• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 9 details from a German leaker. Says 100% that Resident Evil 9 stars both Jill and Leon

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

This information comes from a German leaker who is apparently very reliable according to the people who follow him. His name is Andi from Screenfire Germany. According to Dusk Golem, Andi (who Dusk Golem only referred to as a foreign leaker) was actually the first person to have leaked the RE0 and RECV Remakes months before Dusk Golem and IGN even commented on them. His source is apparently a Capcom employee that he became good friends with at a Gamescom event.

All of the following information comes from a stream on YouTube, which has been translated from X user, Sapphire Weapon’s Charred Remains (@agonycrossbow). Sapphire has also been compiling multiple leaks and rumors regarding the Resident Evil franchise, so if you’re interested in that, it’s worth checking out their page for more information. Here’s their page if you’re interested.

https://x.com/agonycrossbow?s=21&t=mVRkhCS-CxRZx-VoD5zGiQ

The translated information from the stream is as follows:

• [ ] Says RE9 stars Leon AND Jill, not just Leon.
  • [ ] Jill is apparently to Leon what Sheva is to Chris in RE5.
  • [ ] Game is not fully open world, just has open world elements like RE Village and RE4 Remake.
  • [ ] Game was initially designed as a co-op game, but after the positive reception to RE7 and RE Village being single player, Capcom may have cut the co-op aspect.
  • [ ] When considering cutting the co-op, Capcom also considered cutting Jill as well to just focus on Leon and the single player. However, after reducing Jill’s role so much in RE5, they felt it was unfair to cut her again. Says he knows 100% that Jill is still in the game as a main character, he’s just not sure where she stands from a gameplay perspective.
  • [ ] Mentioned that if it is still co-op, he’s not sure how Capcom is designing it. Says it could be like RE5 and RE6, or like RE0 (where you could freely switch between them), or may just end up being two separate campaigns for each character.
  • [ ] Doesn’t know who the game’s supporting characters are, but suspects it’s most likely Barry for Jill and Ada for Leon.
  • [ ] Says RE9 will not focus on Blue Umbrella, and likely not on the BSAA cliffhanger from the end of Village either. If the BSAA cliffhanger is addressed, it will only be a small part of the game.
  • [ ] Game will be third person, but he suspects that first person will be added later to the game. (Similar to The Evil Within 2).
  • [ ] Thinks the enemies are zombies, but they’ll be faster and likely more aggressive since the slow, lumbering zombies wouldn’t be a threat to Jill or Leon anymore.
He also provided some other interesting information regarding the franchise as a whole.

• [ ] He said that the only characters who are safe from death are Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire. Anybody else (including Barry, Rebecca, and even Ada) could all be killed off if the story calls for it. He suspects that could be part of the reason why Barry might appear in RE9. Due to his age, his window of being used is limited, so it’s possible Capcom may want to give him one final appearance before closing off his story.
  • [ ] RE5 Remake was in pre-production, but was ultimately shelved (not cancelled) until Capcom can figure out how to handle the racism controversy.
  • [ ] Says that Capcom put out a call for a RE6 Remake, but nobody had any interest in the project, so it was cancelled and will likely never happen.
  • [ ] Also mentioned that each team/director isn’t bound by the story or cliffhangers that came in the previous game. They can tell whatever story they want to and use the characters they want. This is why there are so many unresolved cliffhangers and characters that are introduced and never seen again.
  • [ ] Also said that seeing these newly introduced characters (like Sheva or Helena, he mentioned) are unlikely to ever make an appearance again.
  • [ ] He also says that he tries to be transparent with what he knows and doesn’t know in regard to leaking.
Here’s a link to the stream if anybody here is fluent in German and would be interested in watching it.

In addition, there’s also another streamer by the name of Bawkbasoup who also claims to have some knowledge of Resident Evil 9 as well, and is pretty adamant that Jill is the main character and that it is an open world game. He mentions this in nearly every stream he does for Resident Evil, and has been saying this for about a year now.

Here’s a link to the video of Bawkbasoup’s mentioning Jill is the main character of RE9 and of it being an open world game.

Stick Up Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

[ ] RE5 Remake was in pre-production, but was ultimately shelved (not cancelled) until Capcom can figure out how to handle the racism controversy.

Kinda sad that we live in a world where if we kill a bad guy that is black it's problematic, but if they're Asian or white or latin, it's all good! Racism is only against one race apparently.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Maybe it's because I'm a little burnt out on the series but the seems like a worrisome hodgepodge of ideas (planned for co-op, but scrapped the idea, but will still have co-op and 3rd person but thinks 1st person will be added later) that could lead to a really messy final product (I guess that's on brand for Resident Evil's rule of three). I'm also a little surprised it isn't a 1st person adventure again as it seems Capcom likes to do at least three of any given style before a drastic makeover.

Last edited:
The question is, when will they reveal a new RE game?

hmm-thinking.gif

Gamescom?
TGS?
TGA?

In all honesty, I think a lot of things are being saved for the rumored PS5 Showcase where they show off the PS5 Pro(so August or September?)

Gotta have some heavy hitters(and not just first party) to really entice people to buy your upgraded system and Resident Evil on REngine is one good way to do it.

Jill was in 5?

Yeah, she was. A shame that Sheva is apparently back seat. I didn't mind her as a character. Helena was pretty lame in RE6..

I'm a bit remiss to believe this theory. I suppose Leon is arguably the most well-known and popular RE character, but does he *really* need the spotlight in this one, which other rumors have said concludes the whole storyline?

Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca, Claire?

Doom85

Isn't Barry relaxing on vacation with his daughter or something? If one character finally deserves peace from all of this, it's probably him.

Yeah, Barry is chilling……. (Revelations 2 spoilers)

and been unknowingly watching over Alex Wesker who has possessed Natalia’s body given the ending of Revelations 2.

Last edited:

delfrickintree

Gold Member
if capcom just charges 500 dollars for re5r and puts a disclaimer in the beginning, im sure all my white supremacist brothers will still buy it just to shoot african zombies

Yeah, she was. A shame that Sheva is apparently back seat. I didn't mind her as a character. Helena was pretty lame in RE6..
Helena is basically Sheva, if you drained every ounce of personality she had...
I'm a bit remiss to believe this theory. I suppose Leon is arguably the most well-known and popular RE character, but does he *really* need the spotlight in this one, which other rumors have said concludes the whole storyline?
Some people brought up something before in other threads related to Capcom, and that is that they are really safe right now.

Every choice they make, every game they release, is the most safe option imaginable. It doesn't mean it doesn't blossom into something fantastic, they have been on a streak in recent years.

But with that also comes the fact that, yeah, you are not gonna get Barry and Jill together on a game anytime soon. Rebecca, even less.

Leon is their safe choice.

[ ] RE5 Remake was in pre-production, but was ultimately shelved (not cancelled) until Capcom can figure out how to handle the racism controversy.

There is no controversy.....stop catering to the 1% that are candyasses
I have heard certain gaming Youtubers say they wouldn't even talk about Resident Evil 5 in their RE retrospective videos, or wouldn't play it today.

It is actually insane to me how much melodrama is surrounding RE 5.
They really do think that the devs at the time hired KKK members as consultants on the game.

SHA

DAT combo and Code Veronica Remake combo is a match made in heaven, I'm absofuckinglutely certain it has the potential to surpass every re game ever made.

violence

Gold Member

There is no controversy.....stop catering to the 1% that are candyasses

Devs please ignore IGN. I mean wow. Talk about changing a ship’s course because of a fart in the wind.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

• [ ] Says RE9 stars Leon AND Jill, not just Leon.
This is good, I've been REEEEing for Jill to come back for RE9. Looks like Capcom might agree.
  • [ ] Jill is apparently to Leon what Sheva is to Chris in RE5.
Please god no .gif
  • He said that the only characters who are safe from death are Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire. Anybody else (including Barry, Rebecca, and even Ada) could all be killed off if the story calls for it. He suspects that could be part of the reason why Barry might appear in RE9. Due to his age, his window of being used is limited, so it’s possible Capcom may want to give him one final appearance before closing off his story.
Ok but, why does a character even have to die? They can just... have them retire/quit or any other number of things and not appear in the story again.
  • [ ] RE5 Remake was in pre-production, but was ultimately shelved (not cancelled) until Capcom can figure out how to handle the racism controversy.
Confused John Legend GIF by The Voice

• [ ] Says that Capcom put out a call for a RE6 Remake, but nobody had any interest in the project, so it was cancelled and will likely never happen.
Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

• [ ] Also mentioned that each team/director isn’t bound by the story or cliffhangers that came in the previous game. They can tell whatever story they want to and use the characters they want. This is why there are so many unresolved cliffhangers and characters that are introduced and never seen again.
This is stupid and annoying. They should start being more cohesive, at least to the extent we know what's happened between games/events. It's like there's a main plot thread and a bunch of weird alternate universe threads within them that seem important but just aren't apparently?
  • [ ] Also said that seeing these newly introduced characters (like Sheva or Helena, he mentioned) are unlikely to ever make an appearance again.
This is an absolute atrocity and also retarded. Billy and Sheva are both more than interesting enough to bring back, and god knows they need more variety in their character lineup.

Anyway, looking good overall, let's get another mainline Jill game, eyyo!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident evil is trying to distance itself from Racoon city but returning characters deserves an applause
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
[ ] Says that Capcom put out a call for a RE6 Remake, but nobody had any interest in the project, so it was cancelled and will likely never happen.
This I don't actually believe
And I tell you why
If anyone would pick it up it would be the man himself, Yoshiaki Hirabayashi who has spearheaded the whole remake series.
It's is one of his games and I think he would want to revisit and redeem it, I can't see anyone being in his position who wouldn't
Yes it would mean throwing a lot in the trash, but I'm sure he thinks about it the closer they get to it.

Arachnid

I hope they completely redesign Jill or make her more in line with Voth. If they use her RE3make iteration again, I'll minimize use of her and just play it all as Leon if given the option. Hell, I might do that anyway. Leon is GOAT. All the leaks have brought him up as the main character. That seems to be one consistency, and I'm always onboard for Kennedy.

After RE4, I have full faith in a mainline 3rd person entry from Capcom. This will be great.

Jesb

I hope they completely redesign Jill or make her more in line with Voth. If they use her RE3make iteration again, I'll minimize use of her and just play it all as Leon if given the option. Hell, I might do that anyway. Leon is GOAT. All the leaks have brought him up as the main character. That seems to be one consistency, and I'm always onboard for Kennedy.

After RE4, I have full faith in a mainline 3rd person entry from Capcom. This will be great.
I thought her model in RE3 looked great.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Barry dying? Sheva never appearing again?

Angry Mad GIF by Pokémon

No, they would rather focus on Chris, Claire, Leon, and Ada. Jill is even getting pushed out lol.

And the duos don't even make sense either. Why not Chris and Jill, or Chris and Claire, or Ada and Leon. Guess there's too much sexual tension to have any of those duos (besides the second you you sickos) in the same room.

aclar00

Just add PSVR2 support and ill bite. If its 1st person with no PSVR2 support then ill past or at least hold off for a year.

Arachnid

I thought her model in RE3 looked great.
I did too at first reveal. I was hyped at the time. Then her character just acted nothing like Jill and came off extremely unlikeable. She was basically a completely new character. Now I just associate her RE3make look with how she acted in that game, and I'm extremely turned off to spending more time with that character.

Also, even discounting personality which they could adjust, she's a significant downgrade from Voth IMO

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Game was initially designed as a co-op game, but after the positive reception to RE7 and RE Village being single player, Capcom may have cut the co-op aspect.
Thank fuck for that.

When considering cutting the co-op, Capcom also considered cutting Jill as well to just focus on Leon and the single player. However, after reducing Jill’s role so much in RE5, they felt it was unfair to cut her again. Says he knows 100% that Jill is still in the game as a main character, he’s just not sure where she stands from a gameplay perspective.
Jill in RE5 was a fuckin' joke, it's good to hear that they're reconsidering past mistakes and terrible decisions.

Mentioned that if it is still co-op, he’s not sure how Capcom is designing it. Says it could be like RE5 and RE6, or like RE0 (where you could freely switch between them), or may just end up being two separate campaigns for each character.
They might release another BS crap like Re:Verse along with the game nobody wanted or asked.

Doesn’t know who the game’s supporting characters are, but suspects it’s most likely Barry for Jill and Ada for Leon.
Where's Leon there's Ada. Barry wasn't ever properly introduced yet (if he ever will be, I don't like this character at all). It'll be a terrible idea to show him first in RE9 before properly introducing and developing him as an actually good and well written character in RE1R.

Thinks the enemies are zombies, but they’ll be faster and likely more aggressive since the slow, lumbering zombies wouldn’t be a threat to Jill or Leon anymore.
I call BS on this. With limited resources even a zombie on the ground without legs can be a problem, let alone a few of them at once.

Question : What about Rose Winters ?
They took the character to an interesting direction in the RE8 DLC with those powers (shame that you only use them in 1 battle), plus, she's supposedly working with/for Chris.

Personally, I'd like to see where they (Capcom) could take her both story and gameplay wise

Top Bottom