• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera just scared off Digital Foundry

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shitty situation. Folks clearly need to be made aware of Voidpoint's problematic views but it's not John Linneman's job to do that.

"problematic". This fucking term again regarding other people's words or opinions. Like, I want to know at which point do you stop wailing and begin to ignore that someone is "problematic" and instead look at the work they have done?

If the scientists who eventually come up with a cure for [insert disease here] had said the same things and held the same views, what are you going to do? Go out there and tell people they would be better off suffering and dying rather than accepting something from someone who is "problematic", but at least you went out morally grandstanding?

I believe the medias job is to inform period. Digital Foundry's video wheter intentionally or not is influencing purchasing decisions on the game and with the developers history of Anti-lgbt comments(not just ingame mind you) i don't think its unreasonable to inform your viewership of that.

DF/Eurogamer don't want to rock the boat with their viewership which is fair, but that is a choice and for that i feel my criticisms are waranted.

they do breakdowns of tech, bro

it isn’t even a game review, it’s just a technical analysis of the console ports resolution, frame rate, etc

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The cycle needs to break at some point. All that thrashing from John there was the typical "I'm good too!" act that is such a poison. Think for yourself, Linneman.
eh, i have no problem with him saying what he wants to say. imo the only problem here is people demanding he do x or say y. i like free speech. whatever he says on a message board is entirely inconsequential to me. it is inconsequential to anyone, honestly. there is nothing he could do that would appease these people outside of not covering the game at all.

so it seems pointless to want him to act a certain way on a message board. the only way he could have appeased these people is by deplatforming the game just like Era. this is what they want, to control his behavior. so that he mods like them. HiVeMiNd, lol, yes, but also, quite really, they want that. this is why they spend so much time lampshading about it.

they want removal from the market. they want censorship. they want total unyielding control of the meta media narrative. the whole "disclaimer" nonsense is their way of enforcing it on a fellow "ally", pressuring them into deplatforming. this is how the board works and they use the methodology outside the board, in order to inflict their "modding" on the entire world.

really they see themselves as the world's decency police. the entire world must be modded.

Remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer walks in the AIDS Walk, but doesn't want to wear the stupid ribbon, and is beaten up by the other walkers because "you have to wear the ribbon"? Exact same thing.
otm. the spirit behind the thing is less important than the optics, which must be enforced with utmost extremism. even the implied threat of violence is similar. this is how they mod the world, through threatening violence. it may not be physical violence, because so much of the world is virtual these days. so it is violence against posting, which is "deplatforming". by silencing people they inflict their own brand of ideological violence.

what happened to DF is typical of how they treat their own. heretics are cast out. when they find a vulnerable person who leans their way politically, but makes a public mistake, they are put through a public struggle session, forced to perform for the woke clergy that judges them in front of their peers. there is intimidation and humiliation. imo John just knew what he was in for and didn't want to subject himself to that. nobody should have to! it's scary.

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
"problematic". This fucking term again regarding other people's words or opinions. Like, I want to know at which point do you stop wailing and begin to ignore that someone is "problematic" and instead look at the work they have done?

If the scientists who eventually come up with a cure for [insert disease here] had said the same things and held the same views, what are you going to do? Go out there and tell people they would be better off suffering and dying rather than accepting something from someone who is "problematic", but at least you went out morally grandstanding?

You make sure everyone is properly informed and let them make their own decisions.

I covered this in the recent DF/Ion Fury thread, but while I personally wouldn't buy the game, I ain't gonna try to prevent anyone else from doing so. They have the right to make their own choices and have their own beliefs.

The same thing goes for the recent issues with Activision/Blizzard. I'd love to play Diablo 3 and the Spyro remake trilogy but their political stance has given me pause in buying any of their products for the time being.

Edit: Also comparing videogames to disease-curing medication seems a bit bizarre. Avoiding a videogame isn't gonna kill anyone. Maybe pick a better comparison.

Last edited:
What’s kinda funny is someone in the DF Ion Fury review did criticize them for being “woke,” apparently they brought up “inclusivity and diversity” in previous content. So, it’s like they are damned if they do, damned if they don’t

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would viewership take a hit if they stood their ground and told those complainers to fuck off?

Ion Fury sales showed decreases when they apologized and increases when they walked back the apology.

For whatever reason companies feel the need to walk a thin line with “customers” who aren’t customers.

Agreed. He is a super nice person who is incredibly passionate at what he does. He just wants to talk gaming and tech. That is a no no for Old Gaf.

Not a gaming forum.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i mean, you can be a good person, and be into inclusivity and diversity, and not be an asshole. that's entirely the point. what they think shouldn't be what we judge them on. it should be the, uh, games they make.

the problem is the unreasonable demands of people that hold the megaphone and won't let go. that tiny 8% sliver of Always Online lunatics who drive the current culture war and demand deplatforming (which is most certainly going to result in tools used by the very powerful to oppress dissent in the future - thanks a lot, "allies"!).

Mohonky

I want to clarify that i do not approve of anyone harassing John over this and if people are directly harassing him then that is wrong and should be punished over it. But me simply offering my opinion of disappointment with Df/Eurogamer is not harassment.

If you go by the Resetera mantra; you don't get to make that distinction.

That's the point; voluntary, involuntary or simply by association you are guilty. That's the optics used by Resetera Admin, Moderators and the collective hive mind used to justify the harassment of individuals and groups.

It's almost like the people there are using the exact same thought process to judge the ones they accuse of being judgemental or prejudice.

Resetera is a shit stain on the internet and it's members are absolutely unhinged lunatics with delusions of grandeur.

Yoboman

PrObLemATiC

UROex3a.jpg

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
What a shitty situation. Folks clearly need to be made aware of Voidpoint's problematic views but it's not John Linneman's job to do that.

Who or what is Voidpoint? What are their "problematic" views? And WHY do people need to be made aware of them?

Who or what is Voidpoint? What are their "problematic" views? And WHY do people need to be made aware of them?

They need to make sure that anybody who doesn't think like them is not allowed to put food on the table for their family.

You make sure everyone is properly informed and let them make their own decisions.

I covered this in the recent Ion Fury thread, but while I personally wouldn't buy the game, I ain't gonna try to prevent anyone else from doing so. They have the right to make their own choices and have their own beliefs.

The same thing goes for the recent issues with Activision/Blizzard. I'd love to play Diablo 3 and the Spyro remake trilogy but their political stance has given me pause in buying any of their products for the time being.

Edit: Also comparing videogames to disease-curing medication seems a bit bizarre. Avoiding a videogame isn't gonna kill anyone. Maybe pick a better comparison.

You didn't answer my question, at which point do you look at the work that somebody produces and not their "problematic views"?

Nester99

They put a bottle of lotion in a game that says OGAY as a play on Lotion of OLAY .

This dude apparently gives a ton of fucks about it.
Its just fragile people being pathetic.

Is Jim a heavy SJW himself? So to sum this all up, who gives a fuck?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

1) Voidpoint is the developer of Ion Fury.

2) Destructoid article about the Ion Fury/Voidpoint controversy.

3) So customers can be properly informed when making purchasing decisions.

You didn't answer my question, at which point do you look at the work that somebody produces and not their "problematic views"?

To me, they're one in the same. The artist is forever tied to the art.

You’re pRoBlEmAtIc

Alright, alright, fine, I admit it. Sometimes I get crumbs in the butter tub.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He posted once more after his "take a break" post and Dictator has continued to post normally...

Don't think they fully scared them off lol

(but they'll probably never post here, they are constantly made fun of on the NeoGAF gaming side)

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
He posted once more after his "take a break" post and Dictator has continued to post normally...

Don't think they fully scared them off lol

(but they'll probably never post here, they are constantly made fun of on the NeoGAF gaming side)

Ah, so yeah this topic is kinda pointless then. DF still very much part of the hate forum.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
They put a bottle of lotion in a game that says OGAY as a play on Lotion of OLAY .

This dude apparently gives a ton of fucks about it.
Its just fragile people being pathetic.

Is Jim a heavy SJW himself? So to sum this all up, who gives a fuck?

OMG - That's what all the lunatics at the Asylum are demanding a 'disclaimer' for and harrassing the shit out of John and DF???

That place comes across as something you'd see on The Onion and it's hilarious, until you realize those weirdos are dead serious, then it's just horrifying.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im kind of offended people think all gays are humorless automatons. why is this "homophobic" exactly? it seems like the kind of joke someone that calls all his friends "bitches" would use.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Has Dark gone to cry in his safe space corner? Lol he really can’t take the slightest bit of criticism can he, shit he might have a complete breakdown from being criticised by his “allies”.

Last time he posted on Gaf was when DF got called out by that other Youtuber about the bollocks they spouted about the last Gears of Chore.... he didn’t last long.

IntentionalPun

Ah, so yeah this topic is kinda pointless then. DF still very much part of the hate forum.
Well there is this:

John is doing well and just taking the necessary steps away from here that is for the best. I wouldn't expect either him or I to post anything here related to future DF Retro projects we do together and the like however since I will also be stepping away since I haven't really been enjoying reading forums much in the last few years and stuff like this just cements that it's better to focus on work and family.

But that guy barely posts anyways; Dictator I think posts the most, by far.. and doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Also the main guy involved is having health issues and talked about it in other threads (after saying he maybe should leave.)

NickFire

Is this forum too preoccupied with Resetera?
There used to be a run of the mill jerkoff trying to censor games left and right that we shit on regularly years back. Why? Because staying silent let’s the bad guys win. Now there’s a whole cult of jerkoffs trying to not only censor games but cause financial pain and suffering for disagreeing with any thought or delusion they have. So yeah, people who actually play and enjoy video games shit in them. Staying silent leads to the people who make games thinking their audience Wants the shit they demand ad nauseum.

Skyr

Ye unfortunately they have been driven away here too by the usual suspects of hardcore Sony fanbois.
Because according to them they are supposed to be biased towards Microsoft.
It’s a huge loss for the forum so thx very much.

NickFire

Ye unfortunately they have been driven away here too by the usual suspects of hardcore Sony fanbois.
Because according to them they are supposed to be biased towards Microsoft.
It’s a huge loss for the forum so thx very much.
Does anyone really believe this?

Come on - devs that avoid this place either drank the kool aid or are afraid of the fascists at the other place and their media buddies attacking them for posting here.

IntentionalPun

Does anyone really believe this?

Come on - devs that avoid this place either drank the kool aid or are afraid of the fascists at the other place and their media buddies attacking them for posting here.
Errr.. I mean..

Here you are playing victim again. Oh showing off that you have a bigger dick with your collection that you probably got for free or didn't even pay for with your money? Nobody gives a shit. Your site is biased and it clearly shows. Your name is tied with Digital Foundry, deal with it. If you had any ounce of ethic you would've spoke up but no you can't stand up to your bosses who puts food on your table. For a guy that dissects games, you can't even tell me that AMD's presentation clearly meant RDNA 2 for both consoles? Are you fucking kidding me. Stop being disingenuous. Go play victim on ree where they worship you guys.

That’s a pretty shitty thing to say but you’re probably right. This feels like such a tiny thing compared to everything else going on, though, so fuck it. I will do as you say and leave.

Oh, and not that it matters, but of course PS5 is RDNA2. I never said otherwise. I just hadn’t seen that presentation until today because I was not in town. I expect amazing things from PS5.

If mods are reading, maybe reach out. I’d like to say just delete my account or maybe a temporary ban would be better. This is my final post here. Appreciate the folks that have been kind. If you want to stay in touch, reach out elsewhere.

NickFire

Errr.. I mean..

He ran off because of that? I completely agree the poster took it to far, but to leave here because of that while still posting at the other place? How does that make sense if a little over zealous fanboy banter scared him off?

Anyway - you got me. Someone claims to have left for a non political bias reason. That will teach me another lesson against generalizing. But my point still stands for the vast majority of devs who post there and not here.

IntentionalPun

He ran off because of that? I completely agree the poster took it to far, but to leave here because of that while still posting at the other place? How does that make sense if a little over zealous fanboy banter scared him off?

Anyway - you got me. Someone claims to have left for a non political bias reason. That will teach me another lesson against generalizing. But my point still stands for the vast majority of devs who post there and not here.
I mean no matter how you feel about them, they are shit talked here endlessly... not exactly where I'd want to post either if I was some known internet person.

And despite this latest fiasco they get their knobs absolutely slobbed over at Resetera; it's almost nothing but praise any time any of their videos are posted.

Look at any time a DF video is posted on NeoGAF; within a few comments you'll see someone talking shit.

And there is in fact a bunch of support for both Dark1X and the rest of DF in the same thread this thread is about. Along with reeeeetards being retards.

Last edited:

GHG

"But dude, we're not harassing!1! We're discussing the games!1! Btw, if you like this game you're bigots/homophobics!"

Defending John(Banned): https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...on-xbox-one-all-consoles.204861/post-34086921

Defending John(Banned) : https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...on-xbox-one-all-consoles.204861/post-34090494

Telling the truth(Banned): https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...on-xbox-one-all-consoles.204861/post-34109145

John finally leaves Resetera : https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...tresses-current-gen-cpus.206310/post-34349847

2 : https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...tresses-current-gen-cpus.206310/post-34355955

"John is not the victim": https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...tresses-current-gen-cpus.206310/post-34355829

Anyone else with half a brain would stop posting there as well.

What's the point of a discussion forum if you can't have a discussion? It's a big bad world out there, you won't agree with everyone, some people are even harmful but you're not going to get anywhere if you have no idea how to have debates and discussions with those who you disagree with.

There are no report spamming functions and ban hammers in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom