• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
When you die, I notice the WANTED level resets. Are there any penalties from dying?

Not sure if it was a glitch, but the one time I die I lost everything my horse was carrying (animal skin wise), and I had very low stats until I slept, ate, drank, and bathed.

Vawn

Banned
Rockstar is absolutely horrible at trophy lists.

Missable trophies in a 60+ hour open-world game? Needing to replay story missions to get perfect scores. And, of course, a ton of crap tied to RD Online.

This is the type of game that should be a blast to platinum, but I cant see myself being bothered when the trophies would ruin my experience.

I just want to hunt trophies that are directly tied to 100%ing the game and fully exploring the world without having to follow a guide in order to not miss trophies, or breaking the story by replaying story missions multiple times to hit all objectives I'm not even informed about until after the fact.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Missable trophies in a 60+ hour open-world game? Needing to replay story missions to get perfect scores. And, of course, a ton of crap tied to RD Online.

This is the type of game that should be a blast to platinum, but I cant see myself being bothered when the trophies would ruin my experience.

I almost gave my camp enough money for the trophy and then realized I wanted to keep the money for other items and I had enough for resupplies. I then realized that I could get way more money by going after WANTED out in the wild.

I really like the outfit the Ultimate Edition gave me. I was leaving a particular area and someone on the side of the road told me to "never come back". So I got off my horse and confronted him, threw him against his pal. We all got into a fist fight until I knocked them both out. I proceeded to get back on my horse and rode on over the hill. It was a wonderful experience.

So I just got to the first camp, Horseshoe Whatever, Chapter 2, and I swear it had a mission that said
Find Javier
and then a submission "Do it in less than 6 minutes" and then it disappeared. WTF. Is this a glitch? The only thing I see now is find
Dutch a Pipe

Last edited:

drotahorror

What is the context of this?

Well, I stabbed a bunch of pigs to death, skinned them, piled them up and posed for a picture hah.

This game is hilarious though, I was heading towards a gorge for a bounty. I was smashin, and I couldn't stop in time as I got to the edge of the gorge and I ran my horse into a rock, I went flying and fell into the gorge and died.

Also (minor spoilers for the first mission after tutorial
When that guy notices you were from Blackwater, you chase him down and he is holding on to the edge of the cliff. I accidentally hit the help command and helped him and gained honor. Then I pulled out my knife and stabbed him in the chest and robbed him. I'm not sure if I lost honor and I gained his pen + the loot.

Last edited:

Sacred

I love the hyper-realism and all the little touches to get you immersed completely into the world. Except having to manually loot every body in the middle of a gunfight. I can live with this for how amazing this world is and how R* focused on a deep engrossing story and extreme character development.

Fired a gun in the middle of nowhere. Reported for disturbing the peace. Law shows up and starts shooting me immediately. I try to get off the horse and shoot back (which takes about 10 seconds) annnnnnnnnnd I'm dead. What a waste of time that was. A lot of little annoyances and irritations with this game are starting to mount up for me. I don't know how any (much less so many) reviewers could give this a perfect score.

I did that once. I put my gun away and he approached me and I pulled LT and chose surrender.

HotPocket69

Banned
Ran into this guy as I was heading back to camp

At first I didn’t want to shoot off his cuffs but I said fuck it...

Turns out, as thanks he gave me some info on a homestead that’s ripe for the pickins

HKpKvn5.jpg

Was totally gonna bail on the dude too

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's rockstar.. u can have the worst gameplay and get a 97 metacrtic score.. big difference with user scores though
Look at the "user scores"

WHY NO PC YOU WANT DOUBLE MONEY ME MAD

Like I'm not even joking...

Dunki

So I just got to the first camp, Horseshoe Whatever, Chapter 2, and I swear it had a mission that said
Find Javier
and then a submission "Do it in less than 6 minutes" and then it disappeared. WTF. Is this a glitch? The only thing I see now is find
Dutch a Pipe
The same thing did happen for me as well in chapter 2 there is no mark anymore where I should go. No story mission etc. I am basically stuck

Vawn

Banned
When that guy notices you were from Blackwater, you chase him down and he is holding on to the edge of the cliff. I accidentally hit the help command and helped him and gained honor. Then I pulled out my knife and stabbed him in the chest and robbed him. I'm not sure if I lost honor and I gained his pen + the loot.

I did a bounty and the sherrif said to pick up my money off the desk. I didn't see it, but tried hitting Triangle to see if it would give me my money. Nope. Instead, Arthur leaped behind the desk and strangled the sherriff. My game ended saying I failed the mission.

Stuff like that happens often as I'm still getting used to what all the buttons do in different contexts.

Last edited:
This game is extremely impressive in its scale and scope, hats off to rockstar for the work they put in!

I’m a few hours into chapter 2 and, I dunno, the game seems a little boring to me, it put me to sleep once in chapter 1 :/ I do hope it picks up.

Vawn

Banned
This game is extremely impressive in its scale and scope, hats off to rockstar for the work they put in!

I’m a few hours into chapter 2 and, I dunno, the game seems a little boring to me, it put me to sleep once in chapter 1 :/ I do hope it picks up.

That's where I'm at right now. On one hand, I'm super impressed by the amount of detail and the realism. On the other hand, I'm feeling bored and not sure I'm actually having fun.

That's where I'm at right now. On one hand, I'm super impressed by the amount of detail and the realism. On the other hand, I'm feeling bored and not sure I'm actually having fun.
I'm the same, to the point where I'm thinking of selling it. The world is gorgeous and engrossing, but actually playing the game feels like a bit of a chore.

Dunki

Do people find some side quests as good as witcher 3? Whats the main difference u would say in terms of side quests
Early in the game but no this is not Witcher Quality this is better GTA qualit. The writing in these are good but the quest design not really. But in the end it is not a deep RPG so I am totally fine with it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, I stabbed a bunch of pigs to death, skinned them, piled them up and posed for a picture hah.

This game is hilarious though, I was heading towards a gorge for a bounty. I was smashin, and I couldn't stop in time as I got to the edge of the gorge and I ran my horse into a rock, I went flying and fell into the gorge and died.

Ah, I did not realize they were pigs... at first I thought hey were bodies sacks, lol.

And lol @ the momentum contributing to hilarious things.

Straight savage!

I just want to hunt trophies that are directly tied to 100%ing the game and fully exploring the world without having to follow a guide in order to not miss trophies, or breaking the story by replaying story missions multiple times to hit all objectives I'm not even informed about until after the fact.

They need to take a page out of what Sony has been doing recently with their First Party games. God of War, Spidey, etc., were enjoyable and progressed nicely.

Find Javier
Dutch a Pipe

I think the Javier part was when he asks for a ride on the back of your carriage before you just arrive to the camp.

I did a bounty and the sherrif said to pick up my money off the desk. I didn't see it, but tried hitting Triangle to see if it would give me my money. Nope. Instead, Arthur leaped behind the desk and strangled the sherriff. My game ended saying I failed the mission.

Stuff like that happens often as I'm still getting used to what all the buttons do in different contexts.

They make for hilarious moments though!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite thing so far is the weapon customization

oh and killing O'driskels or w/e they called

Geki-D

Banned
Man, go near a guy in town who starts shooting at me for pretty much nothing (one of those gang guys), so I run away and get out of his sight... But the guy just always knows where I am no matter how many houses and turns I put between us. So I bum rush the guy and beat him, suddenly the law are on ME and within seconds there are like 5 lawmen shooting the shit out of me.

Really? So NPCs can shoot at you for merely standing near them and the cops do nothing but defending yourself gets you in trouble? Even in GTA this wasn't the case. Also psychic enemies is pretty lame.

I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the first one. But I LOVE this one. Definitely nice to play with just the compass on and roam around. Easily one of the better open world games like The Witcher 3.

Hell, I would like a more fantasy/middle ages game like this even. Yeah I guess Kingdom Come is sort of close in that regard, but RDR2 is great.

Fuz

Banned
Ok.
I know this will sound lazy. But we are on page 11, hard to follow the discussion now, I don't trust the critics reviews (especially for this game) and, in this case, I don't trust the user scores on metacritic (which I usually kida do).
Can someone tell me if the game is really as good as we expected it to be? Is it really the second coming of Jesus?

IndieDoroid

Neo Member
Same here, super excited to take care of my horse! I hope Rockstar manages to sort out their crunch issues though.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Ok.
I know this will sound lazy. But we are on page 11, hard to follow the discussion now, I don't trust the critics reviews (especially for this game) and, in this case, I don't trust the user scores on metacritic (which I usually kida do).
Can someone tell me if the game is really as good as we expected it to be? Is it really the second coming of Jesus?

It depends on the kind of games you like to play for one..

Do you require instant gratification at all times?

Last edited:
Ok.
Absolutely not, in my opinion.

Ok.

It's more of a western simulator than GTA in the old west. You need to be in the right mindset to enjoy.

Is it good? Yes. But it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ok.
It's a slow burn type of story with a bigger focus on realism based details than previous Rockstar games. If that seems appealing to you then I'd check it out.

Ok.

It’s definitely not GTA6: Wild West if that’s what you’re expecting. I like what someone else said, it’s a western simulator, and in that regard it does an amazing job. Great immersion

Stuart360

Everone loving it then?, been away for a couple of days. Read a few streamer views and they think the game is great, but a slow burner, sound about right?

Wonkytonk

Graphics are amazing, story telling and characters are great. The world and little interactions between your buddies and random NPCs, also great. The “main” missions (yellow icons) are on the whole really good. The side stuff has been slightly disappointing.

Gameplay... hmmm, not sure. Movement feels heavy and sluggish. Popping in and out of cover feels meh. Gunplay is decent enough.

Having to constantly monitor your stamina, health and dead eye is a little unnecessary (IMO). Drinking tonics, eating a meal. Even having to take baths to lower your scent for hunting. Not a huge fan of the camp upgrades and donations either.

Couldn’t ever deny it’s a wonderful game, after playing about 8 hours. I’ve played better this year though— Spider-Man and God of War more “enjoyable” for me.

Last edited:

Catphish

It's more of a western simulator than GTA in the old west. You need to be in the right mindset to enjoy.

Is it good? Yes. But it's not for everyone.
Kinda echoing what others have said, it depends on what you're looking for. Me, I'm still just learning the mechanics, and am in no hurry to rush through the story. I like petting and brushing my horse, greeting passers-by, helping folks who ask for it, hunting, and just generally wandering around the land near camp to see what I can get into.

There's a dissonance in playing like this because there's apparently some urgent shit story-wise that needs attending to, but what else is new? All open world games are pretty much like that.

The world they've created here is peerless. And if you're the type that would love to get lost in something like that, absorbing every detail and savoring that experience like a fine wine, I don't think you can go wrong with the purchase.

Not a fan of the aiming system but it’s a damn sight better than oddysee. Why can’t they incorporate call of duty style aiming or hell even tomb raider was better. I get that it’s third person but hell even H1z1 aiming is better. Even after all that I like it.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Ok.

Based on my seven or so hours I’ve played, the world they’ve created is the best ever. It looks amazing. Some people will truly adore it.

But, controls are muddy and annoying and I’m not convinced the game will be that much fun after 20 or so hours. The reviews are absurd, but they were always going to be.

Put it this way, I’m back playing Witcher Thornbreaker, so make of that what you will.

Fuz

Banned
Thanks guys. Question number 2: Does it have an offcentered camera when walking around? It's not clear in the videos.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks guys. Question number 2: Does it have an offcentered camera when walking around? It's not clear in the videos.

Yes it does (something like God of War), but you can adjust between 3 different camera zooms (and FPS camera as well). So you can have it up close like GoW, then a little further, and again further back.

Also, in gun fights, you can swap shoulders while aiming with the D-pad I believe, kind of like Uncharted.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
People complaining about how slow the beginning is must be forgetting how slow the beginning of Redemption 1 was

Helping out Bonnie? Herding those fucking cattle and shooting rabbits in a garden? Fuck outta here

Fuz

Banned
Yes it does (something like God of War), but you can adjust between 3 different camera zooms (and FPS camera as well). So you can have it up close like GoW, then a little further, and again further back.

Also, in gun fights, you can swap shoulders while aiming with the D-pad I believe, kind of like Uncharted.
Is the character in the center of the screen with the further back camera? I'm seeing videos with the character apparently on the center, and other videos with the shitty offcentered camera. I hope I don't have to play it all in first person view.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is the character in the center of the screen with the further back camera? I'm seeing videos with the character apparently on the center, and other videos with the shitty offcentered camera. I hope I don't have to play it all in first person view.

I think when he stands still he is still a little offset, but when you are running and moving it smoothly centers you. When you are taking cover, again it offsets you a bit over the shoulder like most TPS cover systems.

I will have to focus on that when I get home to play it later.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
When you are taking cover, again it offsets you a bit over the shoulder like most TPS cover systems.
This doesn't bother me.

Guess I'll have to try it before buy. Or wait for a mod to save me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom