.png

lumen is not hardware raytracing and doesnt trace traingles its a hybrid raytracing that uses sdf hence why it is more performant than ur hardware rt solutions that tank frame rates.. what lumen is doing is similar to voxel cone tracing

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. this completely changes the look of the level. What were the devs doing originally lmao. Did they forget something called shadows?

RwdB32I.png

EX565KJ.png

What game is it?

Buggy Loop

i see ur just a troll...

lumen is not hardware raytracing and doesnt trace traingles its a hybrid raytracing that uses sdf hence why it is more performant than ur hardware rt solutions that tank frame rates.. what lumen is doing is similar to voxel cone tracing

Its raytracing

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Even Nvidia is using approximations to accelerate the process compared to "true ray tracing" or we wouldn't even be having "real-time" RTX in games even now.

You made your thread on ray tracing, not this solution or the ray tracing that is hitting triangles rather than mesh. I don't give a fuck, devs don't give a fuck, it's ray tracing. Teardown is full blown software ray tracing too. Crytek's solution too.

Solutions ! Gosh, imagine that, taking ray tracing maths you want and implement them how you want on a math focused machine (computers). Incredible.

This is ray tracing too

Turk1993

i see ur just a troll...

Only one trolling is you, you are literally contradicting yourself.

Its raytracing

Even Nvidia is using approximations to accelerate the process compared to "true ray tracing" or we wouldn't even be having "real-time" RTX in games even now.

You made your thread on ray tracing, not this solution or the ray tracing that is hitting triangles rather than mesh. I don't give a fuck, devs don't give a fuck, it's ray tracing. Teardown is full blown software ray tracing too. Crytek's solution too.

Solutions ! Gosh, imagine that, taking ray tracing maths you want and implement them how you want on a math focused machine (computers). Incredible.

This is ray tracing too

This guy must be trolling or he can't read properly. He is saying ray tracing is ray tracing but not ray tracing.
the-interview-james-franco.gif

Buggy Loop

Wow. this completely changes the look of the level. What were the devs doing originally lmao. Did they forget something called shadows?

RwdB32I.png

EX565KJ.png

What game is it?

Satisfactory

Again a game that is highly dynamic since its a building game. There's no "artists" that can make sense of these open world building games and start to pencil shadows at every possible configurations.

For sure a linear/non dynamic game, rasterization has life for that still, with many artists. Still, at the bare minimum, after UE5 everything will follow. Hardware Lumen has no penalty vs software Lumen on PC, next gen consoles will simply follow suit and have hardware Lumen for better accuracy.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The literal first sentence. In red for emphasis...

kingyala

Banned
Its raytracing

This is ray tracing too

this thread is about hardware rt... not about just any raytracing technique... the op is tired of hardware rt being pushed in games to no visual gain and hes used examples such as re4 which tanks frame rates for pointless rt... and im explaining that games dont need expensive hardware rt at the moment traditional raster adn hybrid rt techniques work
just as good.. and as ive explained lumen doesnt trace triangles like how hardware rt does its exactly why its so performant similar to older dynamic gi techniques... the whole argument in this thread is whether hardware rt is essential vs better performance.. and the answer is no

Turk1993

this thread is about hardware rt... not about just any raytracing technique... the op is tired of hardware rt being pushed in games to no visual gain and hes used examples such as re4 which tanks frame rates for pointless rt... and im explaining that games dont need expensive hardware rt at the moment traditional raster adn hybrid rt techniques work
just as good.. and as ive explained lumen doesnt trace triangles like how hardware rt does its exactly why its so performant similar to older dynamic gi techniques... the whole argument in this thread is whether hardware rt is essential vs better performance.. and the answer is no
it-keeps-going-continuos.gif

kingyala

Banned
Only one trolling is you, you are literally contradicting yourself.

This guy must be trolling or he can't read properly. He is saying ray tracing is ray tracing but not ray tracing.
the-interview-james-franco.gif
your trolling becuase your not explaining anything other than reposting your gif collection... time and time again.. u just look immature... your interested in arguing about semantics rather than the actual topic... in your reasoning games are also cgi just as pre renderd films because they are computer graphics and all phones are personal computers because they are computers!... the argument is about hardware rt vs hybrid rt/ traditional raster techniques so get with it and stop slapping out gifs becuase u cant explain yourself

What's hilarious to me is the difference between Metro's original ray tracing mode and the enhanced edition. The original mode was the most advanced and incredible thing out there and the EE just shits all over it and runs better.

Top Bottom