• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Guys, is there ANY way I can get the good ending WITHOUT re-doing the third episode? I REALLY don't want to replay it. :/

Pretty sure you only need to play ep3 Claire then straight to ep4 Barry (hopefully someone will confirm), but that's as quick as it gets I'm afraid

EDIT: beaten/confirmed

Lime

I finished it. A huge step up from Revelations, especially in terms of writing. I didn't feel queasy throughout like I did in the predecessor, and the gameplay and presentation were decent. The encounters could've been better, I like the gunplay of RE5 and perhaps RE6 a bit better, but the addition of stealth and mechanical interplay between characters were really interesting. It's a decent game all things considered, and not as terrible as Revelations and RE6 were.

Locking away all the extras so that you can grind to unlock concept art, costumes, weapons, etc. is all sorts of dumb though. I'm not going to grind for 10K or unlock all sorts of endings to see content that I paid for.

Astral Dog

i was at the part when
Alex
first speaks, and a zombie came to me, but he just..stopped and watched the wall, then runned to the door and dissapeared, this game can be genuinely creepy.

Yeah, I was hoping to get the $40 version with PSN's 10% off this weekend but I guess it doesn't exist? What do I need to buy to create it:

$25 Season Pass
$2.50 Wesker
$5 Map Pack
$10 Costume Pack

$42.50 is that correct? So with the 10% off, $38.25... not that great of savings, hmm

playing this game..i really hope Claire plays a role in RE7, I love her so much

my dream RE7 is Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire...The Original 4

wouldn't that be something.

Manu

playing this game..i really hope Claire plays a role in RE7, I love her so much

my dream RE7 is Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire...The Original 4

wouldn't that be something.

It would be my dream cast too.

But I'd argue that Chris/Jill/Barry/Rebecca are the original 4.

It would be my dream cast too.

But I'd argue that Chris/Jill/Barry/Rebecca are the original 4.

true, i guess its how you look at it

I know alot of people want to see a new generation of characters to take up the mantle of combating Bio-terrorism, but i feel like RE6 is not the right send off for Leon and Chris..

i wouldn't mind seeing those 4 (Chris,Claire, Leon, Jill) have one last final game, a proper conclusion of their stories,...and then starts the next generation

I finished it. A huge step up from Revelations, especially in terms of writing. I didn't feel queasy throughout like I did in the predecessor, and the gameplay and presentation were decent. The encounters could've been better, I like the gunplay of RE5 and perhaps RE6 a bit better, but the addition of stealth and mechanical interplay between characters were really interesting. It's a decent game all things considered, and not as terrible as Revelations and RE6 were.

Locking away all the extras so that you can grind to unlock concept art, costumes, weapons, etc. is all sorts of dumb though. I'm not going to grind for 10K or unlock all sorts of endings to see content that I paid for.
what's different about the unlockables from other RE games?

dlauv

So I finished both endings finally.

Writing was pretty good with lots of jokes. Moira was the huge black mark against it. She's worse than Donte.

Gunplay is better than 6 for sure, but it feels much worse than 4 and 5. And by gunplay, I mean the sound (pretty weak), weapon feel (aiming speed, recoil, general control), and enemy feedback (the feedback being pretty weak). I do -not- like the single player co-op approach. It's a bit tedious switching back and forth. If they continue this approach, I very much hope that the next one has jump-in online co op. I wouldn't mind playing as Moira or Natalia at all.

I did like decisions made in Claire's campaign having effects in Barry's. I feel like the episodes got longer and longer, and I wasn't a fan of that. I would prefer if they were all the length of Claire's first episode.

The game came out at the right price with an interesting episodic release schedule. I can't quite understand why people like this game so so much and want RE7 to follow suit, but maybe RE6 did just leave that bad of an impression. In that case, it's understandable.

I can't quite understand why people like this game so so much and want RE7 to follow suit, but maybe RE6 did just leave that bad of an impression.

Because why give a damn about ,,weaker'' weapon sounds and and weapon feel (which is solid anyway), when this title brings back the aspects actually important for a real RE experience and survival horror in general (atmosphere, slower moments, ambient music, creepy art direction, no more fucking enemy loot, no more QTEs, minor exploration, minor puzzle solving, low ammo, less focus on cutscenes, new story which at the same time feels like classic RE, etc.). And not only does it bring in (light/modernized) elements from the past, but also does some new things, which are far more appropriate for survival horror than most things in RE4-6.

Astral Dog

Wait, when did Revelaitons 1 become terrible? I thought people liked that game. I know I did.

Revelations 1 was ok, its an impressive handheld game on its own, its just that the game isnt as atmospheric or horror like as the old games like its supposed to, or has as decent gameplay as the newer action games, its a game that was underwhelming after the hype, also hated the story and character except Parker.

After it came ORC and RE6 wich were more dissapointing so i started disliking it a bit more, fortunately REV 2 so far is a good improvment an has a certain balance between action packed gameplay and slower, focused campaig with more emphasis on game design (this also is because the game is on more powerful hardware)

Because why give a damn about ,,weaker'' weapon sounds and and weapon feel (which is solid anyway), when this title brings back the aspects actually important for a real RE experience and survival horror in general (atmosphere, slower moments, ambient music, creepy art direction, no more fucking enemy loot, no more QTEs, minor exploration, minor puzzle solving, low ammo, less focus on cutscenes, new story which at the same time feels like classic RE, etc.). And not only does it bring in (light/modernized) elements from the past, but also does some new things, which are far more appropriate for survival horror than most things in RE4-6.

Im on chapter 2 but one thing has been bothering, the game has no music, nothing except for when the enemies attack, i know there are a few good boss themes and great remixes but its a bit dissapointing, i miss the melodies from the save rooms.

dlauv

See, I get that it has more SH elements, but I don't think it has -at all- has the methodical yet engaging pacing of the originals. This game feels more-so about marching (ie. running) through a bunch of over-sized dead environments, interspersed with poorer RE4 combat and roadblock puzzle solving. It feels janky and disproportionate. It feels like a fast game that constantly wants to play like a slow game without really rewarding me for it. I think it's wrong to ask Capcom for more of this without some form of criticism, hence my personal confusion. The best parts about the game to me are the raid mode (non-stop, poorer RE4 combat) and the writing (re4/revelations tongue in cheek). My favorite in the series is RE2 and I don't see how this is really much of an improvement over REv1 (writing and pacing maybe), much less how it's closer to the classics. Thanks for the reply though. I suppose closer to classic is better than not when that's what fans have been wishing for years.

Im on chapter 2 but one thing has been bothering, the game has no music, nothing except for when the enemies attack, i know there are a few good boss themes and great remixes but its a bit dissapointing, i miss the melodies from the save rooms.

There should have been some decent bgm in chapter 1 (which iirc also changes as the level goes on), but I think that's one of the few things which were still a little better in Rev1 too.

See, I get that it has more SH elements, but I don't think it has -at all- has the methodical yet engaging pacing of the originals. This game feels more-so about marching (ie. running) through a bunch of over-sized dead environments, interspersed with poorer RE4 combat and roadblock puzzle solving. It feels janky and disproportionate. It feels like a fast game that constantly wants to play like a slow game without really rewarding me for it. I think it's wrong to ask Capcom for more of this without some form of criticism, hence my personal confusion. The best parts about the game to me are the raid mode (non-stop, poorer RE4 combat) and the writing (re4/revelations tongue in cheek). My favorite in the series is RE2 and I don't see how this is really much of an improvement over REv1 much less closer to the classics. Thanks for the reply though. I suppose closer is better than not when that's what fans have been wishing for years.

;,Scanning'' in Rev1 and the equivalent with Moira/Natalia alone never really made me feel the maps were dead. With that, there was always something to explore, even on the most linear maps. And since this game is quite hard, I'd always be looking out for enemies. I remember in the final parts of chapter 4, how
tense I was going back and forth between the rooms for puzzles, while in the middle there was the lab with all the mutants in the tubes. So I was always fearing when they'd break out. Then of course, there instead was a jump scare somewhere completely different, getting me really hard.
Very good design. It's not like RE2, but it feels like the natural revolution within modern gaming. RE4 was nothing like RE, but if this title was RE4 instead, the jump imo would have been similar to Ninja Gaiden Black -> Ninja Gaiden II. It still has the same essence. Rev1 Jill campaign was still good, but always interrupted by the action minisodes and retrospectively, I don't like the story all that much after what Rev2 has done, which also felt more like classic RE (plus the way the narrative is handled).

Completed the main campaign earlier tonight. Ended up with the bad ending. Don't know how to trigger the good ending, but I'm not gonna concern myself with that at the moment. I want to try out Raid Mode

ezekial45

Banned
Completed the game earlier tonight. Ended up with the bad ending. Don't know how to trigger the good ending, but I'm not gonna concern myself with that at the moment. I want to try out Raid Mode

I highly recommend you reconsider.

The trigger point was the QTE after boss Neil in Episode 3. When Claire is trying to grab the gun, switch to Moira and have her take the gun.

Not only did you miss out on the Good Ending (which is AMAZING), but two additional episodes for Moira and Natalia.

I've finished Chapter 2 and so far I think I prefer Revelations 1 to this.

Yep I've finished the whole game and I like Rev 1's campaign and the levels/gameplay of raid mode a bit better. Rev 2 has a better story and way more raid mode content, so yeah. Love both. :)

ciD_Vain

Can someone explain something to me:

Why did Alex get scared of Natalia at the end of Chapter 3? I don't get what happened

Mr_Zombie

Can someone explain something to me:

Why did Alex get scared of Natalia at the end of Chapter 3? I don't get what happened

Play the episode 4 and you will receive all answers.

But if you want spoilers:
Alex's plan to "live forever" was to put her mind into Natalia's body (in few documents she talks about she being sick or something - she doesn't want to end up like Spencer). The process would take about 6 months to complete. In the meantime the real Alex would simply kill herself so that only one true Alex would exist. However, what she did not predict is that killing herself would trigger the fear and thus the virus she (for some weird reason) injected herself with. So in the end she survived and become a monster. Six month later, there are two Alexes now: the real one turned into a monster, and the one in Natalia's body still waiting to be fully awakened. The monster one is scared of Natalia because when the process is complete, Natalia's Alex will be the superior one.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Alex's plan to "live forever" was to put her mind into Natalia's body (in few documents she talks about she being sick or something - she doesn't want to end up like Spencer). The process would take about 6 months to complete. In the meantime the real Alex would simply kill herself so that only one true Alex would exist. However, what she did not predict is that killing herself would trigger the fear and thus the virus she (for some weird reason) injected herself with. So in the end she survived and become a monster. Six month later, there are two Alexes now: the real one turned into a monster, and the one in Natalia's body still waiting to be fully awakened. The monster one is scared of Natalia because when the process is complete, Natalia's Alex will be the superior one.

I interpret it as
She discovered that the Alex inside Natalia has awaken and she went into meltdown mode. In their previous encounter (in Episode 2) she wasn't afraid as she haven't discover that the Alex in Natalia has awaken.

ciD_Vain

Ahh. Thank you! That makes sense. I beat the main campaign and was still confused lol.

Did some Raid Mode as Hunk (and a little bit as Claire for the daily mission). Only did the first Gauntlet and 1st mission of Gauntlet II . Interesting take this time around, with the levels not being just going through the campaign sections like in Revelations 1.
Kinda weary on the weapon parts dynamic for this installment though. Haven't used any of the parts but just the thought of having to destroy a weapon to use the parts I put on that weapon for another weapon doesn't sit right with me.
For the time being, I'll just keep on collecting weapon parts and more powerful weapons before bothering with weapon customization.

i just finished Claire's Cap 4 and
I find rather stupid how Moira dies. How can picking a gun or not can decide if you will die on a rock avalanche is stupid...When I read that Moira died because of that, I thought she old have to handle some gun and die because she is unable to do it

Also, am I confused or the bad ending was the same as the good one, only with Moira being dead? Because I can't see how it can develop to what I know of the good ending, like the awesome Barry scenes with Claire at the helicopter, from what I've seen now like Barry at the Hospital with Claire

Yeah, I know I should just shut up and play to discover it myself

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I find rather stupid how Moira dies. How can picking a gun or not can decide if you will die on a rock avalanche is stupid...When I read that Moira died because of that, I thought she old have to handle some gun and die because she is unable to do it

Also, am I confused or the bad ending was the same as the good one, only with Moira being dead? Because I can't see how it can develop to what I know of the good ending, like the awesome Barry scenes with Claire at the helicopter, from what I've seen now like Barry at the Hospital with Claire

Yeah, I know I should just shut up and play to discover it myself

You will understand after you have completed Barry's chap 4 and Moira's extra episode. If not, come here and post again and we'll explain it to you.

Mr_Zombie

They never stated that Moira died right there where Claire left her. I suspect that she was still rescued by the old man in the sewers but without overcoming her fear of guns in episode 3 she simply wouldn't be able to survive for those six month on an island full of monster.

If Moira is alive then she shows up when Alex is holding Natalia and saves her by shooting Alex. This makes Alex not awakening in Natalia's body (yet) and Natalia not killing Alex. So since Alex is still alive, the epic true final battle starts.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Finished it, and got the bad ending. It really was just that. A terrible ending through and through.

Don't know why Capcom ensured that the majority would get the bad ending as their first ending. It made sense that you'd be
controlling Claire while fighting Neil, and that you would grab the gun as her rather than Moira
. It's just really weird they went this route and one little action made such a difference.

Watched the good ending on Youtube, and it owned. Very satisfying. Shame that I was to re-do one whole chapter to get it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Don't know why Capcom ensured that the majority would get the bad ending as their first ending. It made sense that you'd be
controlling Claire while fighting Neil, and that you would grab the gun as her rather than Moira
. It's just really weird they went this route and one little action made such a difference.

I didn't think it made more sense than swapping characters for that scene.
Since episode 1 there was this underlying sub plot of Moira being scared of guns and refusing to use them, so when Claire was pinned down and Moira was open I felt it made natural sense to switch, that it be Moria's moment of overcoming her fears since that was a thing during the game.

Ralemont

not me
After finishing it on Survival, the Struggle is my favorite gameplay section of the entire game.

You really are in control of your own fate. If you are smart and use melee effectively for scrubs you'll make it. But if you shoot wildly you will screw yourself. That "every bullet counts" feeling is something you didn't get even with RE4. That's old Resident Evil. It was incredibly intense as I dodged Revenants and swung my crowbar for their weakspot because I needed ammo for later enemies.

Definitely going to go back and get the S after I got an A. I just need to polish up the stealth section as getting spotted screwed my Retries.

I love how the microtransitations in Raid Mode decide how much damage you take from enemies (basically two slashes from a hunter take half or more of your health for example) and how much health you have from the start without Health Up.

Thanks Capcom

:)

Zambatoh

I love how the microtransitations in Raid Mode decide how much damage you take from enemies (basically two slashes from a hunter take half or more of your health for example) and how much health you have from the start without Health Up.

Thanks Capcom

:)

What?

News Bot

Banned
Could you point out examples?

You mean the "It's more reliable than any person." line? Yeah, it was a nice reference to CV, but something completely out of character for Claire to say. Especially considering her reaction when Steve said that in CODE: Veronica: *shocked and concerned* "Than people?".

The CV line is one example. In Japanese she says "I only use them in these situations." The complete opposite.

The file between Piers and Claire also gave people the impression that Piers might see Chris as more than a comrade, but the text between each version is completely different.

JP: 多忙な身の上、なかなか会えるチャンスは、少ないかと思いますが、またお話しできればと思います。
[Given the pressures of our work we’ve got so few chances to meet, but I’d like to talk and share stories with you sometime.]

ENG: Just between you and me, if you have any pictures of the Captain when he was younger, I’d sure love to see them! I hear he was very different back then, but he won’t show us anything…

In the Japanese version, Barry is more parental towards Chris and mentions that the S.T.A.R.S. survivors never talk about their relationships with each other with other BSAA members or close friends.

A lot of Gregor/Grete references between Albert/Alex are missing in the English version. Their relationship is much deeper in the Japanese version, with hints that she may not view him in just a brotherly fashion. It's completely neutered in the English version. This is ironic because the translators added incestuous undertones to CODE:Veronica that never existed, and Alex and Albert aren't blood related. It's also a key bit of the game's Kafka theme, since Gregor/Grete's relationship was rather close, almost to the point of romance. The Japanese version allows players to read into things a bit more and see different sides. The English version is extremely diluted.

It goes even further than Gregor/Grete. There is actually a mythological allegory to their relationship hinted at with the game's presence of Prometheus. In traditional Roman mythology, Prometheus was punished by Jupiter, the husband and brother of Juno, who is often depicted with a hand raised in a white cloak--- just like Alex's propaganda posters. "Jupiter" means bright. So does "Albert." You could say that Prometheus (Neil) was punished by Jupiter (Albert) through his creation, Uroboros. Though I think that's a stretch. On top of this, the song Alex plays before the final boss battle, Mozart's Requiem in D Minor, is a tribute to Albert, which saddens her. This is why Natalia hates the song, as she has Alex's memories, the English version gives no reason at all. The "transcend" line doesn't exist in the Japanese version either, Alex babbles nearly incoherently about denied, unapproved feelings.

This part might be pure coincidence but Alex is also wearing mourning jewelery, which is normally jet. However the texture of the stone Alex wears is obsidian, normally formed from volcanic rock. Albert died in a volcano and she wears it as a remembrance. It's quite possible it's also where she got the Uroboros samples from. In interviews, the developers have also stated that one of the game's key themes is family. Father and daughter, brother and sister... and quite possibly husband and wife (in Alex's mind).

(Thanks to Enetrinel for this information and the Piers translation, done by queenaltaria)

Basically, the localization of this game has a problem with tone, and characterization as a whole.

I probably worded it wrong.

What I'm saying is that if there were no microtransactions aka buying Revive Hearts for Raid Mode I'm sure your health meter would've been much bigger aka you could take more damage from enemies. Instead you can only take a few hits and you're dead. Even with the Health Up skill it gets tough at times.

Shauni

The CV line is one example. In Japanese she says "I only use them in these situations." The complete opposite.

The file between Piers and Claire also gave people the impression that Piers might see Chris as more than a comrade, but the text between each version is completely different.

JP: 多忙な身の上、なかなか会えるチャンスは、少ないかと思いますが、またお話しできればと思います。
[Given the pressures of our work we’ve got so few chances to meet, but I’d like to talk and share stories with you sometime.]

ENG: Just between you and me, if you have any pictures of the Captain when he was younger, I’d sure love to see them! I hear he was very different back then, but he won’t show us anything….

Um, I'm not sure exactly what you're implying here, but I think the English translation is meant as a reference to how the character model changed significantly with RE5. I didn't take "younger" to mean child but literally as in just younger (though I guess one could see it that way maybe). I really don't think there was a romantic or sexual undertone there, if that's what you're getting at.

Man, online Raid Mode co-op needs to hurry. Its no fun killing these bastards all alone. To make things worst, I'm playing with my favorite Resident Evil character ever. The one and only Jill Valentine but sadly it isn't the version I prefer.

Its the duck face version :(
rTKDLEL.jpg

baby-face-ew.jpg

When will you return to us(or at least a better model)
DJ5BWuI.jpg

mjcry1.png

News Bot

Banned
Um, I'm not sure exactly what you're implying here, but I think the English translation is meant as a reference to how the character model changed significantly with RE5. I didn't take "younger" to mean child but literally as in just younger (though I guess one could see it that way maybe). I really don't think there was a romantic or sexual undertone there, if that's what you're getting at.

Many people thought there was an undertone (I personally didn't). The fanbase is full of shippers. I know that it meant younger and I assumed it was just a bloke-y way to joke with their Captain.

Either way the change is rather pointless and odd.

Top Bottom