• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 Is in Its Final Adjustments, Will Be More Action-Oriented.

Most people didn't even play Resident Evil 3, that's why everyone's losing their SHIT about the more action oriented approach. RE3 had much more action than the previous games combined, so shut the fuck up.
Yeah, came to say this and I'm not even a major fan of the franchise (RE4 Wii is my favorite, if that gives away how much of a RE casual I am).

RE3 was all about the action. Far more ammo and more powerful guns available, which made sense because of Nemesis. The big wrinkle is the engine still sucked.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We should remaster every series every generation, it's incredible what they're doing with these remasters for gamers that haven't played them.

sunnysideup

Banned
Here is a longplay of the game.

Its not an action game in any way or form. Its an classic adventure game and a survival horror game. On average you are running in an empty hallway rather than shooting shit.

Yeah, came to say this and I'm not even a major fan of the franchise (RE4 Wii is my favorite, if that gives away how much of a RE casual I am).

RE3 was all about the action. Far more ammo and more powerful guns available, which made sense because of Nemesis. The big wrinkle is the engine still sucked.
Exactly. I've never played the Wii version of RE4, but I've heard a lot of people find it to be the best version due to the motion controls actually working really well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The only horror related things about RE3 is the pressure from Nemesis and the tone of isolation. Otherwise you're gunning things down with relative ease. It was always more action based than the games that came before it. A dodge mechanic? Bruh... RE3 did add the best mechanic to the franchise and that's quick turning.

Last edited:
Ahh the good old internet and it's cries of the end being nigh.

More action oriented doesn't strictly mean, a pure action game. By that logic REMake2 was way more action oriented than RE2 and now you want REMake3 to be more like REMake2 but REMake3 will be closer to REMake 2 than it will to RE4.

What i'm trying to say is, Trust Capcom.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don't want to see it go "over the top action" similar to RE5 and RE6. Dead Space 2 was also had more action compare to first game but still was proper survival horror, as long its like that then I don't mind.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m not going to sit here and tell people things about a game I haven’t played, but even I’ve heard of RE3 being more action-based, so the news in the OP seemed to make sense to me.

Additionally, with this arriving so close to RE2 (one year is unheard of these days), it makes sense for RE3 to distinguish itself. If that’s also faithful to the classic version, I have no issue with that, and it seems like good news all around to me.

-Someone who prefers RE as scary as possible

I haven't played RE3 but I've heard multiple times it's more actiony than RE2. All he's saying is were gonna stay true to the original so good news.

Arnas

OK so i have been watching RE3 trailer again and i think i saw nemesis with a leather mask

pic 1

leather-mask-1.jpg

That is his hearth pump zipped in a leather sleeve

pic2
leather-mask-2.jpg

pic3
Resident-Evil-3-Announcement-Trailer-mp4-snapshot-01-22-883.jpg

very grainy mage, but where you see the arrows , i think that is his visor eye lash .that would explain why his STARS signature sounds so muffled, because he is talking through his mask.

pic4

Resident-Evil-3-Announcement-Trailer-mp4-snapshot-02-39-459.jpg

Another interesting shot , this shows the hearth pump and the red wire that you see in his promotional art work. don't know what purpose that serves maybe it is some kind of hydraulic fluid ?

Last edited:

J3nga

how long has this game been in development seems rushed since RE2 remake just came out
As a matter of fact RE3 has had a lot more fluent development process than 2. It's been in the development for 2.5 years as of now and made by a different team. 2 has been re-worked a couple of times I believe.

Last edited:
I don't see how it would even be possible to remake 3 in the same fashion as 2. Number 2 is a clone of the RE1 structure mostly, while RE3 was a linear action romp with long corridors until the clock tower? Just hoping it's good.

JimmyJones

Banned
Most people didn't even play Resident Evil 3, that's why everyone's losing their SHIT about the more action oriented approach. RE3 had much more action than the previous games combined, so shut the fuck up.

When will this meme end? RE3 was still a slow paced survival horror compared to NU-Re.

The newer game is closer to RE4-5 than it is the older games. That is a FACT bitch!

Resident Evil 3 Remake being "more action-focused" to me makes a lot of sense. I say this as someone who absolutely loves the classic style games, and as someone who was adamant that the RE2 remake NEEDED to be fixed camera angles until Capcom came along and proved me wrong. With how RE7 and RE2 both felt, Capcom has earned my faith that they can make a good game. Resident Evil 3 WAS more action-oriented than the first two entries, but it also maintained a balance where, unless you had optimized the game via speedrunning, you always had to make damn sure you were keeping an eye on your supplies. After Capcom's efforts this generation with the Resident Evil main series (not gonna go into Umbrella Corps), including rereleasing the old Nintendo-exclusive titles up to the soft reboot that 7 was and the amazing remake 2 was, for me they've earned my trust far enough that I won't talk shit about Resident Evil 3 until I've played it myself.

When will this meme end? RE3 was still a slow paced survival horror compared to NU-Re.

The newer game is closer to RE4-5 than it is the older games. That is a FACT bitch!
Boy, bitch boy, when you're given a ROCKET launcher, I want to have the controls and gameplay mechanics to compliment that. I hope they do it right and do it well. Resident Evil 4 was awesome, but it literally controlled like ASS.

lestar

Resident-Evil-3-Announcement-Trailer-mp4-snapshot-02-39-459.jpg

Another interesting shot , this shows the hearth pump and the red wire that you see in his promotional art work. don't know what purpose that serves maybe it is some kind of hydraulic fluid ?

Nemesis is a Tyrant, and Tyrants have big hearts, so big that popout of their bodies, I imagine, a Tyrant needs a big heart to power his big mutated and powerfull body. but that's also a weakness, an exposured heart is not a good idea for a killer monster that chase armed people, so I guess the R3make team added him an armor-plate or maybe this nemesis is more powerfull than an average tyrant, so a biological heart was not enough and they put him an artifitial heart.

Last edited:

Arnas

Nemesis is a Tyrant, and Tyrants have big hearts, so big that popout of their bodies, I imagine, a Tyrant needs a big heart to power his big mutated and powerfull body. but that's also a weakness, an exposured heart is not a good idea for a killer monster that chase armed people, so I guess the R3make team added him an armor-plate or maybe this nemesis is more powerfull than an average tyrant, so a biological heart was not enough and they put him an artifitial heart.
i didn't phrase my sentence right. i was talking about the thin red wire going through his heart pump , you see this as well in the promotional art work, i wonder what purpose does it serve

Last edited:

Yoda

RE3 had marginally more action if I remember correctly. I'll caustiously hope this isn't creeping back to RE5/6 territory.

Danjin44

RE3 had marginally more action if I remember correctly. I'll caustiously hope this isn't creeping back to RE5/6 territory.
This, I don’t mind being more “action” as long as it’s not like RE5/6.

Danjin44

Resident Evil 5 is a fucking solid game--one of the best games of last gen and one of the greatest co-op games of all time.

Unfortunately, the boss battles with Wesker are terrible, and Sheva's AI is below average to terrible at times. Still not a garbage game. Not by the long shot.
My problem with RE5 is I play my survival horror games in hard mode from the get go if its possible but if you do that then Shiva's AI will frustrate the crap out of you and make the game absolutely tedious to play. I'm not in to co-op game especially when it comes to survival horror games so for me RE5 was worst game in the series. I wouldn't take that much issue with it if it was just spinoff but this was mainline game and I didn't want action co-op in series best known to for single player survival horror.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Resident Evil 5 is a fucking solid game--one of the best games of last gen and one of the greatest co-op games of all time.

Unfortunately, the boss battles with Wesker are terrible, and Sheva's AI is below average to terrible at times. Still not a garbage game. Not by the long shot.
Early game RE5 is so magical. Late game RE5 is actual suffering. A shame they ended the entire build up to the series there too...

SuperGooey

Early game RE5 is so magical. Late game RE5 is actual suffering. A shame they ended the entire build up to the series there too...
Agreed. RE5 does end weak.

RE5 gets too much shit; it's not nearly as fucked as RE6, but I'll admit that it is flawed. Reading about the early builds of RE5 can be painful. I really wish we got that game instead, but RE5 still managed to be my most played game of last gen.

My problem with RE5 is I play my survival horror games in hard mode from the get go if its possible but if you do that then Shiva's AI will frustrate the crap out of you and make the game absolutely tedious to play. I'm not in to co-op game especially when it comes to survival horror games so for me RE5 was worst game in the series. I wouldn't take that much issue with it if it was just spinoff but this was mainline game and I didn't want action co-op in series best known to for single player survival horror.
When games like RE0, Code Veronica, and RE6 exist, it's hard for me to accept that anyone could find RE5 the worst in the series, but to each their own.

I believe RE5 deserves to be a numbered title. I don't think every mainline RE game has to be a traditional survival-horror, but it is nice to see that the old RE level design has returned with RE7 and RE2make. One thing I miss from the RE4-RE6 days is enemy variety. RE4, in my opinion, has BY FAR the best monsters in the series, and the game perfectly paces out new enemy types until the very end.

Last edited:

Banned
WHAT A SURPRISE!
the Remake of a more action oriented RE game will be more action oriented compared to the remake of an RE game that was less action oriented!

People really need to stop thinking of RE3 as a standard mainline RE game, because it simply isn't. it's a more action oriented spinoff of RE2, it is only called RE3 because the actual RE3 (CV) took too long to finish and wasn't feasible on PS1, but they wanted the PS1 games to be numbered, because that sells better.

the only reason RE3 is RE3 and Code Veronica isn't, is simply... marketing...

on the topic of RE5 vs RE6...
RE6 is clearly the better game.

RE5 was completely ruined by the forced coop, which is annoying as hell if you play solo, and not very engaging if played coop.

RE6 on the other hand is a pretty good coop shooter with really fucking great gameplay and a surprisingly big amount of depth in your moveset.

both games have issues, but RE5 is literally just RE4 but worse in every imaginable way.

so in short:
RE5 = Mediocre Coop Shooter
RE6 = Pretty good Coop Shooter

Last edited:

Caffeine

u can blast your way through re3 they knew it was more action oriented thats why they balanced it out with nemesis always breathing down your neck.
IQsrbfA.jpg

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
WHAT A SURPRISE!
the Remake of a more action oriented RE game will be more action oriented compared to the remake of an RE game that was less action oriented!

People really need to stop thinking of RE3 as a standard mainline RE game, because it simply isn't. it's a more action oriented spinoff of RE2, it is only called RE3 because the actual RE3 (CV) took too long to finish and wasn't feasible on PS1, but they wanted the PS1 games to be numbered, because that sells better.

the only reason RE3 is RE3 and Code Veronica isn't, is simply... marketing...

RE5 was completely ruined by the forced coop, which is annoying as hell if you play solo, and not very engaging if played coop.

RE6 on the other hand is a pretty good coop shooter with really fucking great gameplay and a surprisingly big amount of depth in your moveset.

both games have issues, but RE5 is literally just RE4 but worse in every imaginable way.

so in short:
RE5 = Mediocre Coop Shooter
RE6 = Pretty good Coop Shooter

What's most amazing about RE 5 is all the cut content they planned that would've made it more survival and horror oriented. Also,
Sheva vanished from the RE canon completely which is disappointing, she could've definitely been a MC for the series and didn't deserve to just be rendered a side-kick.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
Boy, bitch boy, when you're given a ROCKET launcher, I want to have the controls and gameplay mechanics to compliment that. I hope they do it right and do it well. Resident Evil 4 was awesome, but it literally controlled like ASS.

People really need to stop thinking of RE3 as a standard mainline RE game, because it simply isn't. it's a more action oriented spinoff of RE2,

0sjdsqt.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
this sums up people who complain about RE4's controls xD
it controls absolutely perfect because every aspect of the game is tailored to work well with its control scheme.

"but muh dual analog controls!" 🤣

I played 5 in the 360 days and had some fun with it.

I downloaded it on Steam a few days ago and it controls like absolute shit compared to 4. This is me coming straight from 4 as well.

I don’t know what it is but it feels clunky as hell compared to the previous.

Banned
I played 5 in the 360 days and had some fun with it.

I downloaded it on Steam a few days ago and it controls like absolute shit compared to 4. This is me coming straight from 4 as well.

I don’t know what it is but it feels clunky as hell compared to the previous.

RE5 is way too action oriented and way too fast compared to 4, but it still keeps basically the same controls... you have the option to use dual stick controls and strafe, but that doesn't help much.

it's just that RE4 is a more well designed game

Arachnid

RE5 gets too much shit; it's not nearly as fucked as RE6, but I'll admit that it is flawed. Reading about the early builds of RE5 can be painful. I really wish we got that game instead, but RE5 still managed to be my most played game of last gen.
Agreed. RE5 was a damn fine game. Do I wish it were more horror oriented and didn't force coop? Sure. Early builds looked fantastic. It was still one of the best coop experiences I've had in gaming, second only to Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

RE6, on the other hand, was a straight up awful game that single handedly (and thankfully) killed the coop/action future of this series. There was no saving grace to it. It looked and played sloppy. It's the only RE game I never went back to play. Hell, I wanted it to be over before I even got halfway through the campaigns.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Great thread, I never played RE3 only saw a few clips from when my uncle had played it early 2000s must have been, and it looked pretty insane

Btw, does anybody know how I can make a new thread? I'm new to NeoGAF

Cutty Flam

Banned
Also, Resident Evil 5 is an excellent game. It was very creative in its own right, and had some excellent moments in the campaign. I loved seeing Chris Redfield in his prime; I used to have a quote of his in that game as my signature on a different forum. The files were definitely on point in RE5 as well, I always enjoyed reading them and thinking about the series and how things happened / went down game to game. It shows the dark side of humanity in a very intriguing way I'm sure most fans have noticed. That's what makes me such an excited fan, they went where nobody else did, and did it without holding back

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only Survival Horror series. I played Dead Space and loved it, 1000 gamerscore'd it on Xbox360 in like 2008 but nothing can ever compare to the Resident Evil games. They're pure classics. Haven't even played The Last of Us and don't care to, it's probably a decent homage to Resident Evil 4 from what I've heard

Danjin44

Also, Resident Evil 5 is an excellent game. It was very creative in its own right, and had some excellent moments in the campaign. I loved seeing Chris Redfield in his prime; I used to have a quote of his in that game as my signature on a different forum. The files were definitely on point in RE5 as well, I always enjoyed reading them and thinking about the series and how things happened / went down game to game. It shows the dark side of humanity in a very intriguing way I'm sure most fans have noticed. That's what makes me such an excited fan, they went where nobody else did, and did it without holding back

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only Survival Horror series. I played Dead Space and loved it, 1000 gamerscore'd it on Xbox360 in like 2008 but nothing can ever compare to the Resident Evil games. They're pure classics. Haven't even played The Last of Us and don't care to, it's probably a decent homage to Resident Evil 4 from what I've heard
I enjoyed Last of Us and I'm looking forward to part 2 but that game IS NOT survival horror, especially compare to Silent Hill, Siren, Resident Evil and Dead Space.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Approximate size
43.01 GB

Top Bottom