• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 delay semi official

B'z-chan

Banned
Have we not gone through this. What is this the 3rd thread this week? We'll know when we know. And right now we dont know all Capcom keeps saying is they are confident that it will come out winter 04.

Give it a rest, its getting crowded in here. I need some air to breathe damnit.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
B'z-chan said:
Have we not gone through this. What is this the 3rd thread this week? We'll know when we know. And right now we dont know all Capcom keeps saying is they are confident that it will come out winder 04.

Gamestop changed the date just yesterday,when a date shows up on all of those sites its allways true,i dont remember a single case of all three being wrong.

BuddyC

B'z-chan said:
Have we not gone through this. What is this the 3rd thread this week? We'll know when we know. And right now we dont know all Capcom keeps saying is they are confident that it will come out winter 04.

Winter 04 would include Jan or Feb of 2005, oddly enough.

ge-man

Some one on the IGN boards metioned that date at the IGN gamestore has also changed. I expect an offical announcement pretty soon--probably next week.

B'z-chan

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Winter 04 would include Jan or Feb of 2005, oddly enough.
Thats what i was meaning to get across there. In most calanders for buisness Fiscal Winter 04 wouldnt end to around then right?

Its a good move might actually give it a chance with freaking Halo 2 coming out in novemeber. I'm wondering how much MS is gonna put into marketing it. Media saturation is not a good thing when your trying to release a game. And you dont have the budget to compete with your rivals.

Ge-man: IGN gamestore = Gamestop have a nice day.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Meh indeed, but I believe it. Eugh, its not like I care though. I want RE4, but there is just too much coming out at the very end of this year.

I don't see this game coming out until March or April 2005, but thats just what I think.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not a big deal to me. There are already too many incredible looking games slated for this year, so losing one isn't a huge blow. I'm just glad it isn't something like Halo 2 or MGS3 that was pushed back...

BuddyC

B'z-chan said:
Thats what i was meaning to get across there. In most calanders for buisness Fiscal Winter 04 wouldnt end to around then right?

Its a good move might actually give it a chance with freaking Halo 2 coming out in novemeber. I'm wondering how much MS is gonna put into marketing it. Media saturation is not a good thing when your trying to release a game. And you dont have the budget to compete with your rivals.

Ge-man: IGN gamestore = Gamestop have a nice day.

If I remember right, the 2004 fiscal year doesn't end until March.

As for Halo 2, MS said a few words about the ad campaign at their E3 Press Conference. While I can't remember specifics, multi-million dollar, massive and extensive all come to mind.

AirBrian

I think you guys are comparing two different things. Winter 2004 most likely refers to the actual Winter season starting in 2004 and ending in February 2005.

Fiscally, companies' determine their own FY, but it seems like more are from October to September. Nintendo's ends in March and I'm not sure about Capcom. However, one thing is consistant across 95% of all companies -- the quarters end in Dec., Mar., Jun., and Sep. regardless of the fiscal year end.

Games I will probably purchase this year:

Tales of Symphonia
Pikmin 2
Donkey Konga
Paper Mario 2
Starfox
Metroid Prime 2
Baten Kaitos

Nevermind the fact that the DS might even be launching this year. What will I do!? Heh.

Mashing

One game is delayed and suddenly the lineup isn't so hot? Look at it this way, Metroid Prime 2 will do better now as it won't have to compete with RE4

If DS releases this year with either Animal Crossing DS, Wario Ware DS, or Metroid Hunters, you can bet that my "games to purchase" list will shrink significantly.

One game falling back a little bit isn't the end of the world.

Mrbob

JasoNsider said:
If DS releases this year with either Animal Crossing DS, Wario Ware DS, or Metroid Hunters, you can bet that my "games to purchase" list will shrink significantly.

Not for Nintendo fans. RE4 is supposed to catch the attention of non Nintendo fans. Now it is gone and basically the only thing Nintendo has left is Metroid Prime 2.

ge-man

JasoNsider said:

You forget that you're on the GAF. Every delay must translate into Nintendo=Doomed.

Culex

Banned
Delaying this past Christmas is a horrid thing to do. I don't care if there's less competition next year, this is THE game to get. It has all the publicity, all the hype, GOTS for some at E3, and was a holiday-esque title. I don't want this to turn into another Ninja Gaiden. God only knows the oodles that game would have sold if it had made it's November deadline.

:(

ge-man

Culex said:
Delaying this past Christmas is a horrid thing to do. I don't care if there's less competition next year, this is THE game to get. It has all the publicity, all the hype, GOTS for some at E3, and was a holiday-esque title. I don't want this to turn into another Ninja Gaiden. God only knows the oodles that game would have sold if it had made it's November deadline.

As much people are going to make this out to be bad for sales, I have no problem. If they need time to polish the game, then please take what they need. I don't want to go through another Christmas were half of the games I rented and bought were plauged with bugs and rushed design.

Well, that's one expected delay down. Jade Empire should be next.

Still plenty of good stuff coming on all the systems. I'm taking the opposite route and likely holding off on a DS purchase because I'll be busy with all these games over the holidays.

Slo

Fine by me. It was going to be difficult finding $99 for a Gamecube this fall with all the great games coming for other platforms already.

dark10x

This fall is going to be the best gaming fall that we've seen since 1998. Losing one good game isn't a big deal...

Culex said:

I know I'm probably in the wrong forum to be saying this (being sales-age and all ;)) but delaying this game won't make it any less fun for you, the gamer. You don't think that Capcom and Nintendo know about the potential sales loss by pushing it past christmas?

As a gamer, you will have plenty of games to play this year. In fact, you will have more than you could probably afford. That is the important thing to look at here.

Mrbob

Catchpenny said:
Well, that's one expected delay down. Jade Empire should be next.

Still plenty of good stuff coming on all the systems. I'm taking the opposite route and likely holding off on a DS purchase because I'll be busy with all these games over the holidays.

Jade Empire has already been pushed to 2005.

This fall is going to be the best gaming fall that we've seen since 1998. Losing one good game isn't a big deal...

I think this is the beginnig of one of many titles getting pushed to 2005. Publishers are probably going to start getting cold feet when they realize their xmas title has to go head to head with Halo 2 or GTA:SA.

Starfox is made by Namco. RE4 is developed by Capcom. Nobody sits at the command position at Nintendo and says "Well, we'll delay RE4 but not Starfox." It doesn't work that way.

This really isn't such a bad thing. In fact, I almost welcome the idea of keeping the beginning of next year alive with titles like Timesplitters 3, RE4, Geist, Minish Cap, etc. It should be a great change of pace from the normal drought.

Mrbob

JasoNsider said:
Starfox is made by Namco. RE4 is developed by Capcom. Nobody sits at the command position at Nintendo and says "Well, we'll delay RE4 but not Starfox." It doesn't work that way.

This really isn't such a bad thing. In fact, I almost welcome the idea of keeping the beginning of next year alive with titles like Timesplitters 3, RE4, Geist, Minish Cap, etc. It should be a great change of pace from the normal drought.

Well, if you own an Xbox or PS2 there was no jan/feb/march drought this year either. :p

dark10x

Just out of morbid curiousity, JasoNsider...do you ONLY buy and play games on Nintendo platforms?

UFC PRIDE

For the people who say 'Well there was too many games' - not everyone owns 15 different systems. In fact - all I own right now is an NES. Nintendo fans - GC delays mean you should go buy a DS.

ge-man

Razoric said:
Keep the damage control coming N-fans. lol

What damage control? With some damn games coming in the fall and the premium I put on polished games, I welcome the delay. Sales of RE4 won't affect how I enjoy the game. Too many people loose sight of that with the console wars bullshit.

Well now at least...Resident Evil 4 will likely be THE game of February. If it's released this fall, it'll still get tons of attention, but with Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, MGS3, GTA:SA and all those, they will all be sharing the spotlight. In February, RE4 will be solely in the spotlight, and probably sell some systems too.

dark10x

UFC PRIDE said:
For the people who say 'Well there was too many games' - not everyone owns 15 different systems. In fact - all I own right now is an NES. Nintendo fans - GC delays mean you should go buy a DS.

Errr...what does that have to do with this holiday season?

Gamestop and EB still have Jade Empire as a 2004 release...was there an announcement recently? Regardless, I'd be shocked if it actually did come out this year.

Mrbob said:
I think this is the beginnig of one of many titles getting pushed to 2005. Publishers are probably going to start getting cold feet when they realize their xmas title has to go head to head with Halo 2 or GTA:SA.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to let your title slip when you look at the competition. I'm all for games getting pushed back and balancing out the calendar more, the holiday glut sucks. Although it is nice to pick up good titles that bombed for $10-20 a couple of months into the new year.

Well, if you own an Xbox or PS2 there was no jan/feb/march drought this year either. :p

Lame. Gamecube had Twin Snakes, Crystal Chronicles, Harvest Moon AWL and Pokemon Colosseum in that time frame. I'd hardly call that a drought...in fact, I thought it was significantly better than the PS2 lineup over the same period.

Slo

I think he just means that for people not fortunate enough to own multiple systems, this is a pretty big deal.

Top Bottom