• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REAL Media Create Charts: 24 - 30 July

nubbe

ZX might be sold out!
Link-Sang is backordered and Play-Asia hasn't shipped the order I made over a week ago.

It screams success---

nubbe said:
ZX might be sold out!
Link-Sang is backordered and Play-Asia hasn't shipped the order I made over a week ago.

It screams success---

Or small shipments.

Man, I hate ioi. Either him or his lackeys decided to join Wikipedia just to add vgcharts.org to the list of best selling games as a reference.

cvxfreak

A Link to the Past said:
Man, I hate ioi. Either him or his lackeys decided to join Wikipedia just to add vgcharts.org to the list of best selling games as a reference.

WTF? :lol

vgcharts is completely unsuitable for Wikipedia - Famitsu, Media Create, Dengeki, NPD, sites that directly use their numbers and the game companies themselves should be the only references on a website like Wikipedia.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
WTF? :lol

vgcharts is completely unsuitable for Wikipedia - Famitsu, Media Create, Dengeki, NPD, sites that directly use their numbers and the game companies themselves should be the only references on a website like Wikipedia.

Agreed. This is pretty ridiculous.

I like ioi and I appreciate how hard he works on his site and that his estimates are probably pretty good, but they're completely inappropriate there. His estimates are just guesses where he applies fixed percentages across the board because he doesn't agree with the calculations of people who have access to a lot more factual data than he does.

Someone needs to take it off there.

Actually Wikipedia has been quoting ioi's numbers for a while. When you look up Gamecube million sellers, it gave a much longer list than I expected with Super Mario Strikers, DonkeyKonga, Metroid Prime 2, etc at very high numbers.

But it was Wikipedia so I was happy. But I also noticed they referenced it from everything or nothing which explained the numbers when I saw them.

I don't know if his EU numbers are guesses/estimates/actual data though.

cvxfreak

LanceStern said:
Actually Wikipedia has been quoting ioi's numbers for a while. When you look up Gamecube million sellers, it gave a much longer list than I expected with Super Mario Strikers, DonkeyKonga, Metroid Prime 2, etc at very high numbers.

But it was Wikipedia so I was happy. But I also noticed they referenced it from everything or nothing which explained the numbers when I saw them.

I don't know if his EU numbers are guesses/estimates/actual data though.

This is the biggest evidence of Wikipedia's main fault: anyone can edit.

It works a lot of the time, but this is one case in which it rears its ugly head.

ziran

go nintendo is saying there's a pic at the end of some ds adverts showing the touch generations range has sold 12 million worldwide, but i think it's more likely in japan, since nintendogs alone is around 7 million worldwide.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=4387

is there anyone who could translate the sentence? (thanks).

i'd guess worldwide touch generations is around 20 million, maybe more.

ioi

Banned
I'm not particularly happy with some of the accusations and so forth in this thread, whoever has created a wikipedia article has done so off their own back. If they have chosen to use VGCharts as a source (which I think for WORLDWIDE SHIPMENT DATA is perfectly fine as I use the data that the publishers give out) then 1) I don't see the problem and 2) I resent being accused of 'pimping' my site when it's f**k all to do with me.

I think people are really overstepping the line just lately, and being quite personal and nasty with it as well.

cvxfreak

ziran said:
go nintendo is saying there's a pic at the end of some ds adverts showing the touch generations range has sold 12 million worldwide, but i think it's more likely in japan, since nintendogs alone is around 7 million worldwide.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=4387

is there anyone who could translate the sentence? (thanks).

i'd guess worldwide touch generations is around 20 million, maybe more.

あかげさまでシリーズ合計1200万本

It's basically saying that the series sold 12 million.

Makes perfect sense since nintendogs and English Training DS are at 1.25 Million, the Brain games at almost 8 Million total, and we have smaller games like Clubhouse games and Tetris DS (is that a part of the lineup?)

donny2112

I don't have my charts in front of me, but from memory ...

Nintendogs:
Japan - 1.3 million
USA - 2 million
Europe - 3 million

Brain Training:
Japan - 2.7 million
USA - 0.4 million
Europe - ?

Gentle Brain Training:
Japan - 1.3 million
USA - 0.1 million
Europe - ?

Brain Training 2:
Japan - 2.8 million
USA - N/A
Europe - N/A

Daredemo (Clubhouse Games):
Japan - 0.5 million
USA - N/A
Europe - N/A

English Training:
Japan - 1.2 million

That's 15.3 million worldwide (9.8 million Japan), right there. They're probably just talking about Japan, then.

ziran

thanks cvxfreak and donny2112.

yeah, i thought it was more like 12 million in japan. it's a very impressive stat.

ioi said:
I'm not particularly happy with some of the accusations and so forth in this thread, whoever has created a wikipedia article has done so off their own back. If they have chosen to use VGCharts as a source (which I think for WORLDWIDE SHIPMENT DATA is perfectly fine as I use the data that the publishers give out) then 1) I don't see the problem and 2) I resent being accused of 'pimping' my site when it's f**k all to do with me.

I think people are really overstepping the line just lately, and being quite personal and nasty with it as well.
to be honest ioi, i'd just ignore it and let it go.

you're site is a great resource and you clearly put a significant amount of time and effort into it and personally i thank you for doing so, and i think there are others who feel the same way.

for whatever reasons you're going to get flack for whatever you post on a message board, so i wouldn't take it too seriously, just know you're doing a good job which is appreciated :)

heavenly

ioi said:

They're just jealous. That's all. Just keep it moving. You're doing a great job.

jarrod

Banned
ziran said:
to be honest ioi, i'd just ignore it and let it go.

you're site is a great resource and you clearly put a significant amount of time and effort into it and personally i thank you for doing so, and i think there are others who feel the same way.

for whatever reasons you're going to get flack for whatever you post on a message board, so i wouldn't take it too seriously, just know you're doing a good job which is appreciated :)
ditto

ioi

Banned
Well using my false / made up / invented / fake / exaggerated (delete where appropriate) data we have:

Brain Training- 2.86m
Brain Training 2- 3.17m
English Training- 1.37m
Nintendogs- 1.36m
Brain Flex- 1.30m
Clubhouse Games- 0.62m
Shaberu! Oryouri Nabi- 0.21m

Total- 10.89m

Plus whatever else they counted- Travel Phrasebooks (200k)? Kanji Dictionary(175k)? etc

ziran

ioi said:
Well using my false / made up / invented / fake / exaggerated (delete where appropriate) data we have:

Brain Training- 2.86m
Brain Training 2- 3.17m
English Training- 1.37m
Nintendogs- 1.36m
Brain Flex- 1.30m
Clubhouse Games- 0.62m
Shaberu! Oryouri Nabi- 0.21m

Total- 10.89m

Plus whatever else they counted- Travel Phrasebooks (200k)? Kanji Dictionary(175k)? etc
the touch generations list in japan is pretty big:
http://touch-ds.jp/mfs/index.html

yoshi touch and go
another code
pac pix
band bros
kirby cc
ouendan
meteos
nintendogs
brain training
japanese dictionary
big brain academy
daredemo asobi taisen
touch golf
animal crossing
mario kart
english training
brain training 2
metroid pinball
kanji dictionary
translating software (thai, korean, german, etc)
tetris
nsmb
sudoku
cooking nav
opera browser

which seems way more than 12 million(?)

edit - just using guesstimates i get ~17.5 million... i wonder what nintendo was referring to?

ioi

Banned
ziran said:
the touch generations list in japan is pretty big:
http://touch-ds.jp/mfs/index.html

yoshi touch and go
another code
pac pix
band bros
kirby cc
ouendan
meteos
nintendogs
brain training
japanese dictionary
big brain academy
daredemo asobi taisen
touch golf
animal crossing
mario kart
english training
brain training 2
metroid pinball
kanji dictionary
translating software (thai, korean, german, etc)
tetris
nsmb
sudoku
cooking nav
opera browser

which seems way more than 12 million(?)

edit - just using guesstimates i get ~17.5 million... i wonder what nintendo was referring to?

They must be referring to the main percieved 'touch generation' titles. I can't imaging they are including Mario Kart, Tetris, NSMB, Kirby, Band Bros etc- that's basically all Nintendo titles and it has been reported a number of times that sales of Nintendo first party titles on DS in Japan are over 20m.

ioi said:

Don't be stupid, ioi. The people who added the link to the article came to Wikipedia for the sake of adding that link - at least, I take that from the fact that their very first edit was to add your link to the article. Why the Hell would they do that? Hmm?

Once again, since this is Sales-Age most of the time, ioi is helping not hurting. i consider his site an extension of all the sales discussion that goes on.

ioi

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
Don't be stupid, ioi. The people who added the link to the article came to Wikipedia for the sake of adding that link - at least, I take that from the fact that their very first edit was to add your link to the article. Why the Hell would they do that? Hmm?

Well I had nothing to do with it so give it a rest, ok?

ioi

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
fixed

At least, now I know someone to bitch for McLaren collapsing next season :D

It'll be their finest season yet my friend (long way to go to beat Senna / Prost 88-89 though)

Well, let's just assume that you have raving fans who will put your site up for no reason that doesn't seem to be anything other than linkspam, and just focus on the fact that you try to avoid the nasty detail that your sales figures are estimates, and especially when you posted shipped figures for Nintendo DS games and called them sold.

You dumb, ioi

ioi

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
Well, let's just assume that you have raving fans who will put your site up for no reason that doesn't seem to be anything other than linkspam, and just focus on the fact that you try to avoid the nasty detail that your sales figures are estimates, and especially when you posted shipped figures for Nintendo DS games and called them sold.

You dumb, ioi

1) I found the Wikipedia article this morning and the figures that are used in the article ARE FROM MY SITE. Therefore the source is MY SITE. Whoever has created the article has obviously used MY SITE to do so by the looks of things. And it was most definitely not me who created the article.

2) You have obviously not read any of my threads / explanations etc. The WEEKLY sales figures are 'estimated' by effectively averaging data from MC / Famitsu / Dengeki and then in cases where we have other data (usually publishers figures) adjusted to better reflect those. The worldwide software data is based on PUBLISHER DATA and is SHIPMENTS. However, in most cases the figures are going to be only a few % higher than sell through under normal circumstances, unless for some reason people f*cked up and there were lots of unsold copies of the game. For games that have stopped selling, SHIPPED = SOLD THROUGH (or close enough for the difference to be insignificant when comparing two games). Since all games in the chart are publishers shipped numbers then all games are 'tarnished' with whatever inaccuracies you think exist and so are all on an equal footing anyway. If some games were sold through and others shipped then I could see your point, since the data is used to show RELATIVE performances and all games are shown with shipped data then what is the problem?

3) I may be a little arrogant, stubborn or whatever sometimes, but I'm definitely not dumb :p

I suggest before making any more inaccurate, uneducated and stupid posts, you'd read this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95061

Maybe then you'll know what you are talking about and have some grounds from which to make a constructive criticism.

cvxfreak

I don't think anyone is arguing about credit where credit is due, but vgcharts is too unofficial to be used on the encyclopedia.

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I don't think anyone is arguing about credit where credit is due, but vgcharts is too unofficial to be used on the encyclopedia.

Well that argument is nothing to do with me. Take it up with whoever made the article. I provide a website with data which is, to the best of my knowledge, as accurate as possible. Whatever politics exist on Wikipedia or anywhere else is nothing to do with me, so back to my original reason for posting I this thread- some kind of apology or retraction would be nice for the original accusations made.

ioi, you forgot douche bag in your list of descriptors for yourself!

Why did you bring up that the article uses your figures? Have you ever considered that might make you look like an ass, because it only shows that your site merely confused people into believing that your figures are halfway reliable in the industry and they can be called fact. So, before you attempt to defend yourself, take into consideration that your vagueness towards what your site actually is caused a list of hundreds of games to be corrupted from actual data to yours (which doesn't even make an attempt to use the figures from Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Media Create, Famitsu, Dengeki or any other source when they update how much a certain game has sold).

CoolTrick

Banned
You've hit the nail on the head, ALTTP.

It's not ioi's site that bothers me, it's the constant "these are only estimates" is always put on the back burner by ioi.

It messed up wikipedia because of that.

I provide a website with data which is, to the best of my knowledge, as accurate as possible.

Herein the problem lies.

You know completely well that the most accurate data is from the weekly sales charts we get every week or month. You know it, and honestly, considering this forum is high on getting official data because it's all kept track of, you should start acting like you know that those numbers of yours are just twisted by whatever method you have. If you think it's reliable, if other people think it's reliable, fine, but it's just about as sane as saying the GameFAQs poll is a perfectly good indicator of how the industry is going. No matter what, it's pretty much lying to people when you try to disguise your figures as being just as reliable as official publications who track video game sales as a business and company. Sure, you don't think you are lying, but your complete lack of making people aware, and the Wikipedia Corruption shows it, IS misleading people, and therefore, that IS your fault.

I have no sympathy for you until you make it abundantly clear that your numbers are not as reliable as MC, Famitsu, Dengeki, NPD, etc. Those are the official sources.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
CoolTrick said:
You've hit the nail on the head, ALTTP.

It's not ioi's site that bothers me, it's the constant "these are only estimates" is always put on the back burner by ioi.

I have no sympathy for you until you make it abundantly clear that your numbers are not as reliable as MC, Famitsu, Dengeki, NPD, etc.
You do understand that MC, Famitsu, Dengeki and NPD are also "only estimates." Ioi has explained the source of his numbers so many damn times that anybody who still doesn't understand where they come from is a ****ing moron! He shouldn't have to put up a disclaimer every single time. His numbers are reliable enough. If you don't like him posting his sales numbers in a sales thread then why are you even in here? Give him a break.

Jokeropia

It seems to me that the people who are bitching about ioi's numbers are the same people who obsess about whether a Media-Create total is 2,986,346 or 2,986,436 (or whatever) as if exact numbers like that are ever accurate.

Furthermore, it bears repeating that the worldwide totals are very official shipment numbers from the publishers themselves which are clearly more accurate than cumulative totals from various trackers, especially for older (and/or sold out) games.

Oh, I didn't know that! Great argument, because Media Create, a PROFESSIONAL COMPANY which makes estimates, ioi's word is equal to theirs! Except thast no one should give a shit about what he says.

And no, people are not idiots for not realizing these numbers, which ioi vaguely states are estimates deep down on his web site, are estimates.

Can someone just ban the word vgcharts from NeoGAF already?

Jokeropia

A Link to the Past said:
Media Create, a PROFESSIONAL COMPANY which makes estimates
So are Famitsu and Dengeki, yet they often disagree with each other more than ioi, as ioi's weekly Japanese numbers is an average of all three. (Sometimes adjusted to reflect shipments, which are the only truly official numbers we get.)
A Link to the Past said:
And no, people are not idiots for not realizing these numbers, which ioi vaguely states are estimates deep down on his web site, are estimates.
Considering that ioi not only rounds the numbers to the nearest 250 to emphasize this but also that the only way to ever get something other than estimates is the direct publisher data, I'd personally disagree with that.

Jokeropia said:
So are Famitsu and Dengeki, yet they often disagree with each other more than ioi, as ioi's weekly Japanese numbers is an average of all three. (Sometimes adjusted to reflect shipments, which are the only truly official numbers we get.)Considering that ioi not only rounds the numbers to the nearest 250 to emphasize this but also that the only way to ever get something other than estimates is the direct publisher data, I'd personally disagree with that.

...*face palm*

Yes, PROFESSIONAL WEBSITES DISAGREE WITH EACHOTHER. Is there a point to saying Mr. No One Gives A Shit About What He Says ioi disagrees with people whose job it is to estimate numbers?

And they think that Media Create is spot on accurate. The fact that PROFESSIONALS use estimates has nothing to do with the fact that ioi parades his numbers as fact (and no, don't bring up any of the crap you mentioned in the previous post - how is the fact that he rounds his numbers not a vague fact?).

Jokeropia

A Link to the Past said:
...*face palm*

Yes, PROFESSIONAL WEBSITES DISAGREE WITH EACHOTHER. Is there a point to saying Mr. No One Gives A Shit About What He Says ioi disagrees with people whose job it is to estimate numbers?
What the hell? It's not that ioi disagrees with MD/Dengeki/Famitsu, it's that he uses an average of all three. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.
And they think that Media Create is spot on accurate. The fact that PROFESSIONALS use estimates has nothing to do with the fact that ioi parades his numbers as fact (and no, don't bring up any of the crap you mentioned in the previous post - how is the fact that he rounds his numbers not a vague fact?).
Eh? He doesn't present them as fact anymore than anyone else does. Just because you don't post a disclaimer saying that they are estimates every freaking time (is this ever done in these MD threads? No, instead there are often discussions about statistically negligible differences in people's cumulative totals) it doesn't mean you pass them off as fact, especially considering that they are rounded. Surely you understand why a rounded number is less likely to be construed as exact than one that is written out to single digits?

donny2112

CoolTrick said:

Yes, because Wikipedia was a bastion for 100% truth before that.

CoolTrick said:
Herein the problem lies.

You know completely well that the most accurate data is from the weekly sales charts we get every week or month.

The ironic thing is, that based on past history and shipments, ioi has proved that claim false a number of times. The tracking sites are sets of estimates. If they were the most accurate sources of sales numbers, they would agree with each other.

The idea then comes up, "What is the most accurate data source?" and ioi has decided that to be publisher shipped figures. That's his take. I'm fine with that being his take. It definitely has the advantage of being the maximum possible sales figure.

A lot of people on the boards have decided to just plainly use the tracking sites' numbers with the understanding that they are an estimate. For the most part, I'm with that group.

It doesn't make ioi's numbers less meaningful, but you have to understand the meaning of his numbers. The problem I have with other places sourcing ioi's numbers is that they aren't referencing them as "shipped" but usually as "sold." ioi himself would tell you that's incorrect, but without that being plainly specified on his site, non-GAF members are getting confused.

Again, as I've said quite a few times, ioi's numbers are fine as long as you understand where he gets them.

Top Bottom