• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Doom 2016 after Eternal

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
The good news: Doom 2016 has not become obsolete because of the new one.

As much as I loved Eternal, by the time I was finishing my 2nd playtrough I had this nagging feeling that I preferred the simplicity of the combat loop in the first one...

Just look at the contrast between both:

Eternal encourages going aerial and dashing all over the place. You can easily play the floor is lava and never have to touch the ground just by doing combos of meathook, double dash, vaulting, teleporting to a glory kill from an absurd distance and immediately restart the sequence thanks to abilities cooldowns.

Now DOOM 2016:

Boots on the ground all the way, the slayer moves about 10-15% faster than in Eternal, you have one double jump and that's it.
I feel like this simplicity was more apt for the power fantasy Doom is supposed to be, but what do I know?

How do you feel about Eternals combat design direction?
Personally I would like the dashing to go away in the next one.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The more simplified Doom 2016 gameplay is still great. Not all of Eternal's bells and whistles were to its benefit.

The problem is that 2016 was overall too easy. Super Shotgun + Gauss Cannon can win you any encounter without much thinking or skill on the player's part. It takes quite a few upgrades in Eternal before you reach demi-god status. And even then certain enemies like Marauders and Archvilles can ruin your day.

Only if they increase Doomguy's running speed. Otherwise please no.

Well, Sub basically said I was gonna say. I felt like I only needed 2 weapons for my entire 2016 play time. It’s still great but I prefer Eternal all around

I've avoided getting Eternal because of this. If DOOM 2016 is the twitchier, more grounded one, I'll just stick with it. It even has a fun 'Arcade' mode.

My first two playthroughs were on Ultra-Violence. Now I'm painfully working through Nightmare. If the sequel is slower... ehhh... maybe I'll just keep replaying this one and attempting to reach faster level-clears or something. 🤷‍♀️

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im currently doing this. its fun! the game is easier than Eternal, and slower. there are many QOL improvements that Eternal makes which are missing here. im be pressing O hoping to dash like in Eternal, only to remember that means crouch instead lol. there is no double jump. there is no skipping cutscenes. the chainsaw takes two buttons to use, rather than Eternal's one. the map is slower and harder to read. art design is flatter and less dynamic throughout. you can see where they made improvements in just about every part of the game.

the levels so far feel very similar and end in the same room with a nondescript button that says "Exit the facility" which is quite anitclimactic. the sense of dramatic set design and set pieces is missing. also the auto spawning demon squads are less finely tuned. i will be in a room killing a wave of them, and the music will be pumping, and there are just one or two small guys hidden somewhere in the area of just ignoring me entirely, and i'll be missing them for a while, and that's a pain. feel like in Eternal they tweaked the AI to be a bit more aggressive & the spawn fights are better as a result.

still, it's a great game! and a lot of fun! just a rare instance where the sequel improves upon it in pretty much every arena. play them both obv.

Last edited:
Stirctly pertaining to gameplay, Eternal is certainly more challenging but I don’t know if it’s more rewarding. It’s especially plain to see in the final encounter/boss where the semblance of structure is tossed out the window in favor of just cramming it with as much shit as they possibly could. In that sense I prefer the approach of 2016.

The two biggest issues I have with Eternal aren’t the dash (which is polarizing, but they just need to tone back the frequency with which it can be used), but the Marauders/Archvile combat designs and the disjointed jumps from level to level (each level definitely comes off as having been made in isolation and then they tried to stitch them together as they went). I also carry some umbrage with the changes to the chainsaw but they’re forgivable.

I think Eternal is the best shooter campaign since Halo Reach. Obviously 2 different styles of game but Eternal's movement and combat pace are like nothing else. It's my favourite shooter ever. I've beaten Nightmare and am currently starting an Ultra Nightmare level by level playthrough. Got a Nightmare save file for practice and then once I feel ready I play through the level on Ultra Nightmare.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I like visuals of Doom 2016 more as well, it's more consistent and grittier.
see, im the other way. i like the more colorful visuals of Eternal. it really captures the spirit of heavy metal album covers. DOOM 2016 is nice but the level more or less feel like random space bases on Mars. i prefer the more fantastical Hell On Earth style setups in the second game. ever since DOOM II i've been waiting for a game that features shooting up demons in an office building, it took 25 years but we finally got there. i've never been a fan of gritty tbh, i like fantasy far more, and this scratches that itch. every time i will go for colorful over browns & greys.

first game is great, just on the level of personal preference, i think the second is an improvement in every way.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Doom 2016 is a classic first person shooter with a touch of modern stuff, so it has a direction and is a very one way road to play. You do crazy stuff, but it has a foot on the ground.

Doom Eternal is videogame cranked at 11. It's heavy metal on crack. It's a Dragon Ball fight with those little teleport things all the time. Is 100% at Trough the Fire and Flames on Expert. So it's kinda messed up, but in a big fucking awesome way

Both have a place in my heart

thisiskupo

Neo Member
I don't think one is better than the other by any means.
For me both are great and they're different beasts in their own right

I enjoyed Eternal's fast chaos, the feeling of quietness when everything is finally over. When you can finally catch your breath and makes you realise how hectic and fun the combat is.
Doom 2016 ambient and general atmosphere is amazing as well. I was often taken into the dark gory atmosphere the game provided.

Both are amazing to me albeit different. It's normal that some people are more inclined to one over the other.

crumbs

I was not feeling Eternal after the first couple of levels; they throw a lot of systems and info at you and it can feel both overwhelming and somehow restrictive compared to 2016.

Despite this initial disappointment, I stuck with it and ended up enjoying it more than 2016. The key was adjusting to the new chainsaw & flamethrower mechanics, which results in much more ammo and armor availability. Knowing that I always had ammo available during an encounter allows you to really experiment with all the weapons and their various alt fire modes.

The devs could have done a better job emphasizing in Eternal's first level that the chainsaw fuel will automatically recharge the 1st notch. This gameplay change from 2016 is easily missed during the million different tutorial pop-ups you encounter during the intro level.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I was not feeling Eternal after the first couple of levels; they throw a lot of systems and info at you and it can feel both overwhelming and somehow restrictive compared to 2016.

Despite this initial disappointment, I stuck with it and ended up enjoying it more than 2016. The key was adjusting to the new chainsaw & flamethrower mechanics, which results in much more ammo and armor availability. Knowing that I always had ammo available during an encounter allows you to really experiment with all the weapons and their various alt fire modes.

The devs could have done a better job emphasizing in Eternal's first level that the chainsaw fuel will automatically recharge the 1st notch. This gameplay change from 2016 is easily missed during the million different tutorial pop-ups you encounter during the intro level.

I had heard about the tutorials before I started so I turned them off before even starting. That helped I think

Eternal is a blast but it didnt jive with me at first. Now that I've beaten it, i think its overall a better experience but it doesnt replace 2016 IMO. Also, the lore dump in Eternal kinda sucks. I think it was better in 2016 where you basically told just enough to realize that The Slayer is like the boogieman to the demons...which is metal as fuck.

crumbs

I had heard about the tutorials before I started so I turned them off before even starting. That helped I think

Yeah, I can see that. I understand why they thought it was necessary since they were taking an existing game & layering on a lot new mechanics, but by blasting players with so much info during gameplay just results in the tutorials being (partially) ignored.

Ovek

7Member7
Doom 2016 feels like a updated "next gen" Doom if a little to inspired by Brutal Doom. I don't know what the fuck Doom Eternal is but dodge and running around at 20,000 miles an hour isn't what I would call Doom.

Doom Eternal has problems on every level of it's design from core game play, just bizarre shit like picking up extra lives and a complete dog shit story that quite frankly I can barley call a story.

Hans Bubby

Banned
I bought the digital deluxe version of Eternal on Xbox and immediately regret it. Got bored of the game. I have no desire to continue playing it. I liked the 2016 Doom so much better.

cireza

This is what I was certain to expect about Eternal, thus I did not buy the game. Might give it a try but only at low price.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I re-played through 2016 right on the heels of Eternal, and it honestly felt sedentary and a lot less chaotic.
But wow, do I far prefer it. Everything that I like about Doom is just simply better in 16. The aesthetic, art style and mood just feels a lot darker and more sinister, complimented by the better soundtrack and sound fxs. Better level design also.

Eternal to me just felt like this section of the "I am Vega" level of 2016 repeated over and over, with constant ammo admin.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I prefer DOOM Eternals combat loop vastly to 2016, it's faster, chunkier, I utilize pretty much everything in my toolkit in that game and the game does everything in its power to push my shit in and it makes it this insane adrenaline rush that makes combat exciting and over the top as hell.

That said, theyre both amazing games.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
Everything that I like about Doom is just simply better in 16. The aesthetic, art style and mood just feels a lot darker and more sinister, complimented by the better soundtrack and sound fxs. Better level design also.
Yeah, things like the swinging poles, floating platforms, bowser castle obstacle courses detracts and level ups makes the levels look more gamy than 2016's level design.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah, things like the swinging poles, floating platforms, bowser castle obstacle courses detracts and level ups makes the levels look more gamy than 2016's level design.
Besides that. The fucking WORST part in 2016 was that dumb ass platform tower level.

Then eternal comes out. And it's basically super mario 🤣

Doom 2016 is amazing. Its in my top 10 of favorite games of the previous decade.

Doom eternal is double amazing. Once you master resource management, being able to concentrate on the fast paced, frantic and brutal flow of gameplay, its a fuckin rush. I am greedy for another full fledged doom eternal expansion.

mcjmetroid

The good news: Doom 2016 has not become obsolete because of the new one.

As much as I loved Eternal, by the time I was finishing my 2nd playtrough I had this nagging feeling that I preferred the simplicity of the combat loop in the first one...

Just look at the contrast between both:

Eternal encourages going aerial and dashing all over the place. You can easily play the floor is lava and never have to touch the ground just by doing combos of meathook, double dash, vaulting, teleporting to a glory kill from an absurd distance and immediately restart the sequence thanks to abilities cooldowns.

Now DOOM 2016:

Boots on the ground all the way, the slayer moves about 10-15% faster than in Eternal, you have one double jump and that's it.
I feel like this simplicity was more apt for the power fantasy Doom is supposed to be, but what do I know?

I fucking knew the running speed in eternal was slower when I saw the initial trailer. Someone here tried to convince me here it was the same.

I think doom eternal is overall the way better game. For whatever reason though I kinda wanted to eternal to end during the end. Was it more repetitive or overly long?

It was fantastic though. I do prefer the multiplayer mode in the original mode, reminds me of a quake 3 deathmatch.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

My opinion is that the two games are very different beasts. I prefer 2016 because it's closer to the Doom I know and love. If I can make a rough comparison:

Doom 2016 is the original Quake, and in that respect Doom Eternal is Quake 3.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It took me a while to warm up to the various sub systems and resource management in Doom E. Once I did though it was really fun.

Hard to say what was better. Doom E I played more recently so there is that. Hopefully Doom E will have legit campaign DLC and that might push it over the top for me.

Radical_3d

Very interesting difference. None of what I've read pointed this so clearly. Since I have yet to play both of them I think I'll go with 2016, since is more classic Doom.

Both games are awesome, but Eternal is secretly a Quake game so I loved it that much more. Here's hoping id's next game is a proper new Quake installment because they've perfectly set the stage for it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My opinion is that the two games are very different beasts. I prefer 2016 because it's closer to the Doom I know and love. If I can make a rough comparison:

Doom 2016 is the original Quake, and in that respect Doom Eternal is Quake 3.

Recently made a video saying something similar. Doom 2016 is bringing Doom to the modern era while Eternal evolves it for the modern era.

SnapShot

Something about Doom Eternal just feels.....off, the cartoony aesthetics, too complicated, too much silly platforming, the pacing is all over the place, the story is not very well communicated.... It feels so bloated.

The first game just felt like an overall smoother experience for me. It got a bit repetitive with all the arenas stuff towards the end, but nowhere near as repetitive as Eternal at least. The DLC doesn't seem to fare much better either.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I stopped playing Doom 2016 about 1/2 way through when it came out. Since playing Eternal, I decided to go back and try Doom 2016 with a 100% walkthrough.
It has been a blast. I love Eternal but there is nothing I miss from it when playing 2016 (well, maybe the chainsaw fuel method).
It is certainly the more "Doom" of the 2 games.

Cravis

Doom Eternal overcomplicated both the story and controls. We don’t need no stinking story with Doom. The beginning of 2016 when the computer starts delving into a story in the beginning and Doom guy punches it out of the way..... damn that’s good stuff.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Played a little bit of Eternal, and loved it. I thought it was even more fun than the first, which is saying something.

I recognize that it is notably different from the first game, but in a hobby full of cookie cutter sequels that don’t offer anything new, or achieve the excitement of the first game, I really like that it tried new things, and amped everything up so much.

Top Bottom