• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spaghetti donuts to debut soon, man now in open rebellion against God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

His wrath will be upon us

kwacIcU.jpg

rZv6coz.jpg

When popular food market Smorgasburg returns to outdoor venues this weekend, it will reach a new level of insane novelty food with the debut of a spaghetti doughnut. Gothamist took a look at new vendors and said that the doughnuts from vendor Pop Pasta are “gimmicky to be sure, but also taste good and are fun to eat.”

According to Pop Pasta’s website, the doughnut is a baked, handheld take on spaghetti pie — for which pasta is combined with eggs and cheese and then fried and served in slices. Options include Red Sauce Pop (spaghetti, parmesan, eggs, tomato puree, olive oil, salt), Bolognese Pop (spaghetti, parmesan, eggs, ground beef, tomato puree, olive oil, onions, garlic, salt), and Carbonara Pop (spaghetti, parmesan, eggs, bacon, black pepper, salt).

They look exactly what you might think a doughnut made of spaghetti would look like:

It’s hard to not see this as just another stunt food in the race to create the next viral dish that compels people to stand in hours-long lines. Smorgasburg in particular — the birthplace of the ramen burger and the raindrop cake — has become a fertile breeding ground for items built-for-the-’gram as opposed to food that actually tastes good.

But the food market and its continuing popularity means it is still a huge platform for less gimmicky food entrepreneurs, too — many who go on to open hugely successful brick-and-mortar restaurants.

Some other new vendors Gothamist highlighted include The Burger Supreme (simple, “griddle-steamed” hamburgers), Ube Kitchen (Filipino food, including an ube ice cream-based dessert), and John’s Juice (drinks made from smashed fruits). Metro New York also enjoyed Destination Dumplings (dumplings with fillings like Peking duck or jerk chicken) and Roll Play Viet Noms (Vietnamese spring rolls filled with rice vermicelli noodles).

Smorgasburg returns to Williamsburg at 90 Kent Ave. on Saturday and to Prospect Park’s Breeze Hill on Sunday.

Pop Pasta's Website
Instagram with more pics

Snagret

if the outside is super crispy i might be into it. i would rather take alfredo
Yeah, I'm imagining sort of a crispy fried cheese outer layer, with softer saucy bits on the inside. It certainly isn't healthy, but I don't see anything wrong with it otherwise.

Dali

I like a lot of sauce and these seem like mostly noodles. Make a "jelly" version and I... still wouldn't be in but the sauce problem would be solved.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
hqdefault.jpg

One good thing plus another good thing does not always equal a good or better thing

Arkeband

Banned
Is there bread on the bottom or do you just pick up a big wet noodle bagel?

Because I routinely eat my spaghetti by putting it on bread, this wouldn't be much different.

Hazmat

It doesn't look bad at all. It's pasta, egg, and cheese baked together which results in something that holds a shape, which in this case looks like a donut. I feel like some of you aren't reading the OP and assuming it's an actually donut that's been combined with spaghetti.

Just gonna quote myself from the other thread since it applies here too:

Food for fun is okay. Food for functional sustenance is okay.

However, if you view 'fine cuisine' as a form of art or the culmination of hundreds of years of cultural experimentation and consensus, just throwing random shit in a pot and calling it Food X is either distasteful or ignorant. You're free to make new, different foods all you like, but you can't make champagne without grapes, you can't make an omelette without eggs. Blueberry pie filling isn't 'just as good' as putting mushroom & pepperoni on a pizza, any more than eating raw flour and sugar is 'just as good' as having a brownie. There are levels to this stuff once you start getting into the realm of discerning flavor and making culinary recommendations.

Innovation and challenging your pallet is always important, but as I said, recipes only bend so far before they break and you're making a totally different food.

Elandyll

Banned
It's literally pasta in the shape of a bagel. I don't understand the disgust here.
It's congealed carbs, fat and sugar, reshaped, baked then FRIED to add a little extra fat (and probably salt as well in the process), making it significantly less healthy (not that it was terribly so in the first place) and to no advantage taste wise, just for the novelty's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom