• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 delay semi official

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm all for games getting pushed back and balancing out the calendar more, the holiday glut sucks.

I'm not...

I'm finally leaving for Japan sometime after this holiday season, so I want to grab as much as possible. :p

BuddyC

Catchpenny said:
Well, that's one expected delay down. Jade Empire should be next.

During my appointment with BioWare at E3, I was informed that Jade Empire would be a Q1 2005 release.

Solid

BuddyChrist83 said:
During my appointment with BioWare at E3, I was informed that Jade Empire would be a Q1 2005 release.
Q1?! WTF... the fall is packed and so is Q1 2005.. Kameo, Conker, Jade Empire, RE4 + more.

:( :)

Deg

Banned
Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth said:
Well, This certainly won't help Nintendo's situation. Competition is a bitch.

Vaga i think you mean Capcom as well as Nintendo ;) Nintendo have the least worries about delays however looking at what Sony and MS are and have delayed.

The Euro date is 2005 so it wouldnt surpise. I dont want them to comprimise so taking their time is a good thing in this case. This is the future of the series and Capcom cant afford to just sit there, they better work hard on it. The RE movie will clash against the direction Capcom are now going in so i think that helps too.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Good. I'm really useless and can't stop myself buying games I want when they come out, even thought I don't have time to play them all at Xmas, so the delay will save my wallet slightly, what with all the other games coming this year.

Not that I'm entirely sure I want RE4 yet, I really haven't liked past REs at all. It seems completely different though, I'll wait on the reviews and final impressions.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Resident Evil 4 was the only game worth playing on the GC this year! Its Fall and Winter lineup is now doomed!! WHO CARES ABOUT MP2 AND PAPER MARIO 2 AND STARFOX AND BAITEN KAITOS AND TALES OF SYMPHONIA!! HRM HARN

Come on, I'm sure Xbox fans would frantically be busting out lists of other quality Xbox software to be released this Fall and Winter if Halo 2 was delayed, too.

Teddman said:
Excellent rebuttal, Teddman.

Renegade

Banned
Deg said:
Omarosa i think you mean Capcom as well as Nintendo ;) Nintendo have the least worries about delays however looking at what Sony and MS are and have delayed.

The Euro date is 2005 so it wouldnt surpise. I dont want them to comprimise so taking their time is a good thing in this case. This is the future of the series and Capcom cant afford to just sit there, they better work hard on it. The RE movie will clash against the direction Capcom are now going in so i think that helps too.
No, Capcom's worries all lie in not hitting their forecast goals. Nintendo has to worry about their biggest title of they year not hitting the year at all when competition is hardest. Xbox is at it's peak, PS2 has a strong lineup. Nintendo has a lineup of games where all in franchise have underperformed this generation, including Metroid Prime, Resident Evil and StarFox. All 3 previous entries of those franchises this generation have underperformed. Sony has 2 OVER-performers set this year and Microsoft has a couple as well. The Xbox's momentum has been high all year while it's been hum-drum for it's nearest competitor. Make the connection yourself. Be the Strong, black person you are on the inside.

dark10x

Mrbob said:
Baiten Katos is 2005 I believe???!?

I hope not.

MP2, BK, and RE4 were the only GC games I wanted this fall (ToS is not a fall game...). If RE4 and BK are both 2005, I'm not going to be too happy...

RE4 delay = great news!

I don't get it. You people (me included) bitch about the sheer volume of games that release during the holiday season and how you can't afford them all yet when one manages to get pushed past (which will undoubtedly yield more sales potential) you still complain. Huh?

Hero

While it would have been nice to have RE4 this holiday seasaon, I really don't know where it would have fit among the GCN line up. With Paper Mario 2, Star Fox, and Metroid Prime 2, RE4 probably wouldn't have gotten the spotlight as far as marketing goes. By delaying it 'till 05, this guarentees RE4 will be the only game worth getting in January/February.

dark10x said:
Just out of morbid curiousity, JasoNsider...do you ONLY buy and play games on Nintendo platforms?

No, not really. I do get to play some games on other platforms, but not nearly as many as the Nintendo platform ones. I do play games like Ninja Gaiden, Halo, MGS, GTA, etc. Heh. Nice try though ;).

If this was the days of the N64 (talking only N64 here) with only a shred of games even worth playing in a year, it would be a problem. We've moved past that, and have tons of games to play on the second half of the year. I'm not going to be losing sleep over this, that much is for sure.

I almost forgot: Viewtiful Joe 2 is also coming out early next year. So that makes Viewtiful Joe 2, Timesplitters 3, Resident Evil 4, Geist, Minish Cap, and more for early next year (assuming this delay is true.)

human5892 said:
WHO CARES ABOUT MP2 AND PAPER MARIO 2

*Raises hand*

Me, I do.

Both of those games are absolutely gorgeous in their own right. And, in all fairness, there's not much outside of Halo 2 I even care about when it comes to the Xbox Christmas line-up. So, it's a bit unfair to immediately dismiss the quality of Nintendo's holiday season based on one game when there's going to be at least a handful of quality titles to hold gamers off until Resident Evil 4's release.

You're obviously being sarcastic and making a point, but I have a feeling there are actually people with that opinion, so I figured it'd be a good point to play off of. The other GC games you listed are exciting as well, but honestly, if only these two were released, I would still be happy.

jedimike

Mr_Furious said:
RE4 delay = great news!

I don't get it. You people (me included) bitch about the sheer volume of games that release during the holiday season and how you can't afford them all yet when one manages to get pushed past (which will undoubtedly yield more sales potential) you still complain. Huh?

Big name games are harder to swallow, because they have the potential to damage a portion of the holiday sales. The gamers in all of us don't really care... there are more than enough games on any system to keep us occupied through the delays.

Culex

Banned
I still don't see how this is good news. Everyone is stating how crowded the fall lineup is and it's good it got pushed out since there's no room. Look all the titles delayed to quarter 1 2005: Conker, Kameo, Mechassault, KOTOR 2, Jade Empire, Fire Emblem, Baten Kaitos, and supposedly now RE4. It's just as crowed, if not MORE crowded than this fall. How can having RE4 there be any better?

dark10x

JasoNsider said:
No, not really. I do get to play some games on other platforms, but not nearly as many as the Nintendo platform ones. I do play games like Ninja Gaiden, Halo, MGS, GTA, etc. Heh. Nice try though ;).

If this was the days of the N64 (talking only N64 here) with only a shred of games even worth playing in a year, it would be a problem. We've moved past that, and have tons of games to play on the second half of the year. I'm not going to be losing sleep over this, that much is for sure.

I almost forgot: Viewtiful Joe 2 is also coming out early next year. So that makes Viewtiful Joe 2, Timesplitters 3, Resident Evil 4, Geist, Minish Cap, and more for early next year (assuming this delay is true.)

So, what are you saying? You only play the "BIG" games on other systems then? That's a shame, because there are so many high quality, yet unknown titles on the PS2...

It just seemed odd to me that you ONLY listed Nintendo games previously.

Link316

Banned
the delay won't affect Nintendo fans, yeah the GC might still have their MP2, MP6 and Paper Mario 2 for the holidays, however isn't about the Nintendo fans, RE4 was labeled by some as the "game" that would attract non-GC owners and RE fans to buy it and to give it a more "mature" image, so yeah this delay really hurts in that regard

andthebeatgoeson

JasoNsider said:
Starfox is made by Namco. RE4 is developed by Capcom. Nobody sits at the command position at Nintendo and says "Well, we'll delay RE4 but not Starfox." It doesn't work that way.

This really isn't such a bad thing. In fact, I almost welcome the idea of keeping the beginning of next year alive with titles like Timesplitters 3, RE4, Geist, Minish Cap, etc. It should be a great change of pace from the normal drought.

Aw shit, all those are coming out next year? Fuck, I thought the early spring was gonna be catch up time. Hell, I'll be catching up till da summer.

Deg

Banned
Another thing however is that if Capcom want to capture the largest possible sales a christmas release would be best. However MP2, PM2 need to be launched clearly apart and it doesnt look like Nintendo is budging. Then again a spring summer release could be good as the userbase will have grown after chirstamas and its not so packed(hopefully).

dark10x said:
So, what are you saying? You only play the "BIG" games on other systems then? That's a shame, because there are so many high quality, yet unknown titles on the PS2...

It just seemed odd to me that you ONLY listed Nintendo games previously.

I know, that's why I'm hoping to pick up a PS2 this year if at all possible. However, if the DS gets released this year then there is no way in hell I'm going to pass up a chance at that system to get a PS2.

Plus, I listed all those games because I only own a GameCube at the moment (even though some friends have other systems.) It doesn't mean I'm not going to be going ape when MGS3 arrives :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Deepthroat said:
Q1?! WTF... the fall is packed and so is Q1 2005.. Kameo, Conker, Jade Empire, RE4 + more.

:( :)
Two games in 1 quarter from Rare? ;) j/k it actually wouldn't surprise me, both are looking near complete.

About RE4 this game is going to be great. I will still buy and enjoy it. And it being delayed doesn't affect that. It may affect Nintendo's winter lineup but as others have pointed out November was packed and it probably would have got lost in the shuffle (thats not to say Nintendo wouldn' have welcomed it in the shuffle, because they should)

dark10x

I know, that's why I'm hoping to pick up a PS2 this year if at all possible. However, if the DS gets released this year then there is no way in hell I'm going to pass up a chance at that system to get a PS2.

You serious? Yikes...

I didn't even think anyone was all that serious about the DS.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
...did you miss the huge PSP vs. DS topics? Did you think we were just messing about?

Oh and 1st half 2005 will be the best 1st half ever!

dark10x

Mama Smurf said:
...did you miss the huge PSP vs. DS topics? Did you think we were just messing about?

Oh and 1st half 2005 will be the best 1st half ever!

No, I saw those threads...but I just am in shock that someone would want something like DS over PS2. Then again, I felt the same about people who wanted PS2 over Dreamcast...soooo...

Honestly, I guess it is just opinion, but for all I've said about Nintendo games, I actually enjoy my GC and a lot of the games. However, the DS is something that just seems so...worthless. Let's not get into it, though...

dark10x said:
You serious? Yikes...

I didn't even think anyone was all that serious about the DS.

I love console games, but the thought of getting portable Animal Crossing, a multiplayer metroid prime-like title, and a new Wario Ware are too much to pass up.

However, the DS is something that just seems so...worthless

You are dead to me ;)

dark10x

JasoNsider said:
I love console games, but the thought of getting portable Animal Crossing, a multiplayer metroid prime-like title, and a new Wario Ware are too much to pass up.

That's the thing...

You can already play AC, Prime 2 will HAVE multiplayer (and looks to offer more complex everything), and Wario Ware isn't something I could see anyone buying a system for (even though I like it).

That's like people passing up JSR, Skies of Arcadia, and the rest of the DC lineup in favor of a bunch of average PS2 titles...

It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Mrbob said:
Just because Ninja Gaiden got delayed doesn't mean EVERY game gets delayed.

EDIT: I mean, it's not like the game's still in development or anything. It's finished. I own it. It's just a question of finishing up the localization, which they've been working on for over a year. It's in the bag.

dark10x said:
That's the thing...

You can already play AC, Prime 2 will HAVE multiplayer (and looks to offer more complex everything), and Wario Ware isn't something I could see anyone buying a system for (even though I like it).

That's like people passing up JSR, Skies of Arcadia, and the rest of the DC lineup in favor of a bunch of average PS2 titles...

It doesn't make sense to me at all.

The DS is a different story altogether though. From what I played at E3, the games are just unlike anything I've played before. The touch screen is really fun to play wround with. Plus, the multiplayer in Metroid Hunters is far more enjoyable IMO. Prime 2 kind of dropped the ball in that regard.

2004 is turning out to be pretty sad for the Cube. Here's hoping there at least 2 or 3 great titles for the holidays. Metroid Prime 2 might be the only one from the looks of things.

dark10x

JasoNsider said:
The DS is a different story altogether though. From what I played at E3, the games are just unlike anything I've played before. The touch screen is really fun to play wround with. Plus, the multiplayer in Metroid Hunters is far more enjoyable IMO. Prime 2 kind of dropped the ball in that regard.

Well have fun then. I don't care if the touch screen is fun, the game themselves don't interest me.

I think multiplayer Metroid is simply a bad idea (and was upset that it might effect MP2's single player quality) and nothing else appeals to me. Only Wario Ware looks fun, and that isn't the type of game I can play for a while...

Oh well, enough about DS.

DrLazy

This sucks, and will hurt gamecube sales, but might actually make Nintendo more money now that Metroid Prime 2 has little competition on the cube this Christmas.

neptunes

This has nothing do with my f----- tag :mad:

The reason why I always believed BK was 2005 was because we hardly hear anything about it.

No new updates since long ago, no word translations or anything.

neptunes said:
The reason why I always believed BK was 2005 was because we hardly hear anything about it. No new updates since long ago, no word translations or anything.
That's... the royal "we"?

Top Bottom