• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera just scared off Digital Foundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaySan

Banned
As you think Resetera is a “great forum”, please elaborate on what your criticisms are, and whether they match the bullshit thought control and hypersensitivity-to-the-point-of-nonsense that Reset is trying to put forward here.
I believe the medias job is to inform period. Digital Foundry's video wheter intentionally or not is influencing purchasing decisions on the game and with the developers history of Anti-lgbt comments(not just ingame mind you) i don't think its unreasonable to inform your viewership of that.

DF/Eurogamer don't want to rock the boat with their viewership which is fair, but that is a choice and for that i feel my criticisms are waranted.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I believe the medias job is to inform period. Digital Foundry's video wheter intentionally or not is influencing purchasing decisions on the game and with the developers history of Anti-lgbt comments(not just ingame mind you) i don't think its unreasonable to inform your viewership of that.

DF/Eurogamer don't want to rock the boat with their viewership which is fair, but that is a choice and for that i feel my criticisms are waranted.

I'm sure you receive thank you letters from the LBQT community daily. Keep on fighting warrior!

D dark10x is a great guy and i hope he does come back. My criticisms are not of Dark solely, but DF and Eurogamer as a whole and i hope he understands that and not take it personally.
Honestly why do you care? I mean if they put up a disclaimer are you going to do a little fist bump and feel proud? Worry about important things in you're life, not nonsense like this.

Saber

Gold Member
D dark10x is a great guy and i hope he does come back. My criticisms are not of Dark solely, but DF and Eurogamer as a whole and i hope he understands that and not take it personally.

You did not defending him and neither try to be good sports talking about tech and leaving the political issues for another thread.

You supported people demands for him to put disclaimer on videos that are technical and he(and DF crew) has no obligation to put any kind of answer just because of you or that bunch of clowns feel like it. Even later, you showed dissapointing for him not doing so.

You may tell people that but I have no reason to believe you wish good things to John. I hope he never comes back to forums(Gaf included), so at least he shouldn't listen to demand of clowns, yourself included.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I believe the medias job is to inform period. Digital Foundry video wheter intentionally or not is influencing purchasing decisions on the game and with the developers history of Anti-lgbt comments(not just ingame mind you) i don't think its unreasonable to inform your viewership of that.

Reminder that the in-game anti-LGBT comment in question, is apparently a parody soap bottle labeled ‘Ogay’.

Is that anti-LGBT? Or ridiculous paranoia that deserves no place in mainstream discussion, much less a technical channel that wasn’t even reviewing the game, but providing an analysis of the technology behind it?

As far as the developers’ private comments, I don’t care. Nobody should. This idea of, we’re going to control what you say by attacking your income/products/job, is simply authoritarianism-lite, with a through line back to the worst communist regimes.

You should recognize it as such, and excise it from your thinking.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I believe the medias job is to inform period.
media has a lot of jobs. informing is not the sole purpose of media. imo you are confusing "journalism" here with "all media"

they are a technically minded video series. they aren't addressing every aspect. their job is NOT to inform you on every aspect of a game. they are weighing in on technical issues.
Digital Foundry's video wheter intentionally or not is influencing purchasing decisions on the game and with the developers history of Anti-lgbt comments(not just ingame mind you) i don't think its unreasonable to inform your viewership of that.
i do think it is unreasonable to expect a channel that prioritizes technical performance to do deep dives into content and meta issues. you are holding them to a standard that they are not trying to meet. you seem to want them to be super journalists or something. they aren't. they are there to do technical analysis. that's it.

you can ask them to do this, which is fine. but you aren't just asking them. you have been demanding this all day long, across several forums. you are being unreasonable with this demand.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Could you imagine if every piece of media required a disclaimer for inappropriate Easter eggs before discussing?

Should there be a disclaimer in front of every discussion of LOTR movies/games regarding Tolkien’s bigotry?

LOL have you been under a rock?

Burt Macklin

Neo Member
Just because you might be technically correct on an issue doesn’t mean you should be a self righteous twat about it either. I don’t agree with stuff in the game but in the grand scheme chasing a respected member away makes you no better than the alt right trolls you want to combat. Era is incapable of fighting a battle without becoming what they claim to hate. How many people do they need to chase away before they do some self introspection?

The mods cater to the militant without realizing they’ll be the first to claim they’re being targeted and up and leave. I’m a pretty left wing person when all is said and done but the shit I see from that place makes them no better than the alt right. I may agree with some of their over all views but won’t let them trick me into thinking they aren’t as militant as what they “fight”

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the ironic thing is HE IS ON THE SAME TEAM AS THEM

like, even he agrees

sewzH3c.png

but no, that's not enough, you have to force him to change his behavior. he has to prove his fealty to The Cause by posting a disclaimer.

it's not enough that he is on your side, he has to prove it, with some bullshit thing that you can sell as "a win". because ultimately, that's what this is about. it's about controlling people. i doubt anyone thinks John is a homophobe, but he still has to perform this struggle session in order to prove his worth to the Cult. it's a ritual meant to be performed in the fucked up secular religion of outrage, lest he be cast out as a heretic. "purge the unclean!!!"

the ironic thing is, this kind of culture warring is doing the exact opposite of it's goals. you are driving people away. you are radicalizing people. you are behaving like a fascist. it would be funny if it wasn't scary.

Last edited:

like, even he agrees

sewzH3c.png

but no, that's not enough, you have to force him to change his behavior. he has to prove his fealty to The Cause by posting a disclaimer.

it's not enough that he is on your side, he has to prove it, with some bullshit thing that you can sell as "a win". because ultimately, that's what this is about. it's about controlling people. i doubt anyone thinks John is a homophobe, but he still has to perform this struggle session in order to prove his worth to the Cult. it's a ritual meant to be performed in the fucked up secular religion of outrage, lest he be cast out as a heretic. "purge the unclean!!!"

the ironic thing is, this kind of culture warring is doing the exact opposite of it's goals. you are driving people away. you are radicalizing people. you are behaving like a fascist. it would be funny if it wasn't scary.

You never win trust with a hate site like Era. You just temporarily maintain their calm.

Eventually, they will come for you. They are an unhinged cult and you can never pander enough for them.

Last edited:
with the developers history of Anti-lgbt comments(not just ingame mind you)
Even in the game, it's not ANTI-lgbt. That's such a generalization, it's stunning. It wasn't anti-anything. In the game, outside the game, anywhere.

Expressing reservations about hormone blockers in children isn't anti-lgbt. Making a sophomoric joke in your game isn't anti-lgbt.

These purity checks by the purity police need to stop.

-Arcadia-

Banned

like, even he agrees

sewzH3c.png

So much love for the struggle session reference (and the post in general). People should look that wonderful bit of history up, and compare it to what’s happening today.

like, even he agrees

sewzH3c.png

Fuck him then. He deserves to be with the other cowards like him.

mortal

Gold Member
It was inevitable. They keep banning and chastising all of the reasonable and rational posters on there.
They're going to keep bleeding them all away and burn through what remains of their good will.

Going through the read it's funny how they're just banning random people that support D dark10x , but they aren't banning their verified users expressing the same sentiment
Also I have no idea why he's being os apologetic for. He didn't do anything wrong and doesn't owe any of them shit. Never apologize to a mob.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Fuck him then. He deserves to be with the other cowards like him.
lol how about he can have his own damn opinion if it isn't affecting the work?

also why call him a "coward"? he didn't remove the video? he didn't add a disclaimer? he just stated his opinion? wtf that's the opposite of being a coward.

that's the problem here. you are just the flip side of the problem. now you are saying fuck him because he agree with them lol. why so reactionary?

i don't have a problem with anyone having an opinion, especially if that isn't tainting their work.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So we’re not much better than, Resetera. Fantastic. Great job, @demigod

I would say we're much better than the REE Asylum. Mod of War Mod of War immediately banned demigod and when other super fans continued to make comments supporting demigod or criticizing John & DF he made a post to knock that shit off.

The Asylum Mods OTOH, supported harassing John and DF and banned people defending him for "Rhetoric rationalizing bigotry"

The thing that bugs me the most is John seems like such a nice laid back guy who truly enjoys games and is proud of the work DF does. I liked it when he posted here and talked about the DF videos in more detail, but all he gets is tons of insults and harassment from both places. It's too bad some of super fans here get offended as easily as the worst SJWs if their plastic toy doesn't get the praise and respect they feel is due Sony.

lol how about he can have his own damn opinion if it isn't affecting the work?

that's the problem here. you are just the flip side of the problem. now you are saying fuck him because he agree with them lol. why so reactionary?

i don't have a problem with anyone having an opinion, especially if that isn't tainting their work.
You've flipped it. He's fine to have an opinion, he's a coward for not standing by his opinions.

In that quote he said he never realised what the content was when he made the video. So either he did know and then lied about it or he didn't know because it isn't important and then lied about that.

He flip flopped from not knowing to "fuck those guys" in two paragraphs.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

like, even he agrees

sewzH3c.png

Why is John even explaining himself to them? What the fuck dude, just ignore them and move on. You don't owe those people anything.

I thought he finally saw Reeee for what it is, but this to me sounds more like he is giving in to those clowns.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this seems to be the main argument, that it gives money to bigots.

zX3OQ2w.png

yet doesn't this site promote Marvel movies? films that greatly enrich someone in the Trump administration?

like this guy is getting residuals from Guardians of the Galaxy but James Gunn is a total hero.

almost as if they are entirely full of shit

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
What i don't understand is why people care about them.

Making frametime graphs is not rocket science. Anyone with MSI afterburner can also make those and do it themselves. They had some interesting stuff like going into some graphics technology but i don't consider them really worthwhile especially if you are into hardware tech for a long time. They are great source of info for layman not interested in tech sure but if you are even vaguely PC gamer everything they say is basically common knowledge.

What is worse in last 5 years people started to use their videos and other online tech sites as gospel. If linus/DF/GN says contrary to what you say then you are wrong as if group of people who make youtube videos are somehow better than your average geek without camera.

I guess if you are console gamer their stuff is interesting because it is the first time you actually see someone saying that you can see past 24FPS or something.

TaySan

Banned
I want to clarify that i do not approve of anyone harassing John over this and if people are directly harassing him then that is wrong and should be punished over it. But me simply offering my opinion of disappointment with Df/Eurogamer is not harassment.

Last edited:
What i don't understand is why people care about them.

Come on, they do a lot more than just "making frametime graphs". Even if that were the case, I like to see how different pieces of hardware handle tasks out of pure interest. I hardly have the time and money to go out and buy everything, then test it all for myself, just to see how it runs.

cryptoadam

Banned
You never win trust with a hate site like Era. You just temporarily maintain their calm.

Eventually, they will come for you. They are an unhinged cult and you can never pander enough for them.

Yes wasn't that the whole KitKat incident? Where that trans person got booted off the site because they busted a mod discord group that was transphobic.

At some point they firing squad turns on itself and the snake its own tail. Thats the nature of the oppression olympics.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Can someone clear up if DF left Reeee because they don't agree with their hate and harassment or because John agrees with them and feels like he let them down (kek)?

Kreen101

like, even he agrees

sewzH3c.png

Remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer walks in the AIDS Walk, but doesn't want to wear the stupid ribbon, and is beaten up by the other walkers because "you have to wear the ribbon"? Exact same thing.

DF outside of the turbo aspie retro videos d10x does is complete trash.

And the gang will be back on the site if wichard notices his all important viewer count has taken a hit.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I want to clarify that i do not approve of anyone harassing John over this and if people are directly harassing him then that is wrong and should be punished over it. But me simply offering my opinion of disappointment with Df/Eurogamer is not harassment.

Nobody said you were. Although the sentiment is appreciated.

However, if you can’t accept that the developers have their own opinions in private, or make lighthearted jokes in their games, you’re directly feeding the kind of extremism that enables this behavior, and that’s something you need to understand.

I have a msg for any devs still here, you better put this character in your game or i will fucking scream you hear me?

aaron-philip-is-miley-cyrus-newest-video-vixen-1147203491414204416.webp

START RESPECTING WOMAN NOW!

Also can you please stop with the micro transactions, as a steam punk retro gender queer communist bottom i dont have money to spend

DF outside of the turbo aspie retro videos d10x does is complete trash.

And the gang will be back on the site if wichard notices his all important viewer count has taken a hit.
Would viewership take a hit if they stood their ground and told those complainers to fuck off?

Ion Fury sales showed decreases when they apologized and increases when they walked back the apology.

For whatever reason companies feel the need to walk a thin line with “customers” who aren’t customers.

Some of these people are directing their obsessions and emotion at the wrong person on that DF staff.

John's "problem", he's a nice guy, thus that is like chum in the waters to these sharks.
Agreed. He is a super nice person who is incredibly passionate at what he does. He just wants to talk gaming and tech. That is a no no for Old Gaf.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

You did not expressed your opinion over DF. You expressed dissapointment over the fact that he did not put a disclaimer in their videos(as if he ever needs), as the members in the thread demaned him to do so.

Sorry but no sorry. Still not buying.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What a shitty situation. Folks clearly need to be made aware of Voidpoint's problematic views but it's not John Linneman's job to do that.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Would viewership take a hit if they stood their ground and told those complainers to fuck off?

Ion Fury sales showed decreases when they apologized and increases when they walked back the apology.

For whatever reason companies feel the need to walk a thin line with “customers” who aren’t customers.

Smart business play would be not to get involved altogether, as DF has so far.

SJWs contribute to viewing numbers too, and although they get worked up over incidents like this, they generally will get bored and fuck off to the next controversy in a few days, if you just ignore them.

Remember Nintendo banning gay flags in Smash Bros’s level creator? Quite the crime in Current Year. Didn’t say a word. Didn’t apologize. Didn’t stop. The lack of communication, and dignifying their position with a response, which these people feed on, left them without anything to grab onto, and had them all moving on to the next food source within the week.

The thing about people always looking for the next ‘controversy’ is that they don’t have a lot of bandwidth to spare. Don’t give them what they want, and...

The smartest thing any business can do, is just carry on as usual.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
He’s just submissive. Follows the crowd, so to speak, going back to my point of him not differentiating between bad and good criticism.

A nice guy, but easily manipulated by not-so-nice people.

I agree, but that's also what makes up the majority of that forum. It's people putting way too much stock into what random idiots on the internet are telling them they have to pretend to believe to be "good" people.

The cycle needs to break at some point. All that thrashing from John there was the typical "I'm good too!" act that is such a poison. Think for yourself, Linneman.

Kacho

This is hilarious. GAF ain’t perfect but it’s way better than that Era shithole. They’ve been bleeding users like crazy and losing the DF folks on top of that is a pretty big blow.

Hopefully those guys decide to come back here.

lock2k

Banned
Tell me who you walk with, and I'll tell you who you are. Simple as that.

Idiocy is contagious.

Devs, please stop pandering to braindead cunts.

GreyHorace

My take on this: If I were a developer or someone involved in the technical side of gaming, I'd expect a gaming forum just to deal with that issue. The moment you bring up personal stuff like political leanings or whether or not you said something that could be deemed as 'transphobic', I'm gonna nope on outta there.

Fuck that Omnipresent Big Brother bullshit that they've created on RetardEra. I guess this is another example of them practicing their 2 minutes of hate.

Reactions: GHG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom