• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renowned Tokyo ramen shop Mensho Ramen opening first US shop in SF this weekend Feb 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

There's a ramen owned place here in San Diego called Underbelly - everyone on staff was a typical beer geek white guy with beard/tattoos/thick plastic glasses, but they're apparently hardcore weeaboos because they fucking refuse to give you a spoon under any circumstances. I've never even heard of that being a thing.

Wait, they refuse to give you a spoon? How are you supposed to sip the soup? Literally every ramen shop ever in Japan gives you a spoon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait, they refuse to give you a spoon? How are you supposed to sip the soup? Literally every ramen shop ever in Japan gives you a spoon.

I don't know, this guy knows best I guess. Gimmick restaurants are a thing around here: Neighborhood has a no ketchup rule and Craft and Commerce has a rule about no vodka AND no ketchup. You will be not surprised to learn the last place once got a review that stated, "The definition of a hipster gastropub."

butzopower

proud of his butz
Miss you SF GAF, Ireland ain't got no ramen :/. Be sure to visit the new Hot Sauce and Panko location for me, too.

GorillaJu

I don't know, this guy knows best I guess. Gimmick restaurants are a thing around here: Neighborhood has a no ketchup rule and Craft and Commerce has a rule about no vodka AND no ketchup. You will be not surprised to learn the last place once got a review that stated, "The definition of a hipster gastropub."

That's so damn weird. I'm a San Diegan myself, but haven't been around there in over half a decade. Used to go to Tajima and Chopstix on Convoy a fair bit.

Miletius

Living in San Mateo, I have to say Ramen Dojo and the rest of the 3 (Santa, and the one next to Dojo) are kinda overhyped. But their stuff is good, probably among the better bowls you can get in the states.

I want to go check out that new place, but I think I'll wait for the crowd to die down a bit. Or maybe alternatively I can convince my GF to make the trip up this or next weekend.

Quixzlizx

I could've guessed that just from the name.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's so damn weird. I'm a San Diegan myself, but haven't been around there in over half a decade. Used to go to Tajima and Chopstix on Convoy a fair bit.

Honestly, the Santouka inside the Mitsuwa is the best one I've had so far and I've been to all of the places that are alleged to be super good. I thought Underbelly was very much underwhelming.

$18 took it from "I'll try it out when the hype dies down" to "nope." I like ramen, but I don't need to have the absolute best broth in the world or anything. $14 a bowl is pushing it.

Keyouta

I wish the closest ramen shop to me wasn't 5 hours away. I crave it after living in Japan for 10 months.

Lotto

Honestly, the Santouka inside the Mitsuwa is the best one I've had so far and I've been to all of the places that are alleged to be super good. I thought Underbelly was very much underwhelming.

Izakaya Masa's Hakata ramen is my favorite. Santouka is second for me. Underbelly is trash.

FStop7

Banned
I visited Mensho Tokyo on Saturday, after the parade. We got there at around 10:30PM. The wait was around 20 minutes. The food was absolutely phenomenal. And so was the service. They are currently offering a simplified menu as an introduction and plan on expanding it quite a bit.

I had the tori paitan w/ double duck chashu. It was just incredible. The food + a couple of Sapporos and chilling w/ my friend after a really long day was one of the best experiences I've had in years.

Obligatory food douchebag pic

img_51761nugx.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I visited Mensho Tokyo on Saturday, after the parade. We got there at around 10:30PM. The wait was around 20 minutes. The food was absolutely phenomenal. And so was the service. They are currently offering a simplified menu as an introduction and plan on expanding it quite a bit.

I had the tori paitan w/ double duck chashu. It was just incredible. The food + a couple of Sapporos and chilling w/ my friend after a really long day was one of the best experiences I've had in years.

Obligatory food douchebag pic

img_51761nugx.jpg

20 minutes isn't so bad. I wonder how it is at more normal hours.

Hoping to try this place when we're in town for GDC in a few weeks. Can't wait!! The duck chashu is an amazing inclusion for those of us who don't eat pork :'D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom