• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY 2005 is now $19.99

Mr_Furious said:
Wow. It's far too easy to get some of you guys defensive :lol

Just to make things clear: I at no point said anything of RE4's quality. It's an awesome game to say the least but I personally think that both God Of War and Guitar Hero are better games that I personally enjoyed much more. Maybe if I hadn't played the previous REs then maybe it would've faired higher for me, personally. It's just that it's like the 6th damn RE game and that Capcom has obviously had more than enough time to make this game as good as it was through trial and error of their previous efforts. But still, the fact that GoW and GH were both a lot more enjoyable for me personally and that both were original IPs makes them much more deserving of praise from me, personally.

But make no mistake. RE4 has just as many problems as either GoW or GH. It's just your various biases (or preferences) that determine your tolerance level of forgiveness for any and all.

So all of you RE4 fanwhores out there might just want to calm down a bit and realize that although my opinion(s) may differ, it was just a joke.

Although you can call me a bit of a RE4 fanwhore, most of my firsts post were just about RE4 on GAF, who also thinks GOW kicks ass (OMG!!). The contextual statement at hand in your post I actually approve greatly. Bravo!!

Kevtones

Reilly said:
please name them

Dragon Quest VIII
Guitar Hero
RE4
FE PoR
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty 2
Project Gotham Racing 3
Trauma Center
Mario and Luigi: PiT
Mario Kart DS
Castlevania DoS
SOTC
Psychonauts
Killer 7

among other IMO

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Its not that GOW wasn't a fun game---it was at parts--, its just overrated as all hell. Their were to many things wrong with it, for it to even being mentioned as Goty, let alone, action game of the year, when DMC3 and NG were released.

And yes, I was talking about how much of change of pace that last boss was. It was like it went from spamm dial a combo A, to a turn Soul Calibur(esque) knockoff.

Back to the topic...

RE4 is a must own, on any system.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Dante doesn't seem to have that problem with the DS2. :p

...Dante locks on to enemies, dude. Have you even played RE4 or a DMC game?

You know this thread is fucked up when the best posts come from demi.

Spike

SolidSnakex said:
He can still move and shoot can't he? That was my point.

Yeah, he can still move and shoot. But, he isn't able to shoot at a specific part of the anatomy, like a leg or arm. He also can't shoot at a weapon being thrown at him.

When you play MGS, and go into 1st person mode, does Snake still move and shoot?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
So all of you RE4 fanwhores out there might just want to calm down a bit and realize that although my opinion(s) may differ, my original post was just a joke.

As was my reply ;)

Problem is, there are too many zealots on here.

Spike said:
Yeah, he can still move and shoot. But, he isn't able to shoot at a specific part of the anatomy, like a leg or arm. He also can't shoot at a weapon being thrown at him.

When you play MGS, and go into 1st person mode, does Snake still move and shoot?

Nope, but I doubt you will get a complaint from SolidSnakeEx on that.

Although I don't remember being able to shoot and move at the same time ever in RE4. But I didn't care either. It was simply part of the gameplay is all. The game would have been far too damn easy if you could run and shoot at the same time most likely.

See, that's the thing. I don't think many GAFers understand what goes into gameplay decisions and why you can or can't do certain things in a game. They are done for reasons, and usually very good reasons unless the gameplay is shit. RE4 is what it is. Quit your fucking bitching about it not being what you wanted it to be. If you didn't like it, fine - you are entitled to your opinion, but don't complain and tell all of us who loved it what it should have been. Obviously your bitching won't change the game, and you can only hope that they change it in the next version (but I don't really want devs taking all their cues from people bitching on forums either). I for one am glad that these games don't bend to everyones will because they would end up being total pieces of shit as a result if they did.

if, for some reason, you decide to read every single word of my post, please understand that these are the most important words i'll say in this thread: buy resident evil 4.

it's an amazing, engaging, entertaining experience. easily worth $50. now that the price is down to $19.99, it would be criminal to deny yourself a chance to play this game.

Spike said:

I was just giving an example of a character that can move and shoot. It's not he's a definitive one of anything. We can go back to when RE only had 3 aiming ranges (straight, high and low) and they still couldn't move and shoot while SH characters could. And they were always far more action focused than SH's, especially after the first with RE2 and so on.

Spike said:

Hey if people have a problem with that, fine by me. Maybe Kojima will put in the FP mode in MGS4. But in the long run, MGS is a stealth game and is meant to be played at a slow pace unlike RE4 which is completely an action game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SolidSnakex said:
He can still move and shoot can't he? That was my point.
your point is still moot, because DMC is designed in a totally different way than RE4.

Spike said:
But, he isn't able to shoot at a specific part of the anatomy, like a leg or arm.

Uh, actually he can. Not in the same way like "FPS-esque" manual aiming, but many bosses have several target points, Cerberus for example.

Spike said:
He also can't shoot at a weapon being thrown at him.

Uh, wrong again there too buddy ;p. There are multiple bosses that Dante can deflect their weapons with via using his guns or blades. Cerberus, Lady, Vergil, Gigapede so on and so forth. Furthermore, way the fuck back in DMC1 (2001) Dante was able to deflect enemy projectiles. Basically, given the depth of DMC1 and DMC3, a lot of what you think can't be done in those games, actually can be.

Spike

C- Warrior said:
Uh, actually he can. Not in the same way like "FPS-esque" manual aiming, but many bosses have several target points, Cerberus for example.

Uh, wrong again there too buddy ;p. There are multiple bosses that Dante can deflect their weapons with via using his guns or blades. Cerberus, Lady, Vergil, Gigapede so on and so forth. Furthermore, way the fuck back in DMC1 (2001) Dante was able to deflect enemy projectiles. Basically, given the depth of DMC1 and DMC3, a lot of what you think can't be done in those games, actually can be.

Actually, I just picked up my first DMC game today, thanks to you!! Liking it so far, but I'm still getting the hang of it.

I just fought Cerberus, and yeah you can lock onto different parts of the anatomy. But you have to lock onto it.

So, in DMC1, I can actually deflect enemy weapons and stuff? Damn, I better go pick this one up too. :lol

Actually, I've been looking for a copy of RE4 for the Cube around my parts, and no stores have any copies in stock. Is this normal, maybe because of Christmas? Should I just go ahead and get the PS2 version as there is plenty of that around?

Oh, and before anyone says to order online, I can't. No $$$, No Credit Card. Have to do this via trade-ins.

Error

winter said:
Yes it is.
B0002A6CNW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Error

demi said:
OMG YOU SEE THIS POST

REGULAR EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPERIRO
I didn't put the SE becuase that one was release in 2006 and... I wanted to be fair.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've always wondered: Is there a definitive organization that has to award a game GOTY before it is commonly known as the GOTY, or is it just based on frequency of nomination and subsequent win? I mean, we can't all be reading the same site for awards...can we?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
TheTrin said:
I've always wondered: Is there a definitive organization that has to award a game GOTY before it is commonly known as the GOTY, or is it just based on frequency of nomination and subsequent win? I mean, we can't all be reading the same site for awards...can we?

AIAS

RE4 leads all games with 22 nominations

cvxfreak

TheTrin said:

RE4 is almost unanimous in its GOTY 2005 status. IGN's editors disagreed, but their readers chose differently. There's always that awards organization, but they ruined their reputation by not selecting it (in fact, it had to respond to criticism).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've known that RE4 was unanimous (and I agree), but I was asking more from the opinion of the posters here.

cvxfreak said:
RE4 is almost unanimous in its GOTY 2005 status. IGN's editors disagreed, but their readers chose differently. There's always that awards organization, but they ruined their reputation by not selecting it (in fact, it had to respond to criticism).

Now when you say "ruined their reputation," do you mean "ruined" as in "stink eye from internet armchair analysts and disgruntled fanboys" or "ruined" as in "the entire organization was disbanded and its board members have to turn tricks in dark alleyways to make ends meet while the CEO suddenly disappeared from existence?" If it's anything close to the latter, I'd very much appreciate a link to read up on it and the hilarious commentary from onlookers.

cvxfreak

Attack You said:
Now when you say "ruined their reputation," do you mean "ruined" as in "stink eye from internet armchair analysts and disgruntled fanboys" or "ruined" as in "the entire organization was disbanded and its board members have to turn tricks in dark alleyways to make ends meet while the CEO suddenly disappeared from existence?" If it's anything close to the latter, I'd very much appreciate a link to read up on it and the hilarious commentary from onlookers.

Go look up their response to the criticism. It was clearly big enough for the organization to reply. Maybe "ruined their reputation" can only apply to a specialized group of gamers, but they have much of the other major gaming media behind them when they say that RE4 should have been nominated.

cvxfreak said:
Go look up their response to the criticism. It was clearly big enough for the organization to reply. Maybe "ruined their reputation" can only apply to a specialized group of gamers, but they have much of the other major gaming media behind them when they say that RE4 should have been nominated.

But, I don't know who "they" are. I really don't visit any gaming sites anymore. :( I should've asked more directly. Was it the AIAS? It looks like their voting hasn't closed yet, according to their website...?

Edit: Never mind. I did a search and found this thread. Holy shit... :lol

cvxfreak

Attack You said:
But, I don't know who "they" are. I really don't visit any gaming sites anymore. :( I should've asked more directly. Was it the AIAS? It looks like their voting hasn't closed yet, according to their website...?

Yeah, the AIAS. RE4 hasn't made the final nominee list, and that really damaged its standings among many gamers here and in no doubt a lot of the major publications that really gave the game tons and tons of praise; hell, I was SHOCKED it was Nintendo Power's #2 game of all time behind OoT, and that was user voted.

The same goes for the other websites that awarded RE4 GOTY, like GameSpot (IIRC) and it was IGN's #2 and IGN Reader's #1. SpikeTV awarded it GOTY. Even Game Rankings, which has BOTH versions of RE4 in its top 10 ever... It all just stacks up and makes them look bad in the end. They claim that Capcom's lack of membership is the reason... but Viewtiful Joe made it.

Truth be told it's not like RE4 should automatically win it. GOW sounds like a true candidate. But no RE4 in the nomination? Just not cool at all.

bill0527

Damn.. I clicked on this thread hoping to see a picture of God of War.

I want that game bad, but this late, I might as well wait for the price drop.

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, the AIAS. RE4 hasn't made the final nominee list, and that really damaged its standings among many gamers here and in no doubt a lot of the major publications that really gave the game tons and tons of praise; hell, I was SHOCKED it was Nintendo Power's #2 game of all time behind OoT, and that was user voted.

The same goes for the other websites that awarded RE4 GOTY, like GameSpot (IIRC) and it was IGN's #2 and IGN Reader's #1. SpikeTV awarded it GOTY. Even Game Rankings, which has BOTH versions of RE4 in its top 10 ever... It all just stacks up and makes them look bad in the end. They claim that Capcom's lack of membership is the reason... but Viewtiful Joe made it.

Truth be told it's not like RE4 should automatically win it. GOW sounds like a true candidate. But no RE4 in the nomination? Just not cool at all.

Mmm, now that's good drama. Thanks for getting me up to speed on that.

And, man, going by the finalists... I feel dirty playing the "they hate the Japanese" card, but if I ever wanted to bury an entire game dev community in irrelevance, saddling them with the blame for Nintendogs would be the way to do it.

Thaedolus

Well I just ordered from EBgames. Now I need to figure out if I should cancel my amazon.com order or just keep it sealed for all eternity..

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Better buy this soon if you dont want the players choice tag

http://cube.ign.com/articles/684/684675p1.html

January 31, 2006 - Capcom this morning announced that its hit survival horror sequel, Resident Evil 4, has been inducted into Nintendo's Player's Choice GameCube program. As a result, the title has received a new suggested retail price of only $19.99, effective immediately.

Resident Evil 4 stars hero Leon S. Kennedy on a quest to rescue the President's kidnapped daughter from a mysterious organization somewhere in Europe. To do that, the trained operative must journey into the heart of an eerie village, do battle with a wide variety of evil enemies, and more. The title, which reinvents the survival horror genre and features some of the best visuals on any console, earned one of the highest ratings ever given to a GameCube title and also took home our GCN Game of the Year award.

Resident Evil 4 has sold more than 620,000 units for GameCube in the US since it released a year ago. The Resident Evil series has sold more than 27 million units worldwide.

Jiggy

Wario64 said:
Better buy this soon if you dont want the players choice tag
Oddly enough, the only reason I'm even considering buying it is because now it'll have that stupid yellow side and Soul Calibur II wouldn't be alone anymore.

Now Nintendo just needs to finally stick Mario Power Tennis, Paper Mario 2, and Pikmin 2 in the Player's Choice category so I can pick those up as well...

Reilly

Wario64 said:
Resident Evil 4 stars hero Leon S. Kennedy on a quest to rescue the President's kidnapped daughter from a mysterious organization somewhere in Europe.

NICE PLOT! :lol

Top Bottom