• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh my god! OH MY GOD!!

I loaded that video and saw "1080p60" and thought "Well...good to see they updated their video uploading pipeline..."

Then I saw that 60fps door and thought "Oh it's actually 60fps! Weird that they wanted to show off the doors so much."

THEN IT SHOWED JILL AND BARRY!!! AND IT WAS SO SMOOTH!

I actually gasped and covered my mouth! It's gonna support 60fps! I was NOT expecting that at all! Holy shit!

Barry shooting the zombie looked so great!

AND it has an unlocked option, so I might even be able to play it in 120fps. Wow I think they just sold me on a copy even with some of the watercolor backgrounds.

Oh my god! OH MY GOD!!

I loaded that video and saw "1080p60" and thought "Well...good to see they updated their video uploading pipeline..."

Then I saw that 60fps door and thought "Oh it's actually 60fps! Weird that they wanted to show off the doors so much."

THEN IT SHOWED JILL AND BARRY!!! AND IT WAS SO SMOOTH!

I actually gasped and covered my mouth! It's gonna support 60fps! I was NOT expecting that at all! Holy shit!

Barry shooting the zombie looked so great!

AND it has an unlocked option, so I might even be able to play it in 120fps. Wow I think they just sold me on a copy even with some of the watercolor backgrounds.

This. All of it. What a great initial reveal of the PC release!!!! So impressive!

Sectus

One thing I never realized is that there's one room which must have always been real-time rendered in the game. When fighting the snake as Jill, you can get this cutscene: http://abload.de/img/remaster-jill-part2-g6dc0k.gif

I assume it was handled the same way on the Gamecube, and the model assets comes from that. It gives a sneak peek at how the game would have looked if Capcom had decided on going the Code Veronica route of making everything real-time rendered instead of using pre-rendered backgrounds for REmake:
remaster-jill-part201ipcyp.png

remaster-jill-part201phdql.png

Mr_Zombie

I assume it was handled the same way on the Gamecube, and the model assets comes from that. It gives a sneak peek at how the game would have looked if Capcom had decided on going the Code Veronica route of making everything real-time rendered instead of using pre-rendered backgrounds for REmake:

It's good that they used pre-rendered backgrounds. Even in this example - where the room itself is quite simple you can notice blurry textures and simpler geometry, which would ruin the atmosphere. One of the reasons REmake was (is) so beautiful are those varied and detailed backgrounds.

Sectus

*runs around screaming*

I was successful in removing door animations from REmake when played in Dolphin emulator (this is with Gamecube version). It was surprisingly simple to do. I hate doing memory editing with emulators, but I should have tried this earlier. It's simply a 2 byte value ticking from 0 to 360 (once per frame), and if I freeze the value to 360 it'll instantly skip door animations.

When doing this, the door animation is only on screen for one frame and I get only the real time for the actual loading. There's also a quick fade in/out animation when you start to open a door which is still there.

Here's a couple of loading time numbers:

Main hall to cemetery:
Door animation: 6.9 seconds
No door animation: 3.7 seconds

Main hall to room with map:
Door animation: 7.3 seconds
No door animation: 2.8 seconds

I'm gonna see if I get this done on a jtag of REmaster version. I'm curious how fast the loading times are there. And on PC I am expecting loading times to be more or less instant.

Sectus

I wonder how could it affect game completion time. Are loading times even included into the final score?

This is the play time for a playthrough I did recently: 3:03:54
And this is the length of the recording of that playthrough: 3:02:46 (there was a tiny break in the middle of the recording)

So I think everything counts (even cutscenes) besides the pause menu. So I guess it would be illegal in speedrunning, or maybe hopefully be its own category. It would affect leaderboards, then again, cheating will be ridiculously easy. People added invalid times to PS3 leaderboards within a few days.

Capcom released a door montage of every unique door animation in the game and it takes 30 minutes in total, so that might be a rough estimate of time saved if those animations are skipped.

Mr_Zombie

It would affect leaderboards, then again, cheating will be ridiculously easy. People added invalid times to PS3 leaderboards within a few days.

Eh, soon after the release leaderboards will probably be filled with people "finishing" the game within 1 seconds anyway. Such a pointless feature when it's so easy to cheat your way to the top. :/

Capcom released a door montage of every unique door animation in the game and it takes 30 minutes in total, so that might be a rough estimate of time saved if those animations are skipped.

Take into account that you usually go at least twice through each door (going in and leaving a room). Not to mention, very few people optimize their playthrough such that they visit each room only once ;)

DedValve

Banned
Can't wait till the 20th. I wish there was a boxxed PS4 version I could buy.

I also wish 0 got the HD treatment.

Filben

Eh, soon after the release leaderboards will probably be filled with people "finishing" the game within 1 seconds anyway. Such a pointless feature when it's so easy to cheat your way to the top. :/
Exactly my thoughts. One of the most useless "features" ever.

Sectus

Just tried door skip on Wii version emulated, and in that version it is actually instant, there is no loading whatsoever. I'll see if I can get it working on 360 version on a jtag now.

Wonder if I'll be able to downsample this without the prerendered backgrounds getting all screwed up and out of place. Game would look great at 4k.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wonder if I'll be able to downsample this without the prerendered backgrounds getting all screwed up and out of place. Game would look great at 4k.

They shouldn't go out of place but the only improvement will be the aliasing and texture clarity on models.

I should really get back to playing through 0. I only barely got into the mansion area, but playing it immediately after playing REmake for the first time did not do it any favors. From (what little I've played of it admittedly) it seems like it isn't as well designed in pretty much every metric, even down to the camera angles.

The atmosphere is indeed dope though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Coda

Nothing like bringing in the Playstation anniversary like a remastered HD version of RE. Pretty excited for this to live on my PS4.

DedValve

Banned
Maybe 0 will be next, who knows.

For the longest time I had accepted REmake HD was a foolish dream and that Dolphin would be the only way to play it in the future.

Now anything can happen! Anything!
except a remastered port of Outbreak 1&2 with online support.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
If we are lucky maybe they'll forget Zero ever happened.

Hey, I like 0. Has a great atmosphere at least. Though maybe Billy should have his stupid tribal tattoo removed before an HD remaster.

And return item boxes. They turned out to be a good idea. Playing 0 for me was a slow, gradual process of transferring possessions from one room to the next, in case I needed them.

It was tortuous.

Sectus

That looks a lot less janky than I expected! It's super smooth and doesn't look out of place at all.

I think the only thing which looks slightly janky is that a couple of doors is visible on screen for one frame. Which happens when the value is not updated in time before the door is shown. But on PC version a better way to solve this is to modify the game's code rather than updating one value. And I imagine it's as simple as changing an "if" statement to always be true.

I like that part of the door sound is still being played, I think that makes the door skip seem less out of place.

Sectus

Anyone playing REmake on emulator or have an action replay for Gamecube or Wii, here's codes for skipping doors:

US Wii version: 04340980 00000169
US GC version: 042283B0 00000169

Neff

After finishing the PS3 version, I think I'm going to go back on my preference of the GC/Wii versions and say that the HD version might be my preferred version going forward. While inconsistent, the treatment and care lavished on the game is phenomenal. I do miss the FMV backgrounds, but the methods used to recreate them are surprisingly effective, and in cases even better, particularly the outdoor areas, which are stunning. The only standout areas to me in terms of looking sub-par were Lisa's cabin and of course the Aqua Ring, which is pretty much the only area in the game which looks outright bad. Otherwise though, it's a stunning effort, and I haven't felt this immersed in the mansion since I originally played the first game in 1996. I haven't tried the new control method, and I don't think I will, since the tank controls are essential for these games imo, both for smooth traversal and for maximising tension.

Pros

+ Unprecedented look at the Spencer mansion, being sharper and cleaner than ever. Clever and effective recreation/re-imagining of the GC game's assets for the majority of the duration. Intelligent use of lighting, bloom and depth of field to bring the mansion even further to life. Sound is clearer now, at least to my ears. The music and ambient sound feels more present than ever. New costumes are a treat. Realtime reloading is great.

Cons

- Some areas receive only fleeting restoration, benefiting only from upscale/filter/minor retouch treatment. Widescreen mode brings the visual limitations of the port to the fore. Detail from FMV scenes isn't accurately restored, and black levels are hit-and-miss due to the original game's palette being designed around CRT hues/gamma. Some effects lack the impact of the GC title. Slowdown is common in the PS3 version, particularly in cutscenes.

All in all, a fantastic effort imo. I look forward to trying the PS4 version.

Chabbles

Edit,
My copy finally got here. Its seems like a good port from what i've played so far, alittle blurry at 720p though.(Edit, this is the definitive edition god damn, so fucking good)

Some captures with default brightness.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Is there any way to change the controls? It's a mess to first check something with X then press O to confirm >_<

Yeah the controls are abit annoying, i cycled through them to see if there was a preset for Square to run and X to interact. no go.

Athreous

Is there any way to change the controls? It's a mess to first check something with X then press O to confirm >_<

What bugs me way more about this is that the in-game controls aren't even the usual Biohazard standard, it's always been run = X, square = action button and not O in the japanese versions. (Which they also used for recent titles in the west, instead of the old reversed standard.)

synce

Anyone playing REmake on emulator or have an action replay for Gamecube or Wii, here's codes for skipping doors:

US Wii version: 04340980 00000169
US GC version: 042283B0 00000169

This is awesome. I'd like to patch the JP versions of REmake and 0, do I just search for 0-360 (2 byte) in CE? And do you remember the memory range you searched in? I've never patched anything on dolphin..

Top Bottom