• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

Madflavor

Gold Member
..if you what?

That was extra fat I meant to trim out. I was gonna say focus on upgrading only the starter handgun and the shotgun. Craft shotgun ammo from resources. The Rifle is really only needed for El Gigante so you'll have plenty of ammo for that. Shotgun is perfect for Bitores Mendez and the Cabin Defense section. So collecting plenty of treasure along the way is worth it. If you complete Chapter 6 in under two hours you're making great time, so if you feel that you're making good time while you're in Chapter 4, it's okay to go out of your way to collect all the treasure.

March Climber

Gold Member
It took me 3 playthroughs to realize it, but everyone is wrong about which pistol is the best. It’s not the Red 9, it’s not the crit pistols, and it’s not the Blacktail.

The best pistol is the fully upgraded Matilda with stock. I kept wondering why it cost so many spinels to initially unlock and I finally gave it a go.

This is the Halo 2 Battle Rifle of pistols. The triple shot bursts at 2.0 damage each (so 6.0 damage per pulling the trigger) does enough damage to guarantee a stun or outright kill at times on one burst. Not to mention once you upgrade the firing rate it feels like you’re using the Chicago Typewriter.

It’s the weapon of choice for the pistol/knife only run and I’d argue it’s the weapon of choice for that professional run using zero special weapons, since it can emulate a way, way more accurate typewriter.

If only I had known this sooner(especially considering how different remake is from the original in terms of gun balancing) I wouldn’t have bothered struggling with the crit pistol, red 9, and blacktail all this time.

Soodanim

It took me 3 playthroughs to realize it, but everyone is wrong about which pistol is the best. It’s not the Red 9, it’s not the crit pistols, and it’s not the Blacktail.

The best pistol is the fully upgraded Matilda with stock. I kept wondering why it cost so many spinels to initially unlock and I finally gave it a go.

This is the Halo 2 Battle Rifle of pistols. The triple shot bursts at 2.0 damage each (so 6.0 damage per pulling the trigger) does enough damage to guarantee a stun or outright kill at times on one burst. Not to mention once you upgrade the firing rate it feels like you’re using the Chicago Typewriter.

It’s the weapon of choice for the pistol/knife only run and I’d argue it’s the weapon of choice for that professional run using zero special weapons, since it can emulate a way, way more accurate typewriter.

If only I had known this sooner(especially considering how different remake is from the original in terms of gun balancing) I wouldn’t have bothered struggling with the crit pistol, red 9, and blacktail all this time.
I tried the Matilda, but as with OG I found it ate ammo in a big way. In terms of damage output, it definitely can reduce health bars quickly. I wonder how it is on bosses.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I dunno, I disagree. Matilda is only really useful with the stock and cat ears, it burns through ammo.

Red9's max power has shotgun level of power with each bullet.

That's the gun I mained for the minimalist play through and it was as fun as playing through Dead Space with just the plasma cutter. A good, fair but balanced, challenge.

22:22:22

Banned
Hey Guys.

Just to be sure. When I finish a game there's an option to continue on a higher difficulty while remaining your collected setup.

Yes/No

Soodanim

Yes but do you keep your (upgraded) arsenal? That wasn't the case in the OG if remember correctly.
You can buy everything cheap on Assisted then take your maxed out gear into Pro, no limitations at all

You're right, OG wasn't like that

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes but do you keep your (upgraded) arsenal? That wasn't the case in the OG if remember correctly.

Yes. The NG+ in this game is like RE2/RE3 remakes and Village.

You can beat the game on the easiest and NG+ in any difficulty with the same arsenal and use infinite RL.

However, you get locked out of the S+ rank, you can only achieve a max of S rank if using NG+ and some unlockables are tied to getting the S+ rank.

The only way to get S+ is to have it be a new game on any difficulty.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Holy shit, I can't believe how good this game is... still in chapter 7.

Apart from Ashley's heavy breathing, it's a perfect remake.
y'know, just finished replaying re5, & both chris & sheva were occasionally doing close to the same thing. i'd never noticed before...

March Climber

Gold Member
I tried the Matilda, but as with OG I found it ate ammo in a big way. In terms of damage output, it definitely can reduce health bars quickly. I wonder how it is on bosses.
I dunno, I disagree. Matilda is only really useful with the stock and cat ears, it burns through ammo.

Red9's max power has shotgun level of power with each bullet.

That's the gun I mained for the minimalist play through and it was as fun as playing through Dead Space with just the plasma cutter. A good, fair but balanced, challenge.
Combine it with the charms that give you more handgun ammo per craft, and use the suitcase that gives you more gunpowder per pickup or more handgun ammo per pickup.

I guarantee max level Matilda is worth it, it’s why it costs so many damn spinels. The devs knew what they were doing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hardcore S+ done. 5 hours. Have the chicken hat now, but there is no way I am going back to my professional S+ rank run. I quit at the cabin but I just dont see how I get this done with 15 saves in under 5.5 hours.

The chicago sweeper wasnt even that OP. It took forever to mow down people in the castle and even fully maxed out, it was a slog to get through some of these areas.

I will tackle the gun/knife only run next but i still havent unlocked the damn Primal Knife. God knows which of the 16 im missing. I guess with an upgraded Red 9 on assisted, i shouldnt need the unupgraded knife but it would nice to have for the two krauser fights. Really want to do the merchant shop run on the same run.

Soodanim

Hardcore S+ done. 5 hours. Have the chicken hat now, but there is no way I am going back to my professional S+ rank run. I quit at the cabin but I just dont see how I get this done with 15 saves in under 5.5 hours.

The chicago sweeper wasnt even that OP. It took forever to mow down people in the castle and even fully maxed out, it was a slog to get through some of these areas.

I will tackle the gun/knife only run next but i still havent unlocked the damn Primal Knife. God knows which of the 16 im missing. I guess with an upgraded Red 9 on assisted, i shouldnt need the unupgraded knife but it would nice to have for the two krauser fights. Really want to do the merchant shop run on the same run.
I skimmed through part of a YouTube video and the dude didn't do his first save until just before Gigante, which is a lot of playthrough to do really. I decided to do a save or two before that, but I forgot just how many easy deaths come later on. The average of 1 per chapter is absolutely not something you'd want to stick to, replaying some later ones would be such an annoying grind.

As for the Castellans, the end chapter results show a little icon if you have the one from that chapter. I got lucky and noticed that when I had one left to find. You can do the common thing of turning on audio descriptions, but unless you want to search entire chapters and probably still miss them a couple times more, I'd just look the last couple up. There wouldn't be much sense of achievement finding them yourself.

I do wonder if the Handcannon is the better choice for Pro S+, I found it underwhelming but at least it has accuracy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The Chicago Sweeper is ridiculously nerfed (in terms of power) in the remake. In the OG it had a power of 10. In the remake, it starts < 1 and max is 2 ..

March Climber

Gold Member
Useful only with stock and cat ears, like I said :p
I never said not to use the stock. Also, you have to count the reloads in that video. Here is footage without cat ears:

45 bullets in 20 seconds.

51 bullets, 22 seconds.

No other pistol in the game has this level of dps. It’s not even close, and Matilda should qualify as a special weapon. Somehow it doesn’t.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I never said not to use the stock. Also, you have to count the reloads in that video. Here is footage without cat ears:

51 bullets, 22 seconds.

No other pistol in the game has this level of dps. It’s not even close, and Matilda should qualify as a special weapon. Somehow it doesn’t.

Dps wise it’s amazing but on a handgun only run you will be wasting bullets like crazy.

But will definitely use it on bosses.

March Climber

Gold Member
Dps wise it’s amazing but on a handgun only run you will be wasting bullets like crazy.

But will definitely use it on bosses.
You will, and there are ways to manage it. The charms and suitcase I’ve mentioned, and also the less weapon types I had equipped, the less of other ammo types I had from drops and boxes. It’s doable and fun.

Soodanim

51 bullets, 22 seconds.

My guess is it doesn't count as special because the ammo drain is a natural limitation.

However, if you use, say, a Riot Shotgun as your "Get out of my way" for mobs and saved ammo for bosses, it might be a half decent strat.

March Climber

Gold Member
My guess is it doesn't count as special because the ammo drain is a natural limitation.

However, if you use, say, a Riot Shotgun as your "Get out of my way" for mobs and saved ammo for bosses, it might be a half decent strat.
Also, I think pistols have a higher crit rate than other guns and since it bursts 3 shots, that’s 3 individual shots with their own crit rate hitting at once. It leads to the gun feeling way stronger than it should be, because I can unload a full magazine of TMP or LE5 ammo and not do as much damage as unloading the Matilda.

Soodanim

Also, I think pistols have a higher crit rate than other guns and since it bursts 3 shots, that’s 3 individual shots with their own crit rate hitting at once. It leads to the gun feeling way stronger than it should be, because I can unload a full magazine of TMP or LE5 ammo and not do as much damage as unloading the Matilda.
Combined with the accuracy letting you actually hit the weak spot you're aiming for, those numbers quickly add up. Better be quick with the tap if you only want a single shot, though.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Well I beat Salazar after a couple tries. What a bitchy little fight that is. I'm not sure if this is more or less annoying than his fight in the original.

Anyway, onto the island!

Madflavor

Gold Member

I find the Silver Ghost to be the best overall Handgun. The 5x Crit Chance pops a lot of heads in the Village and Castle sections. Matilda does have very high DPS, but the way it chews through ammo can be a problem. But if you're rocking Infinite Ammo, different story entirely.

I never bother with any of the Submachine Guns.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Well I beat Salazar after a couple tries. What a bitchy little fight that is. I'm not sure if this is more or less annoying than his fight in the original.

Anyway, onto the island!

You're already past it so it's a bit late. But that boss is weak to golden eggs, yes, not a joke. Hitting him with a golden egg will cause a lot of damage.

Bartski

Gold Member
Hunk in the Mercenaries is a monster, so much fun. Hitting S on all 3 stages was a piece of cake.

On to my final Hardocre S+ run. Still hate Capcom for tying a 100% on this otherwise amazing game to multiple 4-5 hours long speedruns.
I think I might buy that fucking DLC which at this point grants me infinite ammo for either the Chicago Sweeper or the Handcannon from chapter 2 onwards. Or both.

I'm also missing a treasure model collectible. Google says it's the rhinoceros beetle but it's not, I have that one already. Should I find all three?

SlimySnake

You will, and there are ways to manage it. The charms and suitcase I’ve mentioned, and also the less weapon types I had equipped, the less of other ammo types I had from drops and boxes. It’s doable and fun.
Well unfortunately i couldn’t use the marilda. Seems i never bought it from the merchant in my previous four runs and don’ since i can’t visit the merchant, i won’t be able to unlock it.

No issues with ammo so far. Just got to Ashley. Have sound 100 handgun ammo. Enemies go down in a hit orv two with the red9 and the troll boss went down in seconds. Assisted is the way to go for the no health item, knives/handgun only, no merchant run.

March Climber

Gold Member
I find the Silver Ghost to be the best overall Handgun. The 5x Crit Chance pops a lot of heads in the Village and Castle sections.
Think of it this way, at max level the Matilda has a firing rate that is as fast as you clicking the right trigger. I’ve tested it and I’d say you can shoot around 3 times within a single second if you click the trigger as fast as you can. That’s 7-8 bullets if you’re slightly slower and at best 9 bullets(3 shots). Each pistol bullet has it’s own crit rate and crit potential, which gives you almost 9 chances to make a critical hit. At that point it’s almost a guarantee, plus you’ve already applied a base damage of 18.00 in that one second due to each bullet hitting for 2.0 damage(2.0x3x3).

Compare this to the SG and you’re hoping for a crit chance by firing only 2 shots within that 1 second. The base damage is already low so if it doesn’t crit the enemy may potentially eat the 2 shots like nothing happened.

The math above is why the Matilda is melting every boss enemy on professional in those videos I’ve posted. It’s the ‘Symphony of the Night Crissaegrim Sword’ of handguns.

Just finished it and it was better than I thought it would be. Not perfect but probably the best remake so far. Just makes me feel more annoyed about the Resident Evil 3 Remake. Not that it was bad but rather so much of the content was cut. Resident Evil 4 shows what Capcom are capable of. I really hope this team makes the next remake, but I have a feeling it won't be.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Jeez I'm doing a minimalist and frugalist run on Assisted without the Primal Knife (I'm doing the Castellans too on this run) and jeez this is like Babbie's First Video Game. I didn't even see chainsaw guy in Chapter 1 lol. He's apparently geriatric. 5 Red9 shots kill him in Chapter 3!

killatopak

Gold Member
I still can’t decide if Red 9 is better or his starter or the bonus handgun is. I mean yeah, it pops head easier but it also takes a lot more bullets to kill someone when their plaga pops up. Especially the plaga variant that clings on the ceiling. On professional in this case.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
I still can’t decide if Red 9 is better or his starter or the bonus handgun is. I mean yeah, it pops head easier but it also takes a lot more bullets to kill someone when their plaga pops up. Especially the plaga variant that clings on the ceiling. On professional in this case.

Their mouth is their weak point when they open it. Here’s my take on the Handguns:

Silver Ghost - Best all rounder, highest crit chance.
Sentinel Nine - Basically the SG but higher ammo capacity and slightly less dps.
Blacktail - Designed to be the most balanced, but it doesn’t do anything particularly better than others. It’s better than the SG, until the SG gets it’s exclusive upgrade.
Red 9 - Hardest hitting handgun with over 4.0 dps once fully upgraded. Accuracy sucks.
Matilda - Highest dps, but burns through ammo quick.
Punisher - Just don’t.

I would list the Silver Ghost, Red 9, and Matilda as the best handguns. You can’t go wrong with either of them, except maybe the Matilda since there’s potential depending on what run you’re doing you can end up ammo starved.

killatopak

Gold Member
Their mouth is their weak point when they open it
Yeah, I know about it but you don’t really have the time to wait for them to open their mouth when there’s like 2-3 more Ganado about to mob you. Even if they are alone, do you even crit on a plaga head like a normal one? This one will make it or break it as I haven’t tested it.

I haven’t tried Matilda yet. It seems very wasteful on ammo. On easier difficulties it may be great.

Honestly, if it weren’t for Red 9 taking up a huge space plus the stock, I would use it more. Also the fact that you need spinels to buy the stock is also a minor downside.

22:22:22

Banned
Those Plagas Knights are so awesome. And that red priest who's chants triggers the parasite. Castle is stunning, especially inside. Each room full of ornaments, paintings etc. Played half the way with the villain outfit but switched to the romantic one. Looks so sick. And for some reason the remake is (far) less scary then the OG. Perhaps the visual style/filter or something. Weird because the remake is way more over the top gruesome.. No real point to this post just felt like sharing.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Yeah, I know about it but you don’t really have the time to wait for them to open their mouth when there’s like 2-3 more Ganado about to mob you. Even if they are alone, do you even crit on a plaga head like a normal one? This one will make it or break it as I haven’t tested it.

I haven’t tried Matilda yet. It seems very wasteful on ammo. On easier difficulties it may be great.

Honestly, if it weren’t for Red 9 taking up a huge space plus the stock, I would use it more. Also the fact that you need spinels to buy the stock is also a minor downside.

I don't know if you crit on a large plaga to be honest. Usually if I'm dealing with a large plaga who's accompanied by other ganados, I try to take out the weaker enemies first. I mean obviously it's highly situation. Do you have grenades? Are you backed into a corner? What difficulty? What guns your carrying? Etc etc.

adamsapple

Their mouth is their weak point when they open it. Here’s my take on the Handguns:

Silver Ghost - Best all rounder, highest crit chance.
Sentinel Nine - Basically the SG but higher ammo capacity and slightly less dps.
Blacktail - Designed to be the most balanced, but it doesn’t do anything particularly better than others. It’s better than the SG, until the SG gets it’s exclusive upgrade.
Red 9 - Hardest hitting handgun with over 4.0 dps once fully upgraded. Accuracy sucks.
Matilda - Highest dps, but burns through ammo quick.
Punisher - Just don’t.

I would list the Silver Ghost, Red 9, and Matilda as the best handguns. You can’t go wrong with either of them, except maybe the Matilda since there’s potential depending on what run you’re doing you can end up ammo starved.

Red 9 + stock is stable as fuck. It's my recommended gun for when someone is doing the minimalist (knife + handgun only) run. Max power Red 9 is like 4.5 power, damn near the same as a shotgun blast with every single bullet.

Blacktail is the second best IMO, the fact that it takes up less inventory slots is a big benefit, especially for the first run through a game, where you're not min-maxing.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Red 9 + stock is stable as fuck. It's my recommended gun for when someone is doing the minimalist (knife + handgun only) run. Max power Red 9 is like 4.5 power, damn near the same as a shotgun blast with every single bullet.

Blacktail is the second best IMO, the fact that it takes up less inventory slots is a big benefit, especially for the first run through a game, where you're not min-maxing.

Yeah I ran minimalist on Pro with the Silver Ghost for regular enemies, and Red 9 for tougher enemies and bosses. It's a good combo. Only thing I noticed about the SG crit chance is that it falls off at the Island. Enemies heads pop way less in that section of the game.

killatopak

Gold Member
I don't know if you crit on a large plaga to be honest. Usually if I'm dealing with a large plaga who's accompanied by other ganados, I try to take out the weaker enemies first. I mean obviously it's highly situation. Do you have grenades? Are you backed into a corner? What difficulty? What guns your carrying? Etc etc.
I try to use a handgun most of time so it comes up for me often. I tend to save nades for other situations such a shielded foes or in a chokepoint.

SlimySnake

Jeez I'm doing a minimalist and frugalist run on Assisted without the Primal Knife (I'm doing the Castellans too on this run) and jeez this is like Babbie's First Video Game. I didn't even see chainsaw guy in Chapter 1 lol. He's apparently geriatric. 5 Red9 shots kill him in Chapter 3!
Yeah, assisted is hilariously easy. I got the chainsaw guy to spawn after killing like 8 enemies in one shot each. Then killed a few more in a few seconds and the bell rang before the poor guy even made it to the middle of the village.

I really feel bad for anyone who plays the game in this difficulty because its just way too easy. Maybe its more balanced on NG.

I finished it in Standard the other night. Great game, definitely prefer it over the OG but the OG is still near flawless. My only issue with the OG is the lack of story and exploration. The remake addresses those issues of mine.

Overall though, both versions feel like a slog when nearing the end. I just get tired of fighting mobs of enemies but the remake was really tasteful about not heaping too many waves of enemies on you. Just a personal gripe of mine, nothing I fault the game for. It's all on me. I just get bored with wave upon wave of enemies. In the OG I'm usually beyond done at the tail end of the castle. In remake I was feeling the slog towards the end of the island.

10/10 for me. Nothing mind blowing for me personally but just a damn solid experience and I love what they did with hardened Leon. Still a badass but has that rookie vibe to him.

Capcom once again showing why they are the absolute best in the industry. No one comes close IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom