• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera just scared off Digital Foundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stouffers

Banned
So a little retro inspired game called Ion Fury just released its console ports and DF did a technical review. They’ve been fairly cozy with Resetera and made a thread to promote the video.

Within a few messages, the usual suspects took the thread off topic and began to question the video’s creator why he didn’t admonish the questionable and bigoted content of the game. Instead of veering the thread back on topic, the mods allowed it to continue and even banned members who wanted to get the thread back on the rails.

After 6 or so pages, John Linneman has called it quits from Resetera and it looks like he’s taken his collaborators with him.

This is a major loss for their forum. It’s both disgusting but completely on brand for a forum so far up its own ass it’s eating itself.

Last edited:

I was just thinking the other day that this was coming and I actually ran across a post on Twitter about that thread. They are a bunch of loonies.

Darth

Jesus, it can be a discussion on ERA about what Pizza is better, Dominos or Pizza Hut. If you don't turn the topic into and agreeing to how it is racist for preferring white cheese only with no black olives then you'll get banned.

Sorry for not boycotting a game because I have fun playing it and not because one developers third cousin did something racist 30 years ago. Reparations must be had before that game can be played.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Courtesy of the console war battleground of the next gen leaks thread.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Anyone have any links or screens?

It’s a shame. The DF guys seem to be genuinely good people, but humanity is going to humanity, with social justice or console warring. Even on a really well moderated forum like this, there’s only so much you can do about that, without clamping down to North Korea levels.

I think it’s for the best for John to take a step back from message boards, esp. a misery like Reset. He has this thing where criticism, even utterly crap criticism, weighs so much more heavily in his mind than all the deserved praise the channel gets.

Richard seems to wisely stay off forums, and just focus on making good content. The younger guys need to do the same, at least until they understand that not all opinions are worth taking to heart.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So we’re not much better than, Resetera. Fantastic. Great job, demigod demigod
the whole controversy around that game proved that to me

at first, when it exploded, you saw people defending them

then they came out with a statement saying they would try to do better. instantly this board was full of people saying "fuck them for listening to SJWs". which is funny cos they didn't actually do anything. but because they landed on the wrong side of the tribal wars they were instantly the enemy. except they were the enemy for something they didn't even do! all to own some imaginary SJWs they appeased that didn't exist. it was hilarious.

i dont blame Dark for not wanting to bother. personally if i worked in the industry i would have zero contact with gaming forums online. there are too many trolls and idiots like demigod, it is a giant waste of time.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
This reminds me, I never did get around to giving Kingdom Come Deliverance a proper go.

Fairly certain that game was bashed for having controversial devs also

So sick of this SJW horse shit - "how dare you not add a warning to your vid and just judge it by the game's technical merits alone!"

People are weird

Saber

Gold Member
"But dude, we're not harassing!1! We're discussing the games!1! Btw, if you like this game you're bigots/homophobics!"

Defending John(Banned): https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...on-xbox-one-all-consoles.204861/post-34086921

Defending John(Banned) : https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...on-xbox-one-all-consoles.204861/post-34090494

Telling the truth(Banned): https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...on-xbox-one-all-consoles.204861/post-34109145

John finally leaves Resetera : https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...tresses-current-gen-cpus.206310/post-34349847

2 : https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...tresses-current-gen-cpus.206310/post-34355955

"John is not the victim": https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...tresses-current-gen-cpus.206310/post-34355829

Last edited:
I didn't realize there was "history" with Ion Fury devs until the DF console port breakdown video over the weekend, saw it mentioned in that thread. Based on what I read, I am not surprised that Re went crazy. Figured it was just a matter of time before they ran off the DF guys.

Last edited:

Darth

I didn't realize there was "history" with Ion Fury devs until the DF console port breakdown video over the weekend, saw it mentioned in that thread. Based on what I read, I am not surprised that Re went crazy. Figured it was just a matter of time before they ran off the DF guys.

Era's list of trigger words and people is far greater than Homeland Security and OFAC.

Thaedolus

So what did the developer do that was so bigoted?

As far as I remember:

-one of the developers expressed reservation about transitioning young children, or using hormone blockers too young (something like that) in a discord server and the chat leaked
-there was an item in the game called “UGAY” which I guess was a goof on the name of a lotion product?
-in some part of the game inaccessible without cheats, there was something labeled “fagbag” or close to that. There’s some dispute about what that could actually be referring to in another country though.

So because of this the developers have been labeled transphobic and homophobic and discussing the game is taboo.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
As far as I remember:

-one of the developers expressed reservation about transitioning young children, or using hormone blockers too young (something like that) in a discord server and the chat leaked
-there was an item in the game called “UGAY” which I guess was a goof on the name of a lotion product?
-in some part of the game inaccessible without cheats, there was something labeled “fagbag” or close to that. There’s some dispute about what that could actually be referring to in another country though.

So because of this the developers have been labeled transphobic and homophobic and discussing the game is taboo.

So basically nothing and nothing that has to do with a tech review of a game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pot, kettle, black in our case.
Not really. Some people were shitty to him on here, but it wasnt systemic failure from the top down enforcing a bias and punishing wrongthink. John's a cool guy in his videos but he seems extremely fragile sometimes. Its probably for the best that he doesnt post anywhere really. But of course I think he'd get a much better response over here.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
So a little retro inspired game called Ion Fury just released its console ports and DF did a technical review. They’ve been fairly cozy with Resetera and made a thread to promote the video.

Within a few messages, the usual suspects took the thread off topic and began to question the video’s creator why he didn’t admonish the questionable and bigoted content of the game. Instead of veering the thread back on topic, the mods allowed it to continue and even banned members who wanted to get the thread back on the rails.

After 6 or so pages, John Linneman has called it quits from Resetera and it looks like he’s taken his collaborators with him.

This is a major loss for their forum. It’s both disgusting but completely on brand for a forum so far up its own ass it’s eating itself.

The only good thing about resetera... it gathers all those mentally ill left wing psychos and puts them into one place. So you know what to expect of that forum.

Just for the record: Iam not talking about LBGT people. Just the normal people trying to be WOKE as fuck.

Extreme Left is as good as extrem right. Nothing to be proud off.

Last edited:
Just going through that Reset thread again and the lack of introspection is mindboggling. One of my favorite quotes has to be "Says a lot about how terrible the internet is outside of these forums" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ke8cIUR.png

Last edited:

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
"John is doing well and just taking the necessary steps away from here that is for the best. I wouldn't expect either him or I to post anything here related to future DF Retro projects we do together and the like however since I will also be stepping away since I haven't really been enjoying reading forums much in the last few years and stuff like this just cements that it's better to focus on work and family."

I really like this response from DF, professional, give enough hints on the reason why they are leaving, but didn't destory any bridges for the future. They are smart people, I am sure they'll do well with or without that forum.

nush

blame Dark for not wanting to bother. personally if i worked in the industry i would have zero contact with gaming forums online. there are too many trolls and idiots like demigod, it is a giant waste of time.

I learned that lesson early on, first they love you and are just fans. Then if the company you work for does something they don't like you'll be the target of the anger. That and at the time Kotaku were making news stories out of forum posts if they knew the person worked for a particular gaming company and they found a "scoop".

So I had to go dark, shame really as I know things that are true that get dismissed becuse a journalist did not write an article about it. Most of the time gaming journalists are only told what they need to promote. Not going to out myself just to prove I'm not making shit up.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I learned that lesson early on, first they love you and are just fans. Then if the company you work for does something they don't like you'll be the target of the anger. That and at the time Kotaku were making news stories out of forum posts if they knew the person worked for a particular gaming company and they found a "scoop".

So I had to go dark, shame really as I know things that are true that get dismissed becuse a journalist did not write an article about it. Most of the time gaming journalists are only told what they need to promote. Not going to out myself just to prove I'm not making shit up.

Hi Reggie.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Just going through that Reset thread again and the lack of introspection is mindboggling. "Says a lot about how terrible the internet is outside of these forums" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ke8cIUR.png

rofl.

"The fact that this is a legitimate concern is troubling and says a lot about how terrible the internet is outside these forums"

I wouldnt call Resetera a good and sane place in the internet...

I know a lot of people who are out of touch with reality and i guess they all would fit very well into Resetera.

One (ex)-friend of mine thought he was entitled to everything but was just a lazy ass never doing anything at all but claimed that he is the best in everything and knows everything better. And everytime something went wrong he blamed other people.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not really. Some people were shitty to him on here, but it wasnt systemic failure from the top down enforcing a bias and punishing wrongthink. John's a cool guy in his videos but he seems extremely fragile sometimes. Its probably for the best that he doesnt post anywhere really. But of course I think he'd get a much better response over here.

Yeah.

I'm not here to say we are worse than Era. This gaf member was a bitch and has a disgusting attitude against John and it was wise of him to leave this place. It won't stop my brother and members here to support and post DF cool videos.

But this? Resetera bullying him, making him sound like a homphobic guy for liking a game and demand him to do things to his videos in order for them to not be against. Thats worst than scum.

Its probably for the best John to leave forums altogether. Keep doing what he is doing the best, making cool videos(I for one love his DF Retros). But what Resetera did for him? All the harassment followed by banned members only trying to defend him? Unless theres something wrong with peoples head, this is not comparable with 1 dumbshit from Gaf.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

The people on era spend more time looking for things to get outraged by than playing games.

Devs who think there's anything to gain by interacting with that community are either clueless, or desperate.

You'd get a shitload more return on your invested time by fostering a Reddit community.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I hope everyone flees that site and its lunacy. The more people like D dark10x they scare off, the better. Why interact with people who want to cancel you?

Last edited:
Skimming through the REEEEEEEE thread is wild. Maybe its just because its been a while since I've been there but they are handing out bans for even less and less controversial shit.

Any attempt at saying that DF only evaluates the technical aspects of a game and not the politics seems to be an insta-ban. Reason: equating HATE SPEECH to political views. Duration pending.

-Arcadia-

Banned
D dark10x is a great guy and i hope he does come back. My criticisms are not of Dark solely, but DF and Eurogamer as a whole and i hope he understands that and not take it personally.

As you think Resetera is a “great forum”, please elaborate on what your criticisms are, and whether they match the bullshit thought control and hypersensitivity-to-the-point-of-nonsense that Reset is trying to put forward here.

iconmaster

Banned
D dark10x is a great guy and i hope he does come back. My criticisms are not of Dark solely, but DF and Eurogamer as a whole and i hope he understands that and not take it personally.

Since you drew attention to your "criticisms," I'm taking the liberty of posting them.

mxH1iVF.png

hcYPg0l.png

sABVoAE.png

Transphobia, alt-right, bigotry. It's like playing SJW bingo!

Let me be absolutely clear: you are cancel culture. Couching your think-policing with "I know Dark's a great guy and will do what I want" doesn't change your intent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom