• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Is in Its Final Adjustments, Will Be More Action-Oriented.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Capcom revealed new details on the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 3 in this week’s Famitsu magazine, through an interview with Producers Masao Kawada and Peter J. Fabiano. Here are the biggest points brought up in the interview.

Next, we also learned via the Famitsu interview that Resident Evil 3‘s development is pretty much complete. Masao Kawada promised the game definitely won’t be delayed from its April 2020 release. Capcom is currently handling the final adjustments of the game, and these are nearly done too, at around 90%.

This REmake will overall be more action-oriented than Resident Evil 2 Remake, all while keeping the charm of the series. The story in RE3 will be starting before the beginning of RE2 and end after its ending. RE3 will also have more changes compared to its original game than what Capcom did with RE2.

In a new episode of the Japanese Capcom TV, several questions were asked about the game. The hosts answered a few, including saying the supporting cast in the game will be extended a good deal in the remake. They specifically mentioned the character of Dario. If you’re scratching your head on who that is, he’s the character from the beginning of the game freaking out and then locking himself in a container (and also meeting a grisly fate if you go back later in the game).

They also confirmed that the Hunter would be making a return with the Resident Evil 3 remake.

Last edited:

@gkTH

Please retain the survival horror root and avoid more and more action.
You had done with RE5 almost completely action and you know well what is your fans request and what results in RE2 Remake.

I hopefully RE3 (also next in RE series) still maintains survivor horror root with action only little.

Please retain the survival horror root and avoid more and more action.
You had done with RE5 almost completely action and you know well what is your fans request and what results in RE2 Remake.

I hopefully RE3 (also next in RE series) still maintains survivor horror root with action only little.
RE3 was always more action oriented than the previous games. Making it more survival horror would go against the original game.

lol, not to the degree you are pretending. Marginally more than 2.

and when devs say "more action oriented" they're clearly not referring to that marginal difference, buddy
They added a dodge button because of the added number of zombies plus plenty of ammo. I'm not saying RE3was an all out action game, but it definitely leaned more that way. I dont have to pretend when it should be obvious.

Aggelos

I posted that scoop on the other thread. The most import nugget is :

"Capcom is currently working on the second Resident Evil 3 Remake trailer, due out early 2020. This will have more screentime for Carlos and Nemesis. "

Expect Nemesis to be “a lot more ferocious” than Mr. X from Resident Evil 2

There are more characters that have yet to be revealed in the REsistance multiplayer game

The will be a fourteen-page special on Resident Evil 3 Remake in tomorrow’s issue of Famitsu (Alex will try to get a translation of the special out as soon as he can).
Capcom are very pleased with the response to Resident Evil 3 Remake‘s reveal.
While Resident Evil 2 Remake tried to remain faithful to the original game, Resident Evil 3 Remake will be taking many more liberties with the story, and the story we already know will have “arrangements”. Characters are meant to stand out more than they originally did. Dario Rosso and Brad Vickers are examples of this. He will have a much larger role than before, although they can’t get into it too much yet.

27-e1576004224605.png

That was indeed a Hunter β we saw in the reveal trailer, and we should look forward to it working “a bit different” than it did in the original game.

RE3Remake Famitsu Scans here!

@gkTH

RE3 was always more action oriented than the previous games. Making it more survival horror would go against the original game.

I'm OK, and always OK, with action added in original RE3, but considering a degree of what it was in RE5 is not my preference.
My point is only to not do it action-oriented while retain the root of RE series as survivor horror. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_winking:

Arachnid

and when devs say "more action oriented" they're clearly not referring to that marginal difference, buddy
No, you're downplaying it. OG RE3 had higher enemy counts at once, more ammo and weapons (including automatics), explosions, faster pace, tons of action, a sprinting Tyrant, and a dodging mechanic. It's where the series went more action oriented (people incorrectly credit 4 with that), which is what the devs were going for. 3 was straight up adrenaline (IMO that always clashed with the fixed camera style; it's why it's my second least favorite of the OG style games).

EDIT: Not saying that I like the more action heavy slant the remake is going to go with, of course. The original had more than enough of that already.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

These RE3make threads always reveal the people who have never played the original.

RE3 is an action game. The ratio of ammo to enemies tilts WAAAAY on the side of ammo, and that's not from having a lack of enemies. RE3 has, by far, the most amount of enemies of the original trilogy.

Doesn't RE3 have a limited inventory? Not really. You start with 8 slots, and are given a free side pack early in the game giving you 10 slots, so you never have to worry about not being able to carry a key item, unless you are carrying all the massive amounts of ammo you are given.

Jill's mobility improved quite a bit with the dodge, emergency evade, and quick 180 turn--all changes to keep things fast paced and action based. Explosive barrels are placed throughout the environments, and the "choose your own adventure" choices are basically action movie cliff hangers that end in an explosion. Hell, nearly everything begins and ends in an explosion in RE3, haha.

Then there is Nemesis. He has a fucking rocket launcher. Can you get more action-y than that? Sure, you can run in fear, but the item upgrades he drops encourage you to take him on. The last drops being the shotgun the T-800 uses in Terminator 2 and infinite ammo for any weapon of choice.

Don't let the fixed camera and tank controls fool you; RE3 has always been an action game.

Last edited:

Coflash

Saying RE3 was more action oriented than RE1 and RE2 is true, but the way some people seem to discuss it here makes it sound like it was some gung-ho shooter.

For example:

8E7GAbr.png

RE3 still had tank controls and the mechanics were largely the same as the first two games. While it contained more action than any previous game, it was hardly anything like RE5, RE6, RE7 (and so on). Not that it bothers me, I've already paid for it on Steam, but there's a big difference.

Relative to the changes between classic RE1 > RE2 > RE3, I'm betting this game will be far more action packed.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
More action is exactly the reason Resident Evil franchise was going to shit and Resident Evil 7 is fondly looked at as a revival of the brand. Just to say we're going back to the action that alienated many fans. Remake 2 sold well because of the survival and less action. Sure RE3 was a lot more action orientated than RE1 and 2. But Capcom is probably going to turn up the action part to RE5 / 6 level. Which will be very disappointing

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Saying RE3 was more action oriented than RE1 and RE2 is true, but the way some people seem to discuss it here makes it sound like it was some gung-ho shooter.

For example:

8E7GAbr.png

RE3 still had tank controls and the mechanics were largely the same as the first two games. While it contained more action than any previous game, it was hardly anything like RE5, RE6, RE7 (and so on). Not that it bothers me, I've already paid for it on Steam, but there's a big difference.

Relative to the original RE3, I'm betting this game will be far more action packed.
I could just as easily make a chart with RE5 on the low end of "action-ness" and RE6 on the high end. Heck, I could put Bayonetta even higher than RE6. This graph is completely superfluous. Of course there are games with more action elements than RE3, that doesn't mean RE3 isn't an action game. Bringing up tank controls doesn't mean much--RE4 uses them, too.

But I do get what you're saying. RE3 still does play a lot like RE1 and RE2, but, in terms of action, I'd say it leans closer to something like RE4 than RE1. The time for slow exploration through spooky hallways and ammo conservation are long over by the time you boot up RE3. Of the classic RE games, it makes the most sense to go over-the-shoulder action with RE3.

More action is exactly the reason Resident Evil franchise was going to shit and Resident Evil 7 is fondly looked at as a revival of the brand. Just to say we're going back to the action that alienated many fans. Remake 2 sold well because of the survival and less action
Interesting thing to say considering RE2make has quite a bit more action than RE7.

Also, is it safe to assume you haven't played the original RE3?

Virex

Banned
I could just as easily make a chart with RE5 on the low end of "action-ness" and RE6 on the high end. Heck, I could put Bayonetta even higher than RE6. This graph is completely superfluous. Of course there are games with more action elements than RE3, that doesn't mean RE3 isn't an action game. Bringing up tank controls doesn't mean much--RE4 uses them, too.

But I do get what you're saying. RE3 still does play a lot like RE1 and RE2, but, in terms of action, I'd say it leans closer to something like RE4 than RE1. The time for slow exploration through spooky hallways and ammo conservation are long over by the time you boot up RE3. Of the classic RE games, it makes the most sense to go over-the-shoulder action with RE3.

Interesting thing to say considering RE2make has quite a bit more action than RE7.

Also, is it safe to assume you haven't played the original RE3?
Yes I have. And you will see I updated my post in case someone asked that because god forbid someone doesn't lay down their complete history and deep knowledge of the Resident Evil franchise so people can cower and bask in the glory of their knowledge in every post. RE2 was more action than 7 but a lot more survival horror than 4 / 5 / 6 survival action

Last edited:

SuperGooey

RE2 was more action than 7 but a lot more survival horror than 4 / 5 / 6 survival action
For sure! I think RE3 classic definitely falls somewhere between RE2make and RE4 in terms of action, so I think it's safe to expect the remake of 3 to be placed somewhere there. There will probably be more melee options, ala RE5/RE6, but the level design and puzzles will be much more in line with RE2make.

Haha, and just like that, I'm kinda referencing the graph Coflash Coflash posted--the one I made fun of.

Last edited:

manuels

Neo Member
I hope they actually do something with the game and dont just see it as cheap asset dump, Resident Evil3 compared to 1 and 2 always felt like "dlc" more than a standalone.

Dada55000

They added a dodge button because of the added number of zombies plus plenty of ammo. I'm not saying RE3was an all out action game, but it definitely leaned more that way. I dont have to pretend when it should be obvious.
Oh shit, they added mechanics and more zombies and ammo! Didn't do that with RE2 at all.

You do have to pretend booh, pretend that you aren't making a disingenuous argument. It's one size fits all bullshit you could throw at each sequel pre-4 to validate yourself. And in this case it's double disingenous, since the devs aren't operating on your "well ackshually" mindset when they say more action oriented. They mean what normal fucking people think they mean.

No, you're downplaying it. OG RE3 had higher enemy counts at once, more ammo and weapons (including automatics), explosions, faster pace, tons of action, a sprinting Tyrant, and a dodging mechanic. It's where the series went more action oriented (people incorrectly credit 4 with that), which is what the devs were going for. 3 was straight up adrenaline (IMO that always clashed with the fixed camera style; it's why it's my second least favorite of the OG style games).

EDIT: Not saying that I like the more action heavy slant the remake is going to go with, of course. The original had more than enough of that already.
3 is to 2, what 2 was to 1. You could say the same exact thing for 2, most of your paragraph listing stuff would stay the same too. Ffs, you listed explosions, the game starts with a tanker exploding in the middle of the street and ends with an underground facility blowing the fuck up as you narrowly Mission Impossible out in the last second.

These RE3make threads always reveal the people who have never played the original.

RE3 is an action game. The ratio of ammo to enemies tilts WAAAAY on the side of ammo, and that's not from having a lack of enemies. RE3 has, by far, the most amount of enemies of the original trilogy.

Doesn't RE3 have a limited inventory? Not really. You start with 8 slots, and are given a free side pack early in the game giving you 10 slots, so you never have to worry about not being able to carry a key item, unless you are carrying all the massive amounts of ammo you are given.

Jill's mobility improved quite a bit with the dodge, emergency evade, and quick 180 turn--all changes to keep things fast paced and action based. Explosive barrels are placed throughout the environments, and the "choose your own adventure" choices are basically action movie cliff hangers that end in an explosion. Hell, nearly everything begins and ends in an explosion in RE3, haha.

Then there is Nemesis. He has a fucking rocket launcher. Can you get more action-y than that? Sure, you can run in fear, but the item upgrades he drops encourage you to take him on. The last drops being the shotgun the T-800 uses in Terminator 2 and infinite ammo for any weapon of choice.

Don't let the fixed camera and tank controls fool you; RE3 has always been an action game.
No, these threads reveal the people that love to fart out 'ackshually' and then get high off their own fumes. To treat the jump from 2 to 3 as "the point" where it becomes action is point blank retarded, since it's based on arguments you could apply to the jump from 1 to 2. Expansion and addition of mechanics, smoothing over combat, more plentiful resources and combat encounters, more generous design, action movie shit. It's stupid, as if the distance between even RE4 and 3 wasn't quadrupled over the distance between RE1 to CVX.

Gatekeeping this dumb, it's missing the forest for a bush. And arguing plot is the worst aspect too, since then you'd end up saying RE1 was an action game, since it's action schlock garbage.

SuperGooey

Oh shit, they added mechanics and more zombies and ammo! Didn't do that with RE2 at all.

You do have to pretend booh, pretend that you aren't making a disingenuous argument. It's one size fits all bullshit you could throw at each sequel pre-4 to validate yourself. And in this case it's double disingenous, since the devs aren't operating on your "well ackshually" mindset when they say more action oriented. They mean what normal fucking people think they mean.

3 is to 2, what 2 was to 1. You could say the same exact thing for 2, most of your paragraph listing stuff would stay the same too. Ffs, you listed explosions, the game starts with a tanker exploding in the middle of the street and ends with an underground facility blowing the fuck up as you narrowly Mission Impossible out in the last second.

No, these threads reveal the people that love to fart out 'ackshually' and then get high off their own fumes. To treat the jump from 2 to 3 as "the point" where it becomes action is point blank retarded, since it's based on arguments you could apply to the jump from 1 to 2. Expansion and addition of mechanics, smoothing over combat, more plentiful resources and combat encounters, more generous design, action movie shit. It's stupid, as if the distance between even RE4 and 3 wasn't quadrupled over the distance between RE1 to CVX.

Gatekeeping this dumb, it's missing the forest for a bush. And arguing plot is the worst aspect too, since then you'd end up saying RE1 was an action game, since it's action schlock garbage.
Instead of countering any of my points, you call me retarded and a gatekeeper. Classy.

I'll bring up the only point you made that wasn't a childish insult: Resident Evil 2 is more action-based than RE1, yes. Honestly, I think it's riding that action/horror line; it even has less puzzles than either RE1 or RE3. It makes sense considering Kamiya was at the helm, but RE3 definitely takes the action much farther for the reasons I mentioned in my post.

Going back to the main point (which I may have lost focus of)-- No one who has played classic RE3 should be surprised that the remake is more action-based than RE2make. Whether you agree that RE3 classic was an action game or a survival-horror game, there is no question that RE3 has the most action game elements of the trilogy.

I hope they actually do something with the game and dont just see it as cheap asset dump, Resident Evil3 compared to 1 and 2 always felt like "dlc" more than a standalone.
I'm curious. What are your reasons for thinking that?

Last edited:

Coflash

I could just as easily make a chart with RE5 on the low end of "action-ness" and RE6 on the high end

Why would you waste your time doing that? What would that have to do with RE3?

No matter what you plot on a graph - RE3 isn't going to be anywhere near the side of every action packed sequel or spin-off that came after it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Having finished both original games for the first time in the last year, 3 is way more action heavy than 2, from the word go.

It's not a bad thing but it was immediately noticeable playing them so close to one another.

Last edited:
Original RE3 not action huh, let's see
1- Fully Auto Assault rifle. check
2-Grenade launcher with plenty of ammo. check
3-Two Shotguns. check
4-Magnum and enhanced handgun ammo. check
5-Rocket launcher. check
Oh and did i mention, PLENTY OF AMMO TO DOWN NEMESIS EVERY SINGLE TIME AND GET 3 HEALTH SPRAYS OR A PIECE OF A STRONG WEAPON!
Any way i can't wait for this game.

SuperGooey

No matter what you plot on a graph - RE3 isn't going to be anywhere near the side of every action packed sequel or spin-off that came after it.
I don't know. I feel RE3 to RE4 feels like a natural progression, like RE1 to RE2. After adding explosive barrels, making nearly every environment an action setpiece, dodging, enemies as complex as Nemesis, etc., the updates made in RE4 makes sense. The main changes are really just the level design being a bit more linear and enemies dropping ammo (which we were already seeing with Mr. X and Nemesis).

It's interesting. All RE fans try to spot the exact moment where the series went from survival horror to action. A lot of times people will have you think that RE4 is a complete betrayal of what an RE game is, but I think the series from the beginning always ended on an action game-y note. RE1 is obviously survival horror, but you end off the game blowing up a huge monster dude with a rocket launcher. RE2 kinda picks up from there, and ends on an even bigger action set piece. RE3 literally starts with Jill being flipping out of an exploding apartment!

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: RSB

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That was obvious, RE2 happened in the aftermath of the outbreak.
While RE3 was during the outbreak.
I expect a lot more zombie's and enemies and things just going to shit.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
RE3 WAS more action than 2, but not by a huge margin. I’m hoping g that’s orb dodges and stuff it doesn’t go back to feeling like the train wreck that was 6. All you need to do is base it on RE2 remake, and maybe add a Lin extra button that dodges.

Anyway...

The biggest issue that needs fixing is Nemeses. The original design was awesome but I just can’t look at this new one without laughing, it looks terrible.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m there day one. But Nemesis just looks daft with that face and teeth and al those “caution” stickers. Caution?! No shit! Will they add “careful I bite” badges to the zombies too?!

Airbus Jr

Banned
RE3 is the peak RE for me

It has the perfect balance of action horror and story

Nemesis might not be the strongest BOW anymore but hes deff one of the most memorable and iconic villain

Last edited:

dan76

They might go more action, but at least the setting is still proper RE. I'm looking forward to more enemies and guns so long as it keeps that deliberate pacing that Remake 2 had. I think it will considering it's been developed at the same time etc.

The action focus of 5 and 6 wasn't great, but that was a lot to do with the environments, the fact that they weren't even trying to be scary and the forced co-op ( which was enjoyable but killed any atmosphere ).

Some of these comments are mind boggling. RE2 added a little action and RE3 was so much action. Must be a blind person if you can't see the obvious. The people that think RE3 isn't action probably think RE4 doesn't have tank controls either.

JimmyJones

Banned
RE 1, 2, 3, CV:X and RE0 = Proper Survival Horror.

All the rest = Action games.

People saying the original RE3 was an action game are being disingenuous. Silent Hill 3 had a machine gun, does that make it an action game compared to SH2?

Last edited:
RE 1, 2, 3, CV:X and RE0 = Proper Survival Horror.

All the rest = Action games.

People saying the original RE3 was an action game are being disingenuous. Silent Hill 3 had a machine gun, does that make it an action game compared to SH2?
Who has said RE3 was an action game? Saying it was more action oriented isn't the same as saying it was straight up an action game are completely different. Disingenuous lol

H4ze

Well well, the discussion here is something.. special xD

I for myself can't get wait to play it :D

Fushitsusha

Banned
You don't know that. Reading this thread, it's like many of you didn't even play RE3. Certainly as mentioned, RE3 is more action oriented compared to the previous two by fact. It would only be natural to keep that in the remake. When Capcom says more action oriented and you start thinking it's going all out Call of Duty... well, that's your own faulty impression.

What the hell are some of you even arguing? What a joke thread.

Sygma

Im genuinely curious where the action is in RE2. never played the game, did route A in hard in about ~4 hours on Claire and all I did was shooting knees and exploiting animations because there was no point to actually waste ammo or anything on other than 1) lickers 2) the awful bosses

RE 3 being more of a 3rd person shooter is actually appealing to me to be honest, as someone who loved Dead Space - Evil Within and didn't like RE 4

ESPOMAN

RE3 has a lot of action compared to 1 and 2 I always really liked it. Hopefully the mine thrower makes an appearance and Nemesis dropping items

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Guess this won't be a day one buy for me then. I don't trust Capcom enough to make another good action based Resident Evil.

I still plan on getting the game but now I will be waiting not only for critic reviews but users reviews as well. If they do it good enough then I will get it but if it is anything like RE6 or too focused on action I may pass as I don't really enjoy that for this series.

Kinda like the survivor short play sections they added to the second one. I tried one and quickly realized this was not for me.

Shakka43

As long as they don't make the zombies dissolving Jell-o freaks like in RE6 I welcome more action and enemies on screen for this one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You can have both. The 2 Revelations games are very well balanced blend between tradition survival horror and action. Although I suspect the original Dead Space is perhaps a more popular illustration.

The crucial thing for me is that the fundamental mechanics need to be able to support both approaches. Having characters that you feel could be strong had they an improved arsenal and ammo-supply is vital, as is having enemies that are more than just shambling bullet-sponges.

My problem with the "purity" of RE2R was that both these aspects were so dumbed down that there was nowhere for the gameplay to go beyond the vanilla survival horror experience. Combat could never be anything more than a simplistic affair because that was all the mechanics supported.

I want both, because I know provided the atmosphere is thick enough, the storytelling tight enough, and there are serious constraints on ammo/ordnance to prevent the game from becoming a shooting gallery (minimizing the "monster threat" in the process), you can still have a great survival horror experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSB

Ingeniero

I'm ok with more action and ammo in RE:3.
As long as its not Doom level of action of course.

Running around dark alleys with no one to shoot at gets boring fast.

Belmonte

I would be worried if we weren't talking about RE3.

This remake needs to be more action oriented than REmake 2. Obviously they should not do RE6 Michael Bay craziness style of action but RE3 should have more focus in shooting. If RE1 is Alien and RE2 is Teminator, RE3 is more close to From Dusk until Dawn.

Not Michael Bay though.

Aion002

Cool!! I like every type of Resident Evil....

Well... With the exceptions of Gun Survivor (ps1) and Umbrella Corps.... Those things shouldn't exist.

Anyway... I felt that RE2R would be more complete with an action oriented mercenaries mode.... Maybe RE3R will have it.

Saber

Never was much fan of the road RE is taking. But I guess the ones who like RE2 remake might not like this route. Unless they meant that they just copy RE3 straight(kinda captain obvious).

Who has said RE3 was an action game? Saying it was more action oriented isn't the same as saying it was straight up an action game are completely different. Disingenuous lol

Theres a member in this thread stating that RE3 is indeed a action game, with a lot agreeing with him.

I for one sure can agree that RE3 has more action compared to 1 and 2. But its in no way an action game...unless I have played and beat a different game with the same name.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
While I liked RE3 it was overshadowed by how much better RE1 and RE2 was at the time.

I hope Capcom can make a game in the level of first two with that chance to remake it.

VertigoOA

Banned
RE3 was comparatively a quite a bit more action driven than rE2 to begin with. I didn’t dislike it then, so it would make sense for that to still be true.

I actually havent played REmake2 and the original game is one of my favorite experiences ever.

someday...

Last edited:

Aggelos

While I liked RE3 it was overshadowed by how much better RE1 and RE2 was at the time.

I hope Capcom can make a game in the level of first two with that chance to remake it.

According to the backstory in cvfreak's analysis and judging by how RE3 started its life (it was meant to be a spin-off game geared towards the so-called underground Biohazard community that would accept its quirky and strange features) RE3 Nemesis was quite a successful game.
Truly successful..... Unexpectedly successful.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom