• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Jawmuncher

Yeah Chris before the roids.

So pissed I'm away right now. Heard my copy got in yesterday and I'm trying to get home early to play it.

He was better for it.
No roids chris would have gotten his ass beat by everyone in RE5, just like in CVX.

there is some crazy-ass use-knife-only game-clear footage here (obviously spoilers for sb who hasn't played the game yet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTFA7mVuysI

And a neat "doors, escalators, ladders, lifts, elevators" compilation video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnGVyirtjI

If anything I saw that the modern controls are nuts.
He was juking zombies so easily it wasn't even funny.

Aggelos

If anything I saw that the modern controls are nuts.
He was juking zombies so easily it wasn't even funny.

Apparently the challenge comes from Capcom (to clear the game using only a knife), because the new controls facilitate such a "heroic" challenge.
With the old ones it's a sheer nightmare to pull something so demanding off.

Nemesis_

I'm actually furious at the new controls right now because I was doing a no save run with Chris on Hard and got to the underground caverns area and was instakilled. It was so frustrating because I just know with the old controls, I would've have even died.

GHBDYHBINUHBFUDJN

It apparently was only two hours of progress but they were such an intense two hours :(

I've also noticed that if you use BSAA Chris then Rebecca will automatically be in her alternate costume too - which I hate since I prefer her Medic outfit. Similarly, I swear that when you're using BSAA Chris that his face is different and changes when he's injured and whatnot. I've been speed running so I've had little to no time to notice such a thing though.

Finally, costumes are now selectable at the start of the game. You can choose between Chris and Jill with the left and right buttons, but the up and down ones change costumes. I thought this was just for the BSAA costumes but I've unlocked Jill's "Sarah Connor" outfit and I've been able to switch to that too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Two more of BSAA Jill:

and some BSAA Chris goodness. I still stand by the BSAA outfits being the best of the bunch, they just flat out look better. BSAA Chris also has infinitely better hair texturing. He looks almost 2X wide, but its all good .. Spencer didn't design his mansion to accommodate people as swollen as post-RE1 Chris :p

biohazardhdremaster_2ockn7.png

Sectus

The time we've all been waiting for! A comparison of the PC in the laboratory.

REmake: http://40.media.tumblr.com/389151fc082d20346af3fecf2aa0b859/tumblr_nahwryAF0q1tiz823o1_1280.png
REmaster: http://abload.de/img/remaster-part120044929vci1.png

REmake: http://40.media.tumblr.com/636b9ae19a04b11db9943bb73c3bb1e8/tumblr_nahwryAF0q1tiz823o2_1280.png
REmaster: http://abload.de/img/remaster-part120060923mefp.png

This is one of the few times in RE history they've tried to add lore friendly text to PC monitors. Even RE6 has REmake-style gibberish where they've taken random text from a website and put it into the game.

adamsapple

The new controls looks like it breaks the game. The game is built around the tank controls!

It also makes some parts really infuriating.

Like the one statue pushing puzzle behind the helmet key door, the quick camera cuts really fuck up the analog controls and you're often moving in weird angles.

Same for Lisa's caverns, basically any area with quick cuts has a very high probability of fucking up the analog controls.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
JAPAN GETS THIS NOW?! And North Americans have to wait for a couple or few months?

962.gif

I feel dat European pain now, I understand it.

Ye know when people post that image of the PS2's amazing first year games? Europeans only got about half of those in the first year, it was a fucking pain in the tits. We only got true release date parity about halfway into the last gen.

Chinner

Banned
Ye know when people post that image of the PS2's amazing first year games? Europeans only got about half of those in the first year, it was a fucking pain in the tits. We only got true release date parity about halfway into the last gen.

I remember when MGS2 was released the rest of the world was playing it 4 months before us dirty Europeans got our hands on it. It was so painful as the hype for that game was insane, but at least we got that making of documentary I suppose.

BBboy20

So putting aside the 360's black crush, the only difference is res ?.. Im still picking this up for the PS4 aswell, gotta reward Capcom for doing this.
When this was first announced, I wanted to play this on PS4 (don't have one) but then I've read the threads over time and now I just conclude that maybe the PC version would be the best choice to ensure the best vision of REmake is possible. Still, it's going to be a wait-and-see even when it is released here.

I always hated what they did to Chris after RE CV at least make his face look like it use to. Such a drastic change
Chris's face? He looks like the same guy to me, just beefier/better. Jill is the one that looks like she had botched plastic surgery IMO. Twice.

Also, RE5/BSAA Chris is the best forever and forever, amen. (Though he should of gotten his shortsleeved BSAA outfit instead. The only real guns you need in RE land.)

Nemesis_

I think I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew.

Chris
Hard Mode
3 Hours and under
No saves

Get to the Tyrant II battle.

dead

dead

iboPm97lOuY0qx.gif

I'm confused.

Did they lose the original 3D assets for some rooms or something? What are we missing? What's this filter talk and what's the excuse?

They seemed to be intact before, I don't believe *Umbrella (recycled assets) Chronicles* bothered to 3D model the whole mansion, but there it was, full 3D with simplified geometry.

Just ordered two copies of the regular edition for PS3 on Play Asia, with expedited shipping so it should get here (Australia) by the 8th of December... Awesome. Regular shipping said it might not arrive till Jan 3rd or something, so it felt worth the extra 20 or so bucks (and the shipping price was the same whether I was buying one or two copies which was nice).

I kind of wanted to wait and play the PS4 version but this game is so good I'm sure it will still be an awesome experience when that version comes out.

The second copy is for my brother who isn't much of a gamer but is into horror and likes RE somewhat, but would never download a game digitally anyway so might as well get him the physical copy now as a christmas present...

I just replayed the GC original less than 6 months ago (the remaster happened to be announced within about 48 hours of me finishing) but I know it'll be awesome to go through it again in 720p on the TV I've since got which is nearly 20" bigger than the one I last played it on.

Am I the only one here who prefer the original normal sized Chris?

I'd honestly like to see a middle ground between the original chris and the modern muscle head, the remake version of chris made him a little too slim IMO compared to the ps1 original where the design felt like his frame was a little bigger.

RE5 and beyond chris is too much of a walking sack of muscle, kind of fitting for the bad direction the series is heading.

Seyavesh

RE5 and beyond chris is too much of a walking sack of muscle, kind of fitting for the bad direction the series is heading.

bsaa flashback chris is actually significantly slimmer than re5 chris so that might actually be what you want. it's my personal fav costume for him specifically because of that- he's muscular, but in a real '80s action hero' kinda way which is pretty fitting no matter what genre it's in vs. ape chris or jewfro chris

when someone mods in re5 chris into this game you might get to see how significantly absurdly bigger re5 chris is in comparison to flashback chris

My CE came in, wasn't expecting it to have a reversible english cover(says Resident Evil instead of Biohazard too) and an extra English version of the manual.

Edit: The physical map is huge.

Edit 2: Fear my PS3's blu-ray drive might finally be dead :/ No matter what I do the system won't read the Resie disk, and it took 10 minutes to get Kingdom Hearts HD to work.

ryan13ts

So are the costumes the only "new" material in this remaster? I was kind of hoping for at least a new unlockable weapon. That laser weapon that was scrapped from the original REmake would have been an awesome addition.

adamsapple

Nope. Since RE5 he's Chris Roidsfield for me.

RE5 Chris is VERY wide .. that is true.

BSAA Chris is a nice in-between. It's a bulky Chris, but it doesn't look like roid-rage Chris just yet. RE6 Chris was good too, in terms of physique, but had the worst shitty hair ever.

That's interesting considering it's the exact same face.
Modern Jill looks nothing like original Jill IMO. Do you remember her Revelations render? They pumped her face with so much filler she looked like a Real Housewife of Raccoon City.

Also, RE5 Chris haters should probably make their peace with that version of him. It is his iconic look now, something he sorely lacked before. (His STARS outfit was nothing compared to Jill, and he was the perpetual second fiddle of the "core 4" until his appearance in RE5.)

Sectus

Modern Jill looks nothing like original Jill IMO. Do you remember her Revelations render? They pumped her face with so much filler she looked like a Real Housewife of Raccoon City.

Also, RE5 Chris haters should probably make their peace with that version of him. It is his iconic look now, something he sorely lacked before. (His STARS outfit was nothing compared to Jill, and he was the perpetual second fiddle of the "core 4" until his appearance in RE5.)

They did drastically change Jill's face in Revelations and ORC, but her RE5 face is the same as the one in REmake.

Top Bottom