• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

Just arrived on the Island on Hardcore. Man, Salazar was rough. Almost every attack of his drains your life to the minimum once your armour fails… Just barely made the fight after a couple of attempts.

Love how much sigificance the body armor and knife get in the higher difficulty. I barely used the knife in Standard but now in Hardcore it was my highest priority weapon for upgrades. Knifing the enemies and parrying their attacks is vital here.

Can recommend everyone to at least try the higher difficult. And really don’t use autosave to add more tension.

RNG

Forgot to post this here when I was still playing the game:

GIF by Giphy QA

Rex_DX

Gold Member
You're already past it so it's a bit late. But that boss is weak to golden eggs, yes, not a joke. Hitting him with a golden egg will cause a lot of damage.
Yeah I had read about that in this thread.

It's only my first play through on standard so I kind of wanted to do it legit the first time. Same with a couple of areas that I think I noticed possible skips.

Thanks for the tip tho.

Madflavor

Gold Member
I appreciate how the voice actor for Krauser went for a totally different take. OG Krauser sounded like a cold blooded merc for hire, whereas the new Krauser sound far more unhinged, driven insane by his experiences. When I first heard his voice in the trailer I wasn't sold, but after seeing the type of character they were going for this time, I thought it was perfect.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Well I beat it in 15 hours and 3 minutes. Standard. Handful of deaths. This was a damn good remake!

Still I feel no urge to do subsequent challenge runs or play Mercenaries just now. Not with so much other stuff to play.

That said, I think when the annual/biannual urge to play RE4 kicks in again as it always does it'll be a great time to switch it up and go for the challenges.

Can't wait to return.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch Leon Kennedy actor read Resident Evil 4 cheesy lines. We got everyone's favourite rookie cop, Leon S. Kennedy, voiced and mo-capped by actor Nick Apostolides, to perform cheesy and famous Resident Evil 4 quotes from the original RE4! From Leon screaming about his favourite helicopter pilot, to Saddler and his senior moment, and Salazar with his detachable right hand, here's Leon reading some of the most iconic RE4 cut dialogue. What are your favourite Resident Evil 4 Leon voice lines?

- 💬 Nick Apostolitis, the actor who voiced and did the motion capture for Leon S. Kennedy in the Resident Evil 4 remake, reads some of the original game's cheesy lines that didn't make it to the new version.
- 💬 He expresses his admiration for Paul Mercier, the original voice actor for Leon in RE4, whom he considers a hero and one of the reasons why he became an actor.
- 💬 Nick shares some of his favorite lines from the original game, including Leon's sarcastic remarks, his fighting quips, and the famous "your right hand comes off" scene.
- 💬 He acknowledges that some of these lines didn't fit in the new game's script, but he enjoys revisiting them and sharing his rendition of them with fans.
- 💬 Nick invites viewers to check out other videos about the RE4 remake, including story differences and potential hints at a RE5 remake

GenericUser

Question: I'm trying to finish the game as quick as possible. Inventory management can take quite a few moments from time to time. There is a option to manage your attache case between chapters. Does that time between chapters count towards your total playtime or only the time you really spend playing within a specific chapter?

killatopak

Gold Member
Question: I'm trying to finish the game as quick as possible. Inventory management can take quite a few moments from time to time. There is a option to manage your attache case between chapters. Does that time between chapters count towards your total playtime or only the time you really spend playing within a specific chapter?
Isn’t there an auto sort function for the inventory? Do you prefer to sort them manually? Time between chapters doesn’t count.

Soodanim

I was recently made aware that Capcom still haven't fixed the issue from 2R where you not only can't continue from death, but you can't load from death if you want the timer to reset. Back to the menu each time. No wonder I went over 5:30 on my S+ attempt. What shitty fuckin coding to even retain the time on loading a save when presenting a time challenge to players.
Well I beat Salazar after a couple tries. What a bitchy little fight that is. I'm not sure if this is more or less annoying than his fight in the original.

Anyway, onto the island!
I'm not sure how I feel about this fight either. I think it drags on a bit tbh, even unloading on his exposed face it feels like a bit too much rinse and repeat. Original might have been a bit annoying at times but it didn't outstay its welcome. Plus, you knew where the other Verdugo went.
Just finished it and it was better than I thought it would be. Not perfect but probably the best remake so far. Just makes me feel more annoyed about the Resident Evil 3 Remake. Not that it was bad but rather so much of the content was cut. Resident Evil 4 shows what Capcom are capable of. I really hope this team makes the next remake, but I have a feeling it won't be.
I still wish they would go back and fix 3. Director's Cut, extended edition, anything. Redo the bosses and add Clock Tower, and make it more like the opening area where you get to explore rather than the corridors the game turns into.
Yeah I ran minimalist on Pro with the Silver Ghost for regular enemies, and Red 9 for tougher enemies and bosses. It's a good combo. Only thing I noticed about the SG crit chance is that it falls off at the Island. Enemies heads pop way less in that section of the game.
That's weird, even excluding armoured head ones? I hope Capcom didn't really give different crit rates to different stages, that's unnecessary.
I appreciate how the voice actor for Krauser went for a totally different take. OG Krauser sounded like a cold blooded merc for hire, whereas the new Krauser sound far more unhinged, driven insane by his experiences. When I first heard his voice in the trailer I wasn't sold, but after seeing the type of character they were going for this time, I thought it was perfect.
I still prefer the original for the VA performance, and oddly I like the mysterious dude from Leon's time skip that lets slip Umbrella's name, answering one question but asking more at the same time. Maybe because it was so unusual to see presentation like that.

Having said that, even as a fan I was confused and thought I missed something first time I saw him. As a motivation, they did well to present a story and not just through what's said. The dog tags are a good "Show, don't tell" addition. As a self contained story it works perfectly.

Maybe I just miss "Prepare for your death, Leon" from OG.

GenericUser

Isn’t there an auto sort function for the inventory? Do you prefer to sort them manually? Time between chapters doesn’t count.
It's not about the sorting, it's about managing the space. But if the time between chapters does not count, I'm good anyway.

I was recently made aware that Capcom still haven't fixed the issue from 2R where you not only can't continue from death, but you can't load from death if you want the timer to reset.
have you tried not dying?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

No, to the best of my understanding, time does not increase between chapters, also when you pause the game with Start, the time stops.

The game is pretty friendly for speed runners.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Typewriter pauses the time. So do your inventory management at the type writer storage.

Man, that Harcore run is getting rough on the island. God damn it…. No… Ammo…

Can’t tell you how often I’ve run into new encounters with only a few bullets basically praying after every killed enemy he would drop some ammo…

killatopak

Gold Member
Man, that Harcore run is getting rough on the island. God damn it…. No… Ammo…

Can’t tell you how often I’ve run into new encounters with only a few bullets basically praying after every killed enemy he would drop some ammo…
You can always use spinels to buy gunpowder and pesetas to buy resources. Equip craft charms and save before crafting to ensure crafting bonus. Last resort kinda thing. Maybe even sell some weapons you don’t use.

22:22:22

Banned
Damn that whole segment with leon in the cave and the rollercoaster ride and all was great fun.

The part with the uber plagas is just a ring around the rosy until the elevator's up isn't it?

Jada_Li

Banned
I thought I wasn't going to play for too much longer after completing on hardcore my first run, but I really wanted to unlock the primal knife and since I had unintentionally to intentionally saved up 60 spinels during my 2nd run; I used 30 on the exclusive upgrade ticket and used that on the primal knife I unlocked around chapter 3 or 4 I think on my 3rd run, thus making it indestructible. Now my 3rd hardcore playthrough I'm attempting to unlock the armor for Ashley and I'm mostly breezing through it on NG+. But I notice just like on my 2nd run, the better I play or the more fire power I have, the more difficult the adaptive A.I. becomes to still give me challenge. For example, I had not died ever to Del Lago in my 1st or 2nd playthrough but my 3rd, that enemy took way more damage than I remember, was a lot more aggressive and damaged the boat more and was more evasive. I think I died two times.

Ganados do a 3-hit back to back combo and at first I'm like, oh that's new and wasn't prepared for that at first but now it's consistent, along with almost every ganado turning and kind of fast that I'm not able to reach in time or because other enemies prevent me and there's 3 to 4 with sprouted las plagas. I learned that as the game progresses, the enemies are adjusted to what level you would be at starting a new game weapon wise so ganados have less HP in the beginning and that increases further along in the game or so it seems. I mean in the beginning with my mostly upgraded blacktail it was 2 or 3 shots maximum for ganados and now it's like 7-10 bullets maybe even more. Though, when it's too many I can't focus as much on headshots so that is likely a contributing factor but still even headshots take up a lot before they are down.

My first playthrough I used the rocket launcher twice, once for Salazar and the other time for Saddler. My 2nd run I was determined to actually fight and though it took me a few attempts I did it. And with Saddler I didn't have any more heals, was in the red and just chanced it on using the fully upgraded fighting knife and somehow defeated him, lol. I was literally one hit from having to start the fight over again for a fourth time, I think.

I know there was the adaptive A.I. in RE2R and RE3R along with other RE titles too, but the one in RE4R seems to have been improved upon and seems different than before to me. If RE5R is in production, it's going to be one crazy experience.

Fools idol

Banned
my platinum run going smoothly so far.

Just completed the following trophies in a single run -

* complete the game using only handguns and knifes
* collect all treasures on each map in a single playthrough
*do not talk to the merchant once
*kill the verdigo or whatever it was called. Missed this on my first run.
*complete the game in under 8 hours

5 trophies down.

Only have the difficulty run trophies to get now, and collect all guns (need the chicago sweeper from completing Professional mode with an A rank to unlock both those trophies).

Then the real challenge begins - get the S+ ranks on a new game with no special weapons etc and complete it within 7 hours for S rank. Fuck. This one will test my dinosaur hands.

simpatico

About halfway through my second lap on Standard. Kinda wishing I upped it one because I'm just mowing through. Riot Gun with upgrade ticket and Sentinel 9 with upgrade ticket. Decided to stow the Red9 for this round and do a classic laser sight run. Game is pure gold. What I want most from Capcom is Resident Evil 4 Pt 2. Just retcon it or do alternate reality, I don't care about the series continuity. Just make a real follow up to this game.

Okay platinumed.

Last run was pistols only. I spent the previous run (no healing run) stockpiling pistol ammo and upgrading all pistols so I could switch between them on the minimalist trophy. Even though I started with 1000 ammo and crafted/looted as much as I could, I was already down to 300 ammo by the time I got to chapter 9 and had to change tactics. The matilda is really fun on bosses with its high damage output that can kill an El gigante really fast, but it's too much of an ammo suck to be the best pistol imo. You gotta make every bullet count, so I would personally give the award to Red9, but that's partly due to my personal history with the gun. The crit bonus on the starter handgun is great too and it's fun to watch bad guys heads and legs explode more often. Really all the handguns have their advantages and I love that they're so good people can argue about which one is best just like the old days. Punisher is great against crowds in corridors and blacktail is quite balanced with its good damage, good precision and compact size giving you more inventory space.

Ammo got so scarce I ended up doing the whole double Garrador room with only knives and spent my time on the island shooting everyone in the foot and then knifing them in the head after they fall, which will always work as long as they're running. Krauser's knife is really damaging too so I made that my main knife and kept the primal knife in my inventory in case it ever broke. I saved the matilda for Krauser, Salazar, Saddler and pigmen but even being stingy like that I was down to under 100 ammo by the time I got to Saddler.

Bartski

Gold Member
my platinum run going smoothly so far.

Just completed the following trophies in a single run -

* complete the game using only handguns and knifes
* collect all treasures on each map in a single playthrough
*do not talk to the merchant once
*kill the verdigo or whatever it was called. Missed this on my first run.
*complete the game in under 8 hours

5 trophies down.

Only have the difficulty run trophies to get now, and collect all guns (need the chicago sweeper from completing Professional mode with an A rank to unlock both those trophies).

Then the real challenge begins - get the S+ ranks on a new game with no special weapons etc and complete it within 7 hours for S rank. Fuck. This one will test my dinosaur hands.
you can ignore the no special weapons professional run now as the handcannon can be scored by S ranking mercenaries, very easy with Hunk.

NG S+ on standard and hardcore are just time sinks if you run a professional A rank NG+ first with the infinite rocket launcher, so you can use chicago sweeper on those two. You can then unlock infinite ammo for the sweeper with spinels in the castle or buy the dlc and get it at the start of chapter 2.

Justin9mm

Any tips on beating Ramon? I'm stuck on him, first real trouble I've had. Never played the original so it's new to me.

Edit: Currently have Striker, Red9, Stingray and Bolt Thrower.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Any tips on beating Ramon? I'm stuck on him, first real trouble I've had. Never played the original so it's new to me.

Its just a dps boss fight. Shoot at him until he dies. Not much to it.

You can get a golden egg from his throne room using the cube but you will have to reload the save and redo the clocktower. The golden egg will take out 70 percent of his health.

Keep moving. The worst thing he does is a close range attack where he eats you alive, so you gotta hustle. But while you're moving, do your best to keep the camera on him because you need to know what he's doing and learn to recognize each move he does. Those gross plops he leaves everywhere can be shot to stop them hurting you but it's more important to see if Salazar is about spit acid at you than to watch out for them. You can dodge his projectiles using the stairs and other terrain, so when he does something like his big explode move, dodge behind a pillar and then unload on him while he's exposed for a little while afterwards.

As people are saying, the golden egg makes this fight easy and if you are getting frustrated, it's worth going back to an earlier save file to get it. If you really don't have access to it and you're struggling, based on the loadout you described I'd say try to unload some really good stingray blasts at his exposed weakpoint at the very start of the fight to get ahead. By starting strong like that you should be able to fudge your way to victory as long as you don't stand still and get eaten. If you don't get off good shots you can load the auto-save from just before the fight until you do. You can throw grenades in his mouth as well and get a trophy for it.

Fools idol

Banned

backtrack to the throne room for the golden egg. use it like a grenade on him for 75% damage in one hit

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
AH FUCK. I'll admit it. I did buy the stupid tickets for my Hardcore S+ and Pro runs. Having an immediate infinite ammo Chicago Sweeper and Handcannon for 10$ was just...an option. That I took cause why not?

SlimySnake

AH FUCK. I'll admit it. I did buy the stupid tickets for my Hardcore S+ and Pro runs. Having an immediate infinite ammo Chicago Sweeper and Handcannon for 10$ was just...an option. That I took cause why not?
hardcore S+ is way easier.

Pro S+ is manageable until you get to the cabin fight then the sisters fight and the mendez fight are just brutal due to lack of saves.

Fools idol

Banned
hardcore S+ is way easier.

Pro S+ is manageable until you get to the cabin fight then the sisters fight and the mendez fight are just brutal due to lack of saves.
I just slapped 6-7 mines on the spot where those hags with the chainsaws spawn in and they were dead right after the cutscene. You can do the same thing at most mini boss fights in the game making them trivial..

Soodanim

we can now pretend we all knew about this:

I did notice this, but I never tried to follow it as it seems to be way too small a window to actively follow rather than to use as a guide of when you should block next time . The reason I noticed it is the Island machine gun brutes cause a a hundred prompts even if there's a door in the way. The flashing gets your attention

SlimySnake

I just slapped 6-7 mines on the spot where those hags with the chainsaws spawn in and they were dead right after the cutscene. You can do the same thing at most mini boss fights in the game making them trivial..
The problem with the mines strategy is that im way too cash starved on professional. Id have to upgrade the bolt gun and that takes away precious dollars from the handgun and shotty upgrades.

Wrecking ball sequence was rage inducing. I am not an aggressive man but at one point I was almost at the point to shatter my controller. How fuck… Only at the end I realized it is timed indeed.

Everyone doing this trash: Keep one of the enemies alive and wait until Ashley smashes the wall. Killing everyone makes it 10 times harder.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Wrecking ball sequence was rage inducing. I am not an aggressive man but at one point I was almost at the point to shatter my controller. How fuck… Only at the end I realized it is timed indeed.

Everyone doing this trash: Keep one of the enemies alive and wait until Ashley smashes the wall. Killing everyone makes it 10 times harder.
lol you poor man. I guess you didnt know about the heavy grenade trick.

throw 2 at the wall and ashley takes it down in one hit.

on a handgun only run, it was hard as hell even on assisted.

lol you poor man. I guess you didnt know about the heavy grenade trick.

throw 2 at the wall and ashley takes it down in one hit.

on a handgun only run, it was hard as hell even on assisted.
I don’t exploit the game’s fault. I mean, I don’t even use the autosave feature right now.

Have to complete the game on Hardcore legit at least once, even if it makes me rage. Why?

cover1.jpg

SlimySnake

I don’t exploit the game’s fault. I mean, I don’t even use the autosave feature right now.

Have to complete the game on Hardcore legit at least once, even if it makes me rage. Why?

cover1.jpg
it's not an exploit though. you use these shortcuts on several different occasions. it encourages and rewards out of the box thinking.

Top Bottom