• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - "Lantern" Gameplay Trailer

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Decided to make a topic on this as some suggested mainly to see how it goes down:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=214031868

May make my first-person horror topic later as I do have some things to say as an enthusiast.

Agreed. Dusk, my man, you've done a great job with your posts, and you've actually gotten me much more excited than I was previously was. I honestly didn't know about quite a bit of the stuff in your posts, like multiple locations, set-pieces, various weapons, and so on. I still feel as though Capcom is doing a very poor job at marketing this game, though. If all of those things are a big focus in the game, they need to show rather than tell. Perhaps Capcom are just taking things slowly, but I'd argue they're taking it all abit too slowly, and leaving their fanbase confused and divided as a result. Hopefully, the marketing improves, and Capcom can give fans a more clear message of what RE7 is really all about. I really think they need to, if they want it to succeed.

This is indeed true, and I think some may not pull anything else from what's shown except... Well, what's shown, which is of course fine. I do know their big marketing tactic is to try and not show too much from the game before release, just tidbits, and eventually to have more demo's, the next one teased to be released in September (probably around TGS). Hope if so that future demo's show more of the game's other elements to get more people to... Well, you know, be sold on the game, like marketing should do.

I'm trying to figure out how canon wise, there can be all these video tapes lying around. With the demo and film crew it makes sense. I doubt there are that many film crews. Also unless a lot of the deaths are in the 90s. Shouldn't most of these be DVDs or on the Camera itself? Meaning the enemies or people before they died set this up.

I think there may be more than VHS tapes, but we won't know until later. I know one interview mentioned audio tape, but they weren't clear if we played as them or not, and one segment you also see is him picking up a cellphone in the E3 reveal, so I wonder if there will be a cellphone video (though might be for something else). I am taking it right now there's different 'excuses' to what we see in the past through, but maybe it is all just VHS tapes, which is odd if so.

Ryuuga

Banned
And that's understandable, surprisingly a lot more of the game was shown at the initial E3 reveal of the game (which isn't the same as the trailer they released on Youtube channels, actually it's a lot different).

Thanks for taking the time to extrapolate more from the media we've already been given. As mentioned by the others it has made me more interested in what the final game could potentially offer. I can't wait to learn more about the game. If they do end up leaning more into hiding then I at least hope it's part of a 'fight or flight' approach.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how canon wise, there can be all these video tapes lying around. With the demo and film crew it makes sense. I doubt there are that many film crews. Also unless a lot of the deaths are in the 90s. Shouldn't most of these be DVDs or on the Camera itself? Meaning the enemies or people before they died set this up.

It would be fun if there were a few secret ones that were DV or even a HDV cassette tape!

Brokun

They need to restore some goodwill here. They say it's not a PT or Amnesia clone but those are the only parts they are showing. They need a trailer that shows gunplay, zombies, BOWs, and mother fuckin herbs all in the horror and tension atmosphere that they ARE showing.

"No really we are returning to REs roots! Now here's a demo and trailer that is everything RE is not"

Lol

Layers of Fear
Amnesia
Penumbra
SOMA
Alien Isolation
Outlast
Hide and Seek
Dead Realm
Among the Sleep

That's not even counting all of the point and click games that are similar either.

Something "new"...

All of which are cheap ass low budget games, yes it is something new for a AAA developer with a AAA budget to be pursuing this concept, as whats out there hasn't really tapped the potential, can't get too ambitious on a shoestring budget.

The list is honestly pretty short too, so what because there's been 8 games with a similar focus no one else should even attempt anything with the idea? Penumbra is almost a decade old, 8 games across ten years is hardly beating a dead horse.

Jawmuncher

Decided to make a topic on this as some suggested mainly to see how it goes down:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=214031868

May make my first-person horror topic later as I do have some things to say as an enthusiast.

This is indeed true, and I think some may not pull anything else from what's shown except... Well, what's shown, which is of course fine. I do know their big marketing tactic is to try and not show too much from the game before release, just tidbits, and eventually to have more demo's, the next one teased to be released in September (probably around TGS). Hope if so that future demo's show more of the game's other elements to get more people to... Well, you know, be sold on the game, like marketing should do.

I think there may be more than VHS tapes, but we won't know until later. I know one interview mentioned audio tape, but they weren't clear if we played as them or not, and one segment you also see is him picking up a cellphone in the E3 reveal, so I wonder if there will be a cellphone video (though might be for something else). I am taking it right now there's different 'excuses' to what we see in the past through, but maybe it is all just VHS tapes, which is odd if so.

It would be fun if there were a few secret ones that were DV or even a HDV cassette tape!

Will be interesting to see the flashback excuses so long as they aren't all VHS.

They should go for what it is they're going for without fan pandering. If they did this they would be accused of being too "safe" in the current climate. Either they do something different which makes fans uneasy leading to bitching or do something too familiar which also leads to bitching. There is no happy medium with fans.

I say they follow their feelings and let people deal with it in the long run how they see fit. They're not obligated to anything specifically and if people want to immediately write it off regardless of how it turns out that is their prerogative.

That would be a terrible thing to do for a company.
Change the entire formula of one of the most beloved franchises without reassuring rightfully confused/outraged fans?

That is not pandering. Pandering would be what they did with RE6

This is called doing the right thing. The sensible thing. The smart thing

Do you think Rockstar would just create a fully first person, pure cinematic action GTA game and ignore the drastic change?

Toparaman

Banned
I don't think the issue with RE7 is that it doesn't seem like an RE game. I think the issue is that the only reason people are interested in it is because it's an RE game. If it was a new IP, I'm pretty sure the threads around it would be like 5 pages max.

Dusk Golem

I don't think the issue with RE7 is that it doesn't seem like an RE game. I think the issue is that the only reason people are interested in it is because it's an RE game. If it was a new IP, I'm pretty sure the threads around it would be like 5 pages max.

Definitely, though I would still be excited. (sits in his sad horror enthusiast corner)

It looks good to me in a general standing even without the RE name, but RE has gained a name for itself, and I think it does added extra intrigue how this all fits into the universe they've created, and how it decides to hold up for a numbered entry.

Caffeine

I see the lantern trailer like this is kinda boring, and then dusk golem comes with with a 3 page explanation on why this game rocks lol. I must see more.

RedSnake

Definitely, though I would still be excited. (sits in his sad horror enthusiast corner)

I'll sit with you!

Honestly, having "RE" in the title just makes it better.
Not only that, but "Biohazard" is there as well so we KNOW the enemies are not ghosts and are related to some, well, biohazard!

I believe the "VHS" parts of the game will be very Outlast-like. You won't have weapons and get killed if caught BUT you can replay them to unlock paths, items or story parts.

"The main game" will have combat and exploration with some "normal" enemies thrown in.

Seriously, just going down a hallway when suddenly a zombie/B.O.W. bursts through a door and you've only got 6 bullets in the handgun... or finding a switch and secret door opens somewhere... ALL OF THIS IN VR!

I'm really exited for this.
I'm scared as shit as well because I don't want it to suck.
I do believe one "combat" trailer will relax me.

RE4 changed RE (and holly crap do some of these comments take me back) and maybe RE7 will change it again.
For better or worse is yet to be seen, but i'm optimistic.

Just watched the trailer, I'm not into horror games but it looks pretty underwhelming, it screams "first attempt" all over the place to me.

ethomaz

Banned
Just watched the trailer, I'm not into horror games but it looks pretty underwhelming, it screams "first attempt" all over the place to me.
These trailers are only the VHS parts of the game... you watch and play them in the main game to resolve puzzle or change the past to affect the present.

wuth

I gotta say, I am very surprised so many people are seeing this for the first time. This thread is full of people going "looks like amnesia/outcast. where da wepns? why ghost?' without reading any of the other comments or even looking at the other materials that have been provided.

The game will have weapons. There are no ghosts. There is inventory management. We don't know specifics but that's what we know. No word on how intense combat will be either, but all information is pointing to this being a 100% hide-n-seek game.

Dusk Golem

Gamescom interview video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/17/resident-evil-7-developer-interview-ign-live-gamescom-2016

Paste the general synopsis I posted in the other topic:

-When asked if and how it ties into the Resident Evil series of past or if it'll feel like RE, the response is that they have selected specific videos and demos (plural, basically confirming there is more than one demo they plan to release) to showcase what's new to Resident Evil, but guarantee when you sit down and play it from start to finish, you will see why it's a Resident Evil game and should fill the desire for a new Resident Evil title.
"There's things we couldn't really show you so far, including combat scenes and resource management. and other things people want to see from a Resident Evil game. But just because you haven't seen them yet, don't worry! It doesn't mean they're not coming, we're just keeping our cards close to the chest for the time being."

-When asked about if RE7 has 'moments of campiness and more 'fun' things, as what we've been shown so far looks more serious, the answer given by the director:
"Well, we couldn't just scare you witless scene after scene after scene. There'd be no respite. So we are trying to make a bit of a 'cycle' in the gameplay so that you will have truly terrifying scenes, and then you'll have a bit of a chance to relax and recover your senses. So without seeking specifically whether there's humor, it won't just be straight scares every minute, as that wouldn't be fun in the end."

-Whether asked about why they made VR in a series that's had tank controls, behind-the-shoulder, first-person, 2d, etc., why do VR? The answer is basically, "to provide an option for a new level of immersion." But they aren't trying to make it so those who don't play in VR are missing the ultimate experience, or the game doesn't stand on its own without VR, they have in mind some people will want to play without VR, some people will bring their buddies around and play it together around a TV, and they're trying to balance it so it'll be fun for all different kinds of audiences who play it. Assure they've been thinking about different types of people who will play it.

Now so far they were talking about the Beginning Hour Teaser demo everyone saw and playing footage from that, they now start showing the Gamescom footage and seem to be getting into deeper questions about the game itself and the new lantern footage.

-Ask the question why they chose the location, it's very unique for the franchise, why did they choose the location they chose? Basically say they chose it because the isolated south is a 'classic horror location' that hasn't been explored so much in Resident Evil or even many other horror games. They wanted to go to an older style horror location.

-Asks about 'stalkers' in the game, and the stalker in the Lantern footage, the series has had stalkers like Nemesis and Lisa Trevor, but how do they differ here and can they tell us some about the enemy in the trailer?
"Yeah, so this is just to show the different gameplay aspects you'll encounter in RE7. The Beginning Hour demo covered one gameplay aspect, while this one shows another, an enemy you have to hide from, rather than one you can have a fight with. This new footage was illustrating that side of the gameplay."

-Interviewer mentions to the last question it is interesting to see them take this direction with it becoming more of a run-and-gun in recent entries, then asks how they decided what to implement from past Resident Evil games into this one from their series legacy?
"Our first priority was horror, we wanted to bring it back to the horror roots of the series. And that's what really influenced our choices when looking at past gameplay choices and styles, we looked over things and thought over things and asked, "Would this help make a great horror experience?" We have a lot of variety, this scene tackles the fear of wanting to hide from something that can instantly kill you. We ask ourselves, "Will this be scary?", before we include the feature."

They also add this after the answer:

"We want Resident Evil 7 to be the ultimate survival-horror experience, pulling from what's been done before as well as a lot of things players have never seen before. We have a lot of horror situations, in the new 'Lantern" gameplay we showed one scene of that, but again, just to reassure viewers who are like, "Where's the combat? Where's the item resource management?" These things are DEFINITELY in there, and we're just taking our time to show you one aspect at a time."

OH, THERE'S ACTUALLY NEW GAMEPLAY SNIPPETS IN THE VIDEO TOWARDS THE END. Show a scene of the player walking through a narrow behind-the-walls corridor where they have to shimney. Then show a scene of walking through an area, blur lines begin to appear and suddenly see a shadow of something approaching as the player begins to panic and look for an area to hide. They show a scene of being under the floorboards and walking beneath the floor as it seems the enemy is walking above them. But it seems these are all cut from a longer video, they could fit in-between the things we've seen, like the last floorboards one transitions to the scene we see at the end of the clip.

-Questions if the game has a mystery to it, it almost seems like you're a detective, is there a central mystery to this game?
"Yeah, I think you start off kind of wrong-footed, so you're not even sure what's going on. So there is a mystery element to the game, but as you play you'll uncover what's actually happening. And you'll discover more and more elements that'll remind you of the classic Resident Evil DNA. So it's something we want you to uncover for yourself as the game progresses."

-Interviewer states that while they played the game, they got major Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibes, that sort of farm horror, rural basements, animal carcasses, etc. Ask what sort of classic horror inspired these environments?
"Oh yeah, people pick up on the Texas Chainsaw thing obviously. We've got a wide variety of horror influences, whether it's movies, other games, comics, and other things. I'd like to think we're not just putting together these parts, just that we get inspiration from all sorts of culture. In the end we want to make a really unique experience, and we're confident that's what RE7 is going to be."

That's the gist of it.

Ooccoo

Going back to the roots, but changing everything else doing so. NOT a fan of RE7 so far. The game looks like a cross between Amnesia and Zombi U. Show me some combat and why it's actually a RE game instead of the shitty ghosts and jump scares.

KeRaSh

I was never really into Resident Evil. I tried but it never really clicked. This looks way more up my alley but it's probably way too scary for me...

Man the new outla......err.....Resident Evil game looking sick! Can't wait to play another hide n' seek title with very minimal combat. Wake me up when capcom shows the real RE game they are making AKA resident evil 2 remake. But knowing capcom that will probably be nothing like what people wants (REmake style).

Still looks like a run-of-the-mill Indie Horror Game. A real waste and not at all "Daring" like some claim. Much rather see the RE series return to the style of gameplay from the originals or even continue going batshit crazy with the third person shooter entries. This does nothing.

It's really bad when you wouldn't even know it's a Resident Evil game if the trailer didn't outright tell you.

All of which are cheap ass low budget games, yes it is something new for a AAA developer with a AAA budget to be pursuing this concept, as whats out there hasn't really tapped the potential, can't get too ambitious on a shoestring budget.

I don't disagree with your general point, but several of those games had excellent direction and at the very least Alien Isolation wasn't a cheap ass game with a shoestring budget

Neff

Resident Evil 7 will be INCREDIBLE on PlayStation VR.

On regular TV... hmmm. Bit too walking simulator for me.

This is a real concern for me. The idea that they may have thrown my favourite franchise under a bus to promote technology I'm not interested in doesn't sit well.

People in this thread are crazy. This game looks good. A high budget first person horror game that's not called Alien Isolation. And the replayability is gonna be through the roof if Beginning Hour is any indication (branching paths, shortcuts that affect timelines, etc).

This is going to be an excellent experience. Can't wait to play with my headphones (I loved the sound design of Beginning Hour). Plus VR!!

I think it'll be a good game in its own right, but apart from the seemingly random Umbrella logo in the demo and the title, there's nothing I've seen from RE7 so far that I can tie to this franchise.

IMO, it would work just as well as the original design. You'd just see it from first-person. All the puzzles would be just as stylised and engaging, the dynamic of dodging or fighting enemies would still be intense, the level design would still be seminal.

Definitely disagree. A lot of the original game's design is intrinsic to the third person view and vice versa.

Implied threat via proximity was something which was utilised very well in RE. The distance between your character and the advancing enemy or that descending ceiling, and the way the game framed it very specifically, was (at the time) novel and very powerful. Not to mention that a lot of the time you're being chased by things in RE, be they Hunters, sharks or boulders. If you can't see them as you're running from them, it rather defeats the point.

I'm not saying that RE can't work in first person, but I wouldn't ever suggest that you could move the full experience wholesale into first person and have it work as well.

God forbid they try something new.

There's 'something new' and then there's Street Fighter VI with the fireballs and crazy supers stripped out, and none of the combatants have prior martial arts experience because the player at home doesn't either.

because they're trying to regroup after their fanbase turned away from them after removing horror completely from their franchise.

In my experience the fanbase was representing and enjoying 4/5/6 just fine, and sales/critical reception/fansites reflect that. For some reason Capcom seems to be thinking that promoting the game in this fashion (whether it reflects the final game or not) will result in a marriage of the fantastic 5/6 sales and the popularity of Pewdiepie stream-friendly horror equalling $$$. To me it seems a risky strategy at best, and there's a very real fallout of old-school fans and new alike in this thread. Even I'm shocked by the negative reaction.

As an Old fan of Resident Evil series that bought PS1 for RE 2, Dreamcast for Code Veronica and Gamecube for Remake and Zero I will surely pass. Not the game I want

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My general sentiment continues to be that this look like a really neat Amnesia style game, but that it makes a lot more sense as a spin-off than Resident Evil 7.

Maybe at some point they'll show something that looks like it should be Resident Evil 7, but I'm only willing to weigh in on what they're showing instead of what they're saying.

cripterion

The list is honestly pretty short too, so what because there's been 8 games with a similar focus no one else should even attempt anything with the idea? Penumbra is almost a decade old, 8 games across ten years is hardly beating a dead horse.

Resident Evil 7 is considered an AAA game? I'm not sure we can call Capcom an AAA dev either.
In my eyes they are as AAA as Konami and their upcoming Metal Gear game...

Plasma

Banned
-Asks about 'stalkers' in the game, and the stalker in the Lantern footage, the series has had stalkers like Nemesis and Lisa Trevor, but how do they differ here and can they tell us some about the enemy in the trailer?
"Yeah, so this is just to show the different gameplay aspects you'll encounter in RE7. The Beginning Hour demo covered one gameplay aspect, while this one shows another, an enemy you have to hide from, rather than one you can have a fight with. This new footage was illustrating that side of the gameplay."
This is actually the sort of thing that makes me think they don't actually understand what made the old RE games great. Yes the Nemesis stalked you across the game but you had options you could take it on and fight it and actually get handgun parts from it. Lisa Trevor wasn't an enemy you hid from for extended periods either you spotted her and pretty much got the fuck out of there as soon as you could.

My general sentiment continues to be that this look like a really neat Amnesia style game, but that it makes a lot more sense as a spin-off than Resident Evil 7.

Maybe at some point they'll show something that looks like it should be Resident Evil 7, but I'm only willing to weigh in on what they're showing instead of what they're saying.
Pretty much.

The visuals with the excessive use of CA are garbage. I am still holding out on a cleaner look atleast during the day time but if the whole game retains this gritty look with the ugly textures and CA, fuck that.

I kinda like that they're making this a mainline RE game. Sure it could be a spinoff or a reboot. But by making it a mainline game they are emphasizing importance on this story and setting. It's in the middle of nowhere Louisiana. A place seemingly lost or abandoned since no one in the RE universe cares enough about it to investigate it with the proper people (Leon, Chris, Jill etc.) or pillage and burn it (Umbrella). Leaving it to be explored and trespassed upon by every day civilians. There's something kinda cool about what first would be a small sidestory about a forgotten dilapidated plantation in a swamp spiral out into a full blown incident (like Raccoon City) that will make it be worthy of being a numbered sequel.

It's nice to return to a more restrained and grounded incident in a universe where zombies, mutants and monsters are common terrorist/militia weapons that the news apparently openly reports on everyday. Look back on the past 4 RE games including revelations and look at everything surrounding the story and world. You have an entire African country inhabited by majini parasite dudes. You have wars being fought against mutant dudes who can use machine guns and morph into fly things. Shanghai gets nuked with zombie gas. The preside t turns into a zombie. In revelations you have a giant Atlantis city and SOLAR LASERS! Where do you go from there?

Honestly I will be VERY disappointed if the civilian characters don't talk about past events. Like, there should be a line where they say something like "maybe they're one of those BOW things that attacked China all those years ago!" If this takes place post RE6, there should be some self awareness of the supernatural world that they already inhabit.

SomTervo

I think it's significant that the game has the subtitle 'Biohazard'. This hammers home that there's a traditional 'Resi' backdrop behind the game. This 'family' must be infected with a new virus. It's going to be exciting to find out what it is.

You'd lose the tension of knowing a zombie is creeping up on you, being able to see it, and scrambling to move away. That's something that fundamentally relies on the 3rd person. Hell, even image how chaotic the village in RE4 would be if you could ONLY see in your peripheral. Part of the tension of the series is seeing danger approaching and dealing with it. If that's limited to only what you're directly looking at that significantly changes the game design, encounter design and how tension is built

Nope, I don't think that's true. A first-person perspective just means that zombies getting the creep up on your happens from a different perspective - behind you rather than around that corner.

What's more - around that corner is still totally valid. In games lik Resident Evil 4, Amnesia, SOMA, Alien: Isolation and Outlast, not knowing what's around the corner is still terrifying even though there's a player-locked camera. Remember the Regenerator section of RE4. Still terrifying even though the cameras aren't 2nd person.

And as the other person below mentioned, Resi 1 was originally meant to be first person. This concept of tension was always on the table to begin with.

I would be more excited if that's what has been shown. But dodging enemies and killing them when necessary like in traditional Resident Evil isn't whats been shown.

Luckily there's still plenty of time for them to show the game off so we surely have lots more to see. I think it'll end up being good.

Yeah, exactly re the bolded. This is a full AAA release. There's a high chance we've seen the tip of the iceberg. Resident Evil games traditionally feature a lot of progression in terms of locations and enemy types, and I doubt they'll stray from that.

Resident Evil 1 was originally going to be a first person game but was dropped because of hardware limitations. I think it could work, but I'm not impressed by anything I've seen so far. To feel like a Resident Evil game, it still needs features we've come to expect from the series.

Didn't know that. Cool.

I still argue we've seen the tip of the iceberg here. Resident Evil games are usually quite long and feature a lot of development in terms of locations/enemy types. Remember how little was shown of Resi 4 before release.

SomTervo

Can I just say that Zombi(U) pretty much is Resident Evil in first person (with some Dark Souls/Roguelike thrown in) and it is fucking great.

People saying it looks like an Amnesia/Outlast clone....this is a VHS section. Not your main playable character, looks like a playable audio diary

Well put.

You want this realistic drama to share a universe where you punch a boulder to move it

That's only Resi 5/6. Resident Evil 4 was infinitely more grounded and didn't include any of that. This game's tone is not dissimilar to what Resi 4 would be like if you played it in FPS.

Source: I've played Resident Evil 4 using Dolphin VR to inject proper head-tracking VR into it, almost making it an FPS experience.

It is fucking unbearable. It is terrifying. And it's so realistic and intense. Much scarier and more 'survival horrorey' than anything I experienced in the first few fixed-camera Resi games.

Definitely disagree. A lot of the original game's design is intrinsic to the third person view and vice versa.

Implied threat via proximity was something which was utilised very well in RE. The distance between your character and the advancing enemy or that descending ceiling, and the way the game framed it very specifically, was (at the time) novel and very powerful. Not to mention that a lot of the time you're being chased by things in RE, be they Hunters, sharks or boulders. If you can't see them as you're running from them, it rather defeats the point.

I'm not saying that RE can't work in first person, but I wouldn't ever suggest that you could move the full experience wholesale into first person and have it work as well.

1. As somebody else noted, the first Resident Evil was supposed to be first person. Their design and tension ideas were present based on an "FPS" idea.

I agree that there is absolutely huge validity to second-person (i.e. fixed camera) perspectives and that they worked brilliantly in Resi 1-CVX, but a lot of the same tension can exist with first-person. See my response above re trying Resident Evil 4 in Dolphin VR. It was fucking horrific and more stressful and terrifying than anything I experienced in Resi 1-CVX.

2. They haven't shown much of the game. As this quote shows, I think there will be a lot of the 'classic' Resi experience in the game:

Gamescom interview video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/17/resident-evil-7-developer-interview-ign-live-gamescom-2016

"We want Resident Evil 7 to be the ultimate survival-horror experience, pulling from what's been done before as well as a lot of things players have never seen before. We have a lot of horror situations, in the new 'Lantern" gameplay we showed one scene of that, but again, just to reassure viewers who are like, "Where's the combat? Where's the item resource management?" These things are DEFINITELY in there, and we're just taking our time to show you one aspect at a time."

This sounds awesome, and exactly as expected.

Anung

Un Rama
That's only Resi 5/6. Resident Evil 4 was infinitely more grounded and didn't include any of that. This game's tone is not dissimilar to what Resi 4 would be like if you played it in FPS.

Huh? Outside of a few tense areas there was way more silly and farcical elements in 4 than 5. Boulder punching aside 5 had a straighter tone than the 80's action schlock of 4.

Mecha-Salazar.

Neff

Too many people especially marketing seem to think if there's a way to defend yourself it takes away from being horror or scary.

Can you blame them when people dismiss RE4/5/6 as 'Michael Bay games' because there's an explosion or two?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";214010928]I mean, RE4 is one of the best games of all time and people reacted to that the same way you guys are in here.[/QUOTE]

I reacted particularly badly to the news that RE4 wouldn't be pursuing the same approach of fixed camera angles and exploring an interconnected map, but I respected the bold, novel approach they were taking, and I could still see the DNA of the series in Mikami's epic.

So far, I can see nothing of RE in this. All I see is uninspired, conservative bandwagon-jumping.

I think that's the real disconnect with the RE4 reaction comparisons. Based on what they have shown it looks like RE7 is chasing trends rather than taking the RE formula and reinventing it to something new, not just for the series but for the industry, which is what RE4 did.

Neff

I think that's the real disconnect with the RE4 reaction comparisons. Based on what they have shown it looks like RE7 is chasing trends rather than taking the RE formula and reinventing it to something new, not just for the series but for the industry, which is what RE4 did.

Quite. And speaking for myself, while RE4 did take enormous strides into uncharted territory, it still looked like a very fun game in its own right, regardless of the brand.

If RE7 has fun in it, they haven't shown it yet.

Can I just say that Zombi(U) pretty much is Resident Evil in first person (with some Dark Souls/Roguelike thrown in) and it is fucking great.

You can, but you'd be grossly simplifying the RE formula.

ZombiU is fantastic, but it's doing its own thing. The similarities basically begin and end with zombies.

Well put. These RE4 comparisons are really putting me on edge while the case is actually like you described. I am still cautiously optimistic for them to release an actual gameplay footage and not the walking simulator, which is what they have shown so far. But rarely have games been different from my first impressions.

I love the mistery vibe of this, a lot less ridiculous than re6 plot points. Still, we've seen countless versions of these kinds of games so i hope capcom delivers here.

Top Bottom