• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renowned Tokyo ramen shop Mensho Ramen opening first US shop in SF this weekend Feb 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always; the head chef usually spend 5-10 years training with his sensei in order to perfect the chashoe flavour and texture. It cooks further in the broth infusing with each of the flavours. To eat it first would be an insult to the head chef and his sensei.

So it brings honor and shame (I'm an expert) to the chef if I eat it wrong?

clav

Maybe next weekend for people in SF GAF.

Super Bowl crowds are going to jam this up.

I dunno why you're bringing up that tired meme, I'm being serious. I've been eating ramen like this for years now. But essentially yes.

Also don't forget to slurp. Otherwise, it means the meal is not delicious.

I dunno why you're bringing up that tired meme, I'm being serious. I've been eating ramen like this for years now. But essentially yes.
Alternatively, eat it however you want, hell, use a fork/spoon and a knife. You've paid for it. It is yours to consume as desired.

Well I'm going tomorrow so if anyone wants to join me in line for what should be an amazing night of ramen you can. I don't know how bad the lines will be but I'm gonna get there a few hours before opening.

I can't believe I don't have to go to Japan to experience Mensho that's just crazy.

Now if I can find a Skrillex ticket for tomorrow night I'll be set.

Edit WOOT WOOT all aboard the RAMEN TRAIN!

I see siphons for coffee. Siphon brewed coffee is hella' inconsistent and is nothing but showboat-y nonsense. I don't understand why shops even bother with them anymore. :(

LQX

I bet I get more noodles in a cup of noodles and way cheaper too.

souper_meal_cupnoodle_m.jpg

mclem

This feels like the backstory to a Yakuza sidemission. Now I have to beat up a bunch of guys to get the stolen recipe back, but in doing so the plucky manager of the store will come to realise he doesn't need the recipe in order to make fine ramen.

Thoraxes

I ended up getting some real ramen from a stall for the first time, and now I can't even eat that cheap shit anymore because of the difference.

I hope this does well and they do open a lot more stores.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I bet I get more noodles in a cup of noodles and way cheaper too.

This is the worst grouping of words in a line. I struggle with even calling it a sentence because the wrongness of the post transcends grammar.

This is the worst thing I have ever read, and i'm a Neogaf member.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You know, as much as I like ramen, and it's a pretty big trend here in Portland... I often think afterwards I should have just had a good bowl of pho for half the price.

B-Dex

You know, as much as I like ramen, and it's a pretty big trend here in Portland... I often think afterwards I should have just had a good bowl of pho for half the price.

Good go eat your tripe mess. I will enjoy perfection in a bowl instead.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good go eat your tripe mess. I will enjoy perfection in a bowl instead.

Eat some better pho then. I'll take my monster herb plate and you can eat your seaweed and manufactured fishcake.

See I can do it too.

I've been to some great ramen places in Tokyo. It's really... a dish that can be "good" enough. I think ramen is about the love when its made, and that simply has to be consistent for a shop to be so renowned. You're certain it's going to be good.

I imagine people will expect some god-tier tasting ramen that shits on everything they have had and be disappointed.

Yeah, most ramen is just decent. I've had Tatsu in LA. It's fine.

But there is this Tsukemen place at the Setagaya station in Tokyo that blew my mind. So damn good. Also, a Michelin-rated place in Ikebukoro. That's some ramen that shits on everything. Haven't had anything outside of Tokyo that can compare. Damn, I really wanna go back to Tokyo. Going in April!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thumbs up but we still don't have enough Tokyo quality mom and pop tonkotsu or shoyu joints. Rather have three of those than a single gourmet weird ramen place.

Haven't tried Mensho Ramen. Has anyone here been there? My favourite ramen place is Tokyo Underground Ramen Ganja in Ikebukuro. Delicious thick tonkotsu ramen. I it eat once a week, I am addicted. If you visit Tokyo try it out.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This post made me go for Ramen at the joint near my work today. Tsukemen with karemiso dipping broth. Soooo good, but I'll probably pay a price for it later. Can't handle the fat as much as I used to.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, most ramen is just decent. I've had Tatsu in LA. It's fine.

But there is this Tsukemen place at the Setagaya station in Tokyo that blew my mind. So damn good. Also, a Michelin-rated place in Ikebukoro. That's some ramen that shits on everything. Haven't had anything outside of Tokyo that can compare. Damn, I really wanna go back to Tokyo. Going in April!

Man last I was there, my partner really wanted to go to the Michelin-star place since we lived in Mejiro (short walk). I too will try and be there for Easter I guess. Apparently they have a ticket system, so all you need to do to eat there is line up early.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can it really be better than the Santouka inside Mitsuwa?

MGrant

Thumbs up but we still don't have enough Tokyo quality mom and pop tonkotsu or shoyu joints. Rather have three of those than a single gourmet weird ramen place.

Respect. A good tonkotsu place is hard to find in the states. When I move back to the states, I'm going to miss tonkotsu and hot pot the most.

Can it really be better than the Santouka inside Mitsuwa?

I heard Orenchi was really great and had the lines of something that should have been great, but it wasn't. The broth tasted like breakfast sausage soup...

So for me Santouka even with it's imported dry noodles is great. Their Chashu is amazing! I heard they got in trouble with Santa Clara health due to how they make their stock which was to my knowledge similar to how Mensho makes it's stuff.

I'm super excited but I have been let down before. So let's hope I come back tomorrow night with a glowing review.

GorillaJu

Eh, their soup is really bland tasting. They serve a type more associated with Chinese food than the godlike local flavors.

http://ramendb.supleks.jp/s/1611.html

This is my local shop. This is what you want. They are ranked 58th overall... given how many ramen shops there are in Japan that's pretty damn good.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Eh, their soup is really bland tasting. They serve a type more associated with Chinese food than the godlike local flavors.

This is my local shop. This is what you want. They are ranked 58th overall... given how many ramen shops there are in Japan that's pretty damn good.

I haven't tried any of them, but my small city contains places ranked 3, 15, 23, 52, and others. Pretty good!
Number 3 is an anchovy broth one which I don't like, though.

GorillaJu

I haven't tried any of them, but my small city contains places ranked 3, 15, 23, 52, and others. Pretty good!
Number 3 is an anchovy broth one which I don't like, though.

Anchovy broth sounds great. 大勝軒 use an anchovy broth for their tsukemen and even as someone who isn't a fan of seafood, I absolutely love it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

MGrant

You folks in New York ought to give Ippudo a shot. I've got one here in Taiwan and it's pretty good for a chain. It will cost you about 20 bucks a person, though, so it ain't cheap.

MGrant

Damn 20 bucks a bowl for Ippudo?

Ippudo in Japan isn't bad at all, actually.

More like 15 bucks for the ramen and 5 for a salad/side. But yeah it's steep in New York; I can get out of there for about 10 bucks US total here in Taiwan.

coy

When I visited my folks, I made sure to come here. My gf could not finish her bowl which I happily devoured. I am so hungry now.

RuGalz

since there are a few ramen experts here...

I love Santouka. Going to Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya, Nara, Kyoto, Osaka) in late March I'm hoping to find some good but not overly crowded ramen places if possible. (I really don't have a lot of time to stay in line for over an hour.) Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom