• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Drewpee

Banned
I wonder how many Sony fans became semi soured on the game after the Digital Foundry video. If you have it on PS did the digital Foundry video affect your thinking going into the release of the game? I don't mean that it ruined your enjoyment of the game completely but I'd have to imagine it was an unpleasant surprise to see how big the disparity was between the X and PS.

I have an X so I was on the other side of this comparison. It did make me anticipate the game that much more (did not think they could do native 4k on console) and knowing that I am playing the best version does helpe enjoy it more.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Reading the first impressions here I'm glad I waited and didn't buy into the hype.

I'll wait for a patch or 2 and till honeymoon period is over before considering buying for Xbox One X. >.>

I wonder how many Sony fans became semi soured on the game after the Digital Foundry video. If you have it on PS did the digital Foundry video affect your thinking going into the release of the game? I don't mean that it ruined your enjoyment of the game completely but I'd have to imagine it was an unpleasant surprise to see how big the disparity was between the X and PS.

I have an X so I was on the other side of this comparison. It did make me anticipate the game that much more (did not think they could do native 4k on console) and knowing that I am playing the best version does helpe enjoy it more.
Are you ever soured playing a game, knowing there is a better version on PC?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My horse keeps shitting and you guys are still on console wars

Don't know which one is worse

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
Reading the first impressions here I'm glad I waited and didn't buy into the hype.

I'll wait for a patch or 2 and till honeymoon period is over before considering buying for Xbox One X. >.>

Normally in every big launch for games there are always someone who complain. Look at Black ops, Odyssey etc.
This game is awesome, with almost NO complains compare to every games out there. Usually there are 20 pages after day one. Someone few must tell the world how much the games suck, while everyone else enjoying their games.

So to the few ones that does not do it, enjoy your time doing nothing and rest of us (99.99%) having a blast.

Last edited:

evanft

I just sold my copy on eBay. I'm done.

I think I've figured out what's really wrong with this game.

We've seen a huge uptick in the quality of open world games this generation. Developers have figured out how to make the games feel great both in terms of the mechanics (how the game actually plays) and the interface/systems. Managing supplies, missions, and travelling have become a breeze in games like MGS5, Horizon, and Witcher 3. The core gameplay has also improved greatly, with the previously mentioned games sporting tight controls that feel great to use. It used to be that open world games kind of felt like shit, but were forgiven since the open world genre was still somewhat novel. Now, however, being open world is no longer novelty, and developers NEED to bring strong gameplay to the table if they want to come close to competing with what's happening in the AAA tier.

RDR2 rejects practically all that advancement. The controls and core gameplay feel mushy and unresponsive. Switching weapons is a pain in the ass. Doing ANYTHING involving a menu, from buying things at the store to managing your camp is ten years behind the rest of the industry. Looting a cabinet with multiple drawers might be one of the most frustrating things in a game I've played in the last five years.

To be fair, this is pretty typical of Rockstar. The Saints Row series has demonstrated what GTA should have been, and they didn't take most of the lessons from that series, either.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

We've seen a huge uptick in the quality of open world games this generation. Developers have figured out how to make the games feel great both in terms of the mechanics (how the game actually plays) and the interface/systems. Managing supplies, missions, and travelling have become a breeze in games like MGS5, Horizon, and Witcher 3. The core gameplay has also improved greatly, with the previously mentioned games sporting tight controls that feel great to use. It used to be that open world games kind of felt like shit, but were forgiven since the open world genre was still somewhat novel. Now, however, being open world is no longer novelty, and developers NEED to bring strong gameplay to the table if they want to come close to competing with what's happening in the AAA tier.

RDR2 rejects practically all that advancement. The controls and core gameplay feel mushy and unresponsive. Switching weapons is a pain in the ass. Doing ANYTHING involving a menu, from buying things at the store to managing your camp is ten years behind the rest of the industry. Looting a cabinet with multiple drawers might be one of the most frustrating things in a game I've played in the last five years.

To be fair, this is pretty typical of Rockstar. The Saints Row series has demonstrated what GTA should have been, and they didn't take most of the lessons from that series, either.
I like the game.. But I come to the same conclusion as you with so many things.. lol looting a cabin is tedious...I find it mostly weird how none of this get puts in ther 10 10 reviews. rockstar wont ever change this if reviewers dont even care for it. And it seems not that many on gaf care for it neither?

I have a PC (1080Ti) and most games I play on PC. But I do not complain about have a Xbox One X and this game on it. It is what it is and indead wishing it was for PC I just enjoy what I have.
As do most of us. I find the suggestion that someone might not enjoy the game as much because there's a better version of it on a different platform pretty funny.

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
As do most of us. I find the suggestion that someone might not enjoy the game as much because there's a better version of it on a different platform pretty funny.

True. I see the point have it on PC with 60+ FPS etc. I got a PC with 1080Ti with Ultrawide 3440x1440 100HZ monitor and I just played Odyssey on it. Normally I use Xbox One X for Netflix and kids love it. Right now I dont touch my PC except checking mail and write this cause I am using my Xbox One X and I love it. I just love what I have and instead wishing it was on PC. I really think it looks amazing on it (65" 4K/HDR)

If you look on every game there are usually 20 pages in day one how much it sucks, and this one just have a few pages so far so I think R did a great job make sure most of us (99.999999%) having a great time!

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
This is incredible. I can see how some folks take issue with its pace, but eff me, it’s right in my wheelhouse. I fell in love immediately.

Catphish

One complaint I guess I have is the speed of time progression. It's probably the same pace as other R* games but, for this one, it just feels worse to me, probably because of the slower pace of the game. I wake up early, maybe run one mission, go hunt a deer, stop at a store to check a catalog, and it's nighttime.

For a game that compels me to slow down and soak everything in, it would be nice if the time progression could be adjusted accordingly.

v0mitg0d

Oh man the Chick Mathews Treasure tree had me hunting and searching for a long time. If you need help this should help:

Once I lost his hat. Killed some random guy. Took his hat and tossed him off a cliff. Yeah this game is awesome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don’t get to bogged down by it, I was really worried about it at the start but I am now getting a more organic feel. I just went off and played some poker, did some hunting, did some missions and everything is ticking along nicely. For example the ledger which you need to upgrade the camp unlocks after the first Leopold mission. It all is starting to feel natural now and I am totally loving it.

At the start I was not feeling it but now I think if you just go with the flow and don’t worry about all the small management things you end up just doing them when you notice them. For example you see your health is low: eat something, your horse stamina core is low give him some food or tonic etc. Nothing bad happens just means it doesn’t refill as quickly.

There is so many animals in this game it’s amazing. Just studying them is great fun. Filling up my compendium nicely now.

Do we know how much your are supposed to put into the donation box a day? And I assume the bottom number of cash is what you have, and the top is the what is being deposited into the box? I was surprised to see me have $200+ after the first mission if so, and the box only have $42.

For your last part, I love watching the animals and studying them. The world feels so alive!

Last edited:
I’m loving this. Haven’t been so wrapped up in a game since Witcher 3. The “slow” intro and gameplay make sense given the time period and needing to show gamers the ropes.

Can’t wait to see my first thunderstorm ⛈

zwiggelbig

currently hate my life.. Finished the wolf mission yesterday after starting. I shut down my ps4 with pulling the cord as I had to go quickly and was at my parents house. Start it up today find out I gotta do the tedious tutorial all over again :(

HotPocket69

Banned
The Kingdom Come comparisons are pretty spot on. This is more sim/RPG than anything and I can absolutely see why that would turn people off. Down the line I can see this being the most divisive Rockstar game by a country mile.

I’m personally loving every minute of it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do we know how much your are supposed to put into the donation box a day? And I assume the bottom number of cash is what you have, and the top is the what is being deposited into the box? I was surprised to see me have $200+ after the first mission if so, and the box only have $42.

I don't think you need to put any specific amount a day. In fact, I think (outside of a few story moments), you don't ever have to use it.

This game was always designed to be a slower, more realistic take. This isn't "ignoring advancement", this is purposeful game design.

evanft

This game was always designed to be a slower, more realistic take. This isn't "ignoring advancement", this is purposeful game design.

And yet they could have integrated the advancements in menu systems, weapon switching, supply management, etc. while still keeping the relatively slow pace, but they didn't.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And yet they could have integrated the advancements in menu systems, weapon switching, supply management, etc. while still keeping the relatively slow pace, but they didn't.

I have yet to have an issue with any of those things. It was all purposefully designed to be what it is. I am sorry you didn't like it, but it isn't for everyone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think you need to put any specific amount a day. In fact, I think (outside of a few story moments), you don't ever have to use it.

Ah ok cool, because the NPC who set up the camp and showed me my tent, she came up to me after the "2-weeks later" when Chapter 2 began, and mentioned I have not donated to the box in a rude tone, so I did not not to make them pissed, lol.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Kingdom Come comparisons are pretty spot on. This is more sim/RPG than anything and I can absolutely see why that would turn people off. Down the line I can see this being the most divisive Rockstar game by a country mile.

I’m personally loving every minute of it.

Same here. But I tend to lean more into the sim department for games across all genres than arcade style (sports, RPG, FPS, etc.). That is not to say I do not enjoy all other types, I just have a special appreciation for this style of play.
I still miss me some Rainbow 6: Raven Shield

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Same here. But I tend to lean more into the sim department for games across all genres than arcade style (sports, RPG, FPS, etc.). That is not to say I do not enjoy all other types, I just have a special appreciation for this style of play.
I still miss me some Rainbow 6: Raven Shield

Ugh, don't get me started. Fuckin' Loved the old Rainbow Six games - but Siege has nearly shut down any chance we could see a proper R6 game again.

jonnyp

Is it possible to turn off the mundane stuff like eating, bathing, sleeping etc? That stuff is not fun to me.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Someone really lucky out there got your game and will have a blast with it. I hope watching paint on the wall makes you more happier :)
Like there's no other games out there for him to enjoy or something...lol

You seem upset that he didn't like it. Do help make the game ? Otherwise....odd behavior.

Ogbert

Will trade in on Monday. The world is incredible, but I just can’t handle the controls. Excruciating. Almost the polar opposite of how wonderful Link is to control in BoTW.

I’ll pick it up if it ever comes to PC.

anthraticus

Banned
Ugh, don't get me started. Fuckin' Loved the old Rainbow Six games - but Siege has nearly shut down any chance we could see a proper R6 game again.
I think that chance died a LONG time ago....like when Red Storm Entertainment stopped making the games and UBI took over full development.

Fired a gun in the middle of nowhere. Reported for disturbing the peace. Law shows up and starts shooting me immediately. I try to get off the horse and shoot back (which takes about 10 seconds) annnnnnnnnnd I'm dead. What a waste of time that was. A lot of little annoyances and irritations with this game are starting to mount up for me. I don't know how any (much less so many) reviewers could give this a perfect score.

Last edited:
Now that we've got a tangent going on Rainbow Six games - yeah, I HATE what Ubisoft has done to that series. Made it so arcade-like and lame.

I guess with a lot of the negative comments coming out in this thread about RDR2 (and the comments about Rainbow Six gave me the idea):

There two kinds of people in the world, those that enjoy simulation and those that don't.

Not really a spoiler:
Bonus points if you recognize what classic Western movie I'm paraphrasing from.
EDIT: Fixed my "quote" above - I was just going off of memory before.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I thought that was evident since they went fro R6 to Vegans last gen. Man I was is disappointed, it literally broke my sim-FPS gaming heart.

I think that chance died a LONG time ago....like when Red Storm Entertainment stopped making the games and UBI took over full development.

Agreed.

PoursOneOut.gif

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Fired a gun in the middle of nowhere. Reported for disturbing the peace. Law shows up and starts shooting me immediately. I try to get off the horse and shoot back (which takes about 10 seconds) annnnnnnnnnd I'm dead. What a waste of time that was. A lot of little annoyances and irritations with this game are starting to mount up for me. I don't know how any (much less so many) reviewers could give this a perfect score.
Could be a bug like in Skyrim where animals reported you to the authorities. >.>

MilkyJoe

Just a quick one, moaning around the internet about crappy HDR, I have a KS8000, found that 260 hdr brightness looks very good, if it helps anyone.

drotahorror

I bet no one else did this

0_0.jpg

Dunki

welp i think i stuck since I do not know where to go anymore XD

So I just freed Mica out of the prison. Did the Sean Mission and the debt collecting but now there is nothing else for me to do on the map. I went to my camp and there was a party going on. After a while I went to sleep and now I see no markers at all anymore....

where do i need to go xd

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So if you set a waypoint and then go into cinematic and walk you can put the controller down and it will go there. It’s amazing.

Breakage

Reading around and I get the impression this is another Rockstar game with poor controls and character movement.
It seems to be a stumbling block [for Rockstar] and one of the reasons why I couldn't get into RDR.

I put up with it in GTA because I like the world, vehicle action etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, that seems kind of lame but so far I've found (usually) that my actions only get reported when it should but there are times when it seems wonky. One of my few gripes about the game is that law enforcement could be tweaked just a bit more but so far I like it better than in GTA games.

So if you set a waypoint and then go into cinematic and walk you can put the controller down and it will go there. It’s amazing.
One of my very few gripes with the game is having to hold down a button to continue moving to a waypoint in cinematic mode and hope they patch in the option to allow your horse to just keep moving at its current speed to your destination without having to hold the button down while in cinematic mode. I'd also be good if they gave that option even without having to first enable cinematic mode.

zwiggelbig

Reading around and I get the impression this is another Rockstar game with poor controls and character movement.
It seems to be a stumbling block [for Rockstar] and one of the reasons why I couldn't get into RDR.

Well that's rockstar.. u can have the worst gameplay and get a 97 metacrtic score.. big difference with user scores though

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I wouldn't necessarily call it poor controls, just a bit weighty like they normally go for. Which I guess to some people is considered bad so I can see why some don't like it.

Top Bottom