• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Finally got the PS3 to read the disk, so excited to play through this again. Was weird to have the spooky voice say "Biohazard" though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interesting enough, the PS3 Trophy section lists it as Resident Evil, not Biohazard (for me at least).

You die so fast on hard mode, it's been a looooooong time since I've played this game. Game still looks pretty stunning at times, really happy with it so far outside of the weird aliasing on doors.

Hitting O to examine/interact with objects and having x be confirm in menus is real weird. Does this happen with all Japanese imports?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You die so fast on hard mode, it's been a looooooong time since I've played this game. Game still looks pretty stunning at times, really happy with it so far outside of the weird aliasing on doors.

Hitting O to examine/interact with objects and having x be confirm in menus is real weird. Does this happen with all Japanese imports?

It happens in some games, some are better and change the entire control scheme, but I have a Japanese PS3 too, so for this particular game I'm hitting O for every major thing..

though in a lot of western games, the button prompt on screen will say one thing, but actually pressing that button does nothing (eg in Far Cry 4, the map says "Press X to fast travel", but i have to hit O, because pressing X backs out of the menu for me.

That is far more annoying.

Sectus

I finished my second playthrough of REmaster, which was at Real Survival. That's the second time I ever beat the game on hard, and first time I played real survival. The funny thing is that the difficulty feels really difficult in the first half hour or so, but once you've got a good start and you've got a clear path to your item box of choice, it feels fairly easy from that point. I died 6 times in the first hour, and then only once more for rest of the playthrough (playthrough took 5 and a half hours in total).

Real Survival doesn't really feel that different from hard. You can't auto aim, and that definitely makes for an interesting challenge. I thought the unlinked item boxes would be a huge deal but it barely affected my playthrough. For the mansion, it felt like normal, because I always have one save room as my main save room anyway. For the residence and cave, it was easy because I got enough supplies in those areas to get me through. The only time it became an annoyance was the laboratory. I needed a bunch of supplies there, so I ended up having to run back and forth to the mansion once to fetch more supplies.

BBboy20

remake-part11-jill-gi11z2z.gif
She really did have breast physics! I wasn't delusional after all!

Found a collector's package at Bic Camera today and picked it up. It says download code "attached" (付き) on the box. I'm not just getting a download code right? My japanese is poor so hopefully this just refers to dlc.

Nemesis_

Anyone know how to get the
Samurai Edge
once you've unlocked it? I unlocked it at the same time as the
Rocket Launcher
so I'm wondering if that just overrides it....

and to confirm, none of these are usable in the Real Survival or Invisible Enemy modes, right?

I've been revisiting this game today since my copy turned up earlier than expected. Its still so good, took me a while to get to grips with it (modern RE has made me soft!). I'm playing the game through really, really slowly but enjoying every minute. I've mainly been using my knife, saving ammo where ever possible and I'm better at using the knife than I remember.

Graphically I'm mainly impressed. Quite a few rooms have scrubbed up well into HD, and certain rooms (like the outside areas with foliage) look fab, especially the glint of the moon on the wet floor tiles. Other rooms (like the "sleeping knight" puzzle room) look pretty rough, I wonder why certain rooms/areas look excellent while a couple of rooms look rough round the edges?

Found a collector's package at Bic Camera today and picked it up. It says download code "attached" (付き) on the box. I'm not just getting a download code right? My japanese is poor so hopefully this just refers to dlc.
It's a download code for a "special movie" Not sure what, haven't redeemed it yet.

What's the best way to push zombies off with the default control scheme? Wish you could just "map" the map to the select button.

AkuMifune

Banned
What's the best way to push zombies off with the default control scheme?

I swear that function is broken or I'm also missing something. The GC version you can push off zombies/dogs a little earlier but this version I can't seem to do it. Using the Original controls.

Graphically I'm mainly impressed. Quite a few rooms have scrubbed up well into HD, and certain rooms (like the outside areas with foliage) look fab, especially the glint of the moon on the wet floor tiles. Other rooms (like the "sleeping knight" puzzle room) look pretty rough, I wonder why certain rooms/areas look excellent while a couple of rooms look rough round the edges?

I feel like they treated everything equally, just that some environments didn't port as cleanly as others. Although I have to agree the lighting in the Aqua Ring and other areas needs to be tweaked.

I feel like they treated everything equally, just that some environments didn't port as cleanly as others. Although I have to agree the lighting in the Aqua Ring and other areas needs to be tweaked.

It might be the brightness on my TV/game that needs tweaking in that case, as some areas definitely look better than others. Either way, the game itself is just as fun as I remember, I just managed to beat
Yawn fight 1 and the elder crimson
both of whom were easier than I remember. The second boss went down in four shotgun shots.

Difficulty wise the game seems a tad different to how I remember (again, probably my memory of the game). I'm playing the game either on "normal" or "hard". Its the "climbing the mountain" option at the beginning of the game. I messed up and had to deal with a couple of crimson heads, I thought some bodies disappeared and others stayed which were the ones that needed to be burnt, but all bodies bar the ones that had their heads blown off stayed.
Also, zombies seem far more eager to travel from room to room than I remember. It really keeps the tension up that's for sure.

Melchiah

Hopefully they'll do something about it before the game is released outside of Japan.

I swear that function is broken or I'm also missing something. The GC version you can push off zombies/dogs a little earlier but this version I can't seem to do it. Using the Original controls.

I'm having the same problem. I can't remember having this issue in the GC original but maybe I'm (We're) just stupid?

Nemesis_

Does anyone know how you legitimately play as Rebecca? I did the usual things to make it happen for the achievement but Chris just had to go get it for himself...

Sectus

Wait, how is this possible???

Modding. Playing as Rebecca works fine for the full game. Tried to do the same with Wesker but that leads to a crash.

Does anyone know how you legitimately play as Rebecca? I did the usual things to make it happen for the achievement but Chris just had to go get it for himself...

I think there's two ways:
-
Save Richard, and then get bit during snake boss fight. You'll play as Rebecca getting serum for Chris.
-
Let Richard die, and you'll have to save Chris from plant in residence.

Nemesis_

Sectus, do you know if saving Richard contribute to the achievement for finishing the game without saving anyone?

Daigoro

Modding. Playing as Rebecca works fine for the full game. Tried to do the same with Wesker but that leads to a crash.

I think there's two ways:
-
Save Richard, and then get bit during snake boss fight. You'll play as Rebecca getting serum for Chris.
-
Let Richard die, and you'll have to save Chris from plant in residence.

:eek: never knew about the second one! or i completely forgot...

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
But there are some areas that look pretty grainy or woody and I think cvxfreak said this himself but it definitely looks like an oil painting. The best way I can describe it is as if you were playing a very old PC game with pre-rendered backgrounds and your PC has upressed the character model but just stretched the background - so your model really stands out on top of a weirdly grainy and static background. There's only three or four rooms total I've noticed this to be a problem so far but otherwise it's something I think needs to be mentioned.

Hmm I should go back and replay N64 RE2 after I play this based on your description. :D

Coda

I wish the PS4 version got a disc release in Japan. I would've imported it just to get it early and get a physical copy. I've got the day off, it's gloomy out and today would've been the perfect day for a game like this.

So glad I paid for expedited shipping on Play Asia, ordered early Tuesday and my copy was shipped a few hours later and is due for delivery today (Thursday in my timezone). I have never had something take 2 days to ship internationally before, awesome. Hong Kong to Australia in two days is pretty amazing.

Can't wait to play this again! Last time (earlier this year) I played on easy as Jill will probably attempt a Chris playthrough on the harder difficulty, not that I've ever gotten too far on one of those playthroughs haha.

The face when I accidentally hit O in the main menu because I'm in game mode and have to sit through over a minute of save/title bullshit.

liquidtmd

Banned
So the concensus so far for the port is good?

Bit blurry, uneveness in terms of how areas fare over others but a good deal better than originally expected I think seems to be the consensus.

I'm just glad I'm going to get to play it on PS4 at 1080p without having to drag my Wii out - I don't really care about other enhancements, game is one of the GOAT

Sectus

One problem I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that there's numerous music tracks in the game which are playing too fast (and at a too high pitch I think). I think there's 4-5 music tracks which are affected. I honestly never noticed much of the music in the game, so it took a while for me to notice. I'm not sure if this is xbox 360 specific, or if it happens on both consoles.

So the concensus so far for the port is good?

I'd say its good. As others have mentioned, a couple of areas don't look as good as the rest of the game but it still looks really good for the most part. I personally like the fact that it lets me run the game at 16:9 aspect ratio and not 4:3. Other than that its basically the same great game, and I'm enjoying every minute of it all over again. I can see me playing it through several times to get several of the trophies.

SURGEdude

So far I'm mixed on the port, but the game remains incredible. Well worth it for new players or PC when that lands. However it is hobbled by the limitations of up-rezzing and the new (optional) game breaking controls.

Still a must have.

PS3 disc version nearly completed FYI.

The main drawback is some blackcrush and loss of detail. Still that seems to be more than offset by the mostly well done resolution bump and various upgrades.

Sadist

Guess I'll get the Steam version down the line. One of my Cube discs has a very tiny crack in it, so I need a replacement.

SURGEdude

Guess I'll get the Steam version down the line. One of my Cube discs has a very tiny crack in it, so I need a replacement.

Despite buying the import PS3 disc I am most curious about how the PC build turns out. I'm hoping there is a drive to mod in some of the parts that are lacking or just to give the option to scale back some of the effects and provide a choice for gamers to choose between some of the new modifications and the original assets.

Edit:
Despite some positives I still think the GC/Wii original is the definitive edition. I hope the PC build can offer the best of both worlds at some point in the future.

SURGEdude

Is the PS3 version rendered in 1080p natively?

720P upscaled by your TV (if its 1080). Same with 360.

But frankly the difference won't be much considering this is mostly blown up 480P artwork. Though the characters will have a few more polys. Also I do suspect perhaps the next gen release will get a bit more polish. But it's Capcom, so who the hell knows.

Filben

But frankly the difference won't be much considering this is mostly blown up 480P artwork. Though the characters will have a few more polys. Also I do suspect perhaps the next gen release will get a bit more polish. But it's Capcom, so who the hell knows.
Ok, thanks for that!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

If they were going to go back to the original scenes and re-render them, they would have already. I don't understand why they didn't. REMake came out in 2004, surely they still have the original scene files??

Sectus

I feel kinda silly I've played through the game 5 times the last week, with this being announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a6-6QWyLGY

60fps, and hopefully being able to mod out door animations, is gonna make PC version a lot nicer to play. I was currently uploading a montage of all cutscenes in the game, but I'm gonna cancel the upload and just re-record it from the PC version at 60fps.

Capcom today confirmed that the definitive version of the critically acclaimed masterpiece Resident Evil is set for release digitally across Europe beginning on January 20, 2015 for RRP EUR19.99 / GBP 15.99. The game will be available on PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360 and PC.

Capcom today confirmed that the definitive version of the critically acclaimed masterpiece Resident Evil is set for release digitally across North America beginning on January 20, 2015 for $19.99. The game will be available on PlayStation(R)4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation(R)3, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC.

Will add to OT shortly. (Thanks again for the kind words, guys.)

EDIT:

Brand new 60fps footage of Resident Evil on PC!

Resident Evil - PC gameplay footage

Top Bottom